I booked a cruise on Royal, should I have asked for a military discount?

Sigyn

I booked a cruise last week for spring 2024. My husband is a veteran and we get military discounts on Norwegian and Celebrity. I didn't think to check with Royal Caribbean. Do they offer military discounts and if so, how do I get it applied? 

23 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I booked a cruise last week for spring 2024. My husband is a veteran and we get military discounts on Norwegian and Celebrity. I didn't think to check with Royal Caribbean. Do they offer military discounts and if so, how do I get it applied? 

Royal, unlike other lines does not offer a military discount on every sailing.  Instead they use it on sailings that aren't selling very well as a way of reducing prices without having to offer everyone else  who has booked a price drop.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal, unlike other lines does not offer a military discount on every sailing.  Instead they use it on sailings that aren't selling very well as a way of reducing prices without having to offer everyone else  who has booked a price drop.

Can you clarify? I know when you're pricing a cruise you can see if you qualify for "special rates" like Residency, Military, Senior, Police/Fire/EMT but thought it was a rate, not a discount.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Can you clarify? I know when you're pricing a cruise you can see if you qualify for "special rates" like Residency, Military, Senior, Police/Fire/EMT but thought it was a rate, not a discount....like Princess has. 

None of those are rates.  They are all specials that are for select cruises only when Royal needs to selectively lower the price to target audiences to boost sales without opening up discounts to everyone.

Princess and a few other cruise lines offer the military discount on all sailings as a true thank you  to veterans for their past service.

Just because a box is there for you to check off does not mean that it will automatically give you a discount.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, paross4 said:

It may only be for active duty military.  (but I could be wrong)

I don't know that either; however, DH and I are both retired law enforcement, fire department and 1st responders, and they have honored our discounts on select cruises.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SilkySal said:

I don't know that either; however, DH and I are both retired law enforcement, fire department and 1st responders, and they have honored our discounts on select cruises.

And what documentation do they require for that?   I know the military has varying documentation for such things (and spouses).   My brother is retired law enforcement, but I’m not sure he has even tried for that discount.    I also wonder if spouses get it when not traveling with active military husband or wife for example?  Seems like they would in most other company programs. Again, royals discount seems to a rarity anyhow.

1 minute ago, topnole said:

And what documentation do they require for that?   I know the military has varying documentation for such things (and spouses).   My brother is retired law enforcement, but I’m not sure he has even tried for that discount.    I also wonder if spouses get it when not traveling with active military husband or wife for example?  Seems like they would in most other company programs. Again, royals discount seems to a rarity anyhow.

I believe it's either your active duty / retired card (like you use at a PX/BX) or your DD-214.

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yes the military or law enforcement rate would be available to your spouse or any travelling partner in the same cabin I believe

1 minute ago, topnole said:

We carry all of our credentials with us when we cruise (stamped retired) for proof of service. DH is also still an active first responder and I dispatch for our retirement community.

12 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

I believe it's either your active duty / retired card (like you use at a PX/BX) or your DD-214.

Have had a military discount ranging from $200-$600 on our last 4 cruises.  Alas nothing for our next and I check weekly as it seems to come & go at odd times.  We have never been asked for any type of proof of eligibility ever.  I do carry my DH’s DD215 and his military record info but never needed it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, poocher said:

Have had a military discount ranging from $200-$600 on our last 4 cruises.  Alas nothing for our next and I check weekly as it seems to come & go at odd times.  We have never been asked for any type of proof of eligibility ever.  I do carry my DH’s DD215 and his military record info but never needed it.

Very rare we ever get one either, but Bucky always has his VA card with him at all times, just in case they ever ask.  Just once they did, and was totally fine as proof.  

• Like 2

I spent over 20 years on active duty in the USAF   and I am currently Diamond Plus (I only mentioned the loyalty level to help emphasize how often I cruise on RCI). I have yet to see a military rate that was lower than the current rate available to anyone on any cruise I have booked. As others have stated the military rate is usually only offered on cruises that still have a lot of cabins available. For whatever reason I have never been able to take advantage of a military rate on RCI. Just a side note, but I have gotten a military discount on every Celebrity cruise I have sailed on. 

47 minutes ago, topnole said:

I also wonder if spouses get it when not traveling with active military husband or wife for example?

No spouses do not get the military discount if not traveling with the military member.

• Like 1