Timing of Mariner status update

sue1898

Just a quick note, it will be updated after your onboard account is finalized. If you are on a b2b with a combined account, the first cruise will not be updated until you complete the second and your onboard account is closed.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Just a quick note, it will be updated after your onboard account is finalized. If you are on a b2b with a combined account, the first cruise will not be updated until you complete the second and your onboard account is closed.

I'm not hijacking the OPs post but want to share what I recently learned about my change in Mariner status. 

I just booked a B2B 17day then 14 day.  This voyage could also be booked as a 31 day.  When booking I asked HAL about becoming 4 star on the second portion and this is what I was told.  "You don't have to book the B2B because as soon as you achieve 4 star on the trip, you will receive your benefits".  I said, "this is not a Grand Voyage".  HAL said, "it doesn't matter".  I said, "I am going to book the B2B because in the end, I can stay in the same room and the B2B is cheaper".  HAL said, "either way, you will still receive your 4 star benefits".  I kind of laugh at this because I am sure we have all been told things from HAL that weren't true.  But, I am going to hold them to it.  I was told to go to the desk a few days before the trip ends and "inform them" that you want to start your 4 star benefits immediately on the 2nd voyage.  OK.  On the CC boards, some people said this actually did work for them on HAL and others were skeptical.  

Edited by AKJonesy

When I needed 4 credits till  4*, I called the Mariner Society and was told that benefits don’t begin until the following cruise.  He said I’d be recognized with a pin during the voyage but there would be no benefits.  It turned out exactly as he said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There is an important distinction to be made. Hypothetically if you are doing two cruises either B2B or a few days between and are attempting to move up one star, providing you have enough Mariner points accrued for sailing from the 1st cruise ONLY, HAL will move you to the next star (and benefits) for the second cruise. The accrued points with spending, excursions, etc. take longer to post to your account and won't be applied until HAL and credit card settles completely.

This is what the Mariner Society told me two years ago.

• Like 1

It took a while last time for me.  Seemed like 10 days or 2 weeks.  Funny thing though, my credit card seemed to be charged 5 minutes after I walked off the ship for the onboard balance.  It’s funny how efficient Hal’s systems are when it comes to that 😂😛.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

HAL said, "it doesn't matter".  I said, "I am going to book the B2B because in the end, I can stay in the same room and the B2B is cheaper".  HAL said, "either way, you will still receive your 4 star benefits". 

The agent is correct, it doesn't matter.  If you achieve 4 star during the second cruise, it will still be your next cruise before you receive benefits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

The agent is correct, it doesn't matter.  If you achieve 4 star during the second cruise, it will still be your next cruise before you receive benefits.

I guess what I meant to say if I was not clear is that during my convo with HAL, they confirmed upon completion of the first portion of the cruise; that is, the first B2B, we achieve 200 Mariner Days.  He said on the second portion of the cruise; the 2nd B2B we will be able to use our 4 star benefits.  That is when he said to go to the desk a few days in advance of completion of the 1st B2B and tell them to make sure that we can use our 4 star benefits on the second portion as we would be 4 star Mariners at that point.  Is that as clear as mud?  I don't really want to hijack this thread so I'll just leave it at that, but was just trying to share what I was told, and was hoping any of this might give some insight to the OP.  But, I am doubtful of it all now.

• Like 1

@AKJonesy It has been reported many times on this forum that on turnaround day you can get your next level Mariner status if by sailing days only, no spending bonus, you pass the number of days required for the next level. This is not technically how the rule reads, but seems to happen regularly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I guess what I meant to say if I was not clear is that during my convo with HAL, they confirmed upon completion of the first portion of the cruise; that is, the first B2B, we achieve 200 Mariner Days.  He said on the second portion of the cruise; the 2nd B2B we will be able to use our 4 star benefits.  That is when he said to go to the desk a few days in advance of completion of the 1st B2B and tell them to make sure that we can use our 4 star benefits on the second portion as we would be 4 star Mariners at that point.  Is that as clear as mud?  I don't really want to hijack this thread so I'll just leave it at that, but was just trying to share what I was told, and was hoping any of this might give some insight to the OP.  But, I am doubtful of it all now.

Aah, the mud has cleared from my eyes!  So you achieve 200 Mariner days during the first element of the B2B, then I would expect to receive the benefits on the second element as it does comply with the rules (cruise after achieving next level).

p.s. save all the laundry for the second cruise!

p.p.s. Not hijacking as it is relevant to the original question!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We've had some update very quickly - just days. Most recent cruises (Dec, Feb, May) took several weeks. Although as @sue1898 and @Florida_gal_50 mentioned the CC charges hit before we got to customs, lol.

@AKJonesy in May when we reached next level during 1st week of B2B, we did receive our card and pin during the 1st week and although Navigator still reflected the lower level (as it should) we were not charged for laundry (we were fully expecting to pay, so nice bonus). The change to higher level did not show for a couple weeks after we were home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, *Miss G* said:

When I needed 4 credits till  4*, I called the Mariner Society and was told that benefits don’t begin until the following cruise.  He said I’d be recognized with a pin during the voyage but there would be no benefits.  It turned out exactly as he said.

We didn't even get our pins in May. 😭 We did get our 100 day medallions, but no 4 pins. It took 15 days for our mariner status to change online.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, Dismomx5 said:

We didn't even get our pins in May. 😭 We did get our 100 day medallions, but no 4 pins. It took 15 days for our mariner status to change online.

I got the 4* pin but no medallion...

20 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I got the 4* pin but no medallion...

Apples and oranges.

The two "awards" (loyalty tiers and medallions) are calculated differently.

Loyalty tiers (star levels) are calculated to include actual days aboard the ships + onboard spend.  The medallions are calculated based number of days on board ONLY.  Therefore the loyalty-tier bumps always come before the medallions.  You can check your Mariner Society status on your account on the HAL site.  It will tally up the days and the onboard spend separately so you can see how close you are to either next star status or medallion award.  Hope this helps.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Apples and oranges.

The two "awards" (loyalty tiers and medallions) are calculated differently.

Loyalty tiers (star levels) are calculated to include actual days aboard the ships + onboard spend.  The medallions are calculated based number of days on board ONLY.  Therefore the loyalty-tier bumps always come before the medallions.  You can check your Mariner Society status on your account on the HAL site.  It will tally up the days and the onboard spend separately so you can see how close you are to either next star status or medallion award.  Hope this helps.

Yes, I'm aware, thank you.

The comment was made in response to @Dismomx5 stating they got the medallion but not pin; I was expressing that my experience was the opposite  - pin but no medallion (even though we're beyond the 100 days sailed milestone, too).

HAL loves them more, lol.🫣🤫

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, I'm aware, thank you.

The comment was made in response to @Dismomx5 stating they got the medallion but not pin; I was expressing that my experience was the opposite  - pin but no medallion (even though we're beyond the 100 days sailed milestone, too).

HAL loves them more, lol.🫣🤫

I was really surprised to see the medallions on the bed. They came close to the end of the cruise, pretty close to that 100th night, but I was expecting to get them the following cruise (at a ceremony??). I did want to flaunt the missing pins, though, when I embark next month. Now how will I convince the gatekeepers that we get to go in the "special" check in line?  🤣

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 5:34 PM, AKJonesy said:

Well, I called the Mariner Society number yesterday and got a different story.  I know, I know...

We are at 197 days, and I told the agent I did not want to have to wait 11 more days in 3* status on our scheduled 14 day cruise.  He said on day 3 to go to the front desk and have them submit an expedited request to the home office.  As soon as it was approved, we would get 4* benefits during the cruise. 

Note: In this day and age, it shouldn't take involvement of anyone to make this happen.  It should all be automated.  The computer knows you boarded the ship and it knows your history.  Making you wait until your next cruise or until someone punches a few keys on the computer to update you is archaic.  But time will tell.  However it all turns out, I will report back after/during the cruise...(March '24).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

Well, I called the Mariner Society number yesterday and got a different story.  I know, I know...

I'm shocked.  People are getting different stories from HAL?  LOL.  At the conclusion of my upcoming Nov 2023 trip, we will attain 4 star.  The next day, we sail on B2B and the first day of the voyage will be day 201.  I WILL go to the front desk on the first voyage and tell them exactly what I was told and to expedite the status for the next voyage.  It's a 17 day voyage, and it should not take that long, but that's my plan.  If I remember, I'll report back and tag you. 

6 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

We are at 197 days, and I told the agent I did not want to have to wait 11 more days in 3* status on our scheduled 14 day cruise.  He said on day 3 to go to the front desk and have them submit an expedited request to the home office.  As soon as it was approved, we would get 4* benefits during the cruise. 

Note: In this day and age, it shouldn't take involvement of anyone to make this happen.  It should all be automated.  The computer knows you boarded the ship and it knows your history.  Making you wait until your next cruise or until someone punches a few keys on the computer to update you is archaic.  But time will tell.  However it all turns out, I will report back after/during the cruise...(March '24).

That’s interesting, thanks for sharing! 

In the past, the Mariner Society told me if you’re within 3 days of the next star and your cruise is 21 days or longer, you can call and request the early upgrade to receive the benefits for the duration of the cruise. It has to go through an approval process. It’s good to hear they may be able to do this on 14 day sailings.

I look forward to hearing how quickly they are able to expedite your case!

Happy Sailing!