Cutting food up

Grammyluvs

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'd be shocked if the Assistant Waiter wouldn't take care of this for you.  A large share of their take home pay is based on tips!

Yes, we would definitely tip over and above the crew tips that are usually suggested.

This is a new and interesting thread.  I don't have an answer but my first inclination would be that your husband would be the first one to take on the responsibility.  I am sure if you asked your waiter, he would assist you.  But I can't imagine the waiter standing over your meal waiting for you to take the next bite.  Doubt the kitchen would send out a plate of cut up food (but I could be wrong).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I would rather have my DH do it for me.  We would switch plates until it was all cut up and then switch back. No one would even notice.  I would feel a little awkward having a waiter hovering over my plate, although I have no doubt that they would gladly do it for you.  Just my opinion.  Sorry about your injury!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 5

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

This is a new and interesting thread.  I don't have an answer but my first inclination would be that your husband would be the first one to take on the responsibility.  I am sure if you asked your waiter, he would assist you.  But I can't imagine the waiter standing over your meal waiting for you to take the next bite.  Doubt the kitchen would send out a plate of cut up food (but I could be wrong).

Oh no, I would expect them to cut the whole piece at  once. we sit at a table for 2 across from each other and thought it might be awkward passing back and forth but he would definitely do it for me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

But I can't imagine the waiter standing over your meal waiting for you to take the next bite.  Doubt the kitchen would send out a plate of cut up food (but I could be wrong).

It would almost certainly be done at the service station all at once and not at the table, one bite at a time.  Plastic lid comes off the dish. Waiter cuts the food.  Waiter serves the dish. Like deboning a whole fish.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It would almost certainly be done at the service station all at once and not at the table, one bite at a time.  Plastic lid comes off the dish. Waiter cuts the food.  Waiter serves the dish. Like deboning a whole fish.

Yup, perfect solution!  I didn’t even think of that.  Good one, Jimmy!

• Like 1

The waiters on recent cruises have been short staffed and run off their feet.  I would assess the situation first night and go from there.  I know my husband would take care of it for me with no issues.

Enjoy your cruise you'll figure it out.

• Like 3

I would say before the restart, they would easily handle this...our last 3 cruises the Jr Waiter (who would have done this, usually spends most of their time getting drinks (so many people have the packages & are ordering more drinks)...dinner service is running much slower now & everyone has less time for special requests but you can certainly ask & I am sure they or the galley staff will do their best to provide the assistance you need.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We once booked a last minute two week cruise (on Celebrity) when DH had two broken wrists and one broken elbow and had had two surgeries in the prior three weeks. A quiet word with our waiter had DH’s meals served in manageable bites.

Wow! How unfortunate for you both, hope he was able to make the most of the cruise.

• Like 2

Don't have the steward or kitchen cut up your food!  That's something your husband or someone else you are travelling should do.  While the steward is taking extra time with you, your fellow passengers have longer wait times for their service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife has several health problems.  Depending on the meal she chooses, she will need help with the meat.  Several times when I have started to cut her meal the waiters have offered to help with hers.  Sometimes I've accepted and other times not.  It does save having to pass plates around.   This has been in regular dinning and specialty dinning room.  At most travelled passenger lunch we asked to have the meat pre cut. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, damiross said:

Don't have the steward or kitchen cut up your food!  That's something your husband or someone else you are travelling should do.  While the steward is taking extra time with you, your fellow passengers have longer wait times for their service.

Last time I checked, stewards don't follow you to the dining room to assist with meal service.  No one is suggesting that as a possible option, let alone a solution.

And there is no way the kitchen would do this either.  Well, I suppose certain items would be easy, such as sliced duck breast.  But the kitchen typically doesn't prepare dishes to order.  They prepare dozens of identical plates that the servers pick up from a counter as they rush by. 

This is definitely an Assistant Waiter issue.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

Several times when I have started to cut her meal the waiters have offered to help with hers.

This!  This is not a big or unusual "ask."  It is more common than people think and well within the bounds of "good service" provided by the waitstaff. 

• Like 10

When we were on Enchanted last month there was a handicapped gentleman in CC;  the asst waiter cut his food for him most nights.  I don’t know why people think this is too much to ask for, but I would definitely expect them to tip generously for the assistance. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

^^^^This.