Foods to avoided - to prevent illness

Cruisin'4Us

What foods do you avoid eating when cruising because you suspect the food may have made you feel ill in the past.  When I say ill, I mean either requiring medical attention or disrupting your cruise for a half day or more.

For this thread, please don't include foods that you are allergic to, or foods that you just didn't care for.  Food that was spoiled is fine to list.

None, ever, and I gain about 10 lbs. per 7-night cruise (some from alcohol and water retention but I love to eat a lot when I cruise).

If I've ever not felt well, it's been from overdoing it, which is obviously my fault, not theirs. 🤣

• Like 3

If you aren’t allergic to it, the only other reason a food should make you sick enough to require medical attention is if it was not cooked/handled properly and thus spoiled.  The chances of that particular food causing that kind of issue more than once is pretty slim.

Edited by poocher
  • Thanks 1

None.  Cruise ship is much safer than almost any other public restaurant.  I’d trust it more than almost anywhere.  There are exceptions for anything, but on average I completely trust major cruise line food.  They are all quite thorough in their processes.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

None, ever, and I gain about 10 lbs. per 7-night cruise (some from alcohol and water retention but I love to eat a lot when I cruise).

If I've ever not felt well, it's been from overdoing it, which is obviously my fault, not theirs. 🤣

Right with you. Sailed a 7 night Ovation followed with a 10 night Quantum, returned home 18 pounds up. Same cruise my wife came home 1 pound down. 

17 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Right with you. Sailed a 7 night Ovation followed with a 10 night Quantum, returned home 18 pounds up. Same cruise my wife came home 1 pound down. 

Kudos to you, sir!

I've never done more than 7 nights and the weight gain is my only fear. I've done 7 nights with a 3 week break in between and that worked well. We always diet/eat healthy before cruises so those 3 weeks helped me get back to where I started so I could do it all over again.

I think the biggest risk is in the Windjammer, not a particular food. You use the same serving utensils as everyone else, then eat without washing your hands. This is not as big a risk now because they force everyone to wash their hands on the way in. But it still bothers me when someone uses a serving utensil and then places it in the tray of food with the handle touching the food. 

• Like 1

You can get sick from the food but without follow up there is no way of knowing what food. Over 50 of us on the same roll call all got sick the exact same night last sept on liberty. One said his doctor said e.coli, another lady was in the hospital who was elderly. I only got off in one port and didnt eat in the port. It was from something I ate. I was on b2b and couldnt immediately be tested by my doctor as I stayed on the 2nd week not having read so many others also got sick. If was just me I wouldnt have thought much, but too many others got sick same night. 

It can happen. Many called rcl who didnt want to do anything, was it covid, no, well sorry ok bye. 

2 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Escargot is somewhat very dangrous as they need to be cleaned properly.

Had some badly cleaned escargot on Symphony and got so sick - it was a nightmare

and I will not ever eat that stuff again!

I got sick on escargot as well.  Got a bed snail.  I was fine the next day.  These days, I thing the escargot on the ships just don't have enough enough garlic!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Escargot is somewhat very dangrous as they need to be cleaned properly.

Had some badly cleaned escargot on Symphony and got so sick - it was a nightmare

and I will not ever eat that stuff again!

I have had escargot every cruise I have been on and have never gotten sick from it.  Sorry to hear that happened to you.

2 minutes ago, Cherful59 said:

I have had escargot every cruise I have been on and have never gotten sick from it.  Sorry to hear that happened to you.

You are lucky - I used to eat them on every cruise too....but if you research - there is quite a risk involved that you get food poisoning from them because of the dificult cleaning process.

They are a high risk food to get sick!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You can get sick from the food but without follow up there is no way of knowing what food.

It was quite obvious after the fact! They tasted a little off and had sand in them - a very clear evidence they were not cleaned properly and if you research you will find that improper cleaned escargot can and will give you severe food poisoning! They are considered high risk food for food poisoning!

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it is a weird question - I totally get wanting to avoid something that might make you sick on vacation.  Personally, if the station in the WJ is a mess - I avoid it and consider it contaminated.  Considerate, clean, handwashing folks typically don't make a mess at a buffet station.  When I walk down a hallway and cabin doors are open and there are rooms that look like a tornado went through - those are the people who I figure have made some of the mess in the buffet - JMHO.. go ahead and flame away.

If in a restaurant or the MDR - If something arrives at an improper temp - I avoid that.  If something should be hot, it better be  hot.  

My 2 cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have never gotten sick from cruise food as i never touch the food with my hands. I use utensils only. I even eat a muffin with a knife and fork.

I avoid foods that need to be handled without utensils . 

If i eat pizza , i will toss the crust that i touched , but i mostly use utensils .

I think the serving utensils have a fair amount of gems on them and thats what will make people sick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

I don't think it is a weird question - I totally get wanting to avoid something that might make you sick on vacation.  Personally, if the station in the WJ is a mess - I avoid it and consider it contaminated.  Considerate, clean, handwashing folks typically don't make a mess at a buffet station.  When I walk down a hallway and cabin doors are open and there are rooms that look like a tornado went through - those are the people who I figure have made some of the mess in the buffet - JMHO.. go ahead and flame away.

If in a restaurant or the MDR - If something arrives at an improper temp - I avoid that.  If something should be hot, it better be  hot.  

My 2 cents.

None of this would be a problem if you chose to cruise on an upscale, luxury cruise line.  Oh... maybe I have crossed threads!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

My 2 cents.

Lol, I previously referred to those rooms like a crime scene , and the only thing missing was the body. I was expecting to see the CSI crew coming down the hall to start the investigation.

• Like 1