Do kids get the same level of crown and anchor as parents?

1 minute ago, mattR said:

My kids are sailing with us next week but they are showing lower C&A level then us. 

Call RCI and request that your accounts be linked. Everyone will be elevated to the highest person's tier.

• Like 1

They are 25 and 20 now but we cruised with them on RCCL when they were under 18 and they have cruised with us each time since.  To late to get them linked? 

Edited by mattR
  • Haha 1

They accumulated your points until they turned 18. For example, if you had 50 points when they turned 18, that would be their starting point. If they earned 25 points since turning 18, their current total should be 75.

5 minutes ago, mets123 said:

They accumulated your points until they turned 18. For example, if you had 50 points when they turned 18, that would be their starting point. If they earned 25 points since turning 18, their current total should be 75.

No, they accumulated their own points when they sailed.  They inherited the parent's status (not points) until age 18 ... if they were linked.  Once they turn 18, they keep their points and inherited status.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mattR said:

They are 25 and 20 now but we cruised with them on RCCL when they were under 18 and they have cruised with us each time since.  To late to get them linked? 

Same here, except our sons are a little older and only cruise with us occasionally. Two more family cruises and they both will be diamond. The exciting part is that my two year old grandson will get his Dad's status;)

On 6/21/2023 at 7:09 PM, Another_Critic said:

No, they accumulated their own points when they sailed.  They inherited the parent's status (not points) until age 18 ... if they were linked.  Once they turn 18, they keep their points and inherited status.

Got ahold of C&A or Loyalty today was able to get my daughters points added asked about her status being the same as mine and they said that once they turn 18 they go to whatever status they have for points themselves.  Sounds like this is incorrect and she should be at her points but my status correct?  Not that it really matters as I am Platinum and she is Gold no real difference in benefits. 

7 minutes ago, mattR said:

Got ahold of C&A or Loyalty today was able to get my daughters points added asked about her status being the same as mine and they said that once they turn 18 they go to whatever status they have for points themselves.  Sounds like this is incorrect and she should be at her points but my status correct?  Not that it really matters as I am Platinum and she is Gold no real difference in benefits. 

Once they turn 18 they are hesitant to retroactively make changes to status.  Be glad you achieved what you did, my "kids" are getting to Diamond purely on their own despite me being Pinnacle.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mattR said:

Yeah.  Pretty much a meaningless difference I think.  What should have happened is she shared your status (until she was 18).  So if your were gold at that point, they have it right (even though the agent gave you the wrong logic).  

On 6/21/2023 at 9:09 PM, Another_Critic said:

The thing I always wonder is if a kid goes with parents once only (at say 1 year old) and never cruises again, they get the status of their parent (say the parents become D+ 15 yeas later) regardless?   In other words, you never have to cruise with them later as they elevate in status to get that higher status?   Such an odd way to do it if so.  

I used to think a kid had to cruise with their parents to assume their status, but I think I was wrong. It seems a child’s status could go up as the parents elevate in status, even if they don’t ever cruise again.  Then when they hit 18, that status becomes locked in.  

5 hours ago, topnole said:

The thing I always wonder is if a kid goes with parents once only (at say 1 year old) and never cruises again, they get the status of their parent (say the parents become D+ 15 yeas later) regardless?   In other words, you never have to cruise with them later as they elevate in status to get that higher status?   Such an odd way to do it if so.  

I used to think a kid had to cruise with their parents to assume their status, but I think I was wrong. It seems a child’s status could go up as the parents elevate in status, even if they don’t ever cruise again.  Then when they hit 18, that status becomes locked in.  

Correct. So the kid with one 7n cruise as a 1 year old will inherit their parents D+ status until 18.  After then, they have D+ status when they board but only have 7 points in their own right.  Then they marry and their spouse becomes D+ too…. and their kids…. 
This is where the system is so flawed. Should be like MSC whereby if you don’t cruise in 3 years you lose your status ( membership expires totally) 

55 minutes ago, little britain said:

This is where the system is so flawed. Should be like MSC whereby if you don’t cruise in 3 years you lose your status ( membership expires totally) 

Even a step back would be an improvement. Loyalty infers frequent use. It’s not uncommon to see people post on CC that they’re diamond or diamond plus but haven’t been on board in several years and they’re asking what’s changed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Billy Baltic said:

Even a step back would be an improvement. Loyalty infers frequent use. It’s not uncommon to see people post on CC that they’re diamond or diamond plus but haven’t been on board in several years and they’re asking what’s changed. 

I don’t think RCI IT could cope with knocking everyone back a tier!!! But agree; something should be done to make loyalty mean loyalty 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Correct. So the kid with one 7n cruise as a 1 year old will inherit their parents D+ status until 18.  After then, they have D+ status when they board but only have 7 points in their own right.  Then they marry and their spouse becomes D+ too…. and their kids…. 

And even if the kids parents were gold

when the kid did their one and only cruise? So they keep getting elevated until 18 even if they never cruise again?   That’s what always confuses me.  You’d think they would only get the status they had on their last cruise with Royal.  In other words, to get D, you’d have to go on a cruise with parents when they were D.  

Children don’t get the points, they just get the status. And once they reach 18 and keep the status, they still only have their points. So they might be D or  D+ with seven points.

Then as pointed out, their  new spouse becomes diamond/diamond plus as well, and then so do their children. 

So you now  have a family receiving D/D plus benefits for their entire life after perhaps being on one cruise. And,  of course, that long as the system doesn’t change, that process gets passed down.   Crazy!  

I don’t blame anyone for having the system work for them, I blame the system.  Those who actually cruised and reached the category have benefits watered down or reduced because there are simply  too many people who perhaps took one cruise, but are eligible for the benefits. 

i’m not sure that Royal Caribbean will ever do anything, why should they? Seems that having a vibrant loyalty program is the dream of most companies.  
m

I've posted similar sentiments in other threads previously.

I am in complete agreement that a family traveling together should be able to have the same C&A status, but that status should not be permanent and indefinitely transferable. I believe that if you are cruising without the person you were linked to for a higher status, you should sail with your own earned status.

In a previous thread, I floated the idea that status' are not permanently transferred, but rather, your family shares the status of the highest status of the group for that cruise. Of course, there's issues with this, such as what constitutes a "family".

As is, as long as a parent (let's say 'A') becomes D+ prior to a child ('B') reaching the age of 18. That child and every descendant of that child will forever be D+, even their very first cruise. It's like a trust fund. 

But it even goes further. If that child gets married, their spouse ('C') will be D+ (already stated). B & C go on 1 cruise, C is D+, and then they get divorced. C marries D. They go on a cruise. D is now D+. They have a kid 'E', that kid is D+. At this point, there is zero connection to the original D+ member 'A'. But E's entire descendant tree will also be D+, same as 'B' and all their descendants.

And, primarily because of changes made to accommodate same sex couples prior to legalizing same sex weddings, you don't actually have to be married, you only have to be "in a relationship", and live at the same address (or at least claim to or register the same address with RCI). So, in theory, someone could serially link to people on a temporary basis for the purposes of transferring their status. You can only link to 1 person at a time, but no one's ever said there is a limit to how many times or how often you change who you are linked to.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:09 PM, Another_Critic said:

Took our 7YO GS on his first cruise shortly after we became Pinnacle (long story, but we are his legal co-guardians), and his Sea Pass card indicated that he was D+. It will be interesting to see what happens when he turns 18😇

47 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Took our 7YO GS on his first cruise shortly after we became Pinnacle (long story, but we are his legal co-guardians), and his Sea Pass card indicated that he was D+. It will be interesting to see what happens when he turns 18😇

He will still be D+ with the points accrued for that cruise. If they don’t change the rules. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 9:36 PM, mattR said:

Got ahold of C&A or Loyalty today was able to get my daughters points added asked about her status being the same as mine and they said that once they turn 18 they go to whatever status they have for points themselves.  

This is different than the previous policy that everyone is quoting and I have seen this in other post recently. I think Royal Caribbean is changing their policy.

If a parent has 100 points and a child has 70 points when they turn 18, previously they would be Diamond with 70 points, but according to this they revert back to Emerald when they turn 18.

I have been reading of both scenarios (keep their status or lose their status) so I don't know what the actual truth is at the moment.  In the olden days, the policy was that you shared status but not points...and your status remained at whatever level it was when they turned 18, regardless of how many points they had (or didn't have).  They were never reverted back to the status that reflected their number of points.  I have read many accounts recently of children's status being reverted back to reflect their actual points.  Not sure if the policy has changed (without informing anyone, BTW) or if there are just some ill-informed LA that are doing it wrong.