Influencers onboard

zitsky

I actually AM one of those creators!  While it's likely that I'll have a camera nearby, I always ask permission to take pictures before they even make it to the cutting room floor.  If you tell me "no", I will gladly not take that shot.  Yes I have videos to do, but you also have the rite to privacy.  

And no, I'm not the kind that will take videos of everything.  I usually film the sail away and maybe 1 or 2 other events, but other than that, it's still shots.  I think I got maybe 5 video clips last time.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

Largely depends on the situation each time and on a case-by-case basis. If it's not time-sensitive then we can always come back and do it another time if there's too many guests. But then that begs the question: we can come back another time of day or when the ship is in port and less crowded, but even if there are still people there, we still have to get footage of those venues etc.  

The defense rests...

16 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

sharing what cruise ships have to offer and share our passion of cruising to the community.

I found online videos invaluable while booking our first cruise. I'm glad there are people doing this and wouldn't be bothered seeing a person/business filming in my vicinity.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

I'm part of a content creator and do this exactly for the reasons mentioned above, sharing what cruise ships have to offer and share our passion of cruising to the community. I can say from experience that we don't try to get in the way of others, unless they seem very receptive to wanting to be filmed and join in the fun. Otherwise, most of the times, we will just try to be as discrete as possible for a not very discrete activity. 

We are also nice people, or at least i hope we come across as that XD. 

I'll be curating content on Beyond in June when i'm on her in the Med. I hope the passengers onboard I bump into won't be annoyed whilst filming and taking pictures 😅 

I'm a Content Creator too and will gladly pose for the camera if I'm ever on a cruise with you.  I'll be on the Summit in October, Venezia in April, and Solstice in October 2024.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Really?  I would be angry to be told I needed to change my plans because someone is making a video to make money.  Last time I looked it doesn't say anything that bloggers MUST be given exclusive access to any venue on board. 

I have no information on the arrangements the vloggers/YouTubers in this thread hade made, but in some cases, they are paid by the tourism provider (i.e., cruise line) to produce content so that really figures into how much access they have and if they are given priority access. 

34 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I have no information on the arrangements the vloggers/YouTubers in this thread hade made, but in some cases, they are paid by the tourism provider (i.e., cruise line) to produce content so that really figures into how much access they have and if they are given priority access. 

I don’t care if the President paid them to take videos.  I just want them to be considerate of others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree with mist of what you have said.  Do think always taking a table for two certainly limits the possibilities of meeting new and interesting people.  Over the years met several people who became life long friends.

Nothing says you ever need to speak to them again after your meal.

Some are not on the ship to meet new friends and having other people at there table can ruin a meal for some of us, for sure has ruined meals for me. That is the time I get a choice, at least on Celebrity I do. 

Public spaces, Disney and all the kids on there taught me how to ignore everything going on around me. So I am very tolerant there, maybe too much in some cases. 

Also how often is this really taking place? I can’t believe it is on every cruise. I have 5 or 6 I subscribe to including one who used to work on ships. 

Edited by cgolf1

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t care if the President paid them to take videos.  I just want them to be considerate of others.

People who are paid by businesses to create content are generally considerate. It would be counter intuitive to pay someone to create a promotion for your brand and then allow them to anger your existing customers. 

We’ve been on lots of ships when sections have been cordoned off for the Cruise Director to record a video update. It’s the same thing. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

The defense rests...

I mean I don't really need to say anymore. If you still believe the way you do that's your perogative and you're entitled to that. My goal wasn't to change your perspective, it was to educate you that we try to be as considerate as we can to cruise passengers with every opportunity we have. If your mindset is set so far as to be following only one perspective and not being influenced by what others tell you then that's fine. I'm not going to tell you how to think or feel. But in the end, you lose having a great chat to any one of us onboard which may provide invaluable information about your next cruise and that's on you. Happy Sailing 🙂

• Like 4

6 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I'm a Content Creator too and will gladly pose for the camera if I'm ever on a cruise with you.  I'll be on the Summit in October, Venezia in April, and Solstice in October 2024.

Sure of course! Come say hi if you ever see me onboard!

Honestly, I only use videos by a few travel professionals - NOT vloggers or "content creators" as they pretentiously like to be called - when it comes to choosing a ship. I'd rather see their ship tours as they focus on what actually matters to me. I'll look for cabin tours early on, but then leave it alone.

I don't want to watch someone else on vacation. I want to be on vacation. If I can't be, there are professional travel documentaries to be found everywhere - I don't need to stroke the egos and line the pockets of regular people who think they're all that with a camera and a mic.

• Like 3

I also have found the YouTube cabin/ship tours very useful for ships that are new to me.  I tend to go for the more polished videos with great editing versus the more amateur lot done by people just documenting their vacation with their phone camera (although I do like watching videos by people complaining about every aspect of the cruise - very entertaining!).  I could be wrong, but it seems that most of the more professional videos are done during preview events (as most places they are shooting are empty) vs. a crowded ship on a sea day.

The Beyond is a sexy/Instagram-able/YouTube-able ship and Celebrity is certainly playing to its strengths with its current commercial campaign!  Go make that money on YouTube!  My sister and her husband have a farm YouTube channel and make close to six-figures! 

1 minute ago, momofmab said:

I also have found the YouTube cabin/ship tours very useful for ships that are new to me.  I tend to go for the more polished videos with great editing versus the more amateur lot done by people just documenting their vacation with their phone camera (although I do like watching videos by people complaining about every aspect of the cruise - very entertaining!).  I could be wrong, but it seems that most of the more professional videos are done during preview events (as most places they are shooting are empty) vs. a crowded ship on a sea day.

The Beyond is a sexy/Instagram-able/YouTube-able ship and Celebrity is certainly playing to its strengths with its current commercial campaign!  Go make that money on YouTube!  My sister and her husband have a farm YouTube channel and make close to six-figures! 

I watch YouTube videos often but I keep in mind that some of them are being sponsored and getting free stuff so they can’t be trusted.  There was one young woman in my building who reviews tech products and she was getting deliveries every day from tech companies. She gushed about the products. But basically she was shilling to make a living and getting free stuff. Could not trust much on her videos. There are others who are making money from YouTube based on the number of subscribers and who do put up interesting videos. Still I keep in mind that they are paid to influence. I am currently researching home espresso machines as I might buy one and lots of interesting videos but the manufacturers are providing the gear. No one could own all of that gear. Most influencers are not going to say a machine is trash because they won’t get the machines to review but I can still learn something if I watch 20 videos. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I watch YouTube videos often but I keep in mind that some of them are being sponsored and getting free stuff so they can’t be trusted.  There was one young woman in my building who reviews tech products and she was getting deliveries every day from tech companies. She gushed about the products. But basically she was shilling to make a living and getting free stuff. Could not trust much on her videos. There are others who are making money from YouTube based on the number of subscribers and who do put up interesting videos. Still I keep in mind that they are paid to influence. I am currently researching home espresso machines as I might buy one and lots of interesting videos but the manufacturers are providing the gear. No one could own all of that gear. Most influencers are not going to say a machine is trash because they won’t get the machines to review but I can still learn something if I watch 20 videos. 

We have a Smeg espresso machine and separate frother , 

does make me an influencer?

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

On 3/30/2023 at 4:10 PM, zitsky said:

That’s the point.  I don’t want to notice them! 

I'm not talking about someone who videos their cabin or takes pictures.  Maybe you get lucky and a pool is empty when you want to shoot video.  But taking over a space for their own use is not ok.  Don’t run around the buffet expecting everyone to wait for you.

Maybe they don't want to notice you either.  lol

• Like 1

I read through this entire thread and I don't think Vloggers, Youtubers, Instagrammers, Promoters, Photographers, Kodak Camerapeople, etc are legitimate concerns of the OP.  It's not like you'll be on a 24 foot sailboat with a documentarian with no escape. 

There are many places you can go if anyone onboard is annoying and I assure you, on a cruise, there will be people who annoy you, just as you will likely annoy someone else. .  

It surprises me how many responders take this concern seriously.  I think this thread is here to stir the sh*t.  The goal was achieved. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Honestly, I only use videos by a few travel professionals - NOT vloggers or "content creators" as they pretentiously like to be called - when it comes to choosing a ship. I'd rather see their ship tours as they focus on what actually matters to me. I'll look for cabin tours early on, but then leave it alone.

I don't want to watch someone else on vacation. I want to be on vacation. If I can't be, there are professional travel documentaries to be found everywhere - I don't need to stroke the egos and line the pockets of regular people who think they're all that with a camera and a mic.

And before anyone brings it up, yes, I did ONE cabin tour video. ONE. Of my Edge Solo IV cabin. Because the only other cabin tour video I could find was not in English. I did it myself in my cabin with my iPhone. And it was not professional - but it hit the things I look for in cabin reviews. And it filled a need that wasn't filled to that point. (My YouTube has THREE videos uploaded - the cabin tour, my sky dive with SkyDive Key West, and my dinner at Eden. The dinner was because I had not found a video about dinner there covering someone who eats gluten-free.)

Will I do one of my aft Aqua Class on the Summit in July? Possibly for my private Insta or FB - but not to publish to YouTube because there are a lot of those already out there. No one needs another one - at least until there is another major change.

It's the over-saturation of the same old same old that annoys me most about vloggers.

• Like 1

On the reflection last year in Michael's / Retreat Lounge we got chatting to a woman who had been invited on board by Celebrity to share content online and was told to film as much as possible. She and her brother were lovely and one of the nicest we met onboard so we were glad they were there! Much nicer than another couple who got very vocal about their political views... 

I think it's likely Celebrity invite a few 'influencers' on each cruise as its probably fairly cost effective marketing for them. 

Influencers or any other term you want to call them are everywhere these days and the common denominator is that they depend on people to be influenced (hits, visits, etc.).  Some do it as a profession, others as a hobby.  But there is also a fine line and a right to privacy (for us) vs. their free speech rights.  I would not want to be filmed on a ship or anywhere else without my implicit consent.  And Celebrity should perhaps give or deny permission to the influencers on board, with a set of clear cut rules and guidelines.  Thank you- said my piece!  

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We have a Smeg espresso machine and separate frother , 

does make me an influencer?

I guess I was influenced by the influencers as the Smeg did not get much uptake. Anyway this morning Amazon had the machine my main influencer has, my niece, the Breville Express on sale for 30% off so I ordered one. She has offered to teach me how to use it so that’s very influencing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Come to think of it, we were recently on the Equinox and Edge and didn't notice anyone taking videos.

If you were there, I was the guy wearing a golf hat and tshirt ( Not in the MDR !!).

If anyone reading this was on either cruise, I forgot to ask who the Captain was.

• Haha 1