OLife moves to "all in"

WESTEAST

A lot to reply to here.

First: 30 years ago, I bought a struggling company and started the process of turning it into a very successful company that I sold 11 years later. Part of the turnaround process was indeed firing about 10% of my non margin or low margin customers for two consecutive years, and replacing them with higher margin customers. Regardless of business plan, there are always customers you are better off without, even if they are paying customers.

Itinerary, itinerary, itinerary. Sometimes Oceania has the best itinerary, other times they don’t. Today again, we talked to a couple that raved about a recent Hurtigen cruise they did. They weren’t raving about the food or incredible service, but about the exceptional itinerary and all the things they got to see and do which aren’t possible on lines like Oceania. The food was OK aboard ship, but they had ample opportunities to eat great meals ashore, so the ship’s food wasn’t the main event.

We took two food vacations last year. One to Charleston, SC, and the other to Portland, ME. If I go somewhere for the food, then we go for the food! Ships can’t touch the meals we had, nor do we expect them to. On a ship, the ports visited matters most. So PHDiva, do as we do, and search for the itinerary that excites you the most. You’ll then manage OK with the food.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Itinerary, itinerary, itinerary. Sometimes Oceania has the best itinerary, other times they don’t. Today again, we talked to a couple that raved about a recent Hurtigen cruise they did. They weren’t raving about the food or incredible service, but about the exceptional itinerary and all the things they got to see and do which aren’t possible on lines like Oceania. The food was OK aboard ship, but they had ample opportunities to eat great meals ashore, so the ship’s food wasn’t the main event.

We took two food vacations last year. One to Charleston, SC, and the other to Portland, ME. If I go somewhere for the food, then we go for the food! Ships can’t touch the meals we had, nor do we expect them to. On a ship, the ports visited matters most. So PHDiva, do as we do, and search for the itinerary that excites you the most. You’ll then manage OK with the food.

Good advice for this solo traveler as well. It does make things a bit more complicated not having a "go to" line, but I also enjoy the research process.

While I appreciate good food, I will always be itinerary-led. Being on a smaller ship is the "X factor" that's getting harder to manage.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

So PHDiva, do as we do, and search for the itinerary that excites you the most. You’ll then manage OK with the food.

Thx! I can always count on your posts to include lots of great advice!

2 hours ago, grifdoglover said:

@ORVHow are paying customers deadwood?  Never heard of a successful business pruning customers….

I believe Elbig, and Pinot covered the idea perfectly. 

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Thx! I can always count on your posts to include lots of great advice!

There are so many new cruise lines coming out in the next year and I bet many will have sales..just keep your eyes open...Lines you havent mentioned .Atlas, Scenic, Crystal, Azamara, Virgin RitzCarlton, MSC, Explora, Emerald and many more.

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Thank you for your response. I dislike Viking’s 1 year ahead final payment date, and I read many complaints about their food. Included shore excursions sounded mostly like bus rides. I hope I have been misinformed….

I don't believe you are misinformed, but just for more detail:

The 1-year (or occasionally more) PIF date is painful to say the least - but I've seen no signs of Viking moving to alter it. (Note that the cancellation penalty schedule is not aligned with PIF - it's much closer in to sailing and very similar to other lines). Because you can request  a 6-month PIF date if you have another cruise booked, some pax use a workaround - book something way out in time with a $25 deposit, then leverage small investment for a shorter PIF on the cruise you want. 

The included ShoreEx is typically a bus tour or a walking tour. In our experience, they are useful for pax who are unfamiliar with a port, want an overview and are not comfortable with something like a HoHo tour or going on their own. 

I don't have any experience with single supplements - Viking's published information is not helpful: "What is your single supplement? On occasion, Viking will make special solo traveler fares available". 

Food is a third rail of subjectivity. I don't go there. The only observation I'll make is that it's easy to find both lovers and haters for the food on any cruise line.

Pure opinion (free advice being worth what you pay for it ...) - both Viking and O have their pros and cons. We have sailed both and will do either again. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

There are so many new cruise lines coming out in the next year and I bet many will have sales..just keep your eyes open...Lines you havent mentioned .Atlas, Scenic, Crystal, Azamara, Virgin RitzCarlton, MSC, Explora, Emerald and many more.

Jancruz1

Thx Jancruz1! I made a note of these other names.

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Thx Jancruz1! I made a note of these other names.

Windstar is advertising some sailings with under $300/day single rooms (a lot more sailings at ~$400)...seems comparable in price to lower-prices O itins, and they have the two different types of ships (the yacht/non-sail ones hold about half the pax as O's small ships). The ones with sails may be cozier than some O pax like.

In about 2021 I compared different cruise lines in the premium and luxury categories (nothing larger the O's larger ships). At the time, O was clearly a potential winner over the luxury brands for our desires. Every time I've done a quick spot-check since then, O has been the better value for us. Given that we won't know for sure about the SimplyMore program until we see the legally binding info, what are the main differences between what the luxury brands offer and what O (theoretically) will offer? Ignore price since that is a complete unknown. It's been a while since I compared, and I'd like to hear from those who have recently traveled on both O and luxury brands and can provide differences that may or may not be in the advertising material.

32 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

In about 2021 I compared different cruise lines in the premium and luxury categories (nothing larger the O's larger ships). At the time, O was clearly a potential winner over the luxury brands for our desires. Every time I've done a quick spot-check since then, O has been the better value for us. Given that we won't know for sure about the SimplyMore program until we see the legally binding info, what are the main differences between what the luxury brands offer and what O (theoretically) will offer? Ignore price since that is a complete unknown. It's been a while since I compared, and I'd like to hear from those who have recently traveled on both O and luxury brands and can provide differences that may or may not be in the advertising material.

We sailed last September on Regatta, December on Silver Spirit and last month on the Riviera, so this is as close as it gets for comparing SS and O.

Service: comparable, excellent on both lines. We travelled 5 couples on SS, so sometimes service on dinners was a bit slow. Based on our experience, both would accommodate special requests.

Food: excellent on both, with very slight edge to O. SS has 8 restaurants, and you can have unlimited visits to both, based on availability. Two are extra charge ($40-60 per person).

Cabins: SS is a clear winner. Entry level cabins are over 300 sqft, with a curtain separating the sleep area and living area. Very convenient. Cabins on O class are very good too in OV level and above.

Entertainment and activities: mediocre on both, with slight edge to SS.

Excursions: SS is a clear winner.

Itineraries: SS is a winner, with longer stays in ports and more overnights.

Also, SS has a better space/passenger  and crew/passenger ratios. SS is much more formal (drawdown for us, but not a deal breaker). SS has unlimited black caviar anywhere anytime.

Overall I found the experience excellent on both. While O is 20-30% less, O would be a better value for us. But if prices become closer, we would prefer SS. We actually replaced our May 2023 booking on the Vista with Silver Spirit - better itinerary and the price was only 15% more with excursions and tips included (for people who drink also alcohol).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Ok, so some of us will potentially be exploring “ other options.” Any suggestions on which cruiselines are O’s nearest competitors? I also have to take into account single supplement pricing. Thx to all!

You might take a look at Azamara...they are having a sale right now on the "2nd" person which helps with a solo cruiser. Ends 6/30.

30 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We sailed last September on Regatta, December on Silver Spirit and last month on the Riviera, so this is as close as it gets for comparing SS and O.

Service: comparable, excellent on both lines. We travelled 5 couples on SS, so sometimes service on dinners was a bit slow. Based on our experience, both would accommodate special requests.

Food: excellent on both, with very slight edge to O. SS has 8 restaurants, and you can have unlimited visits to both, based on availability. Two are extra charge ($40-60 per person).

Cabins: SS is a clear winner. Entry level cabins are over 300 sqft, with a curtain separating the sleep area and living area. Very convenient. Cabins on O class are very good too in OV level and above.

Entertainment and activities: mediocre on both, with slight edge to SS.

Excursions: SS is a clear winner.

Itineraries: SS is a winner, with longer stays in ports and more overnights.

Also, SS has a better space/passenger  and crew/passenger ratios. SS is much more formal (drawdown for us, but not a deal breaker). SS has unlimited black caviar anywhere anytime.

Overall I found the experience excellent on both. While O is 20-30% less, O would be a better value for us. But if prices become closer, we would prefer SS. We actually replaced our May 2023 booking on the Vista with Silver Spirit - better itinerary and the price was only 15% more with excursions and tips included (for people who drink also alcohol).

Not sure about SS’s FF treatment but, remember that O Club members as low as Silver( get free gratuities too and will soon have an itinerary dependent credit for excursions. Of course, O also includes air or air credit. 

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

155  is over 10  🤔

I think the point is that the link is not taking users to a site that only lists the Cruises with a low single supplement. It is not excluding all other cruises with a higher supplement.

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not sure about SS’s FF treatment but, remember that O Club members as low as Silver( get free gratuities too and will soon have an itinerary dependent credit for excursions. Of course, O also includes air or air credit. 

Here is SS loyalty program:

https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/venetian-society.html

Discounts for future sailings and free cruises as well. They go by days, which I think is more fair (on O your credit jumps to 2 only sailing longer than 25 days. So if your average cruise is for example 20 nights, you get to next level after 100 days, same as SS, but with SS you get an extra 5% discount after 100 days, in addition to all other promotions. Plus a free cruise after 350 days. So it really depends on your sailing habits.

SS also includes air or air credit, and their business class air upgrades are very good (unlike O).

4 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I think the point is that the link is not taking users to a site that only lists the Cruises with a low single supplement. It is not excluding all other cruises with a higher supplement.

It does actually - 151 sailings with single supplement.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

ak104 just clarified that all of those have a single supplement rate!! 

Edited by LuAnn

58 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

The link goes to the sailings with the  25 % single supplement

56 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Plus a free cruise after 350 days. So it really depends on your sailing habits.

You can get a free cruise on O   in  133 days if you take a bunch of shorter cruises

😉

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

They go by days, which I think is more fair (on O your credit jumps to 2 only sailing longer than 25 days. So

It’s about time that Oceania converts to giving loyalty credits by days sailed, rather than the present plan. Most other lines I believe have done that.  

• Like 5

Isn't the bottom line that corporations make changes to improve competitiveness  with the intent of increasing the number of its clients, improving profits, and enhancing return on investments?  In doing so they are aware they will lose some of its current passenger base, but are betting that the changes will more than compensate for that with increased bookings from a different demographic.  It's  called a business plan.

Only the future will tell if they win or lose the bet.

Will O change their loyalty program?  I hope not.  Between O club, shareholder and premier, It is $700 OBC and prepaid gratuities. That equates to the sailings being all inclusive aside from shore excursions which I always do private anyway.

I hope if O adds shore ex credit, they will start offering small group (8 or less) excursions with more flexibility to appeal to a wider ranger of people.  

Spending a day in port on a bus tour with 30 or so people makes it almost impossible to have any sort of a personalized or immersive experience.

Otherwise the shore ex credit is useless.

• Like 4

Currently, O’s shortest cruises are 7 days, which earn 1 credit each. Twenty of them (i.e., 140 nights) would get you a 2 week cruise anywhere O goes. That would translate to 50 one week cruises on SS for a complimentary one. So, in that scenario (350 days using short cruises), you’d be getting 2 cruises on O compared to one on SS.

No other cruise line that I’ve found comes close to O’s O Club benefits.

6A0EC415-5C74-465E-A00D-3BA170F4C0C6.png

• Like 5