Do you think guest behavior is linked to a particular ship?

Drew B 58

1 hour ago, mattcj89 said:

I think a lot can be said with these issues on Venezia out of NY. Carnival seems to have had issues with behavior regardless of the ship placed in that port or the length of the itinerary. Putting it’s nicest ship in NY was probably not the best idea IMO. Place a Spirit class ship there with fewer cabins to help drive the price up to keep the riff raff off and that’s probably the answer to keeping a ship there year round, unfortunately. 

Back in the day, I took cruises out of NYC on Carnival Splendor. Never saw any fights or rowdy behavior except for a handful of young teenagers racing across the Lido. They were stopped and spoken to by security. (It is true that I was never in the nightclub in the early morning!)

More recently I have cruised on Norwegian, again, mostly from NYC. A sedate and well-behaved crowd. The biggest excitement was angling for a seat in Syd Norman's Pour House. (But no fist fights or even verbal altercations occurred during this process.) 

I do not know what is prompting these recent events. It's sad. The ship looks beautiful, and I'd really like to give it a try, since cruising from NY is so much easier for me. But if this type of behavior continues unabated, I cannot see myself feeling comfortable. I just do not want to see or hear that on my vacation. Peace is all I am looking for on my cruise.

• Like 2

I don't think it's a particular ship. I do think it can be particular to demographics, length of cruise, and time of year. I think shorter cruises in summer or spring break to Mexico or the Caribbean tend to have younger and rowdier crowds. I have seen some things on Carnival for sure. I have never seen a fight or anything on Norwegian, but I am sure it happens. For ref I am Platinum on NCL and Gold- almost Platinum on Carnival - these 2 lines are the only cruises I have sailed in the last 20 years. 

2 hours ago, carol louise said:

I was on the June 19 sailing out of NY on Venezia and did not know of any violence. Of course, I was never out and about at 1 am. Did see the dog strolling with his handler a couple times. I agree that length of cruise (therefore, cost) and season are more important factors than the ship. It’s summer, and Carnival has been heavily promoting Venezia for months now with tv ads. I wonder if they also offered some really good (cheap) deals?

I booked back in November for 3 interior’s and 1 cove balcony including gratuity for 9 people and the final cost was over 7,000.00 for 4 nights. I don’t think the rate was any cheaper then or now. I hope Carnival sees that video adds more security and closes the nightclub at a reasonable hour. 

• Thanks 1

You can run into jerks who are rude/obnoxious/entitled on any length of cruise, any ship, any cruise line, any port, and at any price point. I think the difference is: 1) that people who have something to lose are less likely to get in a physical altercation; and 2) people are more likely to lose their cool and resort to physical violence when they are wasted drunk. The short cruises definitely lend themselves to people inclined to get wasted.  And I think they also are more likely to have people who don't have as much to lose in the event of an arrest/charge/lawsuit so aren't as inclined to walk away when someone offends them.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Who thinks giving a freshly allowed to legally drink 21yo a card w/a 15 drink daily allotment then turning them loose to go have is a good idea? Then add in any amount of hot sun and raging testosterone couple w/peer pressure... who's surprised by the end result? Granted, many involved are well over 21, but I think you get the point.

The 21 yr has a parent or guardian onboard.  

3 hours ago, carol louise said:

I was on the June 19 sailing out of NY on Venezia and did not know of any violence. Of course, I was never out and about at 1 am. Did see the dog strolling with his handler a couple times. I agree that length of cruise (therefore, cost) and season are more important factors than the ship. It’s summer, and Carnival has been heavily promoting Venezia for months now with tv ads. I wonder if they also offered some really good (cheap) deals?

Yes, they did.

15 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

You can run into jerks who are rude/obnoxious/entitled on any length of cruise, any ship, any cruise line, any port, and at any price point. I think the difference is: 1) that people who have something to lose are less likely to get in a physical altercation; and 2) people are more likely to lose their cool and resort to physical violence when they are wasted drunk. The short cruises definitely lend themselves to people inclined to get wasted.  And I think they also are more likely to have people who don't have as much to lose in the event of an arrest/charge/lawsuit so aren't as inclined to walk away when someone offends them.

I do think there is a perception of no law enforcement possibility so (not that that is a deterrent for some) and ship security can be pretty passive.  Novice cruisers may be thinking that no one is calling 911. You can see on most of posted videos security aren't putting hands on Fighter McFighters.  There is hesitation especially with both females fighters and female security to get physical.   I watched many bar brawls (on land) and when security arrives, combatants got either tossed or hit. 

Some of these large family groups are already fueled on resentment towards their patron who paid for their cruise and I will bet fights are normal when the family is together.  

• Thanks 1

Just curious what those that were speaking of security expected them to do. Not for nothing, but they would have been beaten to a pulp, if not worse. There was no way to control that crowd, short of pepper spray or a taser, which they are not allowed to carry. If they had stepped in, the crowd would have definitely turned on them. Sad that security on a cruise ship has to wear body cameras and have to deal with nonsense like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@havanadaydreaming Not necessarily good luck-good parenting , environment and genes for your children combined to create their good behavior and personalities.

Interesting that posters are pointing out that the Venezia is home ported in NYC, alluding to the idea that the location is contributing to outrageous conduct on the ship.

Other lines have chosen NYC as a home port -Cunard and NCL currently use the Manhattan Terminal with Princess occasionally using the pier (s) there.

Are there reports of fights on these lines?

The low fares ( under 2,000 for a suite?), the short length of some of the cruises.,the liberal drink package and passenger “demographics” all contribute to the outlandish behavior that has been reported on the Carnival ships.

Carnival could do things to change the reputation the line is receiving. 
Making known that certain respectful passenger conduct is expected and tightening security procedures could go a long way to improving the reputation of the Venezia and ships of the Carnival line.

MJ

• Like 1

Do people really think there was no fighting on cruise ships in the 70's 80's, or 90's? Or is it possible there were fights, but they just weren't recorded by 3000 guests having cell phones to record and then blast away on social media like FB, twitter, TikTok, and YouTube?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We've been on a lot of Carnival cruises and have sailed out of New Orleans, NYC, LA, San Diego, Miami, Seattle, San Francisco, and our own homeport, Port Canaveral.  Our shortest cruise has been 7 days and our longest is 15 days.  We stay away from summer cruises as much as possible, spring break, and any holiday cruises.  I've never seen or heard of a fight onboard on any of our cruises.  The only excitement we've witnessed and not planned by Carnival was some moron jumping off the ship in the middle of the day somewhere between San Diego and Hawaii and witnessed by a lot of people (he was brought back on board by the crew).

I think it's time for the cruise lines to get serious about fights.  First, hire some big guys to work security.  Second, if a fight breaks out, restrict the fighters to their cabins for the rest of the cruise guarded by some of the newly hired big guys, and third, put the clowns on a Do Not Cruise list shared by all the cruise lines.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Do people really think there was no fighting on cruise ships in the 70's 80's, or 90's? Or is it possible there were fights, but they just weren't recorded by 3000 guests having cell phones to record and then blast away on social media like FB, twitter, TikTok, and YouTube?

No.  Because back then people were afraid of cops and security and behaved on planes, airports and cruise ships.  Now the ones that act like this don't have any respect and will inform you that you disrespected them.  Also, police and security were "allowed" to quell the situation.  Now we have social workers to stop violence.  Airport videos are much worse.

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

No.  Because back then people were afraid of cops and security and behaved on planes, airports and cruise ships.  Now the ones that act like this don't have any respect and will inform you that you disrespected them.  Also, police and security were "allowed" to quell the situation.  Now we have social workers to stop violence.  Airport videos are much worse.

A simple google search indicates otherwise

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

A simple google search indicates otherwise

search for what exactly?

Share your link.  If you honestly think people fought in massive fights the same as now in the 70s, 80s and 90s on cruise ships, I would like to see it.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mkcurran said:

I don't know about the ship, but length of cruise makes a difference in the kind of guests aboard.

I def agree. The length of the cruise makes a huge difference. The shorter the cruise, the rowdier the guests. In all 11 cruises we have taken on Carnival, all 7+ days we have seen one really drunk guy who pretended he was fighting. The rest of the cruises were with very pleasant people.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, teaach02 said:

I def agree. The length of the cruise makes a huge difference. The shorter the cruise, the rowdier the guests. In all 11 cruises we have taken on Carnival, all 7+ days we have seen one really drunk guy who pretended he was fighting. The rest of the cruises were with very pleasant people.

I’ve done lots of short cruises.  Never seen a fight.  The biggest problem I’ve dealt with was a pervasive smell of vomit when some drunk DESTROYED one of the public restrooms off the atrium.  🤢

Edited by Drew B 58
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

“Carnival could do things to change the reputation the line is receiving. 
Making known that certain respectful passenger conduct is expected and tightening security procedures could go a long way to improving the reputation of the Venezia and ships of the Carnival line.“

It seems to me that they have made a number of efforts, particularly in the last year, to make known that respectful passenger conduct is required.  Doesn’t seem that was enough to prevent these incidents…

• Like 1

I think guest behavior is more linked to the length of the cruise in all honesty, the 3-4 day cruises are going to be straight-up party cruises as people are escaping for a weekend and they will be hammered from sun up to sun down. I feel like once you hit the 6+ Day cruises it tends to weed out the guests who would probably cause issues.

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I do think there is a perception of no law enforcement possibility so (not that that is a deterrent for some) and ship security can be pretty passive.  Novice cruisers may be thinking that no one is calling 911. You can see on most of posted videos security aren't putting hands on Fighter McFighters.  There is hesitation especially with both females fighters and female security to get physical.   I watched many bar brawls (on land) and when security arrives, combatants got either tossed or hit. 

Some of these large family groups are already fueled on resentment towards their patron who paid for their cruise and I will bet fights are normal when the family is together.  

I’m sure security personnel on ships have the same unreasonable restrictions those on land do. Touch a lawbreaker and you will be attacked and end up defending yourself in court. And the entire demographic will demand “justice” for the lawbreakers. And I can guarantee you from personal knowledge that female officers do not shy away from engagement any more than male.

Your last statement was absolutely correct in that many of these individuals consider arguing and fighting and loudness normal.

• Like 3

I once witnessed a nice brawl on a 7 day cruise. It was at the conclusion of a dodge ball game. Very competitively hot play and accusations of cheating did not end well. The director managed to calm things down and then disperse the crowd. No one won tha prized ship on the stick.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

I'm just pointing out the common elements of the recent fights on board.

I guess i'm wondering what conclusions you're hoping people draw based on the commonalities you point out...

• Thanks 1