Removing one Person from Drink Package?

skatie

I have recently started some medication that advises not to drink alcohol.  Its just my husband and myself in the cabin -  Is it possible to have my husband remain on the drink package and take me off.  We sail in September, so is it possible to just get OBC for my portion of what I've paid for the gratuities for the free at sea beverage package?  I don't drink pop so wouldn't even be beneficial to move to the soda package.  Thanks

usually, ncl insists that both people in  the cabin take the beverage package. so it wouldnt hurt to give then a call.

if that fails, here's a thought:  unless your husband is a heavy drinker, and/or plans to go hog wild with the daily drinking, why dont you BOTH cancel the package? (1) thereby saving about $600 and (2) just have your husband pay as you go for his drinks. sometimes it works out a little cheaper that way.

i have personally thought about it, my wife is not a major drinker, and with the package, i tend to drink more than i normally would.

• Like 3

They require all adults sharing a cabin to be on the drink package, for obvious reasons.

Having said that, perhaps a doctor's note could persuade NCL to bend the rule in your case?

Maybe...maybe not. Might be worth a try.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, skatie said:

I have recently started some medication that advises not to drink alcohol.  Its just my husband and myself in the cabin -  Is it possible to have my husband remain on the drink package and take me off.  We sail in September, so is it possible to just get OBC for my portion of what I've paid for the gratuities for the free at sea beverage package?  I don't drink pop so wouldn't even be beneficial to move to the soda package.  Thanks

I thought I read somewhere that you can get a medical exemption with proper documentation. I'm sure someone here has some experience with that (yes or no).  I would call and ask....

However, if they do say no, you could also call them and remove the drink package from both you and your husband up to 48hrs(?) before cruise. They will credit the gratuities back and he can pay by the drink.  If he drinks 4 drinks per day it's a wash.  

Edited by JandC_Cruising
  • Like 1

I wish we could do this. My dh and I both drink but I could really get so much more use out of the Plus beverage package but my dh realky only drinks beer. I would happy give NCL my $400 extra (or whatever it us) but they wont take it because I would have to add my dh. 

Edited by js

If you do have to keep the drink package for both of you....well first, try what @JandC_Cruising said, but be sure to contact the Access Desk. If you have a doctor's note that would be even more helpful, but I don't have personal experience with this. Good luck!

Anyway, remember you can order lots of mocktails. My husband's bar tab is actually more than mine as he orders three or four sodas and five or six mocktails a day. I have two to three vodka with club soda, and maybe one or two cocktails per day. So, just remember you can take advantage of more than just soda! 

On 7/23/2023 at 10:59 AM, complawyer said:

usually, ncl insists that both people in  the cabin take the beverage package. so it wouldnt hurt to give then a call.

if that fails, here's a thought:  unless your husband is a heavy drinker, and/or plans to go hog wild with the daily drinking, why dont you BOTH cancel the package? (1) thereby saving about $600 and (2) just have your husband pay as you go for his drinks. sometimes it works out a little cheaper that way.

i have personally thought about it, my wife is not a major drinker, and with the package, i tend to drink more than i normally would.

I 2nd this suggestion. It's very likely you'll end up saving money this way.

DH is a recovering alcoholic of 35+ years and NCL has always declined the request for only one drink package for me. The only time we had it was when they didn't charge gratuities and it was truly free and even then he did not even drink the mocktails just soda so not worth it. Luckily I don't drink so much and really respect his recovery. Its a shame that NCL does not and insists that all pay regardless of situation.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bedfordmom said:

Its a shame that NCL does not and insists that all pay regardless of situation.  

Congratulations on your DH and his recovery! I also wish it were possible to have just one adult pay for the UBP (that would work well for me and my teetotalling wife), but no doubt it's required due to the likelihood that some people would cheat and share theirs with other, non-paying customers. I think it's always a pity when honest people have to pay more due to the cheaters. ☹️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zqvol said:

If you don't like them decline the package but don't advocate committing theft.

The whole point of the thread is she isn't allowed to decline the package despite a medical condition. If she is forced to pay for drinks, she ahould use them one way or another.
But thanks for riding in here and virtue signaling. I'm sure NCL will be happy to offer you a PR job.

4 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

The whole point of the thread is she isn't allowed to decline the package despite a medical condition. If she is forced to pay for drinks, she ahould use them one way or another.
But thanks for riding in here and virtue signaling. I'm sure NCL will be happy to offer you a PR job.

NCL's ship their rules. All adults in the cabin get the package or none do, the rule designed to limit sharing.

Edited by zqvol
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2023 at 10:34 AM, skatie said:

You need to consider the cost of the FAS gratuities. It is about $40 per day for two people. that amounts to about 4  or 5 drinks. If your husband will have that many then the package even with both of you paying for it is worth while, if he won't drink enough drink to cover the gratuities then opt to pay as you go.

4 minutes ago, zqvol said:

NCL's ship their rules. All adults in the cabin get the package or none do, the rule designed to limit sharing.

Obviously, that's not what were debating.  The issue is if somebody should be forced to pay for it if they won't be using it because of a medical issue that has arisen since booking.

1 hour ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Obviously, that's not what were debating.  The issue is if somebody should be forced to pay for it if they won't be using it because of a medical issue that has arisen since booking.

I can see why NCL sticks to their gun, notes can easily be forged...cut and paste the Dr's Office logo, and there you go, a nice official looking Dr's note.  

As others have said, folks sharing these packages illegally are what caused NCL to make rules like they have done.  

$40 a day isn't really all that much...buying by the drink adds up.  If you're sure your husband won't reach that, cancel the both of y'all...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

folks sharing these packages illegally are what caused NCL to make rules like they have done.  

"Illegally?"  NCL promotes unlimited beverages, that's their marketing choice.  Obviously there are asterisk's involved, but ultimately it should be about keeping the customer happy.  If I had to pay for something I wasn't using I wouldn't be happy.  IF they don't make an effort to solve problems, they shouldn't be surprised when people try to solve them themselves, one way or another.

16 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

"Illegally?"  NCL promotes unlimited beverages, that's their marketing choice.  Obviously there are asterisk's involved, but ultimately it should be about keeping the customer happy.  If I had to pay for something I wasn't using I wouldn't be happy.  IF they don't make an effort to solve problems, they shouldn't be surprised when people try to solve them themselves, one way or another.

Shoot the messenger if it pleases you. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

If I had to pay for something I wasn't using I wouldn't be happy

You don't have to pay for something you aren't using.  Simply decline the beverage package and pay as you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

You don't have to pay for something you aren't using.  Simply decline the beverage package and pay as you go.

Exactly this. No one's forcing you to buy anything. This policy is pretty standard. If you don't need it but your cabin mate does, that's a conversation between you and your cabin mate. At that point, you're paying for something your companion is using. 

There's always going to be dishonest people, so I don't know why you're upset about a policy that deters that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, carohs said:

Exactly this. No one's forcing you to buy anything. This policy is pretty standard. If you don't need it but your cabin mate does, that's a conversation between you and your cabin mate. At that point, you're paying for something your companion is using. 

There's always going to be dishonest people, so I don't know why you're upset about a policy that deters that.

It seems to me that we're dealing with a case of an inflexible policy by NCL on the one hand, and the possibility/threat of someone intentionally violating that policy, on the other. As for me, I wish there were a way I could pay only for myself and not for my wife (who drinks very little), but I wouldn't expect to find much support here (or anywhere) if I "got back at the cruise line" by giving free drinks to others under my package and then got caught. It wouldn't be worth the risk to me. I guess if someone else wants to roll the dice and see what happens, it'll be him or her who deals with the consequences, not me. *shrug* 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Things don't always work in a way that is best for the customer. For example, I want massaging seats in my next car. My wife hates massaging seats. The option box for the car is either both front seats get massaging seats (for $200 total) or neither gets massaging seats. It's either both or neither. 

Is there a $100 option for just the driver to get a massaging seat while the passenger gets a standard seat? No. 

Will the driver who wants a massaging seat be paying for something that the passenger doesn't want and will never use? Yes. 

Is there a FAS option for just guest #1 to get the PBP while guest #2 does not? No. 

Will guest #1 who wants the PBP be paying for something that guest #2 doesn't want and will never use? Yes.  

Even at Burger King, you can't always have it your way. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:01 AM, cruiseny4life said:

If you do have to keep the drink package for both of you....well first, try what @JandC_Cruising said, but be sure to contact the Access Desk. If you have a doctor's note that would be even more helpful, but I don't have personal experience with this. Good luck!

Anyway, remember you can order lots of mocktails. My husband's bar tab is actually more than mine as he orders three or four sodas and five or six mocktails a day. I have two to three vodka with club soda, and maybe one or two cocktails per day. So, just remember you can take advantage of more than just soda! 

On 7/27/2023 at 9:01 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Anybody can wright a doctors note!

• Thanks 1

Doctors’ notes by the wheelbarrow full during exam time at my high school for students who can’t write their final exams - no reason stated - just that Student X is unable to write an exam. Not free of course, I believe a doctor’s note costs $20

My disabled brother who has a seizure disorder and cerebral palsy takes medications for his siezures and cannot drink alcohol ever..........I am his caregiver...he lives withus and we will be taking him with us on our next booked cruise....it will be 3 of us and I am the only one who drinks. If I can't get at least him off the beverage package with a doctors note then we won't be getting it at all. Way too much money for just me drinking 

• Like 1