Frank Del Rio announces retirement

jerseyfresh72

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i wonder when Del Rio Jr will set up next in the future

I think he’s 65 y.o.  My guess is he’ll take retirement seriously.  Never know…..I’m near his age and I’m retired, yet do contract work for my old company on occasion.

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think he’s 65 y.o.  My guess is he’ll take retirement seriously.  Never know…..I’m near his age and I’m retired, yet do contract work for my old company on occasion.

Not sure but I think that he is in his 70's.  His family came to Florida on a raft when people were leaving Cuba in the 1960's.  When the Sky when on Her first cruise to Cuba, he had to have special permission from the Cuban government to return as there still is a ban on "the boat people" from returning.

Look at Del Rio's “transition” and consulting fees for the next two years!😳 And they say they have to reduce services while rasising fees to return to profitability???🤔

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/people-opinions/harry-sommer-succeed-frank-del-rio-ceo-nclh-david-herrera-new-ncl-president

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4

Well, there you have it.  Don’t expect the NCL brand to return to better entertainment, higher quality food items, normal portion sizes, or increased staffing for better service.  Those are the things that deliver the customer experience…thus differentiating NCL from their competitors.  Neither Soomers nor Herrera have any branding experience…both of them are heavy revenue generation.  While these two guys may deliver the return to keep NCL afloat (which is great if they do)…it will be done at the cruiser’s expense.  JMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

I will not miss him. 
hope not that his son  Took over. 

what is Andy doing?

Andy is doing very well.  Both kids are now college graduates.  Andy does a lot of consulting work and enjoying life.

Frank Jr did not take over.

Edited by www3traveler
Added a comment

55 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think he’s 65 y.o.

32 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Not sure but I think that he is in his 70's

i read something that said he was about to turn 7 when the Bay of Pigs invasion occurred in April 1961. If that's accurate it would mean he'll be 69 shortly.

32 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Look at Del Rio's “transition” and consulting fees for the next two years!😳 And they say they have to reduce services while rasising fees to return to profitability???🤔

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/people-opinions/harry-sommer-succeed-frank-del-rio-ceo-nclh-david-herrera-new-ncl-president

Ill never understand how they justify these massive CEO transition and consultancy fees with all the cuts being instituted. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

i read something that said he was about to turn 7 when the Bay of Pigs invasion occurred in April 1961. If that's accurate it would mean he'll be 69 shortly.

Then, I doubt he's looking to head up another cruise company.  I was guessing at his age.

Never a fan, I always found a certain arrogance about him.  Anyway there is an enough nepotism at NCLH that his legacy will be long lasting.  Friends that work there tell me it seems like half the company is related to FDR.  He made sure his family was entrenched.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Then, I doubt he's looking to head up another cruise company.  I was guessing at his age.

There's a brief non compete clause in his retirement package so he'd be  70 when that expires.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jerseyfresh72 said:

Ill never understand how they justify these massive CEO transition and consultancy fees with all the cuts being instituted. 

By going along with the system, the next generation of execs will probably receive the same benefit when it is their turn.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jerseyfresh72 said:

From a corporate standpoint, service cuts are good. Something to be rewarded.  

• Haha 1

Previously I was thinking FDR was driving the demise of the NCLH brands.  After reading the release, combined with my career insights of corporate management, I actually believe it is Sommer and Herrera who have been driving down the brands. And, the NCHL Board are loving the revenue that those two are generating.  I feel as though the Board are forcing the FDR “retirement”.  

Go back and read the release with a new perspective.  FDR is applauded for: 

“He has delivered superior financial results, expanded our fleet with luxurious and innovative ships, strengthened our global footprint and delivered unparalleled experiences for our guests.

Then read the About Sommers and Herrera.  Their experience is revenue, sales and operations—which clearly the Board is loving.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jerseyfresh72 said:

Exactly, we aren't exactly seeing how this is going to benefit our onboard experience.  And, do stay clear of competing in the China market b/c they are about to launch their own first home-built mega cruise ship from their own shipyard - not going to be another Joy 2.0 

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

His family came to Florida on a raft when people were leaving Cuba in the 1960's.  When the Sky when on Her first cruise to Cuba, he had to have special permission from the Cuban government to return as there still is a ban on "the boat people" from returning.

I’m not a fan of the job he’s done as CEO, but that’s a cool story. Anyone know if/when mainstream cruise lines will return to Cuba? 

7 minutes ago, wcook said:

I’m not a fan of the job he’s done as CEO, but that’s a cool story. Anyone know if/when mainstream cruise lines will return to Cuba? 

Never would be my wish.  Or at least not until their government makes a complete change for the better for the people.

Edited by Beaver1975
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Previously I was thinking FDR was driving the demise of the NCLH brands.  After reading the release, combined with my career insights of corporate management, I actually believe it is Sommer and Herrera who have been driving down the brands. And, the NCHL Board are loving the revenue that those two are generating.  I feel as though the Board are forcing the FDR “retirement”.  

Go back and read the release with a new perspective.  FDR is applauded for: 

“He has delivered superior financial results, expanded our fleet with luxurious and innovative ships, strengthened our global footprint and delivered unparalleled experiences for our guests.

Then read the About Sommers and Herrera.  Their experience is revenue, sales and operations—which clearly the Board is loving.

This is an interesting perspective - feels pretty plausible. 

• Thanks 1