Older vs Younger

georgiaguy

I'd like to provide some insight on kids as a previous daycare worker, if we're speaking around those that are able to talk, walk/run, play with other kids essentially. I have to say my style is more empathy and only communication, so it's pretty hard when there's a really, really disobedient child.

You can have 10 kids that are generally polite or follow rules correctly.

It takes 1 kid to influence all of that, or slowly trickle all the other kids to a slippery slope of adventure/fun, bordering between breaking rules like running in hordes or just going to rooms they shouldn't be. None of them have bad intentions, it's just i think they want to experience doing things or have curiosity get the best of them. Independent kids or kids who are disciplined well don't become affected by this, or kids who receive enough attention/rewards (when appropriate like good behavior).

Now if the kids keep close to the parents they generally don't act rambunctious, I think it's a lot like "following the leader." They need a good role model, etc.

This usually happens when they're bored though, and they form their little kid groups if they're allowed on their own/friends at the sea camps. I remember being a kid and just following the older group of kids around, lol. And honestly there is peer pressure sometimes, but this was a lower budget cruise. I'm not sure how many times this happen in celebrity, my only experience was kids excitedly talking to each other in the back and being noisy, but the parents were like, "You have to be quiet during a show!" And they basically quieted down after that. It just takes at least a parent or guardian to watch over them, and they're basically no issue.

I hope this provides some more insight...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2023 at 1:53 PM, hubofhockey said:

We started taking more cruises in our 30s and 40s.  It's us who have moved on as we got older.  We never expected the cruise lines to keep catering to us as we got older.  That makes no sense.  We took our kids on plenty of Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises because they were good family lines.  In our 40s and 50s, started Princess and the Celebrity.  Now, would much rather be on Azamara, Oceania, and will try Viking.  

It's not a question of the cruise lines catering to us as we got older.  It is Celebrity who is changing so much, not the older passengers.  Why is it ok that they are now catering to the younger crowd?  It is sad and disappointing to see them becoming so much different than they were (and I'm not talking about changes that one would reasonably expect due to keeping up with modern technology and lifestyle and the like).  And the sadder part is that they are turning into Royal without the water slides (on the ship at least).  There already is a Royal, why do they need to turn Celebrity into another version of it?  For the record I started cruising on Celebrity in my early 50's and have been very loyal (more than 70 cruises) and loved the vibe and the ambiance.  They are the ones changing - it is not me asking for them to change to "cater to us".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2023 at 7:05 PM, horseymike said:

. Mind you we like kids bu

On 8/9/2023 at 7:05 PM, horseymike said:

Mind you we like kids but 

BUT I could never eat a whole one 😂😂

Edited by swigso
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2023 at 3:31 PM, Mike981 said:

On children today and speaking of daycare, we have had one for close to 30 years and the parenting style today seems to be more "don't upset the child for any reason." It's like the distant aunt and uncle are raising the kids and want to make sure that they are the child's favorite aunt and uncle. There are so many age appropriate skills that children don't have today, like an almost five year old that doesn't know how to eat at the table, or how to use a spoon or fork. A three year old that doesn't know how to use the stairs because the parents still carry them everywhere. Or when children are stunned that an adult told them they can't do/have whatever they want when they want it. This is our current experience and things have changed dramatically for the worse over the past three decades. I like to think of it as trickle down parenting skills that are getting worse with each generation.

With all of that said (boy did I get wordy- sorry), we do NOT blame the children. It's all on the parents and of course we make exceptions for children with special needs and work hard to help them grow.

My husband and I recently went out to dinner and watched a couple with 3 young children (guessing 5-9 years old) get seated. Mom pulled out iPads for each child and set them up. The couple spent the meal talking while the kids were locked in to their cartoons. My favorite part of cruising with my kids (they started at 3 and 5 years old) were the dinners where we all got dressed up, they knew how to behave and we interacted the entire time. Nowadays I even see adults sitting across from each other while dining at sea, eyes locked on their phones. That’s the example that many young kids have these days. Guess I’m officially OLD, as I miss the good old days.

6 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

My husband and I recently went out to dinner and watched a couple with 3 young children (guessing 5-9 years old) get seated. Mom pulled out iPads for each child and set them up. The couple spent the meal talking while the kids were locked in to their cartoons. My favorite part of cruising with my kids (they started at 3 and 5 years old) were the dinners where we all got dressed up, they knew how to behave and we interacted the entire time. Nowadays I even see adults sitting across from each other while dining at sea, eyes locked on their phones. That’s the example that many young kids have these days. Guess I’m officially OLD, as I miss the good old days.

Not always kids fault like here it is the parents.

Went to lunch at a nice new to us restaurant today.  Good meal.  Just as we’re about to order dessert an employee or manager sets up next to us and takes a short conference call that was louder than it needed to be.  Then proceeds to interview someone at the next table.

My favorite part is when all the kids play their videos at full volume.  Not a problem in a loud place with just one.  But painful in a quiet room even with tinnitus.

I still like kids.  I think I like dogs better, though.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 3

I like having kids around when they are well behaved.  But I don't like cruising on Royal because you have teens running around the hallways at 1 AM waking people up...  Not my idea of a peaceful vacation.  Some parents are missing in action and believe in a minimum set of rules.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike981 said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

I can understand that point of view, my line of thought is I don’t usually blame the kids but that they were parented or raised that way. There are VERY troublesome and spoiled ones out there that I have come across…And their parents coddle that behavior…

Edited by numnums
Not finished
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hobbsey said:

So this topic sure got highjacked.  

I actually think it is still kinda on topic. I was talking about being 40 with young kids and there is a lot of discussion on whether celebrity is the company for me and my family. 

2 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Not always kids fault like here it is the parents.

Went to lunch at a nice new to us restaurant today.  Good meal.  Just as we’re about to order dessert an employee or manager sets up next to us and takes a short conference call that was louder than it needed to be.  Then proceeds to interview someone at the next table.

My favorite part is when all the kids play their videos at full volume.  Not a problem in a loud place with just one.  But painful in a quiet room even with tinnitus.

I still like kids.  I think I like dogs better, though.

My DW and I talk about all the quality time parents are losing when they are driving and talking/texting on their phone and not connecting with their children. They will even sit in our driveway for an extended time making their child wait to go play with their friends before they make the effort to bring them to daycare.

BTW, we are going to pick up a rescue dog tomorrow. Very excited!

1 hour ago, numnums said:

I can understand that point of view, my line of thought is I don’t usually blame the kids but that they were parented or raised that way. There are VERY troublesome and spoiled ones out there that I have come across…And their parents coddle that behavior…

That is why I added what I did at the end of my post.

what’s clear to me from reading this is there is no winning as a parent these days. None of the “older” generation have parented in a digital world. Screens are everywhere, the expectation that we are available to our jobs instantly is everywhere. Don’t like it? Good luck finding a job that pays enough where they don’t expect it. Own your own business? Even more demand to be constantly connected because if you’re not, your clients will go somewhere else. And then when you try to use something like an iPad to keep your kids quiet and not disturb other people, you get judged for being a lazy parent, or for not interacting with your kids. Yet if you don’t give them a tablet, heaven forbid they make a noise in the dining room! Then you’re judged because your kid is being loud. 

you get judged if you’re too much of a helicopter parent. And you get judged if you’re too laid back. Heck, I got judged on our cruise the other day cause I sat my almost 4 and almost 5 yo down at a table with their food and went back to the buffet for a couple minutes to get something. They were always in my sight line and they were totally fine. And then I got told from another passenger that I shouldn’t have left them alone. I’m sorry I don’t have 30 hands, and I’m not going to trust my kids to carry a plate in a crowded buffet without spilling when they’re too short to even be in most people’s sight lines. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, soozles said:

what’s clear to me from reading this is there is no winning as a parent these days. None of the “older” generation have parented in a digital world. Screens are everywhere, the expectation that we are available to our jobs instantly is everywhere. Don’t like it? Good luck finding a job that pays enough where they don’t expect it. Own your own business? Even more demand to be constantly connected because if you’re not, your clients will go somewhere else. And then when you try to use something like an iPad to keep your kids quiet and not disturb other people, you get judged for being a lazy parent, or for not interacting with your kids. Yet if you don’t give them a tablet, heaven forbid they make a noise in the dining room! Then you’re judged because your kid is being loud. 

you get judged if you’re too much of a helicopter parent. And you get judged if you’re too laid back. Heck, I got judged on our cruise the other day cause I sat my almost 4 and almost 5 yo down at a table with their food and went back to the buffet for a couple minutes to get something. They were always in my sight line and they were totally fine. And then I got told from another passenger that I shouldn’t have left them alone. I’m sorry I don’t have 30 hands, and I’m not going to trust my kids to carry a plate in a crowded buffet without spilling when they’re too short to even be in most people’s sight lines. 

Amen. My hero!

38 minutes ago, soozles said:

You be you. Try to ignore the idiots. And my general response can’t be repeated…

And my reply to some anonymous passenger who dared comment would likely have been a blunt expletive deleted…

Edited by markeb
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, markeb said:

You be you. Try to ignore the idiots. And my general response can’t be repeated…

And my reply to some anonymous passenger who dared comment would likely have been a blunt expletive deleted…

So are your teens the ones running around on Royal at 1 AM ?   These are the real idiots.  They should be banned in all 50.  No rules.  No discipline.

Now the IPAD method of parenting does not affect me.  But I would choose a REAL parent.  

Too many negatives from growing up in the world of posing for social media. 

Real people.  Real conversations.   That is a bonus for my generation.  

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

Now if there were not teens running around Royal at 1 PM perhaps this would not be an issue,  but it is.  Count me in the group that sails on a cruise ship with a minimum amount of kids.  If all of the parents were disciplined perhaps this would not be an issue, but it is.  Some of the slackers ruin it for all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

So are your teens the ones running around on Royal at 1 AM ?   These are the real idiots.  They should be banned in all 50.  No rules.  No discipline.

Now the IPAD method of parenting does not affect me.  But I would choose a REAL parent.  

Too many negatives from growing up in the world of posing for social media. 

Real people.  Real conversations.   That is a bonus for my generation.  

Nothing in their post dealt with teens running around at 1 AM? Why even bring that in? We’re not talking about your generation. Get over it!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, markeb said:

Nothing in their post dealt with teens running around at 1 AM? Why even bring that in? We’re not talking about your generation. Get over it!

The IPAD method of parenting.  LOL  Yet we are talking about your generation with the teens disrupting the cruise due to running around the ship at 1 AM and waking everyone up.

A total lack of discipline.

Sigh.

There would not be a generational split on the Celebrity boards if the younger generation had well behaved kids.  Most of them do,  but the slackers that do not ruin it for all.

Edited by NMTraveller

25 minutes ago, markeb said:

And let us address this in a more general sense.  Perhaps if there were not the teens running around the ship at 1 AM,  perhaps this would not be a topic.  But the lack of parenting does affect the cruise in many ways.

As for the e world...not that hard if parents set the tone..just like rules at school!

For meals (home or out) our grands know  tablets are turned  off  once food is served.. Of course the grown ups must follow their own rules too.

Sadly, where we live,  some casual dining places have tvs on ( sports, news,  cartoons) so  that is a distraction not easy to escape.

things will quiet down on ships once school starts..which it has in some areas..then it's the hurricanes  Carib cruisers will worry about .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soozles said:

You talk about kids being loud in the dining room.  Or really their devices being loud.  You have two kids.  Do they share a tablet or do they both sit there listening at full volume? Yes, noise can be irritating.