Royal Caribbean, A Lie is a Lie

Please know that I realize the “lie” within this post might seem trivial, but I am making the post anyway.  Mostly because at some point I begin to feel like Royal Caribbean, as a company, has developed a culture of creating an illusion of good intent and good value when what they are actually doing is making cut after cut without being honest and up front about it. They are decreasing the value while trying to hide the decrease from their customers. So, my example may seem trivial, but it is a clear example of my point…Royal Caribbean putting a shiny cheap cover up over a degrading product.  Case in point… I am currently on the President’s Cruise and went to get a cup of coffee at Cafe Promenade last night.  There were two containers at the coffee prep area one marked milk and one marked half and half. Knowing this subject is one of interest I tested both for what they contained.  They contained an identical product, milk.  I have read this same thing from others who has found the same thing over the past year.  So I do not believe this to be an isolated incident. Royal Caribbean, if you’re only going to provide milk and not half and half then do not lie to your customers about offering half and half as an option.  It is insulting and speaks to lack of honesty and integrity.  It makes one question what else you are not being honest about.  What other short cuts are you taking and purposely misleading your customers about?  Whereas I can accept changes and cuts as Royal tries to turn around a bad financial situation, I can not accept being lied to along the way.  If you’re going to remove a product, remove the product.  But don’t lie about it and intentionally mislead your customers.  Again, I know the “lie” might seem trivial.  My post is to speak to the greater idea that once a dog kills a chicken, it can not be trusted around chickens.  Once I am purposely misled, I then question everything.

• Like 24
  • Haha 3

What do the signs on the containers look like? Are they easily changeable?  What's behind my question is that they might need 2 containers to keep up with demand, but if they only have one marked "milk", they they simply reused the 2nd container.  However, I agree with you... there at least should be a small sign, even near the spigot saying "this container is milk".  

I'm not convinced though that this is done with intent. For sure a mistake, but I do not believe this was an active sin of deception - rather an oversight 

Edited by Toddcan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I highly doubt this is something they are doing on purpose. The staff probably don't realize its a big deal, and just fill them both with Milk.  I'm fine with negative opinions, I just think that assuming a large company is going to hide the fact that the half and half is actually milk just seems a little far fetched

Edited by Scottdalfonso
  • Like 20

17 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I highly doubt this is something they are doing on purpose. The staff probably don't realize its a big deal, and just fill them both with Milk.  I'm fine with negative opinions, I just think that assuming a large company is going to hide the fact that the half and half is actually milk just seems a little far fetched

I would agree except that this has been discussed in the past and it does, in fact, appear to be a fleet wide practice that is deceptive at best.  In Cafe Promenade, in the Main Dining Room, in the Windjammer.  Many have commented that what is marked as half and half is, in fact, milk.  An isolated incident would speak to what you say, but a fleet wide and consistent practice speaks more to intentional misleading.

• Like 8

Another example of this same misleading practice from Royal is that they insist on keeping the “Crab Cake” on their menu when it has been Imitation Krab for quite some time.  Call it what it is, a seafood cake.  To call it a Crab Cake is purposely misleading and another example of decreasing value and product while trying to maintain the appearance of an elevated product that you no longer provide.  In less wordy terms, it is a lie.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

What do the signs on the containers look like? Are they easily changeable?  What's behind my question is that they might need 2 containers to keep up with demand, but if they only have one marked "milk", they they simply reused the 2nd container.  However, I agree with you... there at least should be a small sign, even near the spigot saying "this container is milk".  

I'm not convinced though that this is done with intent. For sure a mistake, but I do not believe this was an active sin of deception - rather an oversight 

I would agree except this has been discussed on these forums and it appears this “half and half” mislabeling has been fleet wide and consistent in Cafe Promenade, Main Dining Room, and Windjammer.  Mine is not an isolated incident, but a verification of the situation as has been repeatedly reported.

• Like 2

We don't know whether this particular incident was intentional and ongoing or whether it was a mistake that happened once -- the real question is whether it's a pattern.  

What bothers me more is the cutbacks in housekeeping coupled with the increase in gratuities.  And cutback on food in the MDR -- refusing to bring two appetizers at once, for example.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Did you you go ask for the half and half and point out their mistake? Coming on here and accusing them of an intentional lie seems unjust until fully investigated.  

I am reporting my anecdotal experience on this forum where it has been discussed in the past and I am adding verification of the mislabeling that appears to be fleetwide.  This post is not about my inability to manage the situation while aboard, but adding my perspective to a conversation of what appears to be intestinal misleading as has been discussed repeatedly on this forum.  If you aren’t aware of the historical conversations then this might not be obvious to you.

• Like 6

Perhaps this was just an oversight on an employee's part. Perhaps this was just filling both containers with milk as half/half was not available at the time or at that location. 

The way to know for sure was to ASK.  

While this may have been an annoyance (at best) and I get it, but it could have been rectified in real time.  I remember preparing a bowl of delicious fruit and beside the offerings was a large container of what I thought was whipped cream - turned out it was sour cream.  I plopped on a huge portion over my fruit, sat down, took a bite of peaches and "cream" - GAH!  I simply returned to one of the attendants, let them know what was happening and they corrected the error.  

Calling it a lie, IMO, is an overreach.

• Like 13

Since you are on the President's cruise, what better than reaching to them( or team) directly, taking them to your area of concern and resolving it with them onboard. I agree with the above poster to try resolving your concern on board. No need to do this milk drama here! It only stirs a pot here, but you can achieve a solution on board and let everyone know the outcome.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SteadyBetty said:

Perhaps this was just an oversight on an employee's part. Perhaps this was just filling both containers with milk as half/half was not available at the time or at that location. 

While this may have been an annoyance (at best) and I get it, but it could have been rectified in real time.  I remember preparing a bowl of delicious fruit and beside the offerings was a large container of what I thought was whipped cream - turned out it was sour cream.  I plopped on a huge portion over my fruit, sat down, took a bite of peaches and "cream" - GAH!  I simply returned to one of the attendants, let them know what was happening and they corrected the error.  

This post is not about my not being able to access half and half.  It is about the historical and fleetwide intentional misleading of the customer as has been reported in these forums over and over.  My post is adding my anecdotal experience to that conversation.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, SteadyBetty said:

If people would take a minute to read the comments, and replies, before posting they would see that this post is not about my not being able to access half and half.  It is about the historical and fleetwide intentional misleading of the customer as has been reported in these forums over and over.  My post is adding my anecdotal experience to that conversation

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, SailorMarg said:

If people would take a minute to read the comments, and replies, before posting they would see that this post is not about my not being able to access half and half.  It is about the historical and fleetwide intentional misleading of the customer as has been reported in these forums over and over.  My post is adding my anecdotal experience to that conversation

You've posted the same thing 3 times in a row. Instead of going to pieces over something and making bold accusations about deception maybe ask first. It could be one of a million reasons the container was filled wrong. Yes one of those reasons could be intentional but you don't know that as you've done nothing to look in to it and chose to come here and complain using hyperbole to try and make a point. 

People can handle criticism. What they get tired of is baseless accusations and reasons to complain. Royal has what...30 ships....10s of thousands of employees cruising every day of the year. It's possible mistakes happen and they are duplicated across ships. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, SailorMarg said:

I guess you have to be right all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, SailorMarg said:

This post is not about my not being able to access half and half.  It is about the historical and fleetwide intentional misleading of the customer as has been reported in these forums over and over.  My post is adding my anecdotal experience to that conversation

You keep repeating the same thing. Since you’re still on the cruise why don’t you complain to the big wigs and let them know how you feel. Maybe they will get it corrected. You can also let them know it’s been reported on other ships.

• Like 12

One should be allowed to say anything they want to on here, negative or not...JMHO...but we know that is not the case.  However, I should be allowed to say....trivial is an understatement here. Use of the word "intentional" is the rub.  You do not possibly know that to be true.  I never get a kink in my tail over this kind of thing.  You don't know what happened, it could've been just a mistake, or a tired worker who just wasn't paying attention.  I would've turned around, asked for a "half n half" and been completely happy.  Attitude is everything, but OP is entitled to think, feel and say anything they like.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 8

58 minutes ago, SailorMarg said:

Another example of this same misleading practice from Royal is that they insist on keeping the “Crab Cake” on their menu when it has been Imitation Krab for quite some time.  Call it what it is, a seafood cake.  To call it a Crab Cake is purposely misleading and another example of decreasing value and product while trying to maintain the appearance of an elevated product that you no longer provide.  In less wordy terms, it is a lie.

Maybe that's why I dont much like it. Seems mushy, and i want crisp too though.

There are lots of signs they are about the money, not about the pax. They got more pax than they care to cater to. 

Used to match people up for seating at big tables in Mdr.

Giving me a studio when i paid a solo supplement last January. I no showed. 

I have that email dated last year denying me obc for decreased and missed port. Says they dont refill once you lock in fees and taxes .. they are breaking their own policy to rebill people for bahamas.

Cruise if you want to, or dont. Rcl is not for pax, we know they dont care. Their goal is to turn things around and get back to profitability. I agree they are a dishonest company. I put no faith in their honesty.

• Like 2