Considering Zaandam 2024 Amazon River Cruise

stobe1

13 minutes ago, Objective11 said:

We will be on that Zaandam Amazon cruise and did a lot of research about it.  I posted on  HAL's Facebook pages asking for tips on the Amazon and Zaandam and there is a special page for this cruise as well. We know people who have done this Amazon cruises and I got lots of feedback, about 50 responses, on my FB post.  I have also gotten feedback on HAL cruises in recent years. The bottom line: The Amazon is amazing in the view of most people and the excursions can be fantastically memorable.  You should look in to getting at least a yellow fever shot and take plenty of mosquito repellent and know how to dress for it. As for the ship, it is older but pretty well kept with an excellent crew. The bars on HAL ships are pretty good and the bartenders are more friendly than you find on cruises line like Carnival, for instance. Usually a good selection of alcohol and drink specialties. I would think some of the bars are open until midnight or so.  There will be some shows on the main stage.  The bands on HAL are usually good and you have a good piano bar.  But recognize this smaller ship is not like many HAL ships in that it does not have the terrific BB King's Night Club nor the fabulous Rolling Stone Rock Room.    The tradeoff is that on a small ship you can get in to more places. Most major cruise lines do not go up the Amazon because  their ships are too big. . HAL has older people but that doesn't mean we don't have fun! There will be wine tastings, trivia, and other fun things aboard. The other element is that Zaandam won't be overwhelming with people like a Carnival or Royal ship.  And that makes lines shorter, food better in my view.  Hope this helps! 

We did the Amazon on the Volendam in 2019 & absolutely loved it including getting stuck on a sandbar for 7 hours. We're looking forward to our return this fall and have booked many private excursions like we did last time. My blog has all the details (https://timmerBrazilplus2019.blogspot.com)

• Like 3

On 4/26/2023 at 7:45 AM, pinky13 said:

I believe yellow fever vax is only good for 10 years .

They used to say that - but its one of these vaccines that have got extended to lifetime (hep B was similar) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We did the Amazon on the Volendam in 2019 & absolutely loved it including getting stuck on a sandbar for 7 hours. We're looking forward to our return this fall and have booked many private excursions like we did last time. My blog has all the details (https://timmerBrazilplus2019.blogspot.com)

We were on with you. Fabulous cruise. Included the launch of the French rocket as dinnertime entertainment. 

On 4/15/2023 at 6:33 PM, stobe1 said:

We are considering booking the Amazon river sailing on Zaandam next year. We are typically Carnival and Royal Caribbean type of cruisers. This would be a definite change for us due to the cruise length, itinerary and our perception of the more "senior" crowd that is likely to be present.

.....We are in our early 40s and enjoy night life so we would likely be the youngsters on board. Are there late night options on board or do they start last call early? ....Zaandam is smaller...but it seems to have limited bar options. Hopefully there is at least 1 late night bar open?

I understand the concern about an age gap among your fellow passengers, and the possible lack of a lively bar scene that you're used to. Here's a suggestion that I guarantee will make your cruise even more memorable.  

After a few days on board, and you've had a chance to see how things work,  

make an appointment with the Guest Services Manager. Tell her that you're new to HAL, and want to arrange a private no-host cocktail party for passengers only from  _________   (city or state where you live) as a way to get acquainted with other passengers,   The ship will help you plan the date, time, best location, and even send out the invitations (they'll find the invitees through their pax list)  .  Make sure the invitations have  your name as the people doing the inviting:  "Ricky and Lucy from Atlanta invite you to a party for fellow Georgians". 

This will create camaraderie among people of all ages (couples and singles) who have two things in common - Georgia and the Amazon cruise.  This takes the focus away from "no late night bar scene" and replaces it with meeting fascinating people with interesting backgrounds and travel experiences.

People will appreciate that someone (you) made the effort to meet them.    

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

I understand the concern about an age gap among your fellow passengers, and the possible lack of a lively bar scene that you're used to. Here's a suggestion that I guarantee will make your cruise even more memorable.  

After a few days on board, and you've had a chance to see how things work,  

make an appointment with the Guest Services Manager. Tell her that you're new to HAL, and want to arrange a private no-host cocktail party for passengers only from  _________   (city or state where you live) as a way to get acquainted with other passengers,   The ship will help you plan the date, time, best location, and even send out the invitations (they'll find the invitees through their pax list)  .  Make sure the invitations have  your name as the people doing the inviting:  "Ricky and Lucy from Atlanta invite you to a party for fellow Georgians". 

This will create camaraderie among people of all ages (couples and singles) who have two things in common - Georgia and the Amazon cruise.  This takes the focus away from "no late night bar scene" and replaces it with meeting fascinating people with interesting backgrounds and travel experiences.

People will appreciate that someone (you) made the effort to meet them.    

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. After as much research as we could do (and surprisingly there is not much information out there on HAL Amazon river cruises) we have booked a balcony cabin for this sailing. We have our yellow fever shots among numerous others already due to several trips to Africa, India and Central Asia over the years.

We really appreciate all the feedback and information. We are looking forward to the Amazon and trying to be the lively "youngsters" on board lol. We always make our own fun no matter what.

We are looking forward also to our 1st HAL experience. We are typically Carnival and Royal type of cruisers but a little more laid back vibe is good as well sometimes. We are Platinum on Carnival and wish that our status could be portable amongst other Carnival Corporation brands, but it is no biggie. I know that topic of "portable status" is a bit of an area of contention sometimes amongst cruisers.

Next major cruise for us will be Antarctica at some point in the next few years. That will be the last continent that both of us still have yet to step foot on so we will be looking for cruise options that actually have excursions and not just scenic "sail by" cruises. But all in good time. 

Thanks again for all of the input!

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 2

Having been on the Amazon cruise that became stuck on the sandbar as mentioned by others here and on 4 Antarctica cruises we know you will love each. So many amazing places to see and nature up close and personal. Hope you enjoy your HAL cruises! Check out former roll calls for these cruises to see pic and ideas for excursions.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/16/2023 at 8:51 AM, Nickelpenny said:

I will be on this cruise; the Amazon was never on my list of places to go but I couldn't pass the deal up.  I haven't found much info on what it will be like but I am just in my preliminary research.  I am so excited to go!!

The cruise to the amazon is really amazing. Im native from the Amazonas , Im live in a small fisher village called Boca da Valeria near of Parintins and Manaus . The cruise is to visit this ports of call. I will be happy to help you if you need some information about the ports in the amazon . Please let me know !

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 10:45 AM, stobe1 said:

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. After as much research as we could do (and surprisingly there is not much information out there on HAL Amazon river cruises) we have booked a balcony cabin for this sailing. We have our yellow fever shots among numerous others already due to several trips to Africa, India and Central Asia over the years.

We really appreciate all the feedback and information. We are looking forward to the Amazon and trying to be the lively "youngsters" on board lol. We always make our own fun no matter what.

We are looking forward also to our 1st HAL experience. We are typically Carnival and Royal type of cruisers but a little more laid back vibe is good as well sometimes. We are Platinum on Carnival and wish that our status could be portable amongst other Carnival Corporation brands, but it is no biggie. I know that topic of "portable status" is a bit of an area of contention sometimes amongst cruisers.

Next major cruise for us will be Antarctica at some point in the next few years. That will be the last continent that both of us still have yet to step foot on so we will be looking for cruise options that actually have excursions and not just scenic "sail by" cruises. But all in good time. 

Thanks again for all of the input!

We started cruising with HAL when we were 41.  We’ve been amongst the youngest on board, but never THE youngest.  Even on our longest cruise (~90 days) there have been a handful of people 30-40s and usually some children.  We are not typically late night people, but have gone to bed midnight or later many times on HAL after having drinks and good conversation with fellow passengers.  On one cruise a fun pianist in the Crow’s Nest kept everyone entertained most nights - I believe he played until around 10pm or 11pm.  It will definitely be a different vibe than Carnival or Royal though.  

I agree - it would be wonderful if your status was for Carnival Corporation rather than one part of that.  A few years ago MSC offered status matching from any line if you took one cruise with them.  If they can do that, Carnival could do the same for within the Carnival family!

• Like 2

On 4/16/2023 at 9:05 AM, Sea42 said:

I think you'll be disappointed in the late night offerings on HAL. Entertainment and bars are reported to be done by midnight.

more likely by 11 from my experience. NA and Zaandam.

3 minutes ago, electro said:

more likely by 11 from my experience. NA and Zaandam.

On our most recent HAL cruise the last sets from BB Kings or Rolling Stone started at 10:45 and ended 45 minutes later. A DJ took over after that but I don't know how late they played because I was usually ready to go back to the cabin by midnight.

6 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

On our most recent HAL cruise the last sets from BB Kings or Rolling Stone started at 10:45 and ended 45 minutes later. A DJ took over after that but I don't know how late they played because I was usually ready to go back to the cabin by midnight.

What ship? 

On 9/18/2023 at 10:10 AM, Wayfairers said:

We started cruising with HAL when we were 41.  We’ve been amongst the youngest on board, but never THE youngest.  Even on our longest cruise (~90 days) there have been a handful of people 30-40s and usually some children.  We are not typically late night people, but have gone to bed midnight or later many times on HAL after having drinks and good conversation with fellow passengers.  On one cruise a fun pianist in the Crow’s Nest kept everyone entertained most nights - I believe he played until around 10pm or 11pm.  It will definitely be a different vibe than Carnival or Royal though.  

I agree - it would be wonderful if your status was for Carnival Corporation rather than one part of that.  A few years ago MSC offered status matching from any line if you took one cruise with them.  If they can do that, Carnival could do the same for within the Carnival family!

Thanks. We really don't know what to expect but we will be making the most of it regardless. Thank you for your insight!

People don't much talk about the Amazon when discussing "bucket lists."  We found it to be fascinating and place it right up there with Antarctica landings, China, Africa Safaris and all the wonderful places this world has to offer.  We have managed to visit all 7 continents and also lived in foreign lands.  During our Amazon cruise the ship stopped at Devil's Island which was also fascinating.  It will be very warm, so be aware.  Excursions to fish for piranha, visit local villages and folklife not to be missed.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 11:20 PM, Freyzer said:

The cruise to the amazon is really amazing. Im native from the Amazonas , Im live in a small fisher village called Boca da Valeria near of Parintins and Manaus . The cruise is to visit this ports of call. I will be happy to help you if you need some information about the ports in the amazon . Please let me know !

I'm hearing rumours that ships cannot go up the river because of drought conditions.  Is this true?

@trixiee -Thanks for the heads up.  Like @Mosaic we are on this trip in 2024.  I have done some reading and the people and region are in dire straits.  It's sad.  I hope if HAL does make a change it will be done in a timely manner.  We will still take the cruise, but I really don't want to deal with a Yellow Fever Vaccination or exemption letter unless I really have to.  Currently, we must show proof at the pier or they will not let us board.

• Like 1

We’re on this cruise departing Feb. 17, 2024. It’s a dream of mine; we did the western Amazon in, I think, 2016. @Strobe1, you will be one of the youngest on board, if not THE youngest. We’ll be age 70 at the time of this cruise. At one time the age of passengers bothered me it it doesn’t anymore. Now I realize the benefits of an older group, especially as we’re older. It’s only four months out and I’m so excited. 

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Pianodolls said:

Anyone having trouble with evisa?

Most people are struggling.  The process just started and good info to fill out the document requirements is not there (yet),  But a few people, included ourselves, have completed the necessary documentation----and we are now pending final review.  Which should take a few more days or more...;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pianodolls said:

Anyone having trouble with evisa?

Everyone going on the world cruise, it seems! Pete Laszcz at http://www.theinsidecabin.com has been helping all of us. Go to his 24 world cruise resources link. He just updated his Brazil visa instruction form yesterday. The process is a nightmare!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1