Beverage carryon

Seems to me that carrying on wine, water etc would be a heavy burden and take up packing space.  If I am spending $$$ for a cruise, I would factor in the purchase price on board. Can the added cost on the overall vacation price be that overwhelming?  How much does one really save BYOB?

water is plentiful and fine.…refill your carry on bottle.

By the way, any drinks ordered on board can be taken back to your cabin… or anywhere on board.

• Haha 1

It’s fine with me too, but seems so unnecessary considering the effort.  ( Of course a wine connoisseur may find the effort worthwhile despite the ship having several selections.)

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Not just people being frugal, but there are plenty of beverages that people like that aren't available on board, too.

That is why we'll be bringing stuff on board.  DH gets cranky without his Diet DP.   Even when available, it can and does run out on cruises starting in Texas.  

I am particular about my champagne, so we'll bring that on board too.  
We won't bring water.  We'll either buy it beforehand or use our brita water bottles (probably the later)  

We will have our beverages, and carry-ons for the four of us in one of those collapsible wagons and once on I'll find an out-of-the-way chair to read a book and stash the wagon near my chair until our rooms are ready.  

4 hours ago, roupa said:

Seems to me that carrying on wine, water etc would be a heavy burden and take up packing space.  If I am spending $$$ for a cruise, I would factor in the purchase price on board. Can the added cost on the overall vacation price be that overwhelming?  How much does one really save BYOB?

water is plentiful and fine.…refill your carry on bottle.

By the way, any drinks ordered on board can be taken back to your cabin… or anywhere on board.

What difference does it make to you what others want to do?
Is it in your carry-on?
Are you the one that has to carry it?
Do you know the reason they want to bring their own? Or did you ask multiple people?

For some people taking a cruise is a once-in-a-lifetime luxury expense, maybe twice ... that little extra effort and savings might mean a lot to someone

As others said, maybe their preferred brand is not available onboard... My husband has to have his Mountain Dew... I always said if he could, he would get an IV put in for his Dew

I honestly do not see the point of your post. 

• Like 9

Seems to me that carrying on clothes, shoes etc would be a heavy burden and take up packing space.  If I am spending $$$ for a cruise, I would factor in the purchase price on board. Can the added cost on the overall vacation price be that overwhelming?  How much does one really save BYOC?

t-shirts are plentiful and fine.…wash your undies in the sink.

By the way, any clothing purchased on board can be taken back to your cabin… or anywhere on board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, vswan said:

It's been a while since I cruised RCI. Can you bring on soda? How much per person. Know from above posts that it would need to be carried on.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted.

Edited by Another_Critic

16 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Is the ‘no plastic bottles’ rule still enforced for soda carry-on?

No, never heard about ban on plastic carry on. Royal even sells water in plastic bottles. Must be some other line youre thinking of. I always bring 12ct of 16.9oz bottles 

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

No, never heard about ban on plastic carry on. Royal even sells water in plastic bottles. Must be some other line youre thinking of. I always bring 12ct of 16.9oz bottles 

Are your bottles glass or plastic?  I’ve had plastic bottles taken from me upon embarkation.  Maybe I’ll just be safe and bring cans. Thanks. 😊

39 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Are your bottles glass or plastic?  I’ve had plastic bottles taken from me upon embarkation.  Maybe I’ll just be safe and bring cans. Thanks. 😊

Nope, never had plastics taken from me. Cruising Royal since 1980's, carrying on my Dt Dew since 1993 and do 4-8 Cruises a yr. Limit is 12ct 17oz each. Went out of 3 different US Ports in last 12months, never an issue

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

OP, not sure who you are trying to convince. We can all make our own decisions.

Personally, we always fly or drive in the day before, so running to the store to get some wine or other beverages is no big deal.  Most places we've stayed in Florida have a Publix within walking distance.  I'd rather have what I want, and save money while doing it.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, roupa said:

If I am spending $$$ for a cruise, I would factor in the purchase price on board. Can the added cost on the overall vacation price be that overwhelming?  

I don't understand this thought process.  Just because I've spent $$$ on the cruise doesn't mean I shouldn't be frugal about drinks.  The ticket purchase is one purchase.  Drink purchases are a separate choice, and I don't see any connection.  Perhaps you'd choose to stay in an Inside Guarantee so you could afford the Deluxe Drink Package.  Perhaps I'd pay for a suite but drink only water.  Unrelated topics.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, roupa said:

How much does one really save BYOB?

That's an easy calculation.  Let's say you bring a 12-pack of soda (which, in my experience, lots of people do).  A 12-pack costs $5 at my local grocery store.  

In contrast, buying 12 cans of soda onboard Royal Caribbean would cost 3.50 + 18% mandatory tip.  That'd come to $49.56 ... so you'd save $44.56 by carrying on your 12-pack.  Per person.  

On 5/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, roupa said:

It’s fine with me too, but seems so unnecessary considering the effort.  ( Of course a wine connoisseur may find the effort worthwhile despite the ship having several selections.)

Glad it's fine with you what I bring.  

Not a big effort to bring cans in a backpack, assuming no mobility issues.  Consider, too, you could bring it in a wheeled bag.

23 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

... As others said, maybe their preferred brand is not available onboard... My husband has to have his Mountain Dew ...

Yes, my husband has become hooked on Mountain Dew Zero lately.  That's not a popular drink.  I can't even find it at the grocery store every day of the week.  

19 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Is the ‘no plastic bottles’ rule still enforced for soda carry-on?

I'm not aware the cruise line has ever had a problem with plastic bottles, but I personally try to stick to aluminum cans for environmental reasons; aluminum recycles easily, whereas much plastic cannot ... and every piece of plastic that's ever been sent to a landfill is still in that landfill.  This business of America selling its plastic refuse to third world countries is already starting to catch up to us.  

• Like 4