Live from Britannia

Selbourne

Just now, Fionboard said:

At least the cocktail parties are back now (except when Noro on board like last month!) 

We haven’t had that yet. Is it the same thing that we used to be invited to when in Mediterranean tier, or is there a separate one for Caribbean tier?

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We haven’t had that yet. Is it the same thing that we used to be invited to when in Mediterranean tier, or is there a separate one for Caribbean tier?

I think the cocktail parties are for all Portunus club members, even pre covid they were far too crowded to be enjoyable. We intend to skip tomorrows on Princess to avoid the scrum.

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

No hosts at lunches post covid but the wine has been very generous! 

In relation to the wine we tried the red that was offered and were not overly keen , the waiter promptly brought over a second choice which we enjoyed a lot more , on our last cruise on Azura there were only eighteen of us at the Baltic/Liguarian lunch, you soon realize how big the dining room actually is when that small amount is huddled in one corner. the food and service were exceptional and we did feel it was a nice perk to reward loyalty

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

It was the 3rd formal night yet the MDR queues seemed far less busy than the previous 2. I think this may have been because some wanted a more casual night (having only had a formal night two nights before) and it was also Asian night in the buffet.

Also likely due to the ‘celebration’ menu being definitely sub-par and not worth dressing up for. 

We went to the Glass House (now on menu B) and it was excellent - steamed fish in a bamboo leaf for my wife and fillet steak for me - best meal on the ship that invented had on the ship so far by a long way. 

• Like 5

On 7/14/2023 at 12:49 PM, mrsgoggins said:

I do so agree with the emboldened part above!  It was so refreshing to receive a 4-sided A4 leaflet at the start of our Princess cruise with exactly the sort of information you would want. I hope (🤞 ) to show below the inside pages. We had already pre-booked our excursions, and added one more whilst on board, and so the information did not change our plans, which I guess is what the cruise companies fear - and I know P&O are not the only ones with scant assistance to independent passengers.

IMG_0025.jpeg

That’s very helpful indeed. 

DAY 9 (Copenhagen)

We were woken by severe vibration caused by the aft thrusters as we docked in Copenhagen, vibration that was so severe that I half expected to hear the crash of toiletry items falling to the floor in the bathroom 😂 On our previous calls we had berthed at Langelinekaj terminal, which is near the Little Mermaid statue and an easy walk along the waterside to all the sights. This time we have berthed around 3 miles further out of the city centre at the Ocean Cruise terminal. 

We had a leisurely breakfast in the MDR. As we have been to Copenhagen a few times before, and this is a 2 day stop, we decided to chill during the morning and go ashore after lunch once the exodus had subsided. 

Lunch was in the Glasshouse, just our 2nd visit this cruise. The speciality restaurants have all now changed their menus for the 2nd week and I was delighted to see that my favourite pre-Covid Glasshouse meal (Sea Bass wrapped in banana leaf with a curried prawn & veg broth & rice) still featured, and it was just as good as I remembered it. I washed this down with a large Money Spider white wine from our favourite wine producer D’Arenberg. If you’ve never had it, try it! My wife had the small plates again and enjoyed them. We skipped desert and had a hot drink with a freebie slice of banana bread in Java (the on-board Costa). 

At this point I would like to praise the excellent provision that P&O made for disabled passengers in Copenhagen re accessible shuttles. Horizon had mentioned a “limited accessible shuttle service” so we were delighted to see 3 accessible minibuses waiting at the quayside when we disembarked. It took quite a while to get going with all the required securing of the wheelchair with various straps, but we had the vehicle to ourselves for the 15 minute drive into the city centre. By the time we had alighted from the minibus the Money Spider and large Americano were necessitating a pit stop. We weren’t far from the main shopping area, so we walked along the main pedestrianised drag looking for a likely place that would have a loo. After a few failed attempts we entered a posh department store called Illum. 

Whilst this was a successful call from a bladder relieving perspective, it almost became an extremely costly one. Once we had availed ourselves of the facilities and were heading towards the exit, the familiar sign of Lady Selbourne’s favourite jewellers caught her eye. My wife never asks for anything and doesn’t even like shopping but, during the 30 plus years that we have been together, I have bought her a number of pieces from this brand. So whilst most visitors to Copenhagen are content with a stroll around Tivoli, I suddenly found myself having to make an unscheduled stop at the similar sounding, but slightly more expensive, Tiffany!

My hopes of a quick pass through were scuppered when the obviously highly trained sales advisor spotted my wife’s Tiffany necklace and pounced. My attempts at saying that we’d only popped in to use the loo fell on deaf ears. I didn’t get a look in as she then proceeded to suggest various pieces that my wife might also be interested in. After about 6 different pieces were shown, and my wife had replied that she already owned each of them, I thought that I’d be able to steer the wheelchair towards the exit, but unfortunately the exact opposite happened. The advisor clearly decided that this was a serious Tiffany customer and invited us over to a seating area where champagne was offered and hors d’oeuvres produced. A gold bracelet with a couple of tiny diamonds was placed on my wife’s wrist and great emphasis placed on the fact that we could reclaim the 17.5% tax at the cruise terminal. I could see that my wife liked it, and as this year marks a milestone birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary I said that I would buy it for her if she really liked it. Mercifully, when the UK equivalent price of just over £4,000 was revealed, my wife responded with “well I like it, but I don’t like it that much”. That’s my girl! I thanked the assistant for her time and headed for the exit at an unseemly speed 😂 

I was aiming for the picturesque Nyhavn area, but in my haste to put as much distance between ourselves and the Illum store as I could before my wife changed her mind, I had turned the wrong way along the waterfront! Thankfully I realised that things didn’t look right so I asked a local who pointed me in the right direction. We walked all the way up towards the Little Mermaid but by this time we were some considerable distance from the shuttle drop off point and it was 25 degrees. By luck we saw a cab and although it cost us £30 with a tip we were back on the ship 15 minutes later and I couldn’t get my credit card back in the safe quick enough 😂

We had pre-dinner drinks in the Crystal Room whilst listening to the resident singer Angelika, who was this time accompanied by the ships orchestra. As we left I spotted DaiB in the Glasshouse, so we had an enjoyable chat for half an hour with him and his lovely wife before we went for a really nice dinner in the MDR. We had been due to dine in the Beach House, but have cancelled our 2nd and 3rd visits, not because of the food (which was superb) but because of the ambiance. Screaming babies and noisy youngsters who had been kept up far too late had somewhat spoiled our first visit, so we didn’t want to risk a repeat. Both of us enjoyed all 3 courses in the MDR very much and we were called to our table within a few minutes of requesting it on the app. Progress indeed, although the MDR was near empty with many passengers being ashore for evening tours. So yet another very enjoyable day on our 14 day trip around Scandinavia. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 27
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 9 (Copenhagen)

We were woken by severe vibration caused by the aft thrusters as we docked in Copenhagen, vibration that was so severe that I half expected to hear the crash of toiletry items falling to the floor in the bathroom 😂 On our previous calls we had berthed at Langelinekaj terminal, which is near the Little Mermaid statue and an easy walk along the waterside to all the sights. This time we have berthed around 3 miles further out of the city centre at the Ocean Cruise terminal. 

We had a leisurely breakfast in the MDR. As we have been to Copenhagen a few times before, and this is a 2 day stop, we decided to chill during the morning and go ashore after lunch once the exodus had subsided. 

Lunch was in the Glasshouse, just our 2nd visit this cruise. The speciality restaurants have all now changed their menus for the 2nd week and I was delighted to see that my favourite pre-Covid Glasshouse meal (Sea Bass wrapped in banana leaf with a curried prawn & veg broth & rice) still featured, and it was just as good as I remembered it. I washed this down with a large Money Spider white wine from our favourite wine producer D’Arenberg. If you’ve never had it, try it! My wife had the small plates again and enjoyed them. We skipped desert and had a hot drink with a freebie slice of banana bread in Java (the on-board Costa). 

At this point I would like to praise the excellent provision that P&O made for disabled passengers in Copenhagen re accessible shuttles. Horizon had mentioned a “limited accessible shuttle service” so we were delighted to see 3 accessible minibuses waiting at the quayside when we disembarked. It took quite a while to get going with all the required securing of the wheelchair with various straps, but we had the vehicle to ourselves for the 15 minute drive into the city centre. By the time we had alighted from the minibus the Money Spider and large Americano were necessitating a pit stop. We weren’t far from the main shopping area, so we walked along the main pedestrianised drag looking for a likely place that would have a loo. After a few failed attempts we entered a posh department store called Illum. 

Whilst this was a successful call from a bladder relieving perspective, it almost became an extremely costly one. Once we had availed ourselves of the facilities and were heading towards the exit, the familiar sign of Lady Selbourne’s favourite jewellers caught her eye. My wife never asks for anything and doesn’t even like shopping but, during the 30 plus years that we have been together, I have bought her a number of pieces from this brand. So whilst most visitors to Copenhagen are content with a stroll around Tivoli, I suddenly found myself having to make an unscheduled stop at the similar sounding, but slightly more expensive, Tiffany!

My hopes of a quick pass through were scuppered when the obviously highly trained sales advisor spotted my wife’s Tiffany necklace and pounced. My attempts at saying that we’d only popped in to use the loo fell on deaf ears. I didn’t get a look in as she then proceeded to suggest various pieces that my wife might also be interested in. After about 6 different pieces were shown, and my wife had replied that she already owned each of them, I thought that I’d be able to steer the wheelchair towards the exit, but unfortunately the exact opposite happened. The advisor clearly decided that this was a serious Tiffany customer and invited us over to a seating area where champagne was offered and hors d’oeuvres produced. A gold bracelet with a couple of tiny diamonds was placed on my wife’s wrist and great emphasis placed on the fact that we could reclaim the 17.5% tax at the cruise terminal. I could see that my wife liked it, and as this year marks a milestone birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary I said that I would buy it for her if she really liked it. Mercifully, when the UK equivalent price of just over £4,000 was revealed, my wife responded with “well I like it, but I don’t like it that much”. That’s my girl! I thanked the assistant for her time and headed for the exit at an unseemly speed 😂 

I was aiming for the picturesque Nyhavn area, but in my haste to put as much distance between ourselves and the Illum store as I could before my wife changed her mind, I had turned the wrong way along the waterfront! Thankfully I realised that things didn’t look right so I asked a local who pointed me in the right direction. We walked all the way up towards the Little Mermaid but by this time we were some considerable distance from the shuttle drop off point and it was 25 degrees. By luck we saw a cab and although it cost us £30 with a tip we were back on the ship 15 minutes later and I couldn’t get my credit card back in the safe quick enough 😂

We had pre-dinner drinks in the Crystal Room whilst listening to the resident singer Angelika, who was this time accompanied by the ships orchestra. As we left I spotted DaiB in the Glasshouse, so we had an enjoyable chat for half an hour with him and his lovely wife before we went for a really nice dinner in the MDR. We had been due to dine in the Beach House, but have cancelled our 2nd and 3rd visits, not because of the food (which was superb) but because of the ambiance. Screaming babies and noisy youngsters who had been kept up far too late had somewhat spoiled our first visit, so we didn’t want to risk a repeat. Both of us enjoyed all 3 courses in the MDR very much and we were called to our table within a few minutes of requesting it on the app. Progress indeed, although the MDR was near empty with many passengers being ashore for evening tours. So yet another very enjoyable day on our 14 day trip around Scandinavia. 

Ooh, near miss in Tiffany's, good swerve😂

Glad you got to spend some time with Dai, we only got to meet him briefly but seemed like he would be great company. 

I definitely fancy this itinerary, although we have been to many of the ports before, we really like the Scandinavian towns. 

Thanks again for your updates, really enjoying them. 

Andy 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 9 (Copenhagen)

Another good report, young man.👍

It sounds like your missus is just like mine, a veritable magpie. Not just with the glittery stuff either. I mean, how many handbags does one person need?  I sometimes hark back to the days when she was in a manual chair, and I could steer her away from potential financial danger. 

In the Caribbean a few years agon, I can't remember which island we were on, either Curacao or Aruba, but we went a different way back to the ship, and she missed going in the Tiffany shop. I then promised her that she could fill her boots when we got to Barbados; it turned out that the shop I thought was there was not. My relief didn't last long though; it cost me dearly a few months later when we were in the US.🙄

I too really enjoyed the sea bass in the banana leaf when we were last on Britannia. Unfortunately, you won't be able to have it when you are on Iona next month; they, like Arvia, don't serve serve main dishes; everything is trio this and trio that.

I recall the accessible transfers being good in Copenhagen. To be best of my recollection, when we were ready to return, the mini bus was not on that street where we were dropped off; it was parked nearby. An agent got on her radio and, hey presto, it appeared.

The one thing about Copenhagen that was really annoying were the abandoned bikes on the footpaths on some of the side streets. More than a couple of times, I had to move them.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I'll be interested to hear about Skagen; we've not been there before.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 9 (Copenhagen)

Copenhagen is on my list of places to go, even more so now I know where Tiffany is! I'm a fan as well. Never been offered champagne though, a mere offer to clean the necklace I was wearing is as far as I've got. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your reports, thank you. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Another good report, young man.👍

It sounds like your missus is just like mine, a veritable magpie. Not just with the glittery stuff either. I mean, how many handbags does one person need?  

As one of the handbag magpies I can only say that there is no such thing as too many handbags and the same goes for jewellery.

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

On 7/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, terrierjohn said:

I think the cocktail parties are for all Portunus club members, even pre covid they were far too crowded to be enjoyable. We intend to skip tomorrows on Princess to avoid the scrum.

So it’s a long time since you cruised John. 😊 They are now Peninsular parties. 😊. They are only for Mediterranean and above.

Gan Canny

Dai

Selbourne - loved hearing about your day in Copenhagen and glad you are keeping the Glasshouse in practice for me!  Your (non) shopping experience took me back to many Carribean cruises where as you will all know jewellery shops feature prominently.   My husband fell into the trap many times shopping for diamonds in various ports and I also developed a passion for an American brand of (expensive) costume jewellery - John Hardy.    I still have all the pieces though and take pleasure in wearing them (the diamonds not so much now).  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

As one of the handbag magpies I can only say that there is no such thing as too many handbags and the same goes for jewellery.

Love it, Josy - handbag magpie!  I’ve got one of those, though she has virtually no jewellery, not even an engagement ring because we had no money at the time.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Love it, Josy - handbag magpie!  I’ve got one of those, though she has virtually no jewellery, not even an engagement ring because we had no money at the time.

When we got engaged DH asked me to choose my own ring because all of our friends were having solitaires and I had made a comment about how boring they looked.  I have a sapphire and diamond that he bought from a small independent jeweller locally.  It is now wearing thin so I rarely wear it except on special occasions. The wedding ring is also wearing thin but both are here to stay.

20230716_133110~2.jpg

• Like 16

24 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

When we got engaged DH asked me to choose my own ring because all of our friends were having solitaires and I had made a comment about how boring they looked.  I have a sapphire and diamond that he bought from a small independent jeweller locally.  It is now wearing thin so I rarely wear it except on special occasions. The wedding ring is also wearing thin but both are here to stay.

20230716_133110~2.jpg

That’s truly a lovely ring, Josy. I can see why you’d treasure it. We could just about afford one wedding ring, but that came from a jeweller in Cannon Street who gave a genuine 25% discount to a union I was a member of.  £12 - 22 carat gold! 

Later on in life I did suggest buying an engagement ring, but my wife said she’d rather spend the money on a piece of handmade oak furniture from a guy who used to work at Mousey Thompson’s in North Yorkshire. So that’s what she did - still refers to it as her engagement ring!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

An as an aside, after watching the Danish TV show ‘Seaside Hotel’ (All4 and completely recommend) it is rather amusing to hear Skagen being pronounced on the ships announcements in the English phonetic way rather than with the Danish pronunciation. 

Edited by 9265359

18 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

An as an aside, after watching the Danish TV show ‘Seaside Hotel’ (All4 and completely recommend) it is rather amusing to hear Skagen being pronounced on the ships announcements in the English phonetic way rather than with the Danish pronunciation. 

Yes, I believe it’s pronounced Scane

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Do you put the jam or cream on first... 😂

Andy everyone knows that it is cream first then jam.  My grandad told me that was how his family always had their scones and he was born and bred in Devon so it must right :classic_smile:

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Andy everyone knows that it is cream first then jam.  My grandad told me that was how his family always had their scones and he was born and bred in Devon so it must right :classic_smile:

Heresy,  West of Tamar

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Nooooo! Jam first. Great shame that with the abolition of afternoon tea on P&O, your only option is squirty ‘cream’ in the buffet 🤮 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1