In a panic, missed final payment

7 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

But that doesn't affect the Cloud which is an offsite storage source.  My hubs is a tech/consultant, that is why we are so redundant. 

Doesn't matter what's in the cloud if you can't access it. 

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Doesn't matter what's in the cloud if you can't access it. 

We access it with our phones.........we live pretty remotely in Arkansas, storms came through yesterday that jacked with the electricity, the only consequence was I couldn't play my games, but we can access data from the cloud with the phone, no problem.

Edited by BecciBoo

5 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We are heavy Alexa users, even our lights are controlled by Alexa...but with switch backup, my hubs is all about redundancy.  But he is highly techy, so we have every device known to man LOL  And if people are scared by that, if you use an iphone or Samsung phone, you are being tracked, watched and recorded in some cases, so using Alexa is no more of a threat than carrying around a phone, who doesn't.

We are certainly not tech, just grateful for the help to remember things we are likely to forget. We are 71 and 74, so who knows what the percentage of forgotten thoughts might be these days 😂

This happened to me on my first cruise on carnival.  They didn't send an email or anything and I called them panicked.  The operator calmly said"do you just want to make the payment now?"  and thankfully I lost nothing and was all set.  I did learn an important lesson about not expecting an email for final payment!

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I failed to make a final pmt that had been due on a Friday. I realized it over the weekend. My precious travel agent was able to reactivate the booking on Monday. We owe her so much.

That's in her job description as a TA, and you are paying for her service, so you don't really 'owe her any more'..

Just now, KroozNut said:

Yes, indirectly.. as they receive a commission on the cruise they sold you.

Of course, but you told the OP they were paying their TA. Not quite the same thing.

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Pay your TA? Huh?

Our travel agent goes above and beyond. (For example, the airline we use doesn't pay her any commission.) I could go on and on. 🤗

Edited by Etta1213

On 7/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, BND said:

Another good reason to have a good TA.  Ours are friends and she has our cc info.  She always reminds us just to make sure we want to make final payment, but we've never even come close.  I always tell her to pay off a week or so ahead and if we're doing a b2b, to pay both off at the same time.

A good TA is always nice to have. Mine is awesome, and haven’t missed final payment, but did recently learn that the agency policy where my TA works sets their “final” date ~15 days before the cruise line one, mostly to make sure there’s a buffer in case of any issues to make sure the absolute final date isn’t missed. 

9 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Pay your TA? Huh?

You are paying their commission because when you use a TA, that's one less cruise a Royal employee has to do.  If no one used TA's Royal would have to employ more people to handle the load, so, when you book a cruise, you are paying either a Royal consultant or a TA in your fare.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Our travel agent goes above and beyond. (For example, the airline we use doesn't pay her any commission.) I could go on and on. 🤗

I don't know of any airline that pays commissions anymore.  Most hotels don't either.  Our TA's are our friends and they also would do other travel free of charge if we needed it.  We book our own travel (usually amtrak) and hotels.  TA's usually charge a flat fee if there is no commission.  And, believe me, they don't make a ton of money.  Our friends wanted me to come work for them as I'm very organized and pay attention to details, but I would have had to take a 60% paycut to do so.  

Edited by BND

15 minutes ago, BND said:

You are paying their commission because when you use a TA, that's one less cruise a Royal employee has to do.  If no one used TA's Royal would have to employ more people to handle the load, so, when you book a cruise, you are paying either a Royal consultant or a TA in your fare. 

OK, it's semantics at this point. My fare is significantly less using TA group rates than booking straight through Royal. If you want to say I'm the one paying his commission, that's fine.

I only made that post b/c there was no mention of commission in the post I quoted and it read as if a TA was actually being paid a fee.

Let's move on...

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Anybody hear about self responsibility? I guess that went out the window. The other person, or company should be responsible, not me.

A few of us have mentioned personal responsibility lol.

1 hour ago, BBQ Bacon said:

Well RCL has been sending us emails for the past 3 weeks asking for our final payment, even though it wasn't due until today.  We did pay it off early but we got at least 5 emails about it.

I don't recall getting a single email for final payment from RCI for our August cruise.  On the other hand, I just got one from NCL that's due in December.  😆

Edited by RB9643
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1