The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday May 20th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Be a Millionaire Day, National Bike to Work Day, and National Endangered Species Day

If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Jack Benny

Meal Suggestion for today - Caesar Salmon with Roasted Tomatoes & Artichokes
Drink of the Day - Le Provocateur
Wine of the Day - Kusuda Pinot Noir Martinborough 2020
Destination of the Day - Tolagnaro, Fort-Dauphin, Madagascar

Today in History:
1927 At 7:40 AM, Charles Lindbergh takes off from New York to cross the Atlantic for Paris, aboard Spirit of St Louis in the 1st solo nonstop transatlantic flight

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 0700 - 1500

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada a0700

Nieuw Amsterdam

Victoria, British Columbia 1000-1800

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Hammerfest, Norway eta 21 May

Noordam

At Sea destination Whittier, Alaska eta 21 May

Oosterdam

Casablanca, Morocco 0700-1700

Rotterdam

Amsterdam, Holland destination Amsterdam, The Netherlands 0700-1700

Volendam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Westerdam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Zaandam

Boston, Massachusetts 0700-1700

Zuiderdam

Ponta Delgada, Azores 0700-1700

0520Atlantic.thumb.png.ab75b723b8d1a71570806f9e1314ecd6.png

0520Alaska.thumb.png.037a99ba75ba9d318ded02eddb10a17c.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.

It is currently sunny and 61°F here.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Today's food sounds good.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and for Eva @superoma who sadly lost her dad last night.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Screenshot_20230520_113152.jpg

Screenshot_20230520_113340.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Raining with a little fog here this morning.  It's the Victoria Day long weekend!  The unofficial kick-off to summer, I wish it was warmer.  It seems that today is also yard sale/garage sale day (or whatever you call them).  Groups and individuals will be selling their stuff.  Lots of people driving around, parking where ever to get the "good stuff".  I try to avoid it.  I should get rid of some stuff, but I just donate it to charity rather than go to the bother of selling it myself (I guess I'm lazy).

I'm not a millionaire and I don't play one on TV.  I don't bike to work.  We need to protect endangered species.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great weekend.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Saturday May 20 care and celebration list

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Jazzyv with knee and back pain but doing things

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Cruznterri’s dh taking it easy after mohs surgery

1angelcat with a very sick kitty

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

NextOne with new afib concerns

Superoma’s family on the death of her father

Wildfire and tornado victims

Smoke from the wildfires moving east

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

Flooding victims in Ravenna, Italy

From the rotation:

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab but close to home

Atexsix DF working on getting

Roy recovering from pneumonia and getting stronger

Celebrations

Tana, celebrating small wellness victories as they occur

Father David on a pilgrimage for 3 weeks (May 21)

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

Cruising-along good nephrologist appointment 

Summer slope’s Bailey doing better

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Bon voyage Crazy For Cats(Zaandam 5/20 to 5/27)

7 days Oceansaway17 (Disney fantasy 5/27 to June 3)

Cruising 

Marshhawk (Nieuw Amsterdam to 5/21)

Crazy For Cats(Zaandam to 5/27)

Jazzyv cruise, Germany vacation to 5/28

Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam to 5/28)

SusieKIslandGirl (Nieuw Statendam to5/28)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 20

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today’s the day!  Looking forward to boarding the Zaandam today.  Overnight I received an email from HAL that the Zaandam has a mandatory US Coast Guard inspection and that boarding times are delayed an hour, unfortunately we can’t change our arrival time this late.  It probably means that the MDR will not be open for lunch today.  DH received an email from HAL telling him to use Verifly, that’s not happening. We will just go with the flow once we get there.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

• Like 37

2 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today’s the day!  Looking forward to boarding the Zaandam today.  Overnight I received an email from HAL that the Zaandam has a mandatory US Coast Guard inspection and that boarding times are delayed an hour, unfortunately we can’t change our arrival time this late.  It probably means that the MDR will not be open for lunch today.  DH received an email from HAL telling him to use Verifly, that’s not happening. We will just go with the flow once we get there.

Good wishes that everything goes smoothly today and you both have a fabulous cruise.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Le Provocateur cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 1/2 parts Mathilde Poires (100% Natural Pear Liqueur)
1/2 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
1/2 part fresh Lime Juice
2 dashes Bitters
Garnish Pear, Sliced

Instructions
Pour all ingredients in a shaker full of ice. Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a freshly cut slice of pear.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.58.02 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Thank you to everyone who sent condolences on the death of my father. I did not get much sleep so today will need a nap for sure. Clearing out his house and dealing with the rest of his estate will keep my sister and I busy for several weeks if not months. I keep reminding myself one step at a time. Because Monday is a holiday the funeral is delayed until Wednesday morning because we can’t get the paperwork signed to open the gravesite until Tuesday at 3 pm. He will be buried beside our mother who passed almost 33 years ago. 

again, thanks to all of you for your support.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 12

Thank you Rich, Eva, Debbie/Tina, Dixie, and Ann.  I'll salute all of the days as well as Lucky Lindbergh.  Eva, while your dad's passing his taking care of his final arrangements was one of the best gifts he could give you.  May he rest in peace.  Bon Voyage Jake.  Sadly, the Boston Cruise terminal is not the best of places to be looking for lunch.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Tropical Fruit Medley, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Baked Alaska  as served on MS Veendam May 20, 2013.

Roy

• Like 35

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

As I write this, I am thinking that this time next Saturday I will be in the air on the first leg of my journey to Alaska. I feel tired as I will need to be at the airport at 4:30 in the morning. Hope the plane has lots of coffee. 

Today I will be finishing up my packing. Everything is all set for me to set sail on 5/28/2023 Whittier to Vancouver on the Nieuw Amsterdam. 

I don't have to cut the grass today which is good. Feels like rain is coming. 

Thinking of everyone today. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 34

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! We have a thick marine layer that is just starting to burn off now. 

Eva, I am so sorry to read about your Dad’s passing. My prayers for you and your family and your Dad’s friends. I hope wonderful memories help ease your pain.

Dixie & Debbie, thank you for making the Daily happen!  I am heading to Zumba this morning. Then yard work, Bindi walks and ending the day at a friend’s for dinner. 

IMG_1301.jpeg.b1136a6e1d59a6faada6521a4f3ed07d.jpeg

IMG_1316.jpeg.b336e50e1f7c6dd5b1be144148f8467e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Sandi, hope you are feeling better. 
Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Kusuda Pinot Noir Martinborough 2020

Well this Pinot Noir is not only elusive, it is way outside of my budget. It has a large number of fans in the consumer world. I could see a couple of critic ratings, but could not access their full reviews without becoming a member of their group. I did find one UK distributor that would ship a case to me for a mere $1,861.97. But I would love a taste. 

Distributor Notes 

Tokyo-born Hiroyuki (known as Hiro) Kusuda trained as a lawyer and worked for Fujitsu, then the Consulate General of Japan in Sydney before giving it all up to pursue his other love, wine and winemaking. He went to Germany, learned the language, enrolled at Geisenheim and then emigrated to New Zealand to pursue both the Riesling and Pinot grapes – to which a third challenge, Syrah, has now been added. The choice of New Zealand in general and Martinborough in particular apparently came about through tasting the 1992 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir.

Hiro is a driven individual, totally focussed on seeking purity of fruit character in his wines. A key feature to achieve quality is the extremely meticulous if not fanatical sorting of the fruit, at harvest and especially on the berries before vinification. The Claremont Motel in Martinborough has Kusuda as their most important client during vintage as hordes of pickers pay their own way from Japan to say they’ve been able to work with one of Japan’s most highly regarded winemakers and contribute to the quality! Some stay for two days, others for a month or more. It takes 2-3 days for 10-15 people to sort through one tonne of Pinot Noir, depending on the health of the fruit. From around 10-15 tonnes of fruit, the annual output is less than 1,000 cases. 70% of the tiny Kusuda production goes to Japan, where it has a cult following. The remainder is sold evenly in NZ, Australia and the UK.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 8

Good morning to all. It is going to rain on and off later today and only be in the mid sixties. If a person tried to bike to work around here it would be very dangerous. Yesterday I saw a man on a skateboard on the access road to the NYS thruway. I sure hope he didn’t go on that road. No millionaires here but maybe in the fancier neighborhoods. I have not been to the port.

The executive chef finally feels a little bit hungry so we are deciding on tonight’s meal. I do have salmon after the fish store visit yesterday and some really ripe strawberries. We had a sheet pan dinner with cod and bok choy last night so will be very fishy here. 
Enjoy the day everyone!

• Like 31

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Bon voyage Jake & DH!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Bon Voyage! Have a great cruise and enjoy.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  I don’t have to work today so I won’t be biking there. It’s important to be aware of and protect endangered species.  Interesting quote.  The meal suggestion sounds very good.  Not sure about the drink but I’d taste it to see if I liked it. Prayers for everyone on our list with condolences to @superoma on the loss of her father. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events like @Crazy For Cats boarding the Zaandam!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

We had cheese and ham toasties and fresh strawberries for lunch and currently we are lying on our sunbeds where it is sunny and 62°F at 13.12pm.

IMG_20230520_131600.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 29
  • Haha 1

Good Saturday morning.  

Eva @superoma  Sincere condolences on the passing my of your dear father.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports.    Endangered species day is very important because sadly the list of them gets longer and longer due to habitat loss.   A strange quote.   I will pass on the salmon, the fruity cocktail and the fabulously priced wine.  Thanks for researching them for us.   

Today will probably be my last post for a couple of days because we will be on the road the next two  mornings and setting up wifi is lower on our need to do list.  Thankfully the cabin has been cleaned and the furniture uncovered and back where it belongs.   A few less things to do.    Another big day of horse racing here while I clean the house and step outside and back in between races to spray poison ivy.    Have a wonderful weekend!    Nancy 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info everyone!

Let’s see, Ride bike to work day. It’s Saturday! But in my younger days I did ride my bike to and from work everyday. Be a millionaire day; I will go all out today and treat ourselves to lunch at Red Lobster! And finally endangered species day; that’s what one of my neighbors calls me! 😳

• Like 13
  • Haha 11

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We had cheese and ham toasties and fresh strawberries for lunch and currently we are lying on our sunbeds where it is sunny and 62°F at 13.12pm.

IMG_20230520_131600.jpg

There those legs again!

• Like 5
  • Haha 13