"Saturday Night Fever" on Liberty Question

Alright all, I need the collective wisdom of all Liberty cruisers! I'm thinking of booking this ship next year and my 11 year old niece will be coming with me.

I've seen half of the original movie of "Saturday Night Fever", the musical that's playing on the Liberty. From what I've heard, there's an intense scene in the second half of the movie, but it's not critical to the storyline. You bet I'll be watching the entire movie before we go (I own the movie).

My question is, is the version on the ship a family-friendly version or should we have her skip it? I really think she would enjoy the story and all the music (she LOVES anything upbeat), I just question the content in Act 2.

My niece would be fine with the music, and Auntie will teach her all the songs (I have the soundtrack).

As far as I can remember, the only storyline that *might* be sensitive is one character whose GF gets pregnant, and he falls off a bridge later in the play.  

The musical is really good, for us. 

Have seen the Liberty Saturday Night Live show several times. Am glad they still have it. I can't recall anything questionable in the show, but some folks are a lot more sensitive than I am about what they feel an eleven year old should see. For me it is just a fun, spirited show with great music. At the end the whole cast has a great, fun dancing session and invites the audience to get up and dance too. If you do stay for that, I'm sure your daughter will especially enjoy that ending dance session.

9 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Have seen the Liberty Saturday Night Live show several times. Am glad they still have it. I can't recall anything questionable in the show, but some folks are a lot more sensitive than I am about what they feel an eleven year old should see. For me it is just a fun, spirited show with great music. At the end the whole cast has a great, fun dancing session and invites the audience to get up and dance too. If you do stay for that, I'm sure your daughter will especially enjoy that ending dance session.

She's my niece, but I see and text her so often she's like a daughter to me.

On 7/20/2023 at 10:23 PM, alfaeric said:

As far as I can remember, the only storyline that *might* be sensitive is one character whose GF gets pregnant, and he falls off a bridge later in the play.  

The musical is really good, for us. 

I can't imagine how this storyline from the movie would be incorporated into a stage musical.  I would assume they would concentrate on the songs and dancing.  It is one of my favorite movies from back in the day due to the songs and dancing.  Once onboard you could ask if the show was appropriate for your niece.  They would have to disclose that the show was not appropriate for younger ages.  It was an intense part of the story, yet it didn't contribute to the main story in any way.  

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I can't imagine how this storyline from the movie would be incorporated into a stage musical.  I would assume they would concentrate on the songs and dancing.  It is one of my favorite movies from back in the day due to the songs and dancing.  Once onboard you could ask if the show was appropriate for your niece.  They would have to disclose that the show was not appropriate for younger ages.  It was an intense part of the story, yet it didn't contribute to the main story in any way.  

We just saw this show on the Liberty.   They did include the scenes you are referring to.  My 11 year old granddaughter saw the show with us and we thought it was fine for her to see.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

It’s there, and uses a BeeGees song really well because of the story. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, Another_Critic said:

Just booked Liberty.  Looking forward to seeing SNF for the 1st time.

Will most likely see We Will Rock You for the 8th time on Anthem in October.

We will rock you is absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!

• Like 3

We are on Liberty a lot, and yes, they do SNF on a 3/4 night cruises.  Honestly, I don't see anything that an 11 year old could not see.  She probably sees way worse on a normal day or on the news.  We love SNF and go every time we are on Liberty.

51 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

We are sailing on Liberty this December 26 for a three night cruise. Is Saturday night fever typically performed on a short three night cruise? Or only on the longer cruises? I hope it’s not a show that gets cut out on a three night.

Yes, they have it on the 3 and 4 nighters.  We see it all the time when we are on Liberty for our short cruises.

We watched it 2 months ago on 5 night cruise to Bermuda and have not seen anything inappropriate for kids. IMHO the whole show is not kids show, but nothing inappropriate.

Great show!!!

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 7:16 PM, RoperDK said:

I watched whole movie when we got back home. Scene is there, but it is not as intense as in the movie. I actually did not understand it completely from ship's show.

• Thanks 1