Elite/Suite priority line at embarkation

diverward

Good morning all, just wondering with all these new changes for embarkation (Green Lane Blue Lane etc.) does the priority line for Elite/Suite guests still exist? Or do we have to go with everyone else? And if this is the case is there still a priority lounge at the pier?

Also does anyone with the Plus and Premium Package get priority embarkation as well?

This is new so maybe answers will come in later.

Thanks for your answers. Have a great day and happy cruising.

Priority embarkation for suites and Platinum/Elite.  Priority lounge in most terminals.  No priority embarkation for Plus or Premier.  Keep in mind that things change rapidly in this new Princess world. lol

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, joeydolan11 said:

I was curious about this, I am booked in a mini suite Reserve Collection and it still advertises Priority Embarkation?  

check-in and boarding are 2 different occurrences until boarding has begun and the crowds are gone

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, voljeep said:

check-in and boarding are 2 different occurrences until boarding has begun and the crowds are gone

Right.

Two lines for check-in: Have Medallion or do not have it yet. (Green vs Blue)

If boarding has not yet started, separate waiting areas based on CC status or type cabin (suite,etc.) with boarding by priority one it starts.

If boarding has started, go directly from check-in to ship no matter what your CC or cabin type.

• Like 2

I think it all depends on the port.

Have and have nots (medallion in hand).

Los Angeles:  check in, security, elite/suite lounge.

FLL:  security, check in, elite/suite lounge.

Post/post/post changes:  Who knows?  I believe the holder of the keys is the one who has/has not a medallion will be sorted out.  Don't know when that will happen.  

My take:  One long line until your are divided into privileged and not privileged.  This must be a nightmare for the agents (who are NOT Princess employees).  They are the front line and have to deal with the disgruntled. 

May 2023 FLL - Terminal 2

Arrived at the port just before 11.  2 lines outside the building - Priority and everyone else.  Once inside the building everyone was in the same line.  Things moved quickly and we were checked in and headed to the priority lounge but they were boarding and redirected us to the ship.  We were onboard by 11:15.  And, BTW, we already had our medallions.

We'll see how it goes in November.  I think they are still trying to figure it out.

• Thanks 2

On 8/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, joeydolan11 said:

I was curious about this, I am booked in a mini suite Reserve Collection and it still advertises Priority Embarkation?  

Yes, you are correct.  Post #2 omitted that one.  Reserve (formerly Club Class) used to be same boarding priority as Platinum guests.  Top priority is Suite guests and Elite guests.

Does anyone have info on the San Francisco setup with Princess.   We're on the Ruby leaving Sept 4th in a suite (first time in one) and we're supposed to get priority boarding.   i saw elsewhere that we might be able to get onboard as early as 1030am, though I dont' see that really happening.   

Just now, EvilGrandpa said:

Does anyone have info on the San Francisco setup with Princess.   We're on the Ruby leaving Sept 4th in a suite (first time in one) and we're supposed to get priority boarding.   I saw elsewhere that we might be able to get onboard as early as 1030am, though I don't see that really happening.   

On a normal day you could count on boarding starting by 11:00am.  They could beat that sometimes somewhat, but 11am is the standard expectation these days.

9 minutes ago, EvilGrandpa said:

Does anyone have info on the San Francisco setup with Princess.   We're on the Ruby leaving Sept 4th in a suite (first time in one) and we're supposed to get priority boarding.   i saw elsewhere that we might be able to get onboard as early as 1030am, though I dont' see that really happening.   

We cruise out of SF quite often and are going in a few days.  So, if there are any updates, I will come back here to post about them.  
With that being said, the way it usually works in the port of SF, or at least at Pier 27, there is no priority given for the security line.  Once you get through security, you will be directed to the green lane or blue lane for check in.  The green lane check in stands are in the middle of the room and are there for those that have their medallions.  The blue lane check in is against the wall and are for those that have to pick up their medallions at the port.  Sometimes, the blue line moves faster than the green line and vice versa.  
Anyway, once you go through check in, you are guided to a specific area to be seated if they haven’t cleared the ship for boarding yet.  There is a small seating area for elite and suite passengers that has a table set up with juice, water, coffee, tea and danishes.  
When the ship is cleared for boarding, those on a B2B are let back on first.  The passengers in full suites go next, if there are any special groups, such as wedding parties, etc., they go next and then elite status passengers are allowed to board.  Boarding usually begins around 11:00 AM but could be later depending upon delays from the previous cruise.  We usually get to the port between 10:45 and 11:15 AM are usually have no or very little wait in that lounge area once we’ve passed through all the steps above.  
If you’re at Pier 35, which I don’t think you will be, all bets are off!  I avoid cruises that leave out of Pier 35 at all costs.  

• Like 3

Thanks Steelers36 & Cruise Raider.   I'm not sure which pier we'll be leaving from but I guess I'll find out soon enough.   We're flying into SF the Friday before so will try to take a look at the pier area before embarcation - or at least via google maps.   We're planning on arriving about 11am on embarcation day, though with arrival groups going away we may just wait til later on.   

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We cruise out of SF quite often and are going in a few days.  So, if there are any updates, I will come back here to post about them.  
With that being said, the way it usually works in the port of SF, or at least at Pier 27, there is no priority given for the security line.  Once you get through security, you will be directed to the green lane or blue lane for check in.  The green lane check in stands are in the middle of the room and are there for those that have their medallions.  The blue lane check in is against the wall and are for those that have to pick up their medallions at the port.  Sometimes, the blue line moves faster than the green line and vice versa.  
Anyway, once you go through check in, you are guided to a specific area to be seated if they haven’t cleared the ship for boarding yet.  There is a small seating area for elite and suite passengers that has a table set up with juice, water, coffee, tea and danishes.  
When the ship is cleared for boarding, those on a B2B are let back on first.  The passengers in full suites go next, if there are any special groups, such as wedding parties, etc., they go next and then elite status passengers are allowed to board.  Boarding usually begins around 11:00 AM but could be later depending upon delays from the previous cruise.  We usually get to the port between 10:45 and 11:15 AM are usually have no or very little wait in that lounge area once we’ve passed through all the steps above.  
If you’re at Pier 35, which I don’t think you will be, all bets are off!  I avoid cruises that leave out of Pier 35 at all costs.  

Our last SF cruise the line just to get into the terminal was so long at noon that we went across the street to Fog City and had lunch then boarded later

I boarded at Pier 27 this past May,  I got there at about 11:00 am.  The line was out the door and around the corner.  There was only two lines before security, one for those who had their Medallions and other long line for those without.  I did not see an area for waiting.  Yes, as an Elite I was very surprised.  Others in line were surprised too.    

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

My DW and I boarded the Royal out of Pier 27 in March.

Based on our experience, here's an observation (bit of advice)...know that SF is very short of cabs. 

Also, Pier 27 gets VERY congested at embarkation, since there is little room for the cabs to move and position themselves to drop of fares.  Also, the traffic minders will stop and cab and "ask" the passengers to get out before getting close to the luggage handlers.  We had to walk about 50 yards with all of our luggage.

Moral of the story...the earlier you get there, the better off you are, even if it means sitting in the terminal for an additional 30-60 minutes.

When I sailed out of San Pedro in July, it was a mess finding the suite / elite lounge.  Someone gave us each a card that said suite on it.  Different people told us to go different directions.  Finally someone said to go sit over there (platinum).  I looked around and saw the elite.  I went in there.  When someone came around checking cards they said it must say elite.  I showed them mine and they said that's fine and continued on.

I have a cruise booked out of Galveston next year and wondering how it's going to be there.  I'll be sailing in a suite again.

8 minutes ago, jimd909 said:

I have a cruise booked out of Galveston next year and wondering how it's going to be there.  I'll be sailing in a suite again.

Last December:

Two lines -- have Medallion and do not have Medallion

After check-in if boarding has not started a waiting area for Elite/Suite with refreshments, a waiting area for Platinum & Cluc Class without refreshments, and a waiting area for all others.

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Our last SF cruise the line just to get into the terminal was so long at noon that we went across the street to Fog City and had lunch then boarded later

I’m not sure when that was but there were some really horrendous lines in SF due to some CoVid restrictions in California for a while.  If not that, if there was a cruise ship down at Pier 35, too … that also makes such a mess.  Thankfully, our last few cruises from there haven’t been hit with any long delays.  

SF Pier 27 Aug. 5th

I'm Elite, didn't have Medallion had to go in blue line, said Elite line doesn't have Medallions.

If have Medallion can go in Elite line. We've earned Elite line but they want their $10.

But does it really matter because if you have  PP and Medallion can go in Elite line.

Also this was suppose to start Aug. 15th on the Ruby. Maybe only thing that was early.

Didn't charge for room service.

7 hours ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

My DW and I boarded the Royal out of Pier 27 in March.

Based on our experience, here's an observation (bit of advice)...know that SF is very short of cabs. 

Also, Pier 27 gets VERY congested at embarkation, since there is little room for the cabs to move and position themselves to drop of fares.  Also, the traffic minders will stop and cab and "ask" the passengers to get out before getting close to the luggage handlers.  We had to walk about 50 yards with all of our luggage.

Moral of the story...the earlier you get there, the better off you are, even if it means sitting in the terminal for an additional 30-60 minutes.

We were on the Royal in March as well.  I believe it was the March 27th sailing to Hawaii.  We may have been on a different cruise as we walked right through security, checked in and walked right onto the ship.  I swear, the whole process took us about 10 minutes!  We got there right around 11:15 AM .. it was such a breeze!  
We took a local limo service as we were traveling with a group.  The luggage handlers were right there at drop off!  We’ve seen where the cabs drop off and yes, it is not right there in front of the terminal.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The passengers in full suites go next, if there are any special groups, such as wedding parties, etc., they go next and then elite status passengers are allowed to board.

Interesting sometimes to see the variations depending on ports and some west coast reports have seemed "off" to me.  In Port Everglades, Elites & Suites have been combined/mixed in my experiences.  The earliest guests in the first grouping and later arrivals next group.  I have not seen a wedding party in ages, but they used to go on well ahead - like when they used to have the BVE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Interesting sometimes to see the variations depending on ports and some west coast reports have seemed "off" to me.  In Port Everglades, Elites & Suites have been combined/mixed in my experiences.  The earliest guests in the first grouping and later arrivals next group.  I have not seen a wedding party in ages, but they used to go on well ahead - like when they used to have the BVE.

We just had a wedding party down in Los Angeles last month and they did board early just like you said, like when they have the BVE!  We waited in line for quite some time there after they were allowed to board.  

In SF last year, there was a travel agent group and they all boarded before any of the other groups.  

Of note, the Port of LA won’t allow passengers to bring any food that isn’t factory sealed onboard.  So, if you have a gift for your favorite crew member in a ‘to go box’ from a restaurant, you were made to dump it.  We got special permission to take a whole meal for 15 for a birthday party for one of the crew members in SF .. they never said a word at security.  
interesting differences based on the embarkation port.  

• Thanks 1

In San Francisco, my main boarding port, there is a separate waiting area for Elite/Platinum, but even if you're the 1st in the terminal, people are crowd around the boarding door, so from my experience it doesn't really matter when you board as people have entered 45 minutes after I did & still boarded first.

Suggestion from my experience, in San Francisco, is to get there before they open up the terminal & I've never experienced a long line into the terminal as others have had boarding later.

Tom

Edited by trbarton
  • Thanks 1