Sailing to see Santa (almost) —- Jewel of the Seas Arctic Circle voyage - June 17, 2023

8 minutes ago, little britain said:

@mac_tlc how much did that beer cost lol 😆 

I think it was 110 NOK which is around $12USD or about 11 euros. 😜

I was expecting it to be more from what I had heard. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

Obligatory Crown and Anchor Stats for this sailing:

IMG_3428.jpeg

No mention or distribution of any 25th anniversary trinkets. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Was the total sailing announced?

I rarely hear them announce total passenger count at the top tier, I wish they would. I like to see the % of total passengers who are part of C&A. 

To make an educated guess, Jewel capacity is often listed as 2,110 (Double occupancy), and ships are sailing close to capacity.  

M

57 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I rarely hear them announce total passenger count at the top tier, I wish they would.

Biker has been known to corner the LA at the conclusion of those events to get that number.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Biker has been known to corner the LA at the conclusion of those events to get that number.

The whole event was maybe 17 minutes. Seemed in a hurry to get to the Blue Nose Ceremony.

I'll get the number at some point. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michst8alum said:

The blue nose ceremony, do you have to dunk yourself in ice water?  I saw that they did that on another cruise line? Love the Arctic Circle line on the map! 

Thankfully no. 

They had some crew members symbolically jump into the “frigid” pool ( which is heated) and then asked for more volunteers to make the sacrifice to insure safe passage .

The captain and another officer were painting noses while the cruise director poured a little cold over on people. It was a lot of fun. And unique. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3

Peaceful sea day today sailing the North Sea and the Norwegian Sea. Weather has been phenomenal. And the North Sea, known for sending wary sailors to their watery doom, well :

IMG_3447.jpeg

A few more shots taken after dinner tonight. Darkness has taken a hiatus —- see you in a few days!

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 7

Good morning! Ship time is 8:30am . Here is where we are. If the earth is flat, we will be falling off soon 😜😜.

IMG_3459.png

IMG_3460.png

We pick up the pilot around 12:20pm and should be alongside in Honninsvag about 2pm. 

Today we have our excursion to the North Cape with Blue Puffin Tours at 3:30. I think it’s about 3.5 hours or so. Should be a good weather day. No rain and highs in the 50s. 

We stay overnight in Honninsvag and depart tomorrow , 6/22, at 4pm. No sunrise or sunset today or tomorrow —- or in fact until August for this part of the world. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6

Enjoy your stay in Honningsvåg!

When you walk the streets of Honningsvåg, you are walking in the streets of Mr Norwaylady🙃 He grew up in one of the houses next to the "hospital/elderly home/emergency central" (you know, everything is smashed together.... no need for large facilities) But I promise you, if you need emergency help, the helicopter or ambulanse aircraft is ready asap🚨 And you will be at at a large hospital in no time🙃 (the reason they lived next to the hospital was that my mother in-law was working as a nurse there)

And my father in-law worked as a teacher at the school in Kamøyvær. (you will probably drive by) 

Fingers crossed for decent weather and not to much ocean fog. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

Enjoy your stay in Honningsvåg!

When you walk the streets of Honningsvåg, you are walking in the streets of Mr Norwaylady🙃 He grew up in one of the houses next to the "hospital/elderly home/emergency central" (you know, everything is smashed together.... no need for large facilities) But I promise you, if you need emergency help, the helicopter or ambulanse aircraft is ready asap🚨 And you will be at at a large hospital in no time🙃 (the reason they lived next to the hospital was that my mother in-law was working as a nurse there)

And my father in-law worked as a teacher at the school in Kamøyvær. (you will probably drive by) 

Fingers crossed for decent weather and not to much ocean fog. 

Thanks! That is awesome ! 

Supposedly the weather will be good, low 50s F, no rain. I’ll be on the lookout for MrNorwayLady’s former home!

mac_tlc

• Like 1

So, my wife always gets her nails done just before we leave on any vacation and often tries to match the theme. She did good this time! Made sure to get the flag in the background. 

IMG_0919.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

Approaching Honningvag and I think I found the Island of Misfit Toys !!!!!

IMG_3467.jpeg

Pilot has just joined us onboard. Spotted two whales off the starboard side:

IMG_3484.jpeg

IMG_3488.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 11