Princess Plus Frustration!

nini

We sail on the Sky in a few weeks and DH ordered our Medallions. We booked with the Plus package in July of 2021. So, Princess has had our money/ deposit for nearly two years. DH said they were charging him $10.00 in shipping and I said that should not be. I checked in with our Roll Call and members said that had similar issues and that they called their TA and/or Princess and they would be reimbursed.

FYI- it is on a Princess website that you will NOT be charged for the Medallion shipping IF you have purchased the Plus or Premium package. It is #39.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

I also know via the posts by our own @JimmyVWine that when onboard, the "old Plus" is honored the same way as the "New Plus".  The dealings with Princess were as follows:

In addressing the $10.00 charge for mailing the medallions to us, I called our TA. You will LOVE the response(s). The first response that they will give the fee back when on the ship. I asked how. So, his new response (Mario) is:

The second response is ............ wait for it...................... wait for it.....................

"You have the "Old Princess Plus" and therefore do not qualify to have the medallions mailed to you free of charge."

I told our TA that our "Old" Princess Plus is being treated just like the new one when onboard and I know that for a fact. Our TA told him this. His response was that, NO! We will have the limits of the "Old" one when onboard.

Thank you all for "listening".

Edited by nini
correction
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, nini said:

We sail on the Sky in a few weeks and DH ordered our Medallions. We booked with the Plus package in July of 2021. So, Princess has had our money/ deposit for nearly two years. DH said they were charging him $10.00 in shipping and I said that should not be. I checked in with our Roll Call and members said that had similar issues and that they called their TA and/or Princess and they would be reimbursed.

FYI- it is on a Princess website that you will NOT be charged for the Medallion shipping IF you have purchased the Plus or Premium package. It is #39.

I also know via the posts by our own @JimmyVWine that when onboard, the "old Plus" is honored the same way as the "New Plus".  The dealings with Princess were as follows:

In addressing the $10.00 charge for mailing the medallions to us, I called our TA. You will LOVE the response(s). The first response that they will give the fee back when on the ship. I asked how. So, his new response (Mario) is:

The second response is ............ wait for it...................... wait for it.....................

"You have the "Old Princess Plus" and therefore do not qualify to have the medallions mailed to you free of charge."

I told our TA that our "Old" Princess Plus is being treated just like the new one when onboard and I know that for a fact. Our TA told him this. His response was that, NO! We will have the limits of the "Old" one when onboard.

You need a new TA. I was on a cruise in March where we had the “old” Plus package. We were not billed for shipping and drinks were good up to $15. The only things we didn’t get were the new desserts fitness classes but the drink package was fine. When we ordered medallions for our cruise next month we were told there would be a fee but have never been billed and when we see our orders in the app the show zero charge. I believe it was a glitch. I would not worry but I would get rid of that TA

• Like 2

@nini, many posters here in the Princess forum have reported that they have not been billed the $10, even though the App indicates otherwise.  Probably some divine intervention somewhere along the line.  Personally, I would not sweat the $10 and either inquire to get it rebated as Refundable OBC on board or just pick them up at the pier.  I found there to be virtually zero minutes delay in picking up Medallions in Italy at the port last Fall (had no other option).

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 5

We board the Grand Princess in Anchorage a week from this Saturday (on May 27) with the original 'Plus' package and I got notice last week that our Medallions were shipped - supposed to be here tomorrow. I was not charged the $10 shipping fee. We booked this cruise last June (2022) and ordered the Medallions at that time per the App. 

• Like 1

@nini I also book my cruises way back (when they first come out).  I ordered my medallion when I read that the price of Princess Plus was going up (Feb 2023?).  I was not charged for the two cruises I had without the beverage package.  I was not charged for the two cruises ahead.  

Did you try to finish the order?  I would get a new TA.  I am sure (with documentation) you will be able to get your $10 while on board (as maybe...sorry...non-refundable OBC).  So much more paper work for Princess.  Was it worth it?  NO !

Just got free my medallion that I ordered in early February.  Booked standard fare. My future cruises also state they'll be shipped to me. FWIW I think those who booked prior to the increase will be just fine

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

We just booked our cruise in mid-Feb 2023 with the Plus package; just got our medallions a couple weeks ago and yes...I was charged the $10 shipping I was not supposed to be charged (package fine print from the big box retailer we booked with says "free shipping").

I called Princess and they gave me a refund form to complete that would take 6 weeks for any refund; I think I am just going to speak to guest services on my cruise next week and ask for the refund.

Edited by SuzieQ521
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Surely those who are Elite should get a discount.  Or is this another loyalty benefit that's being degraded?

Why should elites get a discount?  And I ask that as an elite.  Medallion shipping was never a loyalty benefit.  It was free for all passengers until the change in (IIRC) February.

• Like 5

The easiest solution to this issue is just to pickup your Medallions at check-in.  There is absolutely no need to have the Medallions prior to boarding.

We have picked up our Medallions at boarding numerous times now (because of pre-cruise trips) with absolutely no issues.  It has only taken a few extra minutes for the check-in agent to retrieve our Medallions.

Maybe if the majority of passengers select to pickup the Medallions at check-in, Princess will find it more efficient to mail them all out for free?

• Like 10

We booked with Princess Plus in September 2022 for an April 2024 cruise.  Was curious to see if we would be charged the $10 since we have the “old” Princess Plus so I selected the option to have it sent to us.  It showed $10 shipping will be charged and now I can’t find a way to go back to select pick up at the port.  So guess I’m paying $10 for shipping. 

31 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

We booked with Princess Plus in September 2022 for an April 2024 cruise.  Was curious to see if we would be charged the $10 since we have the “old” Princess Plus so I selected the option to have it sent to us.  It showed $10 shipping will be charged and now I can’t find a way to go back to select pick up at the port.  So guess I’m paying $10 for shipping. 

I don’t think you will. Look on your app and pull up your medallion order history. Mine now says zero charge

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

The easiest solution to this issue is just to pickup your Medallions at check-in.  There is absolutely no need to have the Medallions prior to boarding.

We have picked up our Medallions at boarding numerous times now (because of pre-cruise trips) with absolutely no issues.  It has only taken a few extra minutes for the check-in agent to retrieve our Medallions.

Maybe if the majority of passengers select to pickup the Medallions at check-in, Princess will find it more efficient to mail them all out for free?

Agree, 100% with you. We do not have the option to have shipped to us, because we spend most of our time at our home in the Philippines. So shipping to our US House doesn't help.  

But really no extra time or work to pick up at the port. Have done this four times now. I guarantee, if everyone said no to shipping, and they would pick up at the port, Princess would make the shipping free again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I don’t think you will. Look on your app and pull up your medallion order history. Mine now says zero charge

Looks like I was charged.  Maybe because I placed it after the cutoff date?  It’s okay…only $10.  And I didn’t see an option to go back to unselect the shipping option. 

IMG_2947.jpeg

Edited by mthomp5

9 hours ago, nini said:

Not quite, only the $ limit for drinks is being honoured, all new features and additions are not unless you upgrade (juice bar, desserts, classes etc...)

4 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Only USA residents can be mailed the Medallions. So many cruises, especially those that embark countries other than the USA, may not have many passengers able to have them shipped in advance of the cruise.

• Like 1

Those who booked a cruise AND ordered their Medallions before a certain date last December had them shipped at no cost even if the Plus or Premier package was not ordered. If the Medallion was not ordered until about the Devember deadline, there is a $10 shipping charge.

Those who ordered with the increased price Plus/Premier packages are supposed to have the Medallions shipped free, but many are finding this not to be the case.

• Like 2

Having the medallions mailed free is just another meaningless item they added into their packages to entice people to spend money on one of them. 

Maybe they can issue special medallion colors to let everyone see how special they are. 😁😁LOL

13 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Maybe they can issue special medallion colors to let everyone see how special they are. 😁😁LOL

Keep the current coloring scheme, but:

a) If shipped free to home have some vertical stripes

b) If shipped to home for $10 have some horizontal stripes

c) If picked up at the port, have no stripes

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, caribill said:

Keep the current coloring scheme, but:

a) If shipped free to home have some vertical stripes

b) If shipped to home for $10 have some horizontal stripes

c) If picked up at the port, have no stripes

As silly as it sounds, I'd bet they could sell that idea to some people. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@mthomp5 you can cancel your order then create a new order to pick up at port.  I am not sure they charge you now or when it is shipped.  

Thanks for the tip!  I checked my credit card and there wasn’t a pending charge so I went into the Medallion app and canceled the order to ship to my house. After I did that, I could see the order in my order history as canceled and I was back in the blue lane.  I placed a new order to pick up at port and I’m back in the green land and no charge.  We don’t mind picking up at the port like we used to with the cruise card. One less thing for us to remember to pack. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

1000% this!

• Like 3