The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 15th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

I'm pretty sure that the epicenter of Buzzard Day celebrations (annually, on March 15) is Hinckley, OH.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/medina-county/hinckley-buzzards-return-buzzard-roost/95-2bb4d16c-e7e4-419f-842e-ee732b2e2a08

In college back in the 20th Century I dated a girl who'd been raised in Ohio, and she told me about it.

I know this one is a day late.  Mrs. XBGuy sent it to me last night, and, so, I found it in my inbox this morning.

image0-2023-03-15T101956_399.jpeg.8f71b1b26beaae7b83bc997f5cc7c219.jpeg

• Like 22

36 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I'm pretty sure that the epicenter of Buzzard Day celebrations (annually, on March 15) is Hinckley, OH.

I lived sort of near Hinckley for a decade or so, but never went there on Buzzard Day.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

@Vict0riann I'm glad you got to experience the Indian Pacific.  I was on it way back in 2003 from Perth to Sydney so even without the changes over the years our schedule would have been most different.  My recollection is that at the time the Eastbound stop was fairly brief and the best option was a quick bus tour of the city.  and I did not take any photos from the bus.  When I was on the train one strange thing I encountered is that at least some of the sleeping cars (the ones with tiny rooms on each side) the roomettes were wider at the midpoint than they were at the head and foot of the berth, and the rooms were staggered so on one side the wide part of the room came opposite the narrow part of the room across the hall leaving a wavy center corridor.  Was it still that way in 2010?

I thought the Podiatrist visit was quite successful.  It is a cold and very windy so the 2 negatives were some wrong turns on the shopping/Panera run after the visit, and a very cold walk into the wind from the parking lot to the office (it was better leaving with the wind at my back).  The appointment was at 9:20, I arrived at 9, was taken into the exam room very quickly, and putting my shoes back on at 9:15.  He liked what he saw and said I could now discontinue the daily soaking.

I go back in a month but generally am quite pleased.

Roy

• Like 26

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Vict0riann I'm glad you got to experience the Indian Pacific.  I was on it way back in 2003 from Perth to Sydney so even without the changes over the years our schedule would have been most different.  My recollection is that at the time the Eastbound stop was fairly brief and the best option was a quick bus tour of the city.  and I did not take any photos from the bus.  When I was on the train one strange thing I encountered is that at least some of the sleeping cars (the ones with tiny rooms on each side) the roomettes were wider at the midpoint than they were at the head and foot of the berth, and the rooms were staggered so on one side the wide part of the room came opposite the narrow part of the room across the hall leaving a wavy center corridor.  Was it still that way in 2010?

I thought the Podiatrist visit was quite successful.  It is a cold and very windy so the 2 negatives were some wrong turns on the shopping/Panera run after the visit, and a very cold walk into the wind from the parking lot to the office (it was better leaving with the wind at my back).  The appointment was at 9:20, I arrived at 9, was taken into the exam room very quickly, and putting my shoes back on at 9:15.  He liked what he saw and said I could now discontinue the daily soaking.

Roy

I'm pleased for you Roy.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I guess your next stop is Fort Lauderdale on Saturday.  That sounds like a slow sail to Florida if leaving tonight. 

Sandi, I thought that the Volendam was going to be at Half Moon Cay on Friday.  Maybe I'm wrong.....

• Like 10

Rain and rain/snow mix today, but it really does not matter as I am still pretty much house bound. Feeling better, have eaten some regular food, and I have gotten a couple chores done around the house. The house itself is a disaster. But I really only plan to unload and reload the dish washer and do one load of laundry. I am still sleeping a lot but getting a better control of schedule. My neighbor will probably walk the dogs later .... I got them out this morning with no problem. My temp is normal and at least I can think clearly (as far as I ever can). Hopefully in the next day or two I can begin to function at full force. I have things to do.

Susan

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, your mother is lucky to have you help her.  I don't want to be an alarmist, but we have a good friend who gave up on his CPAP for several years, then ran into some serious issues.  He now has a APAP machine, and is using it after the scare.  I hope your DH's doctor is monitoring him closely.

Lenda, thank you for the comment about my DM.  She is so deaf that there would be no way she could continue functioning through all of her appointments and understand everything. 

Thanks for the advice about the CPAP.  He actually has a physical next week, so we will see what the doctor says.  However, this has been going on for 20 years and I've learned you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  I'll try to gently suggest......

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  The clouds are moving in and the windy is still blowing.  It is 66F, so I will take my walk when I finish here.  Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, so I better take my walk today whether or not I want to.

The blue bubbles are definitely brighter and easier to see, but as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the new color.  There are times the brighter bubbles seem to dominate the post and draw my eye away from the text.  Maybe there is a middle ground between the old bubbles and the new ones.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, it has been a busy time for us, I'm still not sure we will be cruising - a lot depends on the doctor's appointment next week.  And my suitcase is not back from the repair shop.  I may have to buy a new one!  Sorry I have missed out on some birthdays and other festivities, and I have said a few prayers for those struggling with ailments and losses.  The new blue bubble is interesting - can't miss it.  And many congratulations to Ren!

I spent three days trying to renew my Nexus card - turns out now the US login.gov site is unable to access a Canadian landline, so, in fear and trepidation, I had to completely delete all my information, wait 24 hours to complete the deletion, and then try to do it all over again using Pat's cell number so they could use that to send me my secret passcode numbers.  What a todo.  Then I had to connect that site to my Nexus info, so that I could give them my renewal money.  Hopefully it all worked!  DH and DD have their birthdays in May, and they have cellphones, so they are all organized and approved for renewals.  I know I didn't have this much hassle the last time I renewed.  Then another  couple of days trying to get some airport assistance  for our flights.  Turns out it all should be done when you buy the tickets, one way we used Air Miles and coming back a TA, so the airline wanted nothing to do with me.  Eventually I managed to do do it on line for our outgoing (3) flights, but not the return.  I never want to travel again....

In 2010 we took the train from Sydney to Perth and one of the stops was Adelaide, where they laid on a bus tour around town.  There were some beautiful homes and other buildings.  That was an amazing train journey, Roy would have been proud of us!

IMG_0029.jpg.cde77691401cb6cd23467c8ddc6ea5bb.jpg

CIMG1509.thumb.JPG.f9fbf73843f9eba477d4f107720019da.JPG

CIMG1513.thumb.JPG.6d14e1f1ebc9042be1c491da3815a88e.JPG

CIMG1511.thumb.JPG.fa5fd70324a8a421311c3d4131268848.JPG

Ann, I hope Pat gets a good report from the doctor next week, and you get to go on your cruise.  I can certainly understand your frustration betting things organized for the trip.  Thank you for your pictures of Adelaide.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, I'm very happy the podiatrist was pleased with your progress.  It's always nice when you can get in and out of the doctor's office before the appointment time.

6 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Rain and rain/snow mix today, but it really does not matter as I am still pretty much house bound. Feeling better, have eaten some regular food, and I have gotten a couple chores done around the house. The house itself is a disaster. But I really only plan to unload and reload the dish washer and do one load of laundry. I am still sleeping a lot but getting a better control of schedule. My neighbor will probably walk the dogs later .... I got them out this morning with no problem. My temp is normal and at least I can think clearly (as far as I ever can). Hopefully in the next day or two I can begin to function at full force. I have things to do.

Susan

Susan, I'm happy your are feeling better and able to eat normal food.  I also understand wanting to tackle chores, but you are wise to do just a few things then take it easy.  Glad you were able to get out with the dogs for a bit this morning.

3 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Lenda, thank you for the comment about my DM.  She is so deaf that there would be no way she could continue functioning through all of her

thanks for the advice.  He actually has a physical next week, so we will see what the doctor says.  However, this has been going on for 20 years and I've learned you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  I'll try to gently suggest......

Sharon, as I said, I didn't want to scare you, but the situation with our friend was scary for a while.  I hope the doctor will have some suggestions for your DH, and does the doctor know how long the CPAP has been in the closet?  

Lenda

• Like 16

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks again to all for your congrats to Ren.  We're excited for him!

Maxine @AncientWanderer Ren is his official first name.  It's a Chinese name and his middle and last name are "American".  DDIL had a Chinese father and Singaporean mother.  They met in the US while he was teaching here and she was studying here.  The married, became official US citizens and raised four children here first, then in Singapore.  Ren's older brother has a Chinese name with American middle and last name, too.  Over the years we've called Ren Renny also.

My nose doesn't hurt today, just right after I slammed it into the door edge.  It could have turned out a lot worse.  I should use nightlights all over OR perhaps I should force my eyes open while walking in the night.  😵  The main bedroom is darker than the rest of the house because we have sun tunnels installed in the center of the house.  They let a dim light in at night, especially if the moon is bright.

Annie @marshhawk  I hope things are going better today for you!

Karen @luvteaching  excellent news about your DH!

Charlene @cunnorl  thanks for posting some downtown Adelaide photos for us.  Love the pig!

Sandi, thanks for sharing about Ren's name.  We sure love our baby Renny.

For years I've kept a little flashlight by my bed because I'm up so often during the night and don't want to disturb DH...and now also little dog Pocket.  My kids tease me that the neighbors are going to call the police when they see through the windows the flashlight moving around.  They might be right, but so far so good.  I love my little flashlight.

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everybody,

I have a question for anyone who has made a payment on a cruise lately.  We've decided to make payments on the Grand Australia and pay it off by June 1 to save 3%.  We have a pile of gift cards from both HAL and AARP.  DH planned to make the payments online himself instead of bothering anyone at HAL.

When he tried making a payment, even though he went through the correct booking, it instead took him directly to our next cruise (which is already paid off).  That happened several times.  Then instead of that, he got a "Bad Request" error message.  Just wondering if anyone has heard if HAL is having a problem with that part of their website.

He got it done by calling and giving all the gift card numbers over the phone, so the first payment is done at least.  It took awhile but done.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

When he tried making a payment, even though he went through the correct booking, it instead took him directly to our next cruise (which is already paid off).  That happened several times.  Then instead of that, he got a "Bad Request" error message.  Just wondering if anyone has heard if HAL is having a problem with that part of their website.

Oy! I'll be using gift certificates to pay for my next booking, but final payment is not due soon. At the moment it's my only HAL booking.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Oy! I'll be using gift certificates to pay for my next booking, but final payment is not due soon. At the moment it's my only HAL booking.

As long as you don't book something leaving before that cruise you'll be ok!  (just kidding!)  I do wonder what would have happened if we had no other bookings though.  It insisted on making a payment to an earlier cruise (that is already paid off).  I don't think it had anything to do with gift cards though because DH didn't even get past "make a payment" when it happened. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sandi, I thought that the Volendam was going to be at Half Moon Cay on Friday.  Maybe I'm wrong.....

Sharon, the original itinerary was San Juan on Tuesday the 14th and Half Moon Cay on Friday the 17th (I have my own Volendam confirmation in my files but we didn't take the cruise).  This week they've actually gone to St. Thomas on the 14th and San Juan today the 15th.  This is what cruisetimetables.com shows when I check it.  No mention of Half Moon Cay.  I'd sure love to know what those on the ship know about this but they are busy enjoying their final days and we have heard nothing of the itinerary the remainder of the voyage.  When the ship leaves San Juan tonight, I can try to verify the destination through cruisemapper.com.  Rich has a difficult job putting these Fleet Reports together, especially when he had to do it months ahead of time!  This morning I changed three ship's schedules on the Fleet Report.  I don't want to upset anyone with incorrect information.

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Sandi, thanks for sharing about Ren's name.  We sure love our baby Renny.

For years I've kept a little flashlight by my bed because I'm up so often during the night and don't want to disturb DH...and now also little dog Pocket.  My kids tease me that the neighbors are going to call the police when they see through the windows the flashlight moving around.  They might be right, but so far so good.  I love my little flashlight.

Good idea to use the flashlight especially if you have a pet who might get up and become a trip hazard!

This afternoon DB texted he got a last minute appointment with his doctor regarding his oxygen levels.  He is often in the 80% range.  At the appointment this afternoon he "flunked" his test and is now prescribed oxygen for when he needs it.  He says his new medication that his benefactor is paying for arrives tomorrow.  He and my twin and I had a little chat today about end of life plans and having the information written down for family who will need to know what to do.  They both have books where they can fill in all the funeral and financial information including passwords to accounts.  We need to look into that too.  Not a happy subject but necessary.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Volendam has left  San Juan, destination Fort Lauderdale.  I expect if HMC was to be a stop it would not be popular as I am sure it will be a big packing day.

Roy

That has not stopped Half Moon Cay being the port on the last sea day of the cruise in the past.

Lenda

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good idea to use the flashlight especially if you have a pet who might get up and become a trip hazard!

My former cats were both black on the upper part and white on the lower, the typical tuxedo pattern; the opposite would be safer for humans sharing the house. The Junior Cat is almost all white except for her tail, which is black.

Note that a flashlight is no help at all if you keep your eyes closed.

• Like 9