In a panic, missed final payment

2 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Either interpretation is correct.  I just made final payment on a cruise and didn’t get any reminder email from Royal. I feel it’s up to me to remember and with belonging to the roll call,  many are talking about it…and it’s on my calendar.  I would be ticked at myself for forgetting, but of course..some catastrophic event could occur…so it’s possible to miss the date.  I’m happy it worked out for her despite the lapse.

You can feel what you want but companies which want paying 2-4 months before delivering the service on a random date are responsible for sending you the invoice and the reminder. 

If they dont like it they can take payment 90 days after delivering the service a bit like how they pay their own suppliers....

funny how that works. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

You can feel what you want but companies which want paying 2-4 months before delivering the service on a random date are responsible for sending you the invoice and the reminder. 

If they dont like it they can take payment 90 days after delivering the service a bit like how they pay their own suppliers....

funny how that works. 

The final payment date is clearly on the invoice, which one receives after booking or making any changes.  I’ve never received a reminder and have never missed final payment.  I don’t think there’s any hard and fast rule about it.  I’m fine with the way it works.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tomahawk246 said:

I did get it resolved, I guess. I had to pay $400 more but I’ve got a ocean view, balcony guarantee, instead of a neighborhood, guarantee balcony. That is probably well worth $400 extra. Yes, they were open today.

Great news.  Enjoy your cruise.

Lots of things going on, my sister died couple weeks ago. I just bought a new summer home and doing a lot of work on that. I was also planning a 90th birthday party for my aunt. I never received a reminder from Royal Caribbean for my September cruise. I also have a Cruise scheduled for October and I received a reminder for the final payment on my October cruise yesterday. Which ended up being a reminder that I missed the final payment on my September cruise. I guess ***** happens and life goes on. I am happy with the end results.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, tomahawk246 said:

Lots of things going on, my sister died couple weeks ago. I just bought a new summer home and doing a lot of work on that. I was also planning a 90th birthday party for my aunt. I never received a reminder from Royal Caribbean for my September cruise. I also have a Cruise scheduled for October and I received a reminder for the final payment on my October cruise yesterday. Which ended up being a reminder that I missed the final payment on my September cruise. I guess ***** happens and life goes on. I am happy with the end results.

So sorry for the loss of your sister. I’m glad you got it worked out! Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

I got a reminder email from RC , so i paid that day .

It was about 2 weeks prior to final payment date .

I also had a personal reminder about the same time to pay .

I never rely on others to do their job properly , so i do it myself. 

Nobody can look after me better than myself.🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have no real desire to wade into this, but I did receive this 100 or so days out. I am in the '3 different reminders' group on this and had them set closer to final payment date.

Glad the OP got it worked out.

image.thumb.png.745b87bc1e8c58d7caf1b46224db1458.png

4 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

funny how that works. 

If only wishing made it so.  The problem is, it really doesn't matter what you want.  You agreed to PIF 90 days ahead of time.  Check your contract.  Pretty sure it doesn't say anything about "we'll definitely email you."  

It really doesn't matter how Royal pays their vendors.  That's up to the agreement between the two companies.  The agreement between you and Royal says you'll pay 90 days ahead of time. 

FWIW, if you didn't know, your utilities at your house will cut you off for non-payment, whether you received an invoice from them or not.  

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
  • Like 8

49 minutes ago, simon.hed said:

I have no real desire to wade into this, but I did receive this 100 or so days out. I am in the '3 different reminders' group on this and had them set closer to final payment date.

Glad the OP got it worked out.

image.thumb.png.745b87bc1e8c58d7caf1b46224db1458.png

Yes, I received that email two weeks before final payment and again one week before. 

I guess it may depend on your email preference settings. If you’ve opted not to receive emails from Royal at some point in the past, they probably won’t send a reminder. Or of course it could go straight to spam.

But they definitely do send reminders.

4 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

The final payment date is clearly on the invoice, which one receives after booking or making any changes.  I’ve never received a reminder and have never missed final payment.  I don’t think there’s any hard and fast rule about it.  I’m fine with the way it works.

This.   She was mostly ticked because she lost that balcony...whether at her own ineptitude or what.  I kept asking her, you never look at your invoice???  We have cruised with them since 2007!  She insisted that's what she has always done.  I am just ACD about almost everything, I look at my invoice multiple times during the year or so before the cruise.   We book early, pay early, plan early and pack early! LOL  I don't even recall if I ever received a reminder, but I know and retain that payment due date like it was a Birthday.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

I dont care what Royal says in their contract to be honest. Im not American so im not beholden to stupid American contract rules. Im British so im protected under the consumer act as well as other rules for package holidays. We dont have enforceable small print here. We have consumer protection.

Do you think its the first time that dumb companies think they can make easy money by allowing easy breaches of conditions and then keeping your deposit? Of course not. This is why they have to inform their customers and cannot just breach the contract and keep your money. 

I know for a fact Royal sends reminders as i have them on my email now. In fact in the UK i didnt pay final payment during pandemic cancellations and they still didnt breach the contract as i worked out they were trying to force final payments so they could then do FCC and i refused payment and 7 days later they cancelled the cruise and allowed Lift and shift. 

Not familiar with British "consumer act". 

Does it allow you to NOT pay a vendor when the vendor requires it and you still get the product?  

I also wanted to ask... when you first book your cruise and get an email confirmation, does it not say "full payment due on 'x'"?  There's your notification. 

I don't think quoting what happened during the pandemic is a good indication of what's "allowed".

How about you do this... don't pay when your final payment is due.  Say you never got the email.  Go to board, and when they say your cruise was cancelled for lack of payment, tell them you're going to pay them 90 days after the cruise is over.  When they say you can't do that, let them know you fall under the British consumer protection. Let us know how it works out for you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Not familiar with British "consumer act". 

Does it allow you to NOT pay a vendor when the vendor requires it and you still get the product?  

I also wanted to ask... when you first book your cruise and get an email confirmation, does it not say "full payment due on 'x'"?  There's your notification. 

I don't think quoting what happened during the pandemic is a good indication of what's "allowed".

How about you do this... don't pay when your final payment is due.  Say you never got the email.  Go to board, and when they say your cruise was cancelled for lack of payment, tell them you're going to pay them 90 days after the cruise is over.  When they say you can't do that, let them know you fall under the British consumer protection. Let us know how it works out for you.

Dont care what it says.

They dont send me a reminder it likely wont get paid. They sent me 3 reminders and one late reminder for my cruise this June. This is because they could not apply my FCC because customer services were useless. So i refused to pay the final bill until they sorted it. 

Funny how they didnt just breach contract and keep my deposit right?

• Haha 1

I can tell you one thing, I definitely did not get a reminder to pay the final bill for my September cruise. I did get a reminder to pay for my cruise in October. The reminder for the October cruise was a reminder to me that I did not pay my final payment for my September cruise. That is proof that royal Caribbean is screwed up, one hand don’t know what the other hand is doing. And there is no disputing that.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, tomahawk246 said:

Actually, the more I think about this it is definitely it is Royal Caribbean’s fault. If you go on 20 cruises and you get notified 20 times, you would expect to be notified on the 21st time and that is what I relied on. This is possibly the first time that I ever missed a payment on any bill in my life. Further proof that royal Caribbean has their head up their ass.

What is the time frame?  90 days now?

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

90 days for cruises 5 or more days

75 days for cruises 4 days or less

Tnx.  Reading this thread had

me looking up one of my bookings coming up.  Just wanted to make sure.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Yes, I received that email two weeks before final payment and again one week before. 

I guess it may depend on your email preference settings. If you’ve opted not to receive emails from Royal at some point in the past, they probably won’t send a reminder. Or of course it could go straight to spam.

But they definitely do send reminders.

Interesting, just checked and never received a reminder for my Oct cruise which payment is due 7/9 but I paid it end of June, but still after 2 weeks before it was due.  Maybe I would have received it, maybe not, I am in the remind myself every way possible camp.  I did just check though and don't have email opted-out.

11 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Personally, I understand people getting busy and forgetting to send in payments.  What I have a problem with is people laying the blame at Royal's feet.  What happened to saying "yup, I messed up, can you help me?"  Instead it turns into "It's your fault, fix it!"

I can see that people can get busy as well. Our household is always going one way or another, between work, school and sports activities.

That said we have three notices on our electronic calendar reminding us to pay our cruise.  They are two weeks before it is due, one week and then the day before.  We also have it on our paper calendar.  Over and above that we have a post it note inside our cruise folder saying what day it is due.  With this system we have yet to miss a payment.

I'm happy that it worked out for the OP, and hopefully others reading this thread have double checked when they have payments coming up.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

if they didn’t send me final payment notification they wouldn’t get paid and then I’d sue them for my deposit anyway and I’d win it back easily. 

Being British would you have to sue them in Miami or do you have special laws that allow you to sue them in your home country? It was my understanding all suits against RC would have to be filed in Miami.  You'd probably spend more on legal fees than your refund is worth.

Edited by A&L_Ont

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

This.   She was mostly ticked because she lost that balcony...whether at her own ineptitude or what.  I kept asking her, you never look at your invoice???  We have cruised with them since 2007!  She insisted that's what she has always done.  I am just ACD about almost everything, I look at my invoice multiple times during the year or so before the cruise.   We book early, pay early, plan early and pack early! LOL  I don't even recall if I ever received a reminder, but I know and retain that payment due date like it was a Birthday.

My final payment is highlighted in pink. Since I never can remember the exact amount of my cruise, I refer to my invoice when looking for a lower price….and there it is…the pink highlighted date. Also, it’s on my electronic calendar that I use for doctor, dentist, manicure , etc appointments.  I’m happy your friend resolved her difficulty….it’s not the worst thing that could have happened…and maybe she’ll learn to remind herself about FP, just in case Royal doesn’t. 

• Like 1