Extra charge for picking a cabin?

Packman1000

16 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

On Princess' website, it looks like they are charging extra ($300 pp on a 15 day Hawaii cruise) to select your own cabin as opposed to letting them select your cabin.  Is this a new policy that Princess has added?

It's a new pricing scheme.  The extra $20/pp/day moves you up a category as well I think (example a BE Balcony instead of a BF).  You did not mention the cabin category and it may not be $20/pp/day for all cabin types.  It would have helped if you included ship/date/cabin category in the post.

Savvy shoppers might want to check into all of the available Fare Codes being offered and still might find a Refundable Deposit on lowest category.  

7 minutes ago, Hazelnut1106 said:

Or you can look at it as a discount if you let Princess pick your cabin.

Not sure why some people look at it as an extra cost to select your cabin.

Because it never cost extra in the past.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

On Princess' website, it looks like they are charging extra ($300 pp on a 15 day Hawaii cruise) to select your own cabin as opposed to letting them select your cabin.  Is this a new policy that Princess has added?

A lot of cruise line have pick you own room price that is different from assigned.

I hate this and do not believe in guaranteed room.  Just sell a room and be done with it.

And Carnival really as tiered pricing by deck even more than other lines.

14 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

Because it never cost extra in the past.

Or you could look at it as, they didn't used to offer a discount for not picking a cabin before....

Other lines do this. I was honestly surprised to learn this is a new thing. I don't see it as 'charging extra'. I see it as you get a discount if you let Princess pick your room.

22 minutes ago, Hazelnut1106 said:

Actually, you are correct on the cruise I’m booked on.  I’ve been watching it for changes.  The price that I booked is the same as what I have, in which I did pick the cabin.

Now, the price, if PCL chooses the cabin, is a discounted cruise fare, saving you $300PP.  The kicker, since it has a non refundable deposit, which was $500 PP, you would lose any benefit of the discount for sure, if you had to cancel.

Might work for some folks if you’re not picky about your cabin, or you don’t have to cancel for some reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Actually, you are correct on the cruise I’m booked on.  I’ve been watching it for changes.  The price that I booked is the same as what I have, in which I did pick the cabin.

Now, the price, if PCL chooses the cabin, is a discounted cruise fare, saving you $300PP.  The kicker, since it has a non refundable deposit, which was $500 PP, you would lose any benefit of the discount for sure, if you had to cancel.

Might work for some folks if you’re not picky about your cabin, or you don’t have to cancel for some reason.

Exactly....

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Such a very good point about the nonrefundable deposit -- thanks for pointing that out.  Do you know is it the entire $500 that would be forfeit or is there some portion returned?   

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Such a very good point about the nonrefundable deposit -- thanks for pointing that out.  Do you know is it the entire $500 that would be forfeit or is there some portion returned?   

Non refundable.  Here’s what it says:

Non-Refundable Deposit

Your deposit is 100% non-refundable and non-transferable. If you cancel your booking, the amount of your refund varies, depending upon how close you are to your cruise departure date. Your deposit, however, is not refundable for any reason.

If you prefer a refundable deposit you may return to the cabin selection process and select a different category or stateroom location

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It is what ever amount you paid when you first booked the cruise.

Personally I would rather pick my cabin, pay the full fare (not get a discount), and get my deposit back if I had to cancel. I understand that some folks will take a chance to save a buck. They will also be the first to complain if things don't go there way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hazelnut1106 said:

Exactly my take. Discount to accept a room no one wants. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Non refundable.  Here’s what it says:

Non-Refundable Deposit

Your deposit is 100% non-refundable and non-transferable. If you cancel your booking, the amount of your refund varies, depending upon how close you are to your cruise departure date. Your deposit, however, is not refundable for any reason.

If you prefer a refundable deposit you may return to the cabin selection process and select a different category or stateroom location

Thanks! 

19 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Personally I would rather pick my cabin, pay the full fare (not get a discount), and get my deposit back if I had to cancel. I understand that some folks will take a chance to save a buck. They will also be the first to complain if things don't go there way.

We are the same about cabin selection mostly because of my pickiness about egress.  Even though a discounted fare is something we would like, we have so far not used the GTY option on any cruise line.   A refundable deposit also has some value to us, but less so.      

I have been pondering this concept.  And agree with most.  Guarantees should
"should" be at a reduced fare.  It's all in the perspectives.  You are getting a bargain if you let Princess assign you a room (that no one wants).  I am not a gambler.  I prefer to pick my room for peace of mind.

1 hour ago, Hazelnut1106 said:

But is it really costing extra? Or are you saving money by accepting a ‘guarantee’ cabin with a non-refundable deposit?

56 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

Or you could look at it as, they didn't used to offer a discount for not picking a cabin before....

Other lines do this. I was honestly surprised to learn this is a new thing. I don't see it as 'charging extra'. I see it as you get a discount if you let Princess pick your room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Their/ there, one of my pet peeves and I broke the rule. Not quite as bad as then/than.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Exactly my take. Discount to accept a room no one wants. 

That can certainly be true as a lot of savvy cruisers will cherry pick the best cabins leaving the unpicked for guarantees...however it is also possible that you "might" get lucky with an upgrade.  If you do go with a guarantee cabin just don't whine and moan about it if you get a not so great room.  It's a roll of the dice...sometimes you win, usually you don't.  I am more interested in my rooms location than a lot of other factors and chose accordingly and then have it marked do not upgrade.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

What if you use an FCD. I thought those were refundable.

The FCD is refundable as long as it is sitting in your account unused.  However, once applied as a deposit, it is no different than making a deposit using your credit card.  It turns to cash and is subject to rules of the booking.  Even if the deposit is refundable and you cancel the booking, the FCD may not go back into your account as an FCD if it's expiry date has since passed - you will get a refund to original form of payment instead.