Cleanliness?

jeanlyon

2 hours ago, Sheila127 said:

It took me a few moments of profound shock until I realised I was on the wrong deck!

Exactly the same happened to me on Britannia where the doors don't always shut fully. Marched up to my cabin door and inserted the card. The door seemed to open very easily and I went in to find two strangers sitting on what I thought was my bed!

• Haha 9

Just got off Arvia afyer our 1st ever cruise and can confirm that carpets in cabins are not being vacuumed at all.

We were there 2 wks and bits of hair and fluff we found on the 1st day on entering our cabin were still there when we left.

I was intending to leave a tip for our cabin steward but couldn't bring myself to in the end. Our shower cubicle wasn't cleaned for 2 wks either.

All he seemed to do was make the bed, change the towels and put clean glasses out. We expected a little more than that tbh.

2 minutes ago, Confused.com said:

Just got off Arvia afyer our 1st ever cruise and can confirm that carpets in cabins are not being vacuumed at all.

We were there 2 wks and bits of hair and fluff we found on the 1st day on entering our cabin were still there when we left.

I was intending to leave a tip for our cabin steward but couldn't bring myself to in the end. Our shower cubicle wasn't cleaned for 2 wks either.

All he seemed to do was make the bed, change the towels and put clean glasses out. We expected a little more than that tbh.

Did you not complain?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Confused.com said:

I would have complained very early on in the cruise if I experienced these issues. In all the years we have cruised there has only been the odd thing not done, like cups not washed or the occasional towel missing. I wouldn’t have put up with carpets not being vacuumed or shower not cleaned. The cabin crew have always been very hard working and done a very good job in the very short time allotted to each cabin. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Confused.com said:

A quick word with housekeeping would perhaps have dealt with your issue's as nobody should have to put up with uncleaned showers, hoovering stateroom  carpets from our observations does not get dealt with as often as we would like

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jennizor said:

I would have complained very early on in the cruise if I experienced these issues. In all the years we have cruised there has only been the odd thing not done, like cups not washed or the occasional towel missing. I wouldn’t have put up with carpets not being vacuumed or shower not cleaned. The cabin crew have always been very hard working and done a very good job in the very short time allotted to each cabin. 

I agree, we have only had the odd hiccup, nothing major. All these problems now being reported, seem to me, to be post covid and larger ships, so not only more cabins per steward, but also new inexperienced crew?

Avril

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree, we have only had the odd hiccup, nothing major. All these problems now being reported, seem to me, to be post covid and larger ships, so not only more cabins per steward, but also new inexperienced crew?

Avril

That’s a very good point. Our steward on Iona was a long term member of staff. He also asked every couple of days if there was anything we needed so there was an opportunity to say if I had felt something was not done properly.

I would however have no hesitation in politely pointing out any deficiencies. I certainly would not tolerate dust or dirty carpets etc for a whole holiday. Staff only learn when issues are pointed out to them in a nice constructive way. Complaining after the event helps no one, least of all a new member of staff who then gets a bad feedback report having had no opportunity to improve it whilst the passenger was onboard.

• Like 6

Never had any issues with cleanliness. Seen plenty of shower heads outside in buckets, seen the room vacuumed, seen the shower and privy being cleaned, seen the balcony cleaned.  I see constant cleaning around the ship, all days.  It's a live working ship with thousands of people, it's going to get dirty.

When boarding look for the good exciting things rather than walking on going "I wonder what they haven't done this time, let's see what I can find to complain about".  If you go looking you will find fault for sure, I would anywhere with anything. Go on glass half full not half empty.

As ever it's your holiday, take it as you find it, don't listen to others, don't be swayed by others, don't go looking for issues, just go and enjoy it.  If you do have an issue be polite, use the right tone and non-verbal gestures, it'll get sorted.  Make demands and they will not be too bothered and do the bare minimum.  If one of my team comes to me at work with an issue and asks for something then I will listen and agree / compromise or do them a favour.  If one of my team comes to me at work demanding something then I will listen and they get whatever the policy states, nothing more, nothing less.  Some learn, some don't, some never will.

Edited by Red Leicester
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

Never had any issues with cleanliness. Seen plenty of shower heads outside in buckets, seen the room vacuumed, seen the shower and privy being cleaned, seen the balcony cleaned.  I see constant cleaning around the ship, all days.  It's a live working ship with thousands of people, it's going to get dirty.

When boarding look for the good exciting things rather than walking on going "I wonder what they haven't done this time, let's see what I can find to complain about".  If you go looking you will find fault for sure, I would anywhere with anything. Go on glass half full not half empty.

As ever it's your holiday, take it as you find it, don't listen to others, don't be swayed by others, don't go looking for issues, just go and enjoy it.  If you do have an issue be polite, use the right tone and non-verbal gestures, it'll get sorted.  Make demands and they will not be too bothered and do the bare minimum.  If one of my team comes to me at work with an issue and asks for something then I will listen and agree / compromise or do them a favour.  If one of my team comes to me at work demanding something then I will listen and they get whatever the policy states, nothing more, nothing less.  Some learn, some don't, some never will.

I'm sure the vast majority of us go on board "glass half full" but that doesn't mean that no issues of concern will arise. I've never stepped on board looking for things to complain about but on the odd occasion have had to raise an issue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pennib said:

In my experience, P&O are not good at cleaning the balconies but we were amazed when on Marella, the balcony got hosed down every week. 

I think on our recent cruise on Iona I don't think the cabin steward cleaned the balcony  or even went on it for the whole 14nts. Furniture was always in the same position as we had always left it.

49 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Hope they've been cleaned by the time you cruise again Jean, four years dust might be too much to deal with !!!!!🤣😂 

I imagine the stewards only vacuum once a week, one of which will be changeover day  so you will only see them once on a 14 night cruise and never on a 7 night cruise.  I doubt many of us vacuum more frequently at home, we only have a cleaner once a week, and I know many friends and relatives who only have a cleaner every 2 weeks.

35 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I imagine the stewards only vacuum once a week, one of which will be changeover day  so you will only see them once on a 14 night cruise and never on a 7 night cruise.  I doubt many of us vacuum more frequently at home, we only have a cleaner once a week, and I know many friends and relatives who only have a cleaner every 2 weeks.

We vacuum at least 3 times a week at home, steam the carpets once every 3 months to kill off dust mites and clean the carpets at least once a year. Always amazed at the amount of stuff our Shark cleaner picks up each time and there are only 2 of us and no pets. 

i think cleaning started to be cut back when P&O gave cabin stewards more cabins to do in the same amount of time as before, it was inevitable that there would be consequences.

Edited by Snow Hill

26 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We vacuum at least 3 times a week at home, steam the carpets once every 3 months to kill off dust mites and clean the carpets at least once a year. Always amazed at the amount of stuff our Shark cleaner picks up each time and there are only 2 of us and no pets. 

i think cleaning started to be cut back when P&O gave cabin stewards more cabins to do in the same amount of time as before, it was inevitable that there would be consequences.

You do realise that 90%+ of the stuff your vac picks up is carpet fibre......just saying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Good God.  vacuum 3 times a week!  I do it once.    Shampoo carpets twice a year.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You do realise that 90%+ of the stuff your vac picks up is carpet fibre......just saying.

Mrs YP wasn't impressed when she asked me "what's on the telly" and I replied "dust"

Joking apart a fair proportion of household dust is skin cells.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

agree.  And at our house, a bit of dog hair.   It's a bit like those who spend their first day on the cruise, antibaccing everything in the cabin.  Life is too short.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

I vacuum and dust daily because although there are only 2 of us I feel that we create dust and dirt just by being in the house.  I shampoo the carpets 3 or 4 times a year using our VAX carpet cleaner.

When I am holiday I accept that the cabin stewards do not have time to spend a long time cleaning each room and so long as it is vacuumed once a week I don't get too concerned.

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

agree.  And at our house, a bit of dog hair.   It's a bit like those who spend their first day on the cruise, antibaccing everything in the cabin.  Life is too short.

I will be taking the Shake and vac in October if you want to borrow it Jean.

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I will be taking the Shake and vac in October if you want to borrow it Jean.

What and cleaning the cabin yourself! 😄

Don’t tell P&O that, they’ll do away with all the cabin staff.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

My husband or I vacuum every day, steam weekly and carpet wash every six weeks. My hard floors and bathroom are mopped every other day with the Flash speed mop every day.  My cleaner deep cleans the whole bungalow weekky as well.  

I would expect my cabin floors to be vacuumed at least every other day and from my experience they normally are.

I believe the OP might be referring to my post and photo on Facebook following the 16-20 April cruise. I'm a pretty regular P&O cruiser (probably 20+ cruises). I'm afraid the photo is genuine and that cabin was a bit tired and not brilliantly clean on this occasion. It was only a 4 night cruise and the cabin steward was nowhere to be seen so I didn't bother complaining. Hopefully I was unlucky. Looking forward to Arvia in August.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:48 AM, majortom10 said:

Never believe on second hand info or passing it on without knowing the facts it just causes trouble. By the way can someone send me 3s4d I am going to a dance.