Shopping for watches while on shore in Bahamas

32 minutes ago, BND said:

There is a jewelry board called Price Scope.  I no longer go on it as it's full of all kinds of snobs, including watch ones.  There are threads with people who not only own lots of expensive jewelry, but also watches.  They treat their high end watches like expensive jewelry and believe me, they are very snobby about them.    I have some very nice jewelry, but when it comes to watches, I don't even wear my regular old Citizen Eco-Drives anymore (I have a couple of very nice ones) because I wear my fitbit everyday which is far from pretty lol.

Yeah, I frequented a watch forum for a little while years back. The snob level wasn't actually THAT bad, but I just wasn't that serious.

My "nice" watch is a Movado (gasp, horror, that's not a high end watch at all) but I love how it looks.

My everyday watch is an Invicta automatic (bigger gasp, Invictas suck). I got it on Amazon like 10 years ago for $65, it's a Rolex look-alike, it's still running, and I don't have to buy batteries. Funny anecdote, I walked into a watch outlet here in Orlando and from a distance a clerk asked if my Invicta was a Rolex. 🤣

I'm really not a jewelry guy and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks (like with most things in life). Like what you like. Never understood the reason to judge others as long as they're not harming anyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vibe said:

I wonder if there is a category for Handbags Snobs?

Yes, there is also a purse forum and it's all about designer purses, bragging and showing them off.  I can't remember the name of the forum anymore.  

• Like 2

I have two tags , and older link and an automatic carrera chronometer and my wife has the carerra chronometer with all the diamonds around the circumference . 

I bought them because i like the way they look. 🙂

I only bring the link with me when cruising and leave the carerra at home.My wife brings an alternate watch with her also. 

Anyone shopping for a watch should be aware that many sellers, especially online and 3rd party

sellers, are not likely to be authorized users. The watches they are selling MAY have been altered, such as having the serial numbers removed or "upgraded" with new diamond dials and/or bezels. This also may mean that some parts may have been replaced with non original manufacturer parts. For example, the Rolex watches sold on most cruise ships are "Certified Preowned", and do not come with MFR warranties.

Just know before you go.

Barb

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, scottgard said:

Hey there, watch enthusiasts! Quick heads up if you're browsing for timepieces, especially online or from third-party sellers.

So what’s the heads up about?

On 7/16/2023 at 12:59 AM, Merion_Mom said:

A new category:

Watch Snobs.

I'm dying. 🤣🤣🤣

If you want to get educated on HIGH end watches.  Google timepiece gentleman.  Better yet check timepiece gentleman on you tube!

16 hours ago, fenton04 said:

If you want to get educated on HIGH end watches.  Google timepiece gentleman.  Better yet check timepiece gentleman on you tube!

Isn’t he in jail for fraud!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I am not sure. He did several videos promising to pay back the 5 million. I got a drift from comments that another ponzi scheme might be in the works.

• Haha 3

On 7/15/2023 at 2:01 PM, bouhunter said:

I don't know where to start.

1,  Do you seriously think US customs is concerned about someone buying a watch for a friend and calling it "re-sale"?  Thanks for the laugh.  We've been on 40+ Caribbean cruises, taking multiple swiss watches along (Omega, Breitling, etc) each trip and buying new ones also,  NOT ONCE has customs ever looked at a single watch.  

2.  "Many" watches in the Caribbean being knock offs:  Maybe in straw markets or whatever, not in reputable jewelry stores.  Most stores are authorized dealers for what they sell.

OP - do some research on jewelry stores where you're going in the Bahama's.  But generally speaking St. Thomas, St. Martin and others are the best for both selection and price.

Agreed. I've never seen a knock off in the reputable stores. I've seen some decent prices. I've seen some not so good. Do your research before buying. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:43 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

The Bahamas is not a great place to shop for watches

Agree.  I don't think a cruise (or a visit to the islands) is a great place to buy watches, jewelry or other expensive items.  

If you have a problem with this high-end item, you have little recourse.  I'd buy from home or a reputable online vendor.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Agree.  I don't think a cruise (or a visit to the islands) is a great place to buy watches, jewelry or other expensive items.  

If you have a problem with this high-end item, you have little recourse.  I'd buy from home or a reputable online vendor.  

Not much to do in Nassau so I always head for John Bulls. They are an authorized Rolex dealer and have other luxury goods. I like to browse. But I will never buy because I can’t put my head around spending that much on a watch. If I did buy a Rolex it would be from an authorized dealer in the US.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

But I will never buy because I can’t put my head around spending that much on a watch. 

I only bought my Rolex because I got a high 5 figure bonus the year I retired. I treated myself and bought my wife what she wanted as well.

On 6/7/2024 at 2:10 PM, Seville2Cabo said:

Yes he is.  I may be a sucker, but I like to think he started as legit but then got caught up in the lifestyle and when his business couldn't support the lifestyle he  turned to fraud.

Only time I wear a "watch" is my garmin gps watch when I did my 10k walks.  I like to keep track of distance.  I don't like to wear things on my wrists and even before the advent of cell phones, I phone clocks were readily available esp. on cruise ships.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, crewsweeper said:

Personal exemption is $800 any additional amount up to $1000 has a duty rate of 3%.

But If more than a couple of watches, they'll ask what the purpose.  Hard to prove they are gifts.  Assumption would be for re-sale--which includes picking up a watch for a friend who will pay you for it.

You may be able to skirt some duty if you buy in US Virgin Islands or San Juan.  But unless you know watches, many for sale in Caribbean ore knowoffs and quality really only saves you sales tax in home state.

Provided you are not buying multiples of the same watch, I don’t believe you have an issue other than duty.  What you spend your money on is your business. 

On 7/16/2023 at 11:01 PM, Merion_Mom said:

My watch takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Yep, I wear a Timex.  Cheap and durable.

You have to wonder what the watch manufacturers all over the world are thinking.  Obviously, as a GenX I'm not young anymore, but even people my age have long stopped wearing typical watches.

Are they trying to sell as many as possible to the Boomers before they die off and resting on that?

I looked around the office and there is ONE watch that isn't a FitBit or smart watch.  One out of 30+ people.  He's retiring June 30th.  So if you're wearing a watch... isn't it just a cheap watch or is it a smart watch or a fitness tracker?

I'm sure there will always be a niche market of rich people with money to blow, but how long will watches be a legit thing?  It has to be going the way of the Dodo.