Question about waiting to purchase Princess Plus onboard

palolake

We are debating on waiting to purchase Princess Plus to when we get onboard.  Our trip insurance would be less if we did that.  I know that you can do that but I'm wondering 1) If it will include drinks, wifi and tips just like precruise and 2) will it cost the exact same amount.  I haven't been able to get a response from anyone who has actually done it.  Not just a guess.  TIA

1 hour ago, palolake said:

We are debating on waiting to purchase Princess Plus to when we get onboard.  Our trip insurance would be less if we did that.  I know that you can do that but I'm wondering 1) If it will include drinks, wifi and tips just like precruise and 2) will it cost the exact same amount.  I haven't been able to get a response from anyone who has actually done it.  Not just a guess.  TIA

From Princess.com FAQ #8.

8. Can I purchase Princess Plus or Princess Premier when I’m on board?
Yes. Princess Plus and Princess Premier will be available to purchase on board beginning with voyages sailing 2/20/23 and beyond. You may purchase or upgrade a package on the first day of your voyage.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

Make sure you specify you want the “plus cruise package” (drinks, tips, wifi) and not the “plus beverage package” .  It is the same amount on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We purchased the Princess Plus package on the first day of our California Coastal cruise on the Emerald Princess in May 2023. We purchased it from one of the crew while enjoying a slice of pizza on the deck. It was the same price as purchasing pre cruise - $60 per person per day. It instantly activated and included all of the benefits.  We were given a flyer with all the benefits listed. For us, there was no difference purchasing pre cruise vs onboard.  The crew member was stocked with flyers and proactively told us about it when we ordered drinks from him and he saw we didn’t have a package. 

Forgot to mention that you have to buy it the first day.   After that it is no longer available.  

Edited by southwestgal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Why would having it or not having the package effect the insurance?

If you buy it pre-cruise, it increases the cost of the cruise and thus, Princess insurance. If you buy 3rd party insurance and don't include it in 3rd party insurance costs, and cancel your cruise - you won't be fully reimbursed.

• Like 2

I purchased it the first day on the cruise. It was $60 per day ($660 for 11 nights) and I got a $10 credit for some reason. I used OBC to purchase it. I had all the benefits if I had purchased it before the cruise. It was cheaper to buy it on the ship because it didn't increase insurance costs and I could use OBC. This was in May.

image.thumb.jpeg.96bb1babde6c007695610df7e997d4a4.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That is the difference between UK and US insurance. In the UK you buy a policy with an upper limit, say £3,000, so it does not matter whether the package is included or not - just as long as it does not go over the limit.

I can understand buying when onboard if you have enough OBC to cover the cost.

17 minutes ago, david63 said:

That is the difference between UK and US insurance. In the UK you buy a policy with an upper limit, say £3,000, so it does not matter whether the package is included or not - just as long as it does not go over the limit.

I can understand buying when onboard if you have enough OBC to cover the cost.

In the US - most policies are a percentage of the cost of the trip. So you need a dollar value and they calculate insurance based on that.

52 minutes ago, palolake said:

Thank you so much everyone!!  It's going to save almost $200 on insurance on a 32 day cruise

You are also foregoing the included free shipment of your Medallions at $10/ea if Plus is pre-purchased. You may prefer, as we do, to pick your Medallion at the pier. But for a couple, the charge without Plus is $20. Yes, a small amount, but if you going to run the numbers, it figures in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palolake said:

Thank you so much everyone!!  It's going to save almost $200 on insurance on a 32 day cruise

The only risk, albeit small one, is if the package price increases before you sail.  I see that another cruise line, I believe it wasCelebrity, just announced they are raising the gratuities.  In my experience, one line starts it and the rest follow.   
But, we’ve purchased it onboard and it’s been super simple and you can use your OBC.  Crew members get credit if they sell you the package or the upgrade to premier.  So, while it’s really easy to do on the app, it’s nice to give credit to one of the crew members instead. It helps them out and won’t cost you anything.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

You are also foregoing the included free shipment of your Medallions at $10/ea if Plus is pre-purchased. You may prefer, as we do, to pick your Medallion at the pier. But for a couple, the charge without Plus is $20. Yes, a small amount, but if you going to run the numbers, it figures in.

I picked up my medallions at the pier. It took 2 seconds. Also, someone mentioned the $10 credit I got on the ship was to reimburse me if I had the medallion shipped. I did not but I did get a $10 credit and it was attributed to "plus package".

34 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

We too purchased “Plus” on first day of cruise two weeks ago on the Emerald. The main advantage to this is that we were able to use our generous OBC to reduce the total cost.

Re: $10. charge to mail Medallions, we did not have the Plus package (before boarding) but elected to have Medallions mailed. There was just the $10. charge for mailing our two in the same box. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

we pay 8% of cruise fare (including PLUS) for the Princess/AON insurance.

I do not pay anything like that amount for an annual travel policy that allows me to have as many cruises a year as I want

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, david63 said:

I do not pay anything like that amount for an annual travel policy that allows me to have as many cruises a year as I want

While there are annual travel policies in the US - they are not like the ones you have in Europe.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, david63 said:

does it include CFAR (cancel for any reason)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david63 said:

Not necessarily. Currently in the UK there is an offer with 50% off the Plus package which I doubt will apply when onboard.

Are you saying the amount you pay for the package is 50%  or half price?  Or are you saving 50% on the items in the package as opposed to not buying the package?

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

We get Princess Platinum (at the regular insurance price) and that covers Cancel of Any reason and of course medical and evacuation, etc.  Since that only covers $50,000 for medical we also purchase an annual plan that covers more since Medicare does not cover us out of the country and it's good for all trips (not just cruises) that we take for a year.   

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, suzyed said:

We get Princess Platinum (at the regular insurance price) and that covers Cancel of Any reason and of course medical and evacuation, etc.  Since that only covers $50,000 for medical we also purchase an annual plan that covers more since Medicare does not cover us out of the country and it's good for all trips (not just cruises) that we take for a year.   

I 'think' we may have discussed this before ... as our Medicare Advantage Plan "did" cover my medical expenses when I passed out on the REGAL while in Grand Turk - AON picked up the deductibles for my aftercare with my cardiologist and emergency department (couldn't get in to see my 'primary' - imagine that - )  my total out of pocket expenses was the cost of the insurance and the $28 records fee from the ship - non-covid related.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Are you saying the amount you pay for the package is 50%  or half price?

Isn't that the same?

Currently it is £25 per day for the Plus package

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

More or less - there are probably some minor exclusions but as far as I am concerned cancelling one final payment is made would be for an insurable event.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How long before embark can one cancel the P+ package?

If I wanted to lock in the current price, cancel if it stays the same as cruise nears, and then buy on board with OBC?

I didn't see cancel in the package T&Cs

If it works the same as the cruise fare itself, it obviously isn't doable.