Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

A little background on Spike Island

Spike Island is an island of 103 acres in Cork Harbour, Ireland. Originally the site of a monastic settlement, the island is dominated by an 18th-century bastion fort now named Fort Mitchel. The island's strategic location within the harbour meant it was used at times for defense and as a prison.

After an intensive day on the Island -  This just scratches the surface of the use of the Island.  Much of it is a memorial and some a celebration.    

It had housed a Children's Prison,  an Adult Prison, A Prison where Republican's (Irish) were both imprisoned and executed, the site of a prison Riot in 1985.     After the Riot the island was evacuated of those that lived there but the prison remained until closed in 2004 (Yikes) 

Millions were forced to flee during the Great Famine­—some of those left behind were condemned to Ireland’s most notorious prison on Spike Island

‘Hell on Earth’

But by 1853 the number of prisoners on the island had risen to 2,500, making it possibly the biggest prison in the British Empire at the time, if not the world, in terms of the number of prisoners, according to O’Donnabhain.

Up to 40 prisoners were sardined in each dormitory-style room – measuring 40 feet by 18 feet – and there were no individual cells save for the punishment block, used to detain the most dangerous criminals.

A number of accounts from the time detail how solitary confinement in the prison's punishment block was like "hell on Earth." Over 1,000 prisoners died on the island and were buried in mass unmarked graves.

• Like 6

Good news is the Internet is back to normal so I will resume this bandwidth intensive post.   Something I would never have been able to do without the Higher Speed Internet

We boarded and decided to sit outside as the skies cleared for a beautiful 30 minute scenic ride to Spike Island.    We still have not figured out why in the morning the boats were going all way around  the island and coming back we just jetted across the bay in 10 minutes

IMG_3187.jpeg

IMG_3189.jpeg

Oops .. I ws taking a picture and he hopped into the shot - true photo bomb to pull up the lines. 

IMG_3190.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12

Thanks for posting the Luminae menus. I am so looking forward to a couple longer cruises on Beyond next year in order to get to those “second 7” menus. We have had the good fortune of sailing in the Retreat a number of times since the restart, 7 days at a time. It would be nice for them to rotate the menus more often.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Be warned it is going to be a photo intensive post when I get caught up. 

We went to Spike Island.  I booked it on our own last night for 21 euros pp vs 80 usd from ship. 

It is not to be missed.  A perfect day. 

I will savor it all and thank you in advance for sharing Cobh!

This was a port that was on a British Isles Cruise we had all set up on Princess some years ago. We.had  arranged pre and post cruise hotels, excursions to Oxford, Stonehenge., Book of Kells...etc. 

Unfortunately ,   a few days after final payment was made our dtr ( early 30's then) had a  breast cancer diagnosis. Obviously,  we cancelled it all to take care of her thru surgery, chemo, reconstruction, fertility dr   etc.   (our Travel Ins covered most...but no matter..had to be done)

while we missed out on  a great trip the happy news today is she is in her 40s, has a great husb she met a few days after the dx. .and 2 great  children conceived post cancer and chemo!  We Celebrate Every Day!

sorry to be so personal but it just all came out!

• Like 27

41 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We didn't have any plans today an last night at dinner decided to go to Spike Island.   Celebrity had a tour there for $80 per person but we booked it on line direct with Spike Island Ferry at 9 PM for $42.00 US for 2.

I'd be interested to know if you've met anyone that went to Cork on their own and if it was worth the trek. I know the train station is right by the ship pier and it takes about 20 minutes to get there. In any event our Cobh stop in July is rather short at 11-5 so I don't think that's enough time to get to Cork and have enough time to see anything, but still I'm still curious if anyone on your TA did this. 

Edited by kwokpot

After a safety briefing we could either follow a guide for a 45 minute tour or do on our own.  We chose to do on our own.  It felt like a private island leaving our guide and the throng of the Celebrity tour. 

IMG_3199.thumb.jpeg.b5299b56d1e3f2c28139f94be3e8f93b.jpeg

IMG_3201.thumb.jpeg.23690d68407c77a713e8f7b64ce66423.jpeg

IMG_3204.thumb.jpeg.ecfefaa440f8330f33a61ad99d9144ef.jpeg

IMG_3205.thumb.jpeg.c74b327460fe952896f99f8ed2400593.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 7

IMG_3209.thumb.jpeg.aac9b25188435a943fa846ffad915329.jpeg

Did you have your communion at age 7?  If so did you know that a little Irish girl is the reason you did, and that same Irish child may well be Ireland’s next saint?

https://www.spikeislandcork.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Little_Nellie_2-e1652204239855.jpg

Little Nellie – Ellen Organ was born in Waterford in 1903 but moved to Spike Island with her soldier father and family when he was stationed on Spike Island.  She displayed a precocious spiritual awareness as soon as she could speak, constantly displaying her religious knowledge and spiritual passion.  She adored the walk along Spike Islands shoreline to the village church which she made often with her mother on the way to mass.

When her mother tragically died of TB, Ellen was taken into the care of the Sisters of the Good Shepard convent in Sunday’s Well*, Cork.  Here the sisters spotted her religious understanding which was well beyond her years and were devastated to learn that this pious child had contracted TB, the same disease which claimed her mothers life.  Despite her affliction her devotion grew and Ellen would begin to describe visions and conversations with God and Jesus.  She displayed knowledge of the Trinity beyond her years and she could tell without fail whether or not a person had been to mass and received Holy Communion.  In spite of her illness she was always said to be in good spirits and her positivity both inspired and upset the sisters.

She began to express her adamant wish that she receive her first Holy Communion.  At the time children received their Holy Communion at the age of 12 and younger that this age was unheard of, let alone at the age of 4.  The sisters were well aware of this but so moved they contacted the local Bishop, who despite there being no precedent was utterly convinced that Ellen was ready to receive Holy Communion.  At age 5 her wish came through and she remains the youngest ever recorded recipient of Holy Communion.

https://www.spikeislandcork.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/little_nellie_room_side.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12

After climbing the hill we reached the outer wall of the fort

IMG_3210.thumb.jpeg.26985f12ab5eb41399198fdfe6bdd0f9.jpeg

The Irish are famous for their lively painted doors.  I have a wonder cocktail book at home. Doors of Dublin. 

IMG_3211.thumb.jpeg.542a972f8a132ea76563db87d89a6893.jpeg

IMG_3212.thumb.jpeg.3e16bc70ad87ae291763732ab52a7a9f.jpeg

IMG_3213.thumb.jpeg.448af9af53ac95cfdb5d3e91229720b8.jpeg

Now  you understand my earlier comment on the climb to the fort.  I have to see how Celebrity describes the tour. 

IMG_3214.thumb.jpeg.e91d551b49ad5d30084e6ddd6f28125b.jpeg

I wanted to point out the when living in Ireland, the Irish wish to preserve their past and their language.   All children are taught Irish Gaelic in school and REA (tv Ireland) are required to broadcast a certain percentage of programs in Gaelic.   

When we moved there we only had 4 station REA  1 and 2.  And BBC 1 and 2.

Reminds me of a funny tale I will have to tell.   I had been in Ireland for a couple months before Iain arrived to begin house hunting.    We were watching a REA 2 program on drug addiction and the interviewer was asking some drug addicted people questions about addiction.   Iain looked at me and said He couldn't understand a word the interviewer was saying.   I chuckled...    The interviewer was asking the question in English but the interviewee was answering in Gaelic. 

We rolled in the floor laughing.

Not much on TV we got addicted to watching the Snookers Championships and Dart Championships in Gaelic and somehow could understand what was going on. 

We still joke and say Nish ---   which is often used after a statement on cooking shows --- meaning Now.   before the next step

He's now getting ready for Chic night and just yelled Nish....

This whole story started when I asked him about the Innish over the door in an earlier picture -  He looked it up and in Gaelic means Island....

The point of my drawn out stories is--- ya see the sign below  all public signs and government offices have to be listed in Gaelic and then English.   Made things interesting when I tried to find the DMV in the phone book to get my Irish Drivers License -  An Roinn Iompair    Just what I would look for.

IMG_3215.thumb.jpeg.637ebf5e3bf1037a615a8aabdf8682bf.jpeg

IMG_3219.thumb.jpeg.a30f5d30de92d8b7454bb6a01aea025c.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'd be interested to know if you've met anyone that went to Cork on their own and if it was worth the trek. I know the train station is right by the ship pier and it takes about 20 minutes to get there. In any event our Cobh stop in July is rather short at 11-5 so I don't think that's enough time to get to Cork and have enough time to see anything, but still I'm still curious if anyone on your TA did this. 

We had an overnight stop here in 2019. On our first day in port we visited the Cobh heritage center. It’s at the port.  Great story of Irish emigration. On day 2, we took the train into Cork.  We went  to The English Market.

Its an indoor market with a cafe on the second floor. We had a delicious lunch!

• Thanks 1

Jim,  I looked at all 15 night’s dinner menu’s for our cruise and I do not see this menu being offered at all for our cruise.  I find that interesting.

BTW,  living your beautiful pictures as always.  

Great photos of Cobh and Spike Island! What are your plans for the Portland stop? We often have weekends in that area but usually walk the South West Coastal path on the Jurassic Coast. Also Dorchester is a much nicer town than Weymouth.

Used to do a lot of diving out of Portland — strange place. I believe there are some decent walks though. Sure there will be some on the AllTrails walking App. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:55 AM, Jim_Iain said:

LOL --- I use to have a Webcam and would check in on Luke -   I was in hysterics one day.   He was sacked out at the front door... loved a spot where he would get a bit of cool air from under the door.   The gardner was blowing grass off the front porch and turned the blower at the door... Luke when flying in the air out of surprise.  

Poor boy!  Glad you were able to give him a loving home.

On 4/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, Jim_Iain said:

It really surprises me as all meals in Luminae are supposed to be cooked to order.  All the fish I have had have been incredibly good. 

When we were in a suite on Edge a year or two ago, our waiter told us that the Daniel Bouloud entrees come on board pre-cooked in bags and then are heated up sous vide.  I could see how that could lead to over cooked chicken for that particular entree.  But not for all the others.  Glad they fixed the poultry issue.

Also, we declined to try any of the Bouloud entrees but my husband had the dessert and enjoyed it.

Jim_lain, back to the oatmeal. Have you tried the oatmeal in the Eden Cafe? They also have terrific cinnamon rolls, breakfast sandwiches and the absolute best brownies and choc. Chip cookies! Its not Luminee, but might be a change of pace after so many days of eating in the same place.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok... we made it down 1,000 feet to Spike Island check-in an picked up our tickets for a day on Spike Island.

We didn't have any plans today an last night at dinner decided to go to Spike Island.   Celebrity had a tour there for $80 per person but we booked it on line direct with Spike Island Ferry at 9 PM for $42.00 US for 2.

Half of our boat was a Celebrity Group.   After everyone was on the boat here comes a 'ol Gal that could barely walk taking about 10 minutes to get down the gangway and onto the ship.  It was low tide and it was a steep incline.    I was thinking why would anyone with mobility issues go on a tour that requires a lot of walking.   I'm not sure how she got off the vessel let alone hike the 1/4 mile uphile to the Fort with lots of stairs etc... oh well... I said thank God we weren't on that tour and have to wait for her at each stop.

I know I'm unkind but I hope I know my limits when I get Old (older).

Jim thanks for the info on Spike Island. We have nothing planned for day 2 of the overnight in Cobh and good to know it is much cheaper booking directly. Do you get to go thru the old prison or just a few areas? Thanks Richard