Extra charge for picking a cabin?

Packman1000

14 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I will never pay an increased price just to select a room.  Glad we are looking at other cruise lines. I am almost done paying this cruise lines money grabbing programs. 

As I posted in another thread:

I don't think it was *ever* considered to be an "extra charge"...just a way to offer a small break for those who don't care about the specific cabin they cruise in...and the fact that it "helps" Princess in regards to the ability to move cabins around should the need arise.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

I will never pay an increased price just to select a room.  Glad we are looking at other cruise lines. I am almost done paying this cruise lines money grabbing programs. 

While we have never opted for one, I'm so used to seeing the option of lower GTY fares I was surprised to learn in this thread that it was something new with Princess.  Don't be surprised if you encounter them with other lines.   

• Like 2

Saw you post in another thread. Replied to it and see it as an extra charge for those who want to select there own room.  Has been done for years so why the change if it is not just a way to make more money or fill undesired rooms. Will never let the cruise company select out room.

Just now, ldubs said:

While we have never opted for one, I'm so used to seeing the option of lower GTY fares I was surprised to learn in this thread that it was something new with Princess.  Don't be surprised if you encounter them with other lines.   

Will have the same response for them also.

• Like 1

I would not exactly call it a charge for picking your own cabin.

What Princess has done is take the entry level cabin for each type cabin (inside, oceanview, balcony,etc.) and made it unavailable for selecting a cabin.

However the next high category of that cabin is available for selecting a cabin and sometimes also as a GTY which is essentially the same as Princess selects your cabin.

Example: Entry level Balcony cabin BF can only be booked with Princess selecting a cabin and with the deposit non-refundable. But Balcony cabins BE. BD, BC, BB and BA can be booked with the ability to select a cabin and often with the ability to just make it a GTY booking, all with a refundable deposit.

So what has basically changed is that it you want to select a cabin, your must not book the entry level cabin.

What I do not know is whether the price difference between the entry level cabin (example BF) and the next level (example BE) is about the same as it was previously or if Princess has made the difference greater, either by giving a bigger discount for the entry level cabin or by raising the prices for the higher level cabins.

I am not saying that I like this new policy (and definitely not defending it), especially the non-refundable deposit aspect of it as that means even if you wanted to switch to a lower priced new promotion or even switch to a higher priced cabin category, you would lose your deposit on the original booking.

No matter which way you look at it it is an extra charge and more of the "nickel and dimming" creep that Princess has seemed to embark upon recently.

It is hard to imagine what new fees and non-sensical extra charges they will come up with In the this year.  It obviously corresponds with new management of the Princess line that has occurred.

Edited by PrincessLuver

@caribill explains it well above. 

I would add that on voyages I have looked at using another website booking engine which shows ALL eligible fares codes, I can still see and select a Refundable Deposit booking for Categories IF & BF (and presumably the others).  So, Princess is presenting the Non-Ref on their website (deliberately I would say for the moment) and have not deleted the Ref fare codes.  It still only allows GTY cabin selection, but at least the deposit is preserved.  What I cannot say is whether, after a booking is made, the POLAR system rejects the booking and guest is notified "no-can-do" a day or so later. 

It would be useful to hear from anyone who posts on Princess forum here if they have had their TA attempt to book an IF or BF cabin with the "normal" fare codes (meaning the deposit is still refundable).

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

@caribill explains it well above. 

I would add that on voyages I have looked at using another website booking engine which shows ALL eligible fares codes, I can still see and select a Refundable Deposit booking for Categories IF & BF (and presumably the others).  So, Princess is presenting the Non-Ref on their website (deliberately I would say for the moment) and have not deleted the Ref fare codes.  It still only allows GTY cabin selection, but at least the deposit is preserved.  What I cannot say is whether, after a booking is made, the POLAR system rejects the booking and guest is notified "no-can-do" a day or so later. 

It would be useful to hear from anyone who posts on Princess forum here if they have had their TA attempt to book an IF or BF cabin with the "normal" fare codes (meaning the deposit is still refundable).

On the website I use - I can also see refundable rate codes in those categories but when I went to book a BF and ME, it automatically became "non-refundable". My TA verified this.

• Thanks 1

The cabin in the area I want is NOT entry level.

In fact, it is the highest level, mid-ship, mid-deck, cabin.

STILL showing GTY.

Still entire areas and decks blocked off, with no ability to choose one.

So, the above comment is not really right.

There is a LOT more to all of this.

For sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1