Sailing to see Santa (almost) —- Jewel of the Seas Arctic Circle voyage - June 17, 2023

23 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have to say Mac’s photos have peaked my interest in going. Have watched many travel vlogs on Norway it has peaked my interest even further. 

Join us next year on Jewel on July 5, 2024 out of Amsterdam. Great 13 night itinerary. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, timxrx said:

Join us next year on Jewel on July 5, 2024 out of Amsterdam. Great 13 night itinerary. 

@A&L_Ont Second that, Andrew. The best itinerary ever --

13 Days Scandinavia & Fjords

Royal Caribbean Int. • Jewel of the Seas

Amsterdam, Geiranger, Molde, Honningsvag, Tromso, Arctic Circle, Flaam, Alesund, Olden, Bergen, Amsterdam

Beside, Helen and Marty are booked too 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timxrx said:

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@A&L_Ont Second that, Andrew. The best itinerary ever --

13 Days Scandinavia & Fjords

Royal Caribbean Int. • Jewel of the Seas

Amsterdam, Geiranger, Molde, Honningsvag, Tromso, Arctic Circle, Flaam, Alesund, Olden, Bergen, Amsterdam

Beside, Helen and Marty are booked too 😉

Are you buying?  🙂

$4025pp for ocean view guarantee

$5725pp for balcony guarantee

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Are you buying?  🙂

$4025pp for ocean view guarantee

$5725pp for balcony guarantee

Found some better prices for you on a site other than Royal.

Interior 4V - $1151 

Oceanview 4N - $1376

Oceanview Balcony 4D - $1880

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bunzini said:

Will the Jewel sail there in 2025?  And do they only sail there in July?  Would love something later in the summer or early fall.

Don't know yet. Presumably Jewel or a sister ship would. A large part of it at this point is when the regulatory changes will be made that will more or less ban most cruise ships from some/all of the fjords.

But typically, RC has been running the Arctic Circle May through August . 

I believe Anthem out of Southampton, which just does the lower parts of Norway and the larger ports, also does roughly May through August.

Not too much before or after those dates, and I suppose daylight hours dwindle quickly.

4 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

A large part of it at this point is when the regulatory changes will be made that will more or less ban most cruise ships from some/all of the fjords.

From what I've been able to gather it's just the Unesco heritage fjords that will ban ships that aren't carbon neutral.

This would hopefully only affect stops in Flåm, Geringer, and Olden. 

Hopefully Arctic Circle cruises will continue and just stay on some of the outer ports like Bergan, Stavanger, Ålsund, Molde, Tromsø, and Honningsvåg. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

From what I've been able to gather it's just the Unesco heritage fjords that will ban ships that aren't carbon neutral.

Hopefully Arctic Circle cruises will continue and just stay on some of the outer ports like Bergan, Stavanger, Ålsund, Molde, Tromsø, and Honningsvåg. 

That would make sense, but still highly disappointing for anyone that has not done Norway yet. Flam and/or Geringer are the epitome of what people expect for a Norwegian Fjord. Ours only did Flam, but I remember reading how those 2 seem to have a friendly rivalry as to who has the best fjord. 

But yeah, if it's just those, then I would agree that the Arctic Circle cruises will likely continue without them. Still a good reason to get in before the ban.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Those are the big ones. It be a vastly different cruise and experience without them. It’s why we took this journey. 

mac_tlc

• Like 3

Yesterday was a lazy sea day, No magnificent fjords, quaint villages along the shores, or majestic photographic opportunities. It was another blue sky day:

IMG_4109.jpeg

I guess I’ll take this time to hit on a few common CC topics and how they applied to this voyage and a few other general musings. 

1) Cabin - We had an aft balcony on deck 7. Gerald our attendant is great and personable. Only retraction is it is directly above the Safari Club so if the music is playing late, you can hear the bass. I would move up a deck if possible but would definitely book this cabin again to get the aft. 

2) New Royal MDR menus — This was our first opportunity to try them. Overall reaction? Meh …….  Definitely fewer options, a lot of “cottage pie/ Shepards pie” options. Some options lacked flavor. We love French onion soup and I thought I would be disappointed it was not available every night. It wasn’t anywhere near as good as it used to be. Broth lacked bold flavor. Some nights it wasn’t hot enough. Overall they have cheapened the ingredients which cheapens the product. MDR is not what it used to be.

3)MDR dress code — Seems like it’s whatever you decide it should be. The “shorts” battle has been lost long ago. There were numerous T shirt and baseball cap wearers, who never took the hat off … ever… 

As I stated earlier, the ambiance and experience is not what it used to be.

4)!Chair hogs — It was an Arctic cruise so not an issue but….. they were replaced with table hogs, especially in Solarium. Playing cards, dominos, etc. They set up camp early ! 

5)Ship— Jewel is a great size ship especially for this itinerary. She is in need of some upkeep and modernization. Looks very dated in furniture and common areas. Cabin showing its age. I don’t think they knew what USB stood for when they built it. I will be honest, our last couple cruises have been on Celebrity Beyond so….

6) Windjammer - Have I said I am not a fan? More times than I can count they had no mugs at any of the four coffee stations. The rear ones ran out of coffee a few times too. Tables are inadequate, sometimes took two or three laps around with my wife in a wheelchair to find a spot. We do avoid the venue as much as possible but there are few other options, especially once the MDR closes (9:30 for breakfast, 1:30 for lunch). Newer ships win big in this category. Food itself was OK and it was crowded, but where else can people go?

Today we arrive in Amsterdam, alongside by 4, and depart tomorrow. Can’t believe it’s almost over😞😞. Memorable doesn’t begin to describe it. It has been fun to document for all the CC followers! 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 8

We are almost to Amsterdam:

Oh, those pesky locks!

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4123.jpeg

A few more general musings:

1) Internet - It started out great! Solid connections, decent speed. All to way to Honningsvag and to start the southern return. Then it began to suck. Constant disconnection, trouble getting internet connection. Today is the last day and it always sucks that day, with more users dealing with flights and such.

2) More food — Anything from the bakery has been very good. Rolls, danish, pastry, breads. Even some of the desserts have been better than previous. 

3) Once a day room cleaning - Nope. And before people say “do you  clean your towels twice a day at home”?  , I’m not at home —- and paid not to be at home. That analogy is frivolous. You end up doing more minor stuff yourself. This room has scant counter space. If you get a breakfast room service tray, you are fighting with it all day for the table space. Sure, just put it outside—-, you never had to push a wheelchair down the hallway and try to dodge trays and cups and glasses and plates. One very small garbage can in the room and a smaller one in the bathroom. Fills quickly. 

Our stateroom attendant has 25 rooms ——. They clearly did this solely to cut costs. 

None of these will stop our cruising days, but the value and experience are lessened. Thankfully, we had this to look at:

IMG_3401.jpeg

IMG_3912.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 5

I'm also on the July 5, 2024 Arctic circle cruise on Jewel.  Seeing your comments and pictures has made me excited - I can wait, but it's going to be tough.

I had read about the ban on cruise ships entering the Unesco fjords - that's why I'm doing this one in 2024.  Hawaii (my last state) can wait.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Olden is not affected, Nordfjord is not Unesco heritage.I believe most ships will use Olden, Nordfjordeid and Hellesylt and offer bus tour to Geiranger. Flam is also not Unsesco heritage (only Narroyfjord is) but they set similar environmental rules and I trust others will follow. I assume Royal will have no ship left that remains suitable for this itineraries…

Edited by Saab4444
  • Thanks 1

@mac_tlc  Thank you for an enjoyable live review of your Norwegian adventure on Jewel.  Appreciated your tidbits and advice on excursions and sights along the way. 

We just booked the similar Jewel Arctic Circle sailing for next July 2024.  Looking forward now to seeing Norway which we will miss on this year's Jewel transarctic sailing which goes to Iceland, Greenland & Nova Scotia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well we are sitting at Schipol waiting to check in our luggage for the journey back to Newark, NJ. It is going to be a long day, probably close to 22 hours ship to door. 

Flight to Newark through Iceland, then grab a rental for the drive to CT. Hopefully we will pull in by 11pm EDT. 

A remarkable journey, but I know the withdrawal will be severe, especially since we don’t know if we will ever be back —- don’t have those feelings on any Caribbean voyage, it’s easy to go back.

Spent most of yesterday being pi$$ed off at Celebrity for shafting us on our now-cancelled Beyond TA for 11/1/24. No price protection and the only similar ship offer would be $4K for for one less day. For those not following that debacle, they cancelled the entire 2024 European season to keep Beyond in the Caribbean. I could go on, and have on other posts, but won’t here. This is about the wonders of Norway and why everyone should go before the ship restrictions potentially limit access to some of the most beautiful places on the planet! 

Thanks for following along! Hopefully I have boosted tourism $$ for @Norwaylady ‘s country!😂😂

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for taking everyone along your journey @mac_tlc🇳🇴❤️

You have delivered a perfect sale pitch of why a Norway cruise is worth the $$$. 
I can give you many more reasons! 

If you want more teasers, feel free to follow: 

https://instagram.com/al_be_ra_bo?igshid=MjEwN2IyYWYwYw==

It’s in private settings. (So tired of light dressed ladies adding me) 

Just send a message: hey from Cc

I’m posting from my travel in Norway and abroad. 

We don’t have holidays during the summer. (We normally travel in the spring or autumn….) But I had a crush of 🇳🇴🇳🇴 I love my country 😂😂 

So I booked 2 weekend trips to Bergen😂😂😂 The only two weekends Mr is not on technical duty 24/7 home🤓🙃

Just need to get some fjords air🤩 So next weekend I’m off by Mr and another adventure in August. (Who says I don’t do travel and holidays in my own country😅) I have a part of me from Boge, close to Bergen. So I always feel home in Bergen region🥰 (I can’t help it) 

We will do Baroniet in Rosendal, Old travel style Bergen (steam train, ferry and bus) and my favourite, take the fast passenger ferry to Flåm (it travel all The way in Sognefjorden and call at differensiert stops) and The train back to Bergen. And I will do my morning trip up to Fløyen if it’s not pouring down💪🏻

I really feel you for Beyond😔 It’s really a 🤯🤬 deal from X. 
Fingers crossed you find a solution you can accept and enjoy❤️

Safe travel’s home❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Mac, thanks for bringing us along on your adventure.  

Thanks Andrew, it was great to have you along for the virtual cruise ! 

mac_tlc

• Like 1