Am I being unreasonable?

cassie55

I'll start by saying we are Sapphire latitudes around 1 cruise off Diamond level and are loyal (up to now) NCL cruisers.  

We were given FCCs of £600 each that we had to use by a year from our previous cruise.  Due to work and family commitments we were struggling to find something but there is a cruise that leaves 2 days after that deadline. Our travel agent didn't think that a big deal but has contacted several depts in NCL and escalated it but NCL says no.

I could understand if I was asking for months or even weeks extension but this is TWO days. What difference does it really make?

I work for an airline, we are far more flexible bending the rules for our higher levels frequent flyers as we recognise loyalty but that doesn't seems to apply to NCL sadly.

We love the service and experience we get onboard but very disappointed that NCL won't accommodate (what we think is) a very small adjustment. 

not being unreasonable, no.

however, you should have no realistic expectation that they will bend the rules for you. keep at it, escalate the concern, and reach out to corporate executive offices, in miami. i personally think for things like this, you’re better off contacting NCL directly, rather than through a TA.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cassie55 said:

I'll start by saying we are Sapphire latitudes around 1 cruise off Diamond level and are loyal (up to now) NCL cruisers.  

We were given FCCs of £600 each that we had to use by a year from our previous cruise.  Due to work and family commitments we were struggling to find something but there is a cruise that leaves 2 days after that deadline. Our travel agent didn't think that a big deal but has contacted several depts in NCL and escalated it but NCL says no.

I could understand if I was asking for months or even weeks extension but this is TWO days. What difference does it really make?

I work for an airline, we are far more flexible bending the rules for our higher levels frequent flyers as we recognise loyalty but that doesn't seems to apply to NCL sadly.

We love the service and experience we get onboard but very disappointed that NCL won't accommodate (what we think is) a very small adjustment. 

Deadlines are deadlines. You have made a decision to prioritize work and family and you decided to forfeit the FCC. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Deadlines are deadlines. You have made a decision to prioritize work and family and you decided to forfeit the FCC. 

I don't disagree but it's TWO days.  and for prioritising work and family - well yes, I need to work and  can't leave certain family members.  But for a 2 day extension we will re-consider our relationship with NCL.  We usually do two cruises a year, usually in a suite but they obviously don't care about our loyalty.       You think asking for a 2 day extension is unreasonable? 

Edited by cassie55
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cassie55 said:

... but they obviously don't care about our loyalty.       

No, they don't. They wouldn't even comp our room service after my ex had an onboard medical emergency that cost thousands of dollars in medical expenses (fortunately we had insurance) and obviously ruined the rest of our trip. It would've cost NCL nothing to be kind, and it would've made a sad situation better. That along with other bits and bobs along the way is why I gave up my loyalty status to try other lines. 

Deadlines are deadlines and rules are rules – but the first rule of building and retaining customer loyalty is that you reward loyalty. 

• Like 1

Not being unreasonable at all.  The last three years we've had more leeway with one airline than any other business including an issue last week.

It's called doing the right thing.

Edited by dexddd
  • Like 4

Definitely not unreasonable and you should prioritize work and family as they are more important than any vacation. 

I would call NCL yourself and see if there is anything they can do.  It really depends on who answers the call.  There are some PCC's that will go over and above to help you and there are others that will give you the standard answer and not want to be bothered to do anything extra like contact their supervisor to see if they can get an exception.

Good luck and I hope things work out.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, cassie55 said:

I don't disagree but it's TWO days

I wonder how often companies bidding on multi-million $ projects get extensions for TWO DAYs because they decided there were other priorities.

OK, we're talking a little less money here, sure.  How often does your boss give you extensions on projects because you decided something else was more important than that work?

• Like 2

It's you expectations that are unrealistic, nothing wrong with asking and hoping for a good result but saying you will reconsider your relationship based on them being unwilling to ease a deadline you have known about for a year is a bit over the top. 

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

From everything I’ve read, it seems like cruise lines really don’t care about status like airlines do, rules are the same for all, deadlines are deadlines.

A misconception by many, when it comes to NCL policy status means nothing, in general except for the perks at each level it means nothing

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unreasonable?  No.  But, as Cole mentioned, where is the line drawn?  How about 3 days?  3 months?  Somewhere in between?

Regarding loyalty status….I’ve flown at least a Million Miles (ea) on 2 different airlines.  They really don’t care, either.  I get some priority boarding privileges (usually board after kids, old people, current upper tier Medallion status, people who are infirm, etc).  So, that nets me next to nothing.  Airlines are focused more on the “how much have you spent with me this year?”, not “look how much you’ve spent with us overall”.  I’ve tried to tally that number.  And, it’s in the Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars.  What do I get?  “Mr GG you get a middle seat on this transatlantic flight because you’ve only flown 30K miles this year”.

NCL’s treatment of Latitudes (I’m Sapphire, also) status tends to go between tripping all over themselves to help me and “hey……we’ll let you board after the same people who just boarded before you on the flight”).  They give me some wine, which I don’t drink.  And, do some of my laundry for free.  That’s really about it.

As far as making exceptions?  Neither the airlines nor the cruise lines are known to do so, nor do I expect it.

Best of luck finding a cruise that works for you and them.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cassie55 said:

Why is it unreasonable for the cruise line to grant an extension of two days but it isn't unreasonable for  you to change your plans by two days so you can use the FCC?  You've  had almost a year to work something out to use the FCC according to the terms and conditions.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the poster above, why do you think it's unreasonable for NCL not to extend the FCC by 2 days, but it's not unreasonable for you to book a cruise within the timeframe? If they extend yours by 2 days, then what about the person who asks for an extension by 4 days, 8 days, 12 days, 30 days, 40 days. When does it end? You asked (can't hurt to ask), they said no, so figure out a cruise that leaves within the timeframe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cassie55 said:

I had a similar situation with a 10% FCC that I was able to get extended for a month. 

Do not bother going through your TA.  I've tried that many times for assorted requests and each time my TA was denied.  I then go directly to NCL and usually have gotten my reasonable request granted (to my TA's surprise).  The key is that the request be fair and reasonable which I feel this is.  

I also always e-mail as I feel a request made in writing is better than explaining myself over and over to different people at NCL on the phone... many of whom do not have the authority to make the decision any way.

A brief, extremely polite request to Katty Bird outlining the issues and requesting the reasonable accommodation usually works for me.  I had an answer agreeing to the FCC request I outlined above within a day.

It never hurts to ask... Good luck!

Edited by lgdesign
  • Like 2

I agree with "call NCL directly".

I recently had to ask for a refund/credit for a theatre ticket I bought with a "no refunds" policy.  I sent a very polite and truthful e-mail.  There was a "pending credit" on my card almost immediately.

Although you had a year, I understand....planning for multiple people when school/work are involved isn't easy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cassie55 said:

when it states " must be used with-in 1 year", maybe that does not mean the cruise must depart by one year.  Maybe you can use your FCC for a cruise that has a final payment with-in the time frame.  In my opinion, once the cruise is paid, it has been completely booked with-in the time frame.  Call NCL and ask about that ( final payment vs cruise by date).  You just might get someone helpful.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

when it states " must be used with-in 1 year", maybe that does not mean the cruise must depart by one year.  Maybe you can use your FCC for a cruise that has a final payment with-in the time frame.  In my opinion, once the cruise is paid, it has been completely booked with-in the time frame.  Call NCL and ask about that ( final payment vs cruise by date).  You just might get someone helpful.

Unfortunately, they did say we had to depart before the year was up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hallux said:

I wonder how often companies bidding on multi-million $ projects get extensions for TWO DAYs because they decided there were other priorities.

OK, we're talking a little less money here, sure.  How often does your boss give you extensions on projects because you decided something else was more important than that work?

Actually, I have just been given an extension by the British Government on a project.  They sent me an RFP which arrived the day we left on holiday (yes, a cruise) and I got back 3 weeks later to find it was due back in a week.  After explaining the situation I was given an extra week to submit - as it happened I submitted on time but the option was there.     It's called being flexible with important customers/suppliers.

• Like 2