Muster Drills

Midpacpl

8 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

But if our physical presence is required, something might stick.

And on the lighter side, my teachers thought the same thing when I'd show up for class. Proved them wrong. 😉 

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I can't see how EMuster uses more staff. When everyone had to report to the muster station for the drill there were 4 or more crew members stationed in front of the elevators and stairs on every deck to direct the passengers to their station.  This was in addition to the crew at the station checking off names and doing the demonstration. Now they only have to position crew at the stations to check off names and answer questions, if any. 

It takes crew members away from their normal jobs for much longer as they have to be there from the time boarding starts until the time for muster is over.

When we were going in person, it was a limited time that crew was there - not hours on end.

That said, I'll not miss having to check my chair in a location where muster was held to make sure someone didn't come straight from the pool to their station and plop their wet butt on a cloth seat. THAT is not a fun thing to find later when you're dressed for dinner and a show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I can't see how EMuster uses more staff. When everyone had to report to the muster station for the drill there were 4 or more crew members stationed in front of the elevators and stairs on every deck to direct the passengers to their station.  This was in addition to the crew at the station checking off names and doing the demonstration. Now they only have to position crew at the stations to check off names and answer questions, if any. 

This is what's being reported...When NCL announced it would go back to virtual, it wasn't effective immediately

I have not read this long post,  but my IMHO on this matter is that the cruiser should know where there muster station is,  where the life jackets are.  If they can answer basic questions an E drill is OK.  If they fail the test,  then perhaps they need more attention.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I have not read this long post,  but my IMHO on this matter is that the cruiser should know where there muster station is,  where the life jackets are.  If they can answer basic questions an E drill is OK.  If they fail the test,  then perhaps they need more attention.

There wasn't a test with the traditional muster either nor should their be as that would add time and it would be easy to cheat as there's only so many unique question you can come up with.  The way I see it, it isn't which is safer, traditional or virtual, it's that there will be many who whether intentionally or not, won't retain what they learned

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Neither of these comes close to preparing you for a real event.  Both are designed to ensure that you know where to do in the event of an emergency - that is all. 

Well said. I agree. 

and show up 15 minutes or longer

Exactly...OR...they simply fail to check in at their station! That happened already on at least one of our cruises. Ship was delayed from departing because a few people didn't check in. So some sort of annoncement to that effect was made over the loudspeaker. 

load into a lifeboat

That wasn't even an option for evacuating the Sky. Conditions were too bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

it's that there will be many who whether intentionally or not, won't retain what they learned

Sure...and that's understandable in a way. How many people truly would remember exactly what to do in the event of an emergency airline landing?  I see people reading on their phones / laptops, reading books, etc. while the emergency presentation is being given. Or...same thing on cruise ships..some may well be watching the muster video in their stateroom while already through their first two alcoholic beverages. How much info will be paid much attention to let alone retained? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

Meh... I treat muster drills and airline briefings the same way I treat being prepared for a possible tornado in north Dallas suburb. I consider being hit by a tornado, although fairly low, is still significant enough for me to ensure that I have a working SAME weather radio, a safe room, and a emergency kit including water. 

Same thing when traveling. I always have a small but powerful LED flashlight in my day pack as well as my luggage. I pay attention to the airline briefings, and muster drills have my full attention. 

Why? Well, I have a healthy respect for Chaos Theory, Murphy's Law, and that fortune favors the prepared. While I have full trust in the pilots, ships crew, and the mechanics in ensuring that "nothing" happens, I have a nagging feeling that if I don't pay attention to the briefings, something bad happens. 

And, remember, bad things happen. Anyone remember the Concordia or Viking Sky? So, I take a little offense when someone says "cattle call muster procedures".

Completely get the tornado reference. I am originally from Oklahoma.

16 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

On the Dream last May it was playing on AutoPlay on the television when you turned on the power in the room.

I thought it was supposed to be there, but we never saw it or found it on the TV. This was Fantasy in July.

12 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

We'll be on X in a few weeks - so see how it goes. The drill doesn't bother me so much as hearing the emergency signal. 4 years post-Sky event, DW and I can still be brought to tears everytime they do it. She can barely stand to listen to it. 

It kills me too. I have sensitive hearing and loud, incessant noises trigger fight or flight in my brain. I know it's supposed to do that, but it's almost unbearable for me.

6 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Sure...and that's understandable in a way. How many people truly would remember exactly what to do in the event of an emergency airline landing?  I see people reading on their phones / laptops, reading books, etc. while the emergency presentation is being given. Or...same thing on cruise ships..some may well be watching the muster video in their stateroom while already through their first two alcoholic beverages. How much info will be paid much attention to let alone retained? 

So true. I always look at the emergency pamphlet in the seat back and look for the exit and feel to see if there is a lifejacket under the seat. However, we tend to follow rules in case of emergencies. Don't get me started on how pitiful the stock seatbelts in cars are and how worthless they are compared to what is required in autoracing, where the people actually know how to drive. I also wear full motorcycle gear when I ride, because I like my skin. I always look for the life jacket in the cabin too. There's only so much you can do for some people though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soniam said:

So true. I always look at the emergency pamphlet in the seat back and look for the exit and feel to see if there is a lifejacket under the seat. However, we tend to follow rules in case of emergencies. Don't get me started on how pitiful the stock seatbelts in cars are and how worthless they are compared to what is required in autoracing, where the people actually know how to drive. I also wear full motorcycle gear when I ride, because I like my skin. I always look for the life jacket in the cabin too. There's only so much you can do for some people though.

OEM seatbelts are not "worthless", they've saved around 400K lives according to the NHTSA.  If five-point race harnesses were mandated, too many would find them uncomfortable leading to more drivers/riders not wearing them...Like I've already stated, we have too much hope for humanity, in these situations you have to dumb it down to the "lowest common denominator"

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Haha 1

Off topic but on the subject of muster drills, how and when does the crew "practice" getting disabled individuals to their muster station.  I've been on cruises where there seems to be lots of wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, etc.  In the days when we did "real muster drills" I've seen the "crew hallway monitors" allow wheelchair users use of the elevator to get to their muster station (which, in a real emergency is a no-no).  I've never seen crew members carrying wheelchair bound folks down the stairs to the muster location.  So....how do they ensure that the disabled/mobility challenged are able to get to their muster station?

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Good for you!!! I cringe when I see these guys on bikes wearing shorts, t-shirts, and no helmets. 

No offense to anyone but when I was growing up we use to refer to people on motor cycles without helments as "organ donors."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

No offense to anyone but when I was growing up we use to refer to people on motor cycles without helments as "organ donors."  

No offense taken. I ride and live in a state where there is no helmet law for adults. No matter my ride, I always wear my helmet. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 3:26 PM, NMTraveller said:

If you need a life jacket, it’s already over. IMHO. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

No offense taken. I ride and live in a state where there is no helmet law for adults. No matter my ride, I always wear my helmet. 

No helmet required in my state of residence.  BUT . . . . if you sustain a head injury that could have been reduced or prevented if you were wearing a helmet - you cannot collect for a head injury even if the other person was at fault.

As for not knowing the location of life jackets or muster station - Impossible to cure stupid.

16 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

If you need a life jacket, it’s already over. IMHO. 

Not sure what you mean by "it's already over"? As in...too late to even use them? Barring some catastrophic accident or other situation, I'd think there's plenty of time to load boats with life jackets already on. (Can't envision crew telling people to have a vest with them but then be sure to put them on once you're in the boat!) I suspect it wouldn't be that fast a process anyway.

When it came time to start evacuating the Viking Sky, we had our life vests on and stood in the stairwells for hours, slowly making our way up to the top deck for helicopter evac. Those who stayed on board needed to wear them the entire rest of the day and, I think anyway, even overnight till the emergency was pretty much declared over. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

9 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Not sure what you mean by "it's already over"? As in...too late to even use them? Barring some catastrophic accident or other situation, I'd think there's plenty of time to load boats with life jackets already on. (Can't envision crew telling people to have a vest with them but then be sure to put them on once you're in the boat!) I suspect it wouldn't be that fast a process anyway.

When it came time to start evacuating the Viking Sky, we had our life vests on and stood in the stairwells for hours, slowly making our way up to the top deck for helicopter evac. Those who stayed on board needed to wear them the entire rest of the day and, I think anyway, even overnight till the emergency was pretty much declared over. 

That evacuation had to be quite the ordeal, glad you can tell the tale. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 10:26 PM, PTC DAWG said:

That evacuation had to be quite the ordeal, glad you can tell the tale. 

So am I!  Thanks. It went on for 18 hours - through the overnight and into the next morning. Those Norwegian CHC pilots must have been exhausted afterwards. Can't imagine trying to hold the choppers steady - over the ship - taking off one or two people at a time, during those strong wind conditions. But then those guys are undoubtedly top drawer and trained for such conditions as mentioned here. http://www.chcheli.com/VikingSkyRescue  I cannot be thankful enough for what they did, as well as the crew of the Sky. The final report on the incident is still forthcoming. Here is the initial report - quite interesting:  https://www.dsb.no/globalassets/dokumenter/rapporter/assessment_of_the_viking_sky_incident.pdf

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Thanks 2