How to survive if you fall off a Carnival cruise ship

Eli_6

How to survive if you fall off a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean, according to a survival expert (msn.com)

Since this seems to be a particular problem with Carnival ships, thought I would share:

1. Don't panic.  Try not to take in water into your lungs by gasping when you first hit the water.

2. Try to find anything that floats to hold on to.  

3. Try to find something to make a signal so you are more visible to rescuers. Like arranging a bunch of trash around you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Since this seems to be a particular problem with Carnival ships

Most recent one in the news was Royal Caribbean, IIRC.

Because Carnival has the biggest fleet, it is statistically very likely that it is going to get the most incidents.

But yeah, no-one just "falls" off a ship (except the possibility of crew working the outside of the hull) - it is either through purposeful intent (suicide), stupidity, or violence.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Make sure to scream very loudly on the way down so people know you are falling off.  Provided you are still conscious after hitting the water, try to stay calm, relax and float.  Do not try to swim. Not to mention when taking your selfie it will be best to add a flotation device to the pic if possible...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

I hate how the media scares the general public into thinking that you can just “fall” off the ship through no fault of your own. If you fall off you either did something to deserve it, or you were murdered. 

So annoying! I actually have a couple of coworkers that refuse to cruise because of hearing about how people just "fall off".

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, NewCruiser09/09 said:

Make sure to scream very loudly on the way down so people know you are falling off.  Provided you are still conscious after hitting the water, try to stay calm, relax and float.  Do not try to swim. Not to mention when taking your selfie it will be best to add a flotation device to the pic if possible...

Yep... the 1st step is to actually survive the fall.  Falls from the upper deck I would say you are somewhere in the neighborhood of 80' or more from the water.  From that height, unless you hit the water just right, you are going to be injured or worse.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This makes it sound like you're jumping into a pool and there's a bunch of floaties everywhere. When you're drunk and jump in at night, none of this applies. 

Exactly. If you "fall off" a cruise ship you were either drunk or trying to hurt yourself. Either way, you won't have a sharp enough mind/survival instinct to keep "tips" in mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

I've tried...I've tried!

I've even had my wife help, by pushing from behind

but dammit those 44 inch high rails are tough to get over, man!

Anyone else ever tried? and failed? lol

Have her give you a leg up...like mounting a horse.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

How to survive if you fall off a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean, according to a survival expert (msn.com)

Since this seems to be a particular problem with Carnival ships, thought I would share:

1. Don't panic.  Try not to take in water into your lungs by gasping when you first hit the water.

2. Try to find anything that floats to hold on to.  

3. Try to find something to make a signal so you are more visible to rescuers. Like arranging a bunch of trash around you.

4. Don't fall off the cruise ship. Disregard 1, 2 and 3...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

quick question....  if one was to fall off and it was a witnessed event.

approx how long does it take to  1. either stop the ship and turn around   2. launch a rescue/crew vehicle.

my heart broke for that teenager who jumped on a dare but he was lost immediately?

54 minutes ago, cxr133 said:

quick question....  if one was to fall off and it was a witnessed event.

approx how long does it take to  1. either stop the ship and turn around   2. launch a rescue/crew vehicle.

my heart broke for that teenager who jumped on a dare but he was lost immediately?

Yeah, lost immediately, once you fall off a ship, you and the ship separate quickly due to current. It takes a today's cruise ship 10 nautical miles to do a complete turnaround. My heart does not break for any idiot who jumps off a cruise ship and if it is suicide it is a selfish way to go as you endanger many others lives who attempt to save the one you no longer want.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2