Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

So add us to the list of cancellations. They called and we opted for the deposit refund and cruise credits. We were offered shifts to March or April sailings in 2025 but decided we’re not going to keep kicking this can down the road any longer with Celebrity and we’re booking an alternate Japan vacation for next April. We have zero confidence in a 2025 sailing option at this point and 2026 is too long to wait.  We’re actually glad we were cancelled at this point to free us up from the uncertainty and allow us alternate options in 2024 before they’re gone. 

Details:

March 28 2024 sailing

Elite Captains club (RC Diamond)

veranda deck 7 

no free perks were attached to our cruise (drink packages, on board spending etc.)

No cruise credit was used to book

only had paid $900 deposit so far 

The cruise price was no great bargain (about the same as offered in 2025) 

We booked in April 2022 after we abandoned a 2023 Solstice booking made in 2021 that we decided was unlikely to happen.

I suspect this error is massive and will likely make main stream news soon which will damage Celebrities reputation. 

Just an option to consider if you don't want to shift to 2024/2025. We took a land trip to japan through an organized tour company and really enjoyed it. This also gives you the ability to try many of the local traveling options like bullet trains, bento boxes, and luggae forwarding services. Japan is an extremely safe, clean, and developed country. we wouldn't hesitate to travel there on our own in the future. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Just an option to consider if you don't want to shift to 2024/2025. We took a land trip to japan through an organized tour company and really enjoyed it. This also gives you the ability to try many of the local traveling options like bullet trains, bento boxes, and luggae forwarding services. Japan is an extremely safe, clean, and developed country. we wouldn't hesitate to travel there on our own in the future. 

Yes thanks - that’s what we’re doing and it looks like much more for the money even though it’s more expensive. We’re also doing Tokyo Disney. 

11 minutes ago, donald1039 said:

Yes thanks - that’s what we’re doing and it looks like much more for the money even though it’s more expensive. We’re also doing Tokyo Disney. 

Japan, JMO, is similar to NZ.  Both countries are more enjoyable travelling through them as opposed to around them. 

Not difficult for a DIY trip.

In the past I have combined land trips with a cruise.

Just a thought.

Annie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Japan is an extremely safe, clean, and developed country. we wouldn't hesitate to travel there on our own in the future. 

Tokyo is the cleanest city I have ever visited.  The problem with that is that they removed ALL the public trash cans.   People take their trash home to throw away.   I once carried a piece of trash for like 2 hours because I can't find a place to dispose it LOL.   I thought a public bathroom in the mall will for sure have a trashcan, right?   Nope, they don't have paper towel just air dryer for hands.   I finally found a MacDonalds, and they do have trash cans!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Tokyo is the cleanest city I have ever visited.  The problem with that is that they removed ALL the public trash cans.   People take their trash home to throw away.   I once carried a piece of trash for like 2 hours because I can't find a place to dispose it LOL.   I thought a public bathroom in the mall will for sure have a trashcan, right?   Nope, they don't have paper towel just air dryer for hands.   I finally found a MacDonalds, and they do have trash cans!

I don't remember having trouble finding a trash can. 

But it reminded me a bit of disney. The area we stayed in in Tokyo was an area where people were up all night. And there did end up being alot of trash on the street. We had trouble adjusting to the time change and were often up by 4-5am. And early morning, when the fewest people were out, the sanitation workers came through and picked it all up. 

But yes, in general, Tokyo and people in Japan in general are very clean.

Edited by sanger727

42 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Unlike in many Western countries, the Japanese consider it rude to walk and eat in public spaces.  They nearly always leave no rubbish behind. Recall the soccer World Cup ?? Their supporters carry black rubbish bags to the stadium and collect the rubbish as they leave.  They even clean the rival supporters' area and their own dressing room.

Annie

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic and I am sorry that this happened to you and your friends.  I suspect that since you got a great deal, you are going to choose the Lift and Shift option.

Thanks! Yes, I believe we are going to Lift and shift and hope for 2025! 

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

The primary reason IF I ever go to Japan it will be on a cruise ship is because I do not eat fish - not cooked, and definitely not raw. I'm also gluten-free - so no noodles and even teriyaki or soy sauce isn't safe unless it's specifically gluten-free. I need to know I have food I CAN eat available, which I will on a ship.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 3

Someone on my Roll Call (Oct 23) has just posted that their TA received a letter from Celebrity only today that advised them their booking was cancelled.  The TA had checked previously with Celebrity if their booking was at risk.

I think Celebrity needs to advise everyone the status of their booking on the impacted cruises.

This uncertainity will be very stressful for many.

Annie

8 hours ago, Judy Arthur said:

A couple of separate parties on FB claim to have been told that cancellations were being determined by price paid for the cruise.

Think that was just speculation.  We have spoken to X directly twice now…but who knows…anything is possible when the whole process seems to be a disaster 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Someone on my Roll Call (Oct 23) has just posted that their TA received a letter from Celebrity only today that advised them their booking was cancelled.  The TA had checked previously with Celebrity if their booking was at risk.

I think Celebrity needs to advise everyone the status of their booking on the impacted cruises.

This uncertainity will be very stressful for many.

Annie

This letter has just been posted on a FB group; I have not seen this format before, it is completely different to the previous letter I have seen posted and now specifically says what happens after 1 May 2023! Doesn't look like we are out of the woods and safe yet!

Update - now I am not so sure it is different- can anyone confirm?

img_2_1682110044038.jpg

Edited by pukekolive
G

On 4/18/2023 at 3:11 PM, Miaminice said:

I just got off the phone with Celebrity and had the usuall freaky experience.

I asked about our 10/24 Southern Japan cruise and if our booking is one of the cancelled bookings.

Rep: Cruise is cancelled
Me: Booking or cruise?
Rep: That is the same.

Me: No, it´s not the same. Cruise is oversold and only certain bookings are cancelled...
Rep: Please hold .... 5 minutes later...

Rep: I reread the information, only certain bookings

Me: Mine?
Rep: No
Me: When will I know for sure?
Rep: Well, your booking is red. So you are cancelled. We can offer bla bla bla
Me: I am not willing to do anything before I receive an official information that my booking is cancelled. And I did not!
Rep: Please hold... 10 minutes ...
Rep: I spoke to a supervisor. Your booking is not cancelled.
Me: (confused) And which info is correct? I am about to book excursions etc.
Rep: Go ahead and book but keep checking your emails...

I spoke several times. I was that overbooked is wrong only oversold on verander. Inside and retreat. They are trying to move people around. 

Anyone who received a letter with lift and shift options for March and April 2025 should ignore the online booking that shows nothing available and call Celebrity. I was offered to move my cruise to those dates and the rep could move it in the spot to same class (veranda). It appeared (but can’t be sure) that they have blocked online booking for those dates until this is worked out, likely to prevent the same mistake. 

6 minutes ago, pukekolive said:

This letter has just been posted on a FB group; I have not seen this format before, it is completely different to the previous letter I have seen posted and now specifically says what happens after 1 May 2023! Doesn't look like we are out of the woods and safe yet!

img_2_1682110044038.jpg

But...they didn't "exhaust every possibility" as that would have been asking for volunteers first before randomly cancelling people.

(I have no dog in the fight as I've only pondered a Japan cruise...it's never been super high on my "want to visit" list) - but I've followed this saga.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pukekolive said:

Update - now I am not so sure it is different- can anyone confirm?

img_2_1682110044038.jpg

On Tuesday, Miaminice posted a similar looking letter with post May 1 language.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

Think that was just speculation.  We have spoken to X directly twice now…but who knows…anything is possible when the whole process seems to be a disaster 

I believe it must’ve been their agent’s interpretation of the situation.   It’s hard to believe that a Celebrity rep would blatantly verbalize it in such a way, but nothing would surprise me at this point!

8 minutes ago, pukekolive said:

I don't remember the word 'disheartened' in the original letter ....

I see.  I think both versions are pretty disheartening.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The primary reason IF I ever go to Japan it will be on a cruise ship is because I do not eat fish - not cooked, and definitely not raw. I'm also gluten-free - so no noodles and even teriyaki or soy sauce isn't safe unless it's specifically gluten-free. I need to know I have food I CAN eat available, which I will on a ship.

I am in the same boat. I have celiac disease and my world travel is often limited to cruising. I have never gotten sick on a cruise.

• Like 1

A number of years ago, my wife and I booked a New England/Canada cruise down the St Lawrence Seaway from Boston to Quebec City during fall colors on NCL. I had worked in Quebec and along the Seaway a number of times and the colors were always spectacular in the fall. About 2 weeks before our cruise, NCL called to inform us that our cabin had been double booked. At that point, they offered us a refund OR, we could sail in an inside cabin for free, with the exception of us paying the taxes and fees of around $200. We jumped at our first and only inside cabin, and didn't regret it. Different lines know how to handle situations like this, and unfortunately, they possibly happen more in smaller amounts than we know of. NCL handled it correctly in our opinion, in that case.

• Like 3