Early Dining Time on Wonder - 5PM really? - How late can me show up?

55 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

When you have an appointment time for something the acceptable time to show up IS the appointment time. Or in my case, 15 minutes early is right on time.

My years in the USAF taught me (drilled into my skull) if you aren't 15 minutes early, you are late, and late is unforgivable

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

My years in the USAF taught me (drilled into my skull) if you aren't 15 minutes early, you are late, and late is unforgivable

One of the reasons why we no longer cruise with family and friends and always request a two top.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, davekathy said:

One of the reasons why we no longer cruise with family and friends and always request a two top.

I don't blame you. That said, when family is treating.... 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

When you have an appointment time for something the acceptable time to show up IS the appointment time. Or in my case, 15 minutes early is right on time.

Thank you, hopefully this sinks in with people, a basic rule of civility and consideration that is being neglected in recent times. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

IF you are not 15 minutes early you are already late.

EDIT: oops I didn't see @not-enough-cruising's post before posting mine. 🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

I am in the "always 15 minute (or more) early" crowd as well.  

Though most times the dining room does adhere to the opening time.  Doors closed until then, but not a big deal to join the line waiting for it to open. And then that line goes really fast as everyone after the first night, knows where their table is and just walks straight there.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 8:35 AM, feeloftheocean said:

Thank you all for the feedback. In our previous cruises, we have always prioritized being punctual for our assigned dining time, typically around 6 PM, and we truly appreciate the unique experience of enjoying the Main Dining room service that distinguishes cruises from other types of vacations.

We did My Time Dining this past week, with a standing 6:45 pm reservation - got our same waiter/assistant and table every night. It worked for us - Early was just too early for us (5 pm on Deck 3, or 5:30 on Decks 4 and 5) and Late would be too late (8 pm).

Since we had the standing reservations, we never waited to be seated. Actually, I stand corrected - the only time we waited was when we took a chance and arrived at 6 pm (to see if it would be possible to get in early), and we waited for like 2 minutes for them to find a table for 6 that the Early Dining folks had no-showed.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 9:12 PM, vjmatty said:

Actually, if you look on the app it’s usually a window….5:15 to 5:30, or sometimes 5:30 to 5:45, so it’s not an unreasonable question. 

Off topic, love the grey in your signature, If you have one, what arrangements for care do you have while cruising?

5 hours ago, temple1 said:

Off topic, love the grey in your signature, If you have one, what arrangements for care do you have while cruising?

Thanks…I actually have 3 very elderly Italian Greyhounds, and luckily a good friend and I take care of each others dogs when traveling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Thanks…I actually have 3 very elderly Italian Greyhounds, and luckily a good friend and I take care of each others dogs when traveling. 

I thought it was a goat.  But then I have goats.  

I booked a couple solo cruises.  Never done solo before.  Can I get my own two top table solo in the MDR or will they make me sit with other people?

Normally I wouldn't mind sitting with other people too much, but It might be odd to be a third wheel at a couple's table or something.

18 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

I booked a couple solo cruises.  Never done solo before.  Can I get my own two top table solo in the MDR or will they make me sit with other people?

Normally I wouldn't mind sitting with other people too much, but It might be odd to be a third wheel at a couple's table or something.

We usually get two tops in MTD and have had solo cruisers several times next to us by themselves.

We always end up chatting with them and have nice conversations if they are receptive.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

I request a table for just myself and have always gotten one.  If you have MTD they will automatically seat you by yourself

• Like 1

7 hours ago, latebuyer said:

On my cruise all the reservations are gone for mtd and i’m worried about waiting in line. I feel bad i’ll only be in mdr 4 nights out of 7 due to late port days but hopefully others will miss it as well.

I read that it is good thing to tell the dining room when you won't be in the next day.  That way they won't hold your place and give yours to an early MTD'er.   I would also guess that many people would eat dinner on shore on late port days.  

• Like 1

Following up on my initial post, I wanted to share that we have just returned from our cruise on the Wonder. We were fortunate to secure a great table exclusively for our group and made a concerted effort to be on time for dinner each night at 5 PM.

Here are some additional details:

• Our waiter informed us that arriving at 5:30 PM would be acceptable, and even 6 PM at the latest if, for instance, your excursion returns late in the afternoon (which actually happened to us in St. Thomas). Just remember to inform your waiter about any delays.
  • This schedule worked well for us as it allowed us ample time to enjoy the evening activities without feeling rushed.
  • By opting not to choose My Time Dining (MTD), or at least avoiding MTD without a reservation, we were able to avoid the long lines that often occurred when we finished our meal around 6:30 - 6:45 PM.
  • I would suggest planning your lunch accordingly. Having a late lunch, like at 1 PM, tends to affect my appetite when dinner is scheduled for 5 PM!
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, feeloftheocean said:

Following up on my initial post, I wanted to share that we have just returned from our cruise on the Wonder. We were fortunate to secure a great table exclusively for our group and made a concerted effort to be on time for dinner each night at 5 PM.

Here are some additional details:

• Our waiter informed us that arriving at 5:30 PM would be acceptable, and even 6 PM at the latest if, for instance, your excursion returns late in the afternoon (which actually happened to us in St. Thomas). Just remember to inform your waiter about any delays.
  • This schedule worked well for us as it allowed us ample time to enjoy the evening activities without feeling rushed.
  • By opting not to choose My Time Dining (MTD), or at least avoiding MTD without a reservation, we were able to avoid the long lines that often occurred when we finished our meal around 6:30 - 6:45 PM.
  • I would suggest planning your lunch accordingly. Having a late lunch, like at 1 PM, tends to affect my appetite when dinner is scheduled for 5 PM!

Thanks for the update! We are doing 5pm and I know, especially on coco cay, I'm going to over eat during the day and not even be hungry for dinner a few nights. But it's still good...rather get it done and have the night free for everything else. 

8 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Who are they giving the tables to when people are denied for arriving late?  Is there a waiting line for adhoc early dining or are MTD people showing up at 5:15?  

In our case, the one night (St Thomas) where we couldn't make it for dinner in time, we were given another table right next to our assigned one (it was about 6:30PM - we had informed the head waiter the night before and he told us to come directly to him and he would find us a table - no waiting in line). Our assigned table remained unused until the second seating started.

• Like 1