New Premium Selections in MDR

W283386

Any thoughts on the new MDR menu that now allow puchases of lobster ($16.99), Filet Mignon ($19.99) or surf and turf for $34.99).  It is being tried on the Sillohoutte and probably rolled out to other ships.  Link should start about two minutes into video.

The menu that was tested on the Equinox was was pulled and replaced with the regular menu with the 3 everyday entrees and 4 everyday appetizers plus the daily items.

I could be that the uncharge items may still being tested and if enough people order them they become a regular option.  

• Thanks 1

We are sailing on the Sept 15th TP on the Millennium. Because of all the changes going on that  Celebrity is doing. We are holding off booking more cruises with Celebrity until we finish our cruise and experience everything for ourselves. We sure hope to book more cruises with Celebrity.

Ed & Mary

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Longhorn-ED said:

We are sailing on the Sept 15th TP on the Millennium. Because of all the changes going on that  Celebrity is doing. We are holding off booking more cruises with Celebrity until we finish our cruise and experience everything for ourselves. We sure hope to book more cruises with Celebrity.

Ed & Mary

We will be sailing with you and looking at the menu's, they look pretty similar to old menus. We will be on the Millie starting Friday for a quick getaway and will get to experience the "new" menus. I did see that they have the standard Lobster night on night 6 of my upcoming cruise but extra tails will cost. On some of our recent RCL cruises, every night they offered some upcharge foods in the MDR (Lobster, Filet Mignon and Surf and Turf). If that is was X is doing...no big deal to me since they don't offer those items typically.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ladyjane550 said:

I will cancel my upcoming cruise on the Equinox if they still have the main dining upcharge.

You may want to understand what it is exactly before you make a decision. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, W283386 said:

Any thoughts on the new MDR menu that now allow puchases of lobster ($16.99), Filet Mignon ($19.99) or surf and turf for $34.99).  It is being tried on the Sillohoutte and probably rolled out to other ships.  Link should start about two minutes into video.

This video was from 13 days ago when they were doing a test menu on Equinox.  They have gone back to the regular menu a few days ago.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ladyjane550 said:

I will cancel my upcoming cruise on the Equinox if they still have the main dining upcharge.

If they just offer you the regular menu items, you’re fine with it, but if they offer you the regular menu items,, plus the option to pay for premium items, you’re going to cancel?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

If they just offer you the regular menu items, you’re fine with it, but if they offer you the regular menu items,, plus the option to pay for premium items, you’re going to cancel?

I think from the context the person you were responding to mistakenly believed that there was an upcharge for eating in MDR at all.  That wasn't true during the test, though the argument could be made that if you wanted a decent meal, you'd have to pay an upcharge. Fortunately (we hope), that is moot since the orphanage-style food is gone, and the more familiar MDR entrees have returned.

• Like 1

Just now, publicpersona said:

I think from the context the person you were responding to mistakenly believed that there was an upcharge for eating in MDR at all.  That wasn't true during the test, though the argument could be made that if you wanted a decent meal, you'd have to pay an upcharge. Fortunately (we hope), that is moot since the orphanage-style food is gone, and the more familiar MDR entrees have returned.

If this program ever comes back- what would be the point of the upcharge in the MDR?  Just book a Specialty Restaurant instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If this program ever comes back- what would be the point of the upcharge in the MDR?  Just book a Specialty Restaurant instead.

What is the point from whose perspective? From the cruise line, it's just another revenue enhancer by removing the main option for complimentary dining. They might argue that the buffet remains available. Besides, I was just explaining what I perceived the person was thinking about, not there exists any evidence whatsoever that X was considering anything like that.

Why does Celebrity want to be more like RCL instead of the Premium or Luxury lines?  They do market that they are "luxury" but keep shooting themselves in the foot by these poor types of business decisions that alienate their cruisers. All the while Celebrity keeps raising prices into the realm of the Premium/Luxury lines.

During the pandemic, I was able to book suites on three Regent sailings last year for less pp/pn in the same SF suite size for less than Celebrity.  I could have lobster, scallops and filet every night in the MDR and premium 1LTR liquor bottles even in the suite.  Specialty restaurants were included.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, publicpersona said:

What is the point from whose perspective? From the cruise line, it's just another revenue enhancer by removing the main option for complimentary dining. They might argue that the buffet remains available. Besides, I was just explaining what I perceived the person was thinking about, not there exists any evidence whatsoever that X was considering anything like that.

The point from my perspective.  If I wanted any of these premium selections I would go to a Specialty Restaurant.   But they are not removing the main option for complimentary dining.  Where do you see that? Just charging extra for certain items.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The price for just the entree is considerably less than the price for a meal in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

The price for just the entree is considerably less than the price for a meal in the specialty restaurants.

I attended a Chef's talk a few years ago where he disclosed the difference in the quality of meats served in the various dining venues.  The specialty restaurants received the highest grade. Dinning room next and buffet the lowest.  I believe that's why they're always covering those with lots of sauces to hide the fact.

So even though you're paying an up charge in the MDR, are you really getting the quality of the specialty restaurant?

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The point from my perspective.  If I wanted any of these premium selections I would go to a Specialty Restaurant.   But they are not removing the main option for complimentary dining.  Where do you see that? Just charging extra for certain items.  

Hi Rick ,

Included in the cruise fare , it is not really complimentary.

Nothing against you , all these companies throw around the terms “ free “  and “ complimentary “

hoping people will forget they paid a cruise fare.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Why does Celebrity want to be more like RCL instead of the Premium or Luxury lines?  They do market that they are "luxury" but keep shooting themselves in the foot by these poor types of business decisions that alienate their cruisers. All the while Celebrity keeps raising prices into the realm of the Premium/Luxury lines.

If they want to be a Premium line they should bring back the All inclusive across all the cabins , with the drink package being the zero option , if you want alcohol you can upgraded