Norovirus Caught on Koningsdam

annandme

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Colin I agree with you. I like good old soap and water. My point was, Rotterdam is new and have sinks, not the washers. I don't think 12 seconds in the washer does much good. Maybe that's why HAL went back to regular sinks?

Joy, I think they can be a bit unreliable.  Maybe maintenance costs on the K were too high so back to soap and water! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VacationCharlene said:

The Koningsdam JUST came out of drydock.  We were on the Koningsdam just before......there were about 30 people who had the virus, on a 35 day cruise.  It REALLY is hard to say where anyone GETS any illness (flying, train, cab, cruise, bathroom, etc)   So sorry for your wife and I would bet you will NOT have to pay for any medical for this "illness".  Enjoy your cruise and hope she is out soon to also enjoy!  It DOES bug me how so many people feel it is the cruise lines fault......(not saying you are) but from reading so many posts about a subject that is here for the long run.................

"Norovirus Caught on Koningsdam"

Maybe...maybe NOT!

(We were very lucky NOT to get it but we were very diligent to wash our hands OFTEN, cleaned the tables that we sat at in the Lido and by pool, brought our own drinking glasses 🙂  etc.  Wore a mask ALWAYS in the main lounge area as that is where we heard MOST of the coughs......We were lucky for sure)

The Koningsdam JUST came out of drydock and I believe it was the day this thread was started was the day that Koningsdam got out of Dry Dock or at least started her Hawaii voyage from Vancouver so I am trying to figure out when the Norovirus occured. I kept scratching my head reading this because the ship has been in Dry Dock. I am wondering if this was on the last South Pacific Voyage?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The Koningsdam JUST came out of drydock and I believe it was the day this thread was started was the day that Koningsdam got out of Dry Dock or at least started her Hawaii voyage from Vancouver so I am trying to figure out when the Norovirus occured. I kept scratching my head reading this because the ship has been in Dry Dock. I am wondering if this was on the last South Pacific Voyage?

Hi Lisa:

We were on that South Pacific voyage and I honestly did not hear one peep about noro being on that sailing.  There was some covid, but nothing to be concerned about.

• Like 3

I see my error NOW...

Yes we were on the 35 day South Pacific/Hawaii cruise and there were a total of 30 people (1 employee) who had COVID sometime during the 35 day cruise!  Sorry if I messed everyone up about Norovirus.  I misspoke about Covid verses Norovirus.  They had COVID

• Like 2

I used the “washy washy” system on the Zaandam on VOV last summer. We had a big outbreak of the C & we never got it. We were masked at least 3.5 wk including tenders & private tours. Washing however you do it is better than nothing. 

On 4/16/2023 at 7:38 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

was surprised to see the automated hand washing machines in Koningsdam Lido area last month.

These machines are great, I use them several times a day. Sadly, I have not seen anyone else use them so far this trip 🫤

• Like 1

When I hear that people wonder about visitors to the Lido buffet who don't stop and wash their hands, I consider that some people may do as I do.  I wash my hands in my cabin or the in the restroom right by the pool deck immediately before going up to the Lido, so you therefore won't witness my washing!

I use a tissue for the door leaving the restroom and a tissue or my knuckle to push the elevator button after leaving my cabin. My Mama taught me right!!!  😁

~Nancy

• Like 4

10 hours ago, oakridger said:

When I hear that people wonder about visitors to the Lido buffet who don't stop and wash their hands, I consider that some people may do as I do.  I wash my hands in my cabin or the in the restroom right by the pool deck immediately before going up to the Lido, so you therefore won't witness my washing!

I use a tissue for the door leaving the restroom and a tissue or my knuckle to push the elevator button after leaving my cabin. My Mama taught me right!!!  😁

~Nancy

What else do you touch from the time you washed your hands until you sit down to eat? Food tongs? Bottom of the chair as you pull it in?  Condiment containers?  Do you lay your silverware on the table?

Personally, I couldn't care less about your's or anyone else's handwashing habits, except for the food workers.  I take steps to protect myself by frequent handwashing and then sanitizing after I've touched any contaminated surfaces - and every surface on a ship is contaminated -  before I eat.  I also grab an extra plate to rest my silverware on instead of the tabletop.

You see, my momma also raised me right in the pre-vaccine days of polio, and my education in public health raised my awareness of just how contaminated the world is and how cross-contamination works.

Workers spraying and wiping every surface within reach, plastic gloves on food workers, and removing condiment containers is all theater to make people feel safe when all we really need to do is take steps to protect ourselves by breaking the chain of transmission for noro and other nastys.

Having taken swab samples in many medical and food service settings in my career, would anyone venture a guess to the most contaminated surfaces were in my experience?

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

What else do you touch from the time you washed your hands until you sit down to eat? Food tongs? Bottom of the chair as you pull it in?  Condiment containers?  Do you lay your silverware on the table?

Personally, I couldn't care less about your's or anyone else's handwashing habits, except for the food workers.  I take steps to protect myself by frequent handwashing and then sanitizing after I've touched any contaminated surfaces - and every surface on a ship is contaminated -  before I eat.  I also grab an extra plate to rest my silverware on instead of the tabletop.

You see, my momma also raised me right in the pre-vaccine days of polio, and my education in public health raised my awareness of just how contaminated the world is and how cross-contamination works.

Workers spraying and wiping every surface within reach, plastic gloves on food workers, and removing condiment containers is all theater to make people feel safe when all we really need to do is take steps to protect ourselves by breaking the chain of transmission for noro and other nastys.

Having taken swab samples in many medical and food service settings in my career, would anyone venture a guess to the most contaminated surfaces were in my experience?

I agree with your comments.  I also do a lot of extra steps and I’ve been belittled for, for being too careful.  Don’t care.  Keeps me healthy so far.  I’ve heard of one practicing that someone does of sitting on pillows in a cabin I will occupy at some point and that isn’t cool with me.  It doesn’t matter if you put a towel on it.  I makes me wonder what things others do 🤮.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 6:00 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Bathroom rugs? Just a guess. I recall reading many times the cold, hard surfaces in bathrooms aren't a happy home for germs which makes them surprisingly sanitary. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Bathroom rugs? Just a guess. I recall reading many times the cold, hard surfaces in bathrooms aren't a happy home for germs which makes them surprisingly sanitary. 

That sounds a little hokey. If it were the case we could all bring our rug to act as a placemat on our lido table🤣

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 10:38 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

I was surprised to see the automated hand washing machines in Koningsdam Lido area last month. (You put your hands in the machine and warm water and supposedly soap washes for 12 seconds) I prefer good old soap, water, and a good scrub. 

On 4/16/2023 at 4:12 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Are we talking about these bad boys found inside the Lido on K-dam and her two sisters? Nice warm water inside 😉 They - the machines - came out with K-dam when she joined the fleet in May 2016. Are we saying they now made to the other eight dam ships? 

KonLid-70519-1645576058.webp 

As previously stated, Volendam has one in a corner of the Lido. We’re currently onboard.

I prefer them to hand sanitizer. But much prefer a sink with soap and water and lots of friction to make those buggers slide away.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 7:00 AM, SargassoPirate said:

…I take steps to protect myself by frequent handwashing and then sanitizing after I've touched any contaminated surfaces - and every surface on a ship is contaminated -  before I eat.  I also grab an extra plate to rest my silverware on instead of the tabletop...

My silverware never touches a tabletop, either. And my hands never touch a doorknob.😁

Do tell: what were the most contaminated surfaces in your experience? 

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 8:25 PM, 0106 said:

I did not see a hand washing machine in the Lido on the Rotterdam in February; there was a sink with soap.  I liked using the hand washing machines on the Veendam.  I only use hand sanitizer if no soap and water is available.

I don't recall seeing the hand washing machines on the Nieuw Statendam last December either.  They had a regular wash sink at both forward entrances to the Lido Buffet and just aft of the aft-most lido serving stations.  Normal sinks with soap dispensers and very thin paper towels.

The thing I found disappointing with those public sinks--as well as the ones in the restrooms--was the soap dispensers were not automatic.  The faucets were motion activated but you had to press down on the soap dispensers, increasing touch cross contamination potential.  Of course, there wasn't much cross contamination risk at those Lido sinks because I only saw one other passenger use them during our probably 15 or so Lido visits that week.

15 hours ago, syesmar said:

My silverware never touches a tabletop, either. And my hands never touch a doorknob.😁

Do tell: what were the most contaminated surfaces in your experience? 

I've heard phones are among the worst. 

Keep  in mind it is mainly your fingertips that transmit the "bugs".

So if you use your knuckle, palm of hand, even your wrist or arm to brace against the stair railings, chances are you will not be later sticking any of them into your nose, eyes or mouth.

But finger tips - yes, they are the primary vectors when self-inoculating from any possible recently contaminated surfaces .

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Lots of OCD on display today😂.  

I never thought I would be as stringent as I am now about not touching anything in public with my bare hands, using a clean paper towel or napkin as a barrier, but here I am😂🤷‍♀️

I must say, though, that it’s worked out for me so far; I haven’t even had a slight sniffle in over 3 1/2 years, thankfully.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 3