New automated response for Dining requests

First time I have seen this.  Just got this auto email response for my table request

Please be advised, requests that do not have the ship and sail date in the
subject line cannot be processed.  Non group requests will be processed 30
days before departure.  Table assignments can be found on your Seapass card
received at check in at your port of departure.

41 minutes ago, molly361 said:

First time I have seen this.  Just got this auto email response for my table request

Honestly I'm surprised they even still take requests.  So many people seem to "have" to sit in a certain location such as next to a window, they have to be overwhelmed with requests.  They have to plan out seating for every cruise at the end of the prior cruise.  Thousands of people per ship.  We have never requested a particular table or section.  The most our TA does is link us if we request it because we have others we want to dine with and ask for an 8 top.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.8137aa8ba22c20c8b4eaa8cbea74bb09.jpeg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, BND said:

Honestly I'm surprised they even still take requests.  So many people seem to "have" to sit in a certain location such as next to a window, they have to be overwhelmed with requests.  They have to plan out seating for every cruise at the end of the prior cruise.  Thousands of people per ship.  We have never requested a particular table or section.  The most our TA does is link us if we request it because we have others we want to dine with and ask for an 8 top.  

I'm guessing the number is not that big. A lot of people don't care where they sit. A lot of people don't know that a request can even be made. We see threads on CC occasionally discussing how to make a request but... what percentage of cruisers know about Cruise Critic and then what percentage of those people worry about where they are going to sit?

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm guessing the number is not that big. A lot of people don't care where they sit. A lot of people don't know that a request can even be made. We see threads on CC occasionally discussing how to make a request but... what percentage of cruisers know about Cruise Critic and then what percentage of those people worry about where they are going to sit?

It also gets asked a lot on other social media sites.  

19 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Even then writing a program to handle that is a freshman level problem.  

They used to put effort into putting similar people together.  When we first started cruising we were always seated with people about our age, empty nesters usually so no kids, similar C&A status most of the time.  Now, it's completely random.  One cruise, we were seated with 4 other people.  Two were a Vietnamese woman and her 18 yr old son.  English wasn't her first language, but we managed to talk we just didn't have much in common but her son was very polite and easy to converse with.  At the same table were two guys (couple) who sat as far away as possible from the 4 of us, talked only to each other and never once acknowledged they were seated at a table with other people.  We even said hello and they just ignored all of us.  Truly weird.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

My husband and I are perfectly happy to sit with strangers at breakfast and lunch. At dinner we have ZERO interest in sitting with strangers for seven nights. Nope. Sorry. We enjoy eating at our own pace, and talking about our own private lives. Now we have no issues with chatting with the people at the next table - the tables are so close that is easy. However having that six inch space between tables allows us to choose whether we want to talk to others that night or just keep to ourselves. Each to their own, that is why cruising is such a flexible vacation!

• Like 8

I think the ship  date reference is a good idea. Perhaps they want to handle them in some  sort of cruising date order to answer cruises that are close to sail date. 

I laugh when I see posts asking about requesting a window table  for  late seating in the wintertime. It will be dark, and the curtains closed. 

We had a lovely window table a few cruises ago (didn’t requested, that’s what was assigned by the my time staff) bit even though it was daylight at dinner time, the curtains were closed.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I think the ship  date reference is a good idea. Perhaps they want to handle them in some  sort of cruising date order to answer cruises that are close to sail date. 

I laugh when I see posts asking about requesting a window table  for  late seating in the wintertime. It will be dark, and the curtains closed. 

We had a lovely window table a few cruises ago (didn’t requested, that’s what was assigned by the my time staff) bit even though it was daylight at dinner time, the curtains were closed.  

I get a chuckle when people specifically ask to be seated by the window then complain about about the amount of light/glare from that window. If we request a location, it is for a table along the railing.  Sometimes we are assigned a window table.  Hubby is more sensitive to light/glare, so I take the seat with more light/glare.  And sometimes the curtains are already closed.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cello56 said:

My husband and I are perfectly happy to sit with strangers at breakfast and lunch. At dinner we have ZERO interest in sitting with strangers for seven nights. Nope. Sorry. We enjoy eating at our own pace, and talking about our own private lives. Now we have no issues with chatting with the people at the next table - the tables are so close that is easy. However having that six inch space between tables allows us to choose whether we want to talk to others that night or just keep to ourselves. Each to their own, that is why cruising is such a flexible vacation!

This, same.  I've had great matches and not so great matches in the past and these days our time together and alone is so precious we enjoy 2 tops!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I get a chuckle when people specifically ask to be seated by the window then complain about about the amount of light/glare from that window. If we request a location, it is for a table along the railing.  Sometimes we are assigned a window table.  Hubby is more sensitive to light/glare, so I take the seat with more light/glare.  And sometimes the curtains are already closed.

Or they complain that since it's dark outside, all they are seeing is their reflection in the window.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Or they complain that since it's dark outside, all they are seeing is their reflection in the window.  

I can understand wanting a table where your chair didn't adjoin a walkway, and a window might do that.  But, if it is dark outside ... 

3 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I can understand wanting a table where your chair didn't adjoin a walkway, and a window might do that.  But, if it is dark outside ... 

We have found that we like a 2-top along the railing, if we are seated in one of the upper dining rooms.  It's fun to watch what's going on below.  However you are correct, there is a walkway.  We do enjoy windows as well, but we know that at night the view will be of us, lol.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

o

I ask for a window, not for the view, but to not have others seated by me.    I have found tables I like on each ship that are in the corridor areas to the smaller rooms and always ask for one of those.   I have a list of tables for each ship.  I send it in about 45 days before the cruise and have always had success.   I look at my seapass when I pick it up and if it ever were not the table I request then I can go to the MDR and see what table they have assigned and ask to be moved if needed.   So far I have always been accommodated.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

I ask for a window, not for the view, but to not have others seated by me.    I have found tables I like on each ship that are in the corridor areas to the smaller rooms and always ask for one of those.   I have a list of tables for each ship.  I send it in about 45 days before the cruise and have always had success.   I look at my seapass when I pick it up and if it ever were not the table I request then I can go to the MDR and see what table they have assigned and ask to be moved if needed.   So far I have always been accommodated.

I also have some specific table numbers that I have requested

13 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

We are new to RC.  This is great information!  Where did you get the list of tables and who do we email? I am not trying to be stingy; but we rarely get to visit with our son and DIL (he has been in the military and just got out).  We would cherish dinner alone with them.

We have never requested a table-can I just request through my travel agent for our party to be seated together?  I am not particular about where we are located, but for one cruise would like a 2 top as it will be just my son and I. For the following week, we will be 8 people. If our reservations are linked, will we automatically be seated together or is a request needed?  Thanks!

15 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

May I ask , when did you  last cruise  ?

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

I also have some specific table numbers that I have requested

You realize with all the shuffling around ..., for example , turning any given 8 top from one trip into 2-4 tops for the next sailing , that the same table # is not always going to yield the same exact location , but more likely to just be in the same area...?!

Cheers 

7 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

You realize with all the shuffling around ..., for example , turning any given 8 top from one trip into 2-4 tops for the next sailing , that the same table # is not always going to yield the same exact location , but more likely to just be in the same area...?!

Cheers 

Yes I do but I have had the same 2 table choices on the Mariner that have not changed since  before COVID.  These are tables for 2.  And a table on the Indy that has been the same and I have had several times since the restart

Edited by molly361

18 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

May I ask , when did you  last cruise  ?

Just got off Allure last Sunday.  I cruise every 4 to 7 weeks except June to August when the ships are overrun by children.

21 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

Just got off Allure last Sunday.  I cruise every 4 to 7 weeks except June to August when the ships are overrun by children.

First of all ....Jealous .

Secondly , I ask because since last fall I have had horrible results with any requests . 

B2B in Oct. and then again in Feb.  All 3 times I had confirmed early seating ahead of time ,(2 of the 3 I had a Email confirmation with my table number showing)< to show up and be told I had no seating and all and that I could do MTD. Eventually on all 3 I did finally get a table for most of the week , 2 were on second night . 

So very surprising when I hear the dining system is running 'smooth' for anyone 

21 hours ago, molly361 said:

Yes I do but I have had the same 2 table choices on the Mariner that have not changed since  before COVID.  These are tables for 2.  And a table on the Indy that has been the same and I have had several times since the restart

Interesting . With all the juggling I would think it would be much less common. 

Heck , I even notice the table #'s being juggled mid cruise as they shift to accommodate changes 

Cheers