AARP Rewards eGift Cards

bhawks9

On 10/7/2024 at 8:20 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I guess I'm guilty of *assuming* that everybody uses gift cards the way that I do...cruise fare only.  (I know...very short-sighted!) I have never tried to use them for anything other than paying off the cruise...so please forgive me for the viewpoint I was pushing.  From my point of view...they are all the same.

I've used them to pay for my cruises - including the EZ Air fare. I also put a $500 card down as OBC onboard. It was a "extra" card. I had planned to use part of it to pay off the last of a cruise but my TA said not to worry about it and paid the remaining balance so I just took the card with me when we sailed and "deposited" it at the Customer Service Desk.

On 10/7/2024 at 2:47 PM, pompeii said:

So regarding the Newegg gift cards...I had set an alert on the Newegg website to be notified when the price dropped to $460.  However I didn't get a notification for this promo, and I'm thinking it's because the price itself stayed at $500 with a $40 promo code so it didn't trigger the alert.  So I'm wondering how to be aware of these deals when they're offered, especially since they may last only one day.  Besides of course hoping someone on CC will mention it.🙂

I'm in the same boat. I "thought" I would get a notice but didn't get one. I'm guessing your explanation may well be correct as to why I didn't get a notice but then what is the dang point of being able to set the notice? I'm really annoyed by this as I have multiple cruises to pay for. Poop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm in the same boat. I "thought" I would get a notice but didn't get one. I'm guessing your explanation may well be correct as to why I didn't get a notice but then what is the dang point of being able to set the notice? I'm really annoyed by this as I have multiple cruises to pay for. Poop.

Sounds really quirky.  You probably would have gotten the notice if the actual price was 460 for the 500 card, but since it was a $40.00 promo code that needed to be utilized, since the price was technically still 500, you didn't get the notice.  Make sense?

On 10/7/2024 at 4:40 AM, dickinson said:

Newegg today has a sale for $40 off $500 gift card!!!  19 hours left.  Limit is 5 for the discount.  code is SSFTTDX739

How did you find out about the discount?  Any info on this would be great.

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

At the time, I read it on a F post so I posted here for others to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the sale promotion but I thought I had to sign up with Newegg.  Now I'm getting several emails a day about their merchandise.  I will try to opt out from the emails but am now counting on all of you to let us know about the promotions.

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

When I bought my card the promo code was shown on the first page for the card...but when I started the transaction I never had to enter a code, unless it somehow automatically populated and I did not notice (possible.)

5 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Just in case anybody monitoring this thread needs Carnival gift cards, I just received this email!

Screenshot_20241010_125110_Chrome.jpg

AARP has them available well over 90% of the time at 10% off and it's also available in other denominations besides 500.00. (100 & 1000)

29 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

AARP has them available well over 90% of the time at 10% off and it's also available in other denominations besides 500.00. (100 & 1000)

Certainly.  However, with the monthly limits AARP has, it's possible someone might need more, and this would be a good place to pick up what might be needed before the end of the month when the AARP limit resets.  I'm just trying to help.

2 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Certainly.  However, with the monthly limits AARP has, it's possible someone might need more, and this would be a good place to pick up what might be needed before the end of the month when the AARP limit resets.  I'm just trying to help.

Between the 5 that an individual can purchase and the 5 that their SO can purchase, that was 5000 worth of cards per month.  I say was of course since it's no longer an option.

This is a post on the AARP thread regarding the Princess gift cards.  The poster is a regular poster on the AARP threads.  For what it's worth, this is what he posted on AARP yesterday:

"Based on this thread, I reached out to Princess Cruise's President and Customer Relations people, and got a call back just this morning from the head office.  The woman I spoke to was just as surprised by this as I was, had reached out to various high up folks, and told me that this was AARP's decision, NOT A PRINCESS DECISION.   So someone is not telling the truth.  Don't know for sure which side, but she really, really was adamant that it was not a Princess decision..."

He also posted other locations to purchase discounted Princess cards.  I don't know anything about the person posting this, so take it all under advisement.  His other post follows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Again, this info is from an individual posting on an AARP thread.  I don't know how accurate it is:

"NewEgg, TopCashBack, Swagbucks, Mypoints, InboxDollars, Upromise and even Amazon all have offered discounts of various amounts on newly issued Princess gift cards.

NewEgg had $500 Carnival earlier today, but had Princess just last week.  They had $500, $200, and $100 Princess e-GCs recently.

A website topcashback offers 6.9% back on Princess gift cards every day.  Click on GiftCards on the top line menu and the shopping button, then search for Princess.  Never had a problem with them. They occasionally run bonuses of $3 extra or so, sometimes as much as $5 in addition to the 6.9%.   

A series of websites all owned by the same folks (Swagbucks, MyPoints, InboxDollars, and Upromise) all offer gift cards for sale.  But they only offer 5% back at the present time (I didn't check all, only one of them, but they generally offer the same)

Amazon offered a deal starting in the last day or two for $10 off if using your Discover card and rewards from your Discover card towards a $75 or more purchase.  Plus the Discover card itself is offering 5% rebate on up to $1500 in purchases at Amazon this quarter if you register.  The 5% bonus category spend as well as the $10 discount works on non-Amazon branded gift cards (in other words, any other gift card that Amazon sells directly).

Around Black Friday, I believe I've seen Princess themselves offer some sort of discount on gift cards.

So, there are actually many different ways of getting discounts on Princess gift cards, just not always as good or convenient as what AARP Rewards provided (at the height of the pandemic, AARP actually provided a 12% discount)."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I believe AARP would have been the one to discontinue the Princess Gift Cards not Princess. I say this because of all the problems AARP had loading the cards properly and the quantity of credit card disputes they had, 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

I believe AARP would have been the one to discontinue the Princess Gift Cards not Princess. I say this because of all the problems AARP had loading the cards properly and the quantity of credit card disputes they had, 

All this to save $40. I'll just use my Princess credit card and take whatever I get from them. The Celebrity credit card OBC is refundable if not used. Since I had booked all inclusive and pre paid gratuity and  my wife only spent $40 on board, the $260 unspent OBC was credited back to my card 2 days after disembarkation The credit paid for parking at port as well as what ever we spent on Key West.

Edited by Iamcruzin

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

All this to save $40. I'll just use my Princess credit card and take whatever I get from them. The Celebrity credit card OBC is refundable if not used. Since I had booked all inclusive and pre paid gratuity and  my wife only spent $40 on board, the $260 unspent OBC was credited back to my card 2 days after disembarkation The credit paid for parking at port as well as what ever we spent on Key West.

I saved $2,400 buying Princess gift cards according to AARP Rewards, just saying……

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

A website topcashback offers 6.9% back on Princess gift cards every day. 

Just looked up Princess cruise cards on Topcashback.  It was only 3.03%, which is a far cry from the 6.9% that this poster said was available every day.

1 hour ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Just looked up Princess cruise cards on Topcashback.  It was only 3.03%, which is a far cry from the 6.9% that this poster said was available every day.

One should be careful about criticizing as @Daniel A is always spot on with his posts. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bhawks9 said:

I saved $2,400 buying Princess gift cards according to AARP Rewards, just saying……

Count me in for $4900.00 saved. I had and used 4 accounts. Got cutdown to 2 once it became for Members Only, but so well worth it. Have $3800.00 in my bag to pay for Plus once aboard this next cruise. Hate giving up the discount program. Every survey AARP sends me, the only answer I give is bring back the Princess Cards!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Wasn't criticizing DanielA, was criticizing the poster from AARP he quoted that said 6.9% was the always available discount and I researched that it wasn't even close at 3.03%.

For what it's worth, I knew you weren't criticizing my post.  You were just taking the other persons quote from my earlier post and it appeared that you were referencing me, but I understood.  But anyway, thank you @Bgwest !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

It's showing 6.9% for me right now.

1 hour ago, JennKach said:

It's showing 6.9% for me right now.

Just went on their app.  3.03% in general search box.

In gift card area, it states 6.9% but when you further click on card amounts of 50.00, 100.00, 150.00 or other, the next page is not found.

If you're buying 4500 in cards to pay off a cruise, it's inconsiderate to have to rattle off 45 card numbers @100 each to your TA to redeem them.

Edited by Retired-N-Happy

1 hour ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Just went on their app.  3.03% in general search box.

In gift card area, it states 6.9% but when you further click on card amounts of 50.00, 100.00, 150.00 or other, the next page is not found.

If you're buying 4500 in cards to pay off a cruise, it's inconsiderate to have to rattle off 45 card numbers @100 each to your TA to redeem them.

Not if your TA wants their commission 🙂

• Haha 3