Selbourne Live from Iona!

Selbourne

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

P&O have gone for the light and airy feel, with big windows providing views of, let me think???.... the empty ocean!!!

Personally I would have preferred the Princess approach with lots of bars and eateries around the outside and plenty of seating, and then regular entertainment with groups providing music for lots of dancing every evening.

After all there is the massive promenade deck providing lots of seating for the ocean watchers.

Very popular with those with inside cabins though.  If, as reported by Mr Ludlow in one of his reports to the press, his biggest seller is the inside cabins on Iona and Arvia you can see the attraction particularly on cruises where the weather can be iffy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ParisHilton said:

I was wondering, and I guess it's not cruise specific. But how do wheelchair users reach the top buttons in a lift?

They stand up, push them, then sit back down again.🤭

Seriously though, more often than not they would be with a carer/partner; otherwise, if they were alone, they would have to rely on a stranger doing it.  Another example of designers not thinking about all the needs of wheelchair users. Then again, thinking about Selbourne's response from the lady in Guest Services, wheelchair users appear not to matter to P&O. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Angel57 said:

@Selbourne

I cannot understand P&Os lack of public announcements, signs and empathy regarding wheelchair users on your cruise and the only reason that buzzes round my mind is they want these ships to be perceived as fun family ships for the young and agile. I hope I’m wrong, but....

Taking into account the spending power of the purple pound, you would think that, when designing Iona and Arvia, they would have included more accessible cabins in order to tap into that resource. But no! Those two ships only have 55 accessible cabins, and 20 of those are classed as only partially accessible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

I was wondering, and I guess it's not cruise specific. But how do wheelchair users reach the top buttons in a lift?

By asking wonderful people like us who are more than happy to assist should they need help 🙂

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you want a power chair Selbourne we have a nearly new one sitting in my sons garage which my wife never really got the hang of controlling.

That’s immensely kind of you John, but my wife saw a consultant recently who warned that as her hands are starting to go the same way as her legs, in a few years she may need some power assistance even to get around the house, so he’s authorised that she can have a bespoke one on the NHS. She is understandably resisting at present and I cope with pushing her around elsewhere without difficulty. Your offer is sincerely appreciated though 👍

• Like 17

One of the things I found out about the atrium on Iona apart from the total lack of atmosphere was…..

In some ports,,,I’m talking about an overnight in February in either Hamburg or Rotterdam they open both doors to the gangway to exit the ship.

At the time it was -2 deg outside,,,,those doors being open all night meant you had to put on warm coats to sit in the atrium,,,,it was freezing!.

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

Taking into account the spending power of the purple pound, you would think that, when designing Iona and Arvia, they would have included more accessible cabins in order to tap into that resource. But no! Those two ships only have 55 accessible cabins, and 20 of those are classed as only partially accessible. 

I would love to see more accessible cabins, but you have to appreciate that there has to be a limit to seriously immobile passengers just in case there is an emergency leading to an  abandon ship.

In addition of course for every 2 accessible cabins a cruise line can fit in 3 standard cabins, which does have a  financial implication.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I would love to see more accessible cabins, but you have to appreciate that there has to be a limit to seriously immobile passengers just in case there is an emergency leading to an  abandon ship.

In addition of course for every 2 accessible cabins a cruise line can fit in 3 standard cabins, which does have a  financial implication.

I see where you're coming from John, and I've no doubt that Carnival would cite the H&S in an emergency as a reason. That said, it's probably the latter reason that motivates them not to provide more; extra berths equals extra income.

IMO, many things that wheelchair users need, are also useful for families with buggies. Bearing in mind that young families are supposed to be the target marker for Iona and 'Our Vera' one would think that advice re which exit to use at ports etc would be generally helpful.

As an aside, I do like the 'disembarkation' button in the lift which saves having to remember which deck is being used today!

I am not a permanent wheelchair user but absolutely love my powerchair. I hate being dependent on my OH to decide where I go and when, especially as we often do different things during the day.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

IMO, many things that wheelchair users need, are also useful for families with buggies. Bearing in mind that young families are supposed to be the target marker for Iona and 'Our Vera' one would think that advice re which exit to use at ports etc would be generally helpful.

As an aside, I do like the 'disembarkation' button in the lift which saves having to remember which deck is being used today!

I am not a permanent wheelchair user but absolutely love my powerchair. I hate being dependent on my OH to decide where I go and when, especially as we often do different things during the day.

That’s a good point. I can’t say I’ve noticed the disembarkation button. I’ll

try to remember to look tomorrow (unless it’s just on Arvia)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Very popular with those with inside cabins though.  If, as reported by Mr Ludlow in one of his reports to the press, his biggest seller is the inside cabins on Iona and Arvia you can see the attraction particularly on cruises where the weather can be iffy.

As a carnival shareholder, if that is true , that biggest seller is cheapest cabins, then Mr Ludlow doesn't deserve his bonus. 

There is something wrong with design or marketing of big ships if cabins that sell out first are dearest suites (smallest % only 1% of cabins) and  very cheapest inside.  Traditional cruisers who like balcony seem to on the main , but not all prefer the older ships. This makes it hard to decide on other things, e.g. balance of traditional MDR , vs diner , Quays etc , vs speciality restaurants 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s a good point. I can’t say I’ve noticed the disembarkation button. I’ll

try to remember to look tomorrow (unless it’s just on Arvia)

Nope, on Iona too. Just press the star button.

• Like 2

I am a retired Headteacher and got into trouble on Iona recently for putting out my arm to prevent rushing at lifts so someone in a wheelchair could get on first.  One man started chopping at my arm with his hand until I told him to cease and desist.

I really get this as I am currently temporarily disabled having an injury which makes it very difficult for me to walk and climb stairs. Prior to this I never used lifts. My injury will heal with time and physiotherapy,  but it's  really made me think about those not in such a fortunate position and I'd  rather leave early to get somewhere and make sure I stick up for the wheelchair users!

By the way, as a foodie I loved Iona. On her again in November. 

Edited by Clodia
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

It took us quite a long while to figure out what the star button was for.  (It's an in family joke of 'starfish'

and 'not starfish' so that was known as the starfish button and we were desperate to try it!

horizon and the Quays are a bit busy to be comfortably navigated in a wheel chair.  I can see why you were asking about how busy it was there.  Out on deck seemed fine to me. Again I wasn't really thinking about it, but I can't imagine more than one or two, slightly compromising moments where you have to wait for someone to pass or vice versa.

I'll be curious to know if both the gangways are wheelchair accessible. there always seemed to be a sign for the one at the front of the ship. I think that might connect to deck 3, where midships was higher (4).  We initially assumed the front was exclusively for wheelchairs but soon discovered when getting back on that it was often quieter.

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That’s immensely kind of you John, but my wife saw a consultant recently who warned that as her hands are starting to go the same way as her legs, in a few years she may need some power assistance even to get around the house, so he’s authorised that she can have a bespoke one on the NHS. She is understandably resisting at present and I cope with pushing her around elsewhere without difficulty. Your offer is sincerely appreciated though 👍

Sorry to hear this Selbourne, just got to keep going and support where we can, but life can be cruel.

Bonus with cruising is that some one else is cooking, and others are doing the laundry .Enjoy the rest of your time on board

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

I'll be curious to know if both the gangways are wheelchair accessible. there always seemed to be a sign for the one at the front of the ship. I think that might connect to deck 3, where midships was higher (4).  We initially assumed the front was exclusively for wheelchairs but soon discovered when getting back on that it was often quieter.

All the gangways are wheelchair accessible, and you're correct, the designated one isn't for the exclusive use of wheelchair users; P&O don't afford priority to them, apparently.  It usually depends on a few factors as to which one is designated as the wheelchair one; one factor may be the surface of the quay, but the most common being the gradient being affected by the tide. The latter is why the designation may change later in the day.

• Like 2

DAY 4 - Olden

Whilst I still didn’t sleep well again, in all fairness there was nothing that specifically disturbed me this time. The inbound cruise down the fjord was as magical as always and it’s weird to see snow on the mountain tops even in August. 

The deputy captain mentioned in his announcement this morning that people with mobility issues should use the midships exit, so I am reassured that he probably just didn’t say anything yesterday because both exits were suitable. That’s one concern positively resolved. 

Sadly the lift challenges emerged again immediately after leaving the cabin heading for breakfast. Not people pushing in this time, but just our inability to get in an a lift. Every lift in both directions was full, one after the other. The other members of our party use the stairs 90% of the time and must have wondered where the hell we were. One chap also waiting said to us “I really admire your patience and how polite you are. I don’t think I would be the same in your position”. In the end, with just 5 minutes remaining before the MDR closed, my patience evaporated and when the next lift going down arrived I explained what was happening to the people in the lift and asked if it was possible if anyone might be able to use the stairs. To the enormous credit of a very young lad of about 10, he immediately stepped out of the lift, followed by his mother. I thanked them both sincerely and heard the mother rightly commending him. The only other time we have been extended an ounce of compassion at the lifts was by two teenage girls who, in spite of being at the lift before us, held the door and insisted that we went first. Some say that youngsters have no manners these days, but our experience on this cruise has been the complete polar opposite. As far as most of the folk who are middle aged or above are concerned, we are completely invisible. 

Another excellent breakfast in the MDR at our regular table. The waiters even happily get some of our party fancy coffees without fuss (they have a machine now apparently). These guys are definitely getting a tip at the end of the cruise as they have made each breakfast an absolute pleasure. As we were leaving I stopped at the restaurant check in desk to reserve the same table again for tomorrow. “I’m sorry sir, but reservations are not possible” which, of course is correct. I then saw the manager that we know and thanked him again and said that I’d like him to know how impressed we’ve been with the waiters. He smiled and said “I made sure that I put you with the best ones”. Needless to say, our table is now reserved again for breakfast tomorrow 😂 

Incidentally one of our daughters and her partner, who didn’t join us at Sindhu, had dinner in Pearl MDR last night and were given a table for 2 in the window smack bang in the centre aft spot, which they loved (just by luck BTW, not due to the manager we know). They said that their meal was great as well. 

At this point I should say that all 6 of us were in agreement that the food on Iona so far this cruise has been excellent. Sadly we had to break it to our daughters that whilst there’s a lot to like about Iona (and, I’m sure, Arvia) we can’t see ourselves booking them in the future, solely due to the lift problems. I don’t think that either of us could voluntarily face this level of hassle again. Sad, but it is what it is. 

I forgot to say that my wife and I had lunch in the Glass House yesterday. As with Sindhu, there is just one menu for the whole cruise but, unlike Sindhu, the restricted choice (small plates aside) is quite poor. My wife enjoyed it more than me but the ambiance is dreadful. It’s just basically chairs and tables around the atrium and I had to ask a waiter where it was, even though I was already stood in it, as it doesn’t look like a dedicated restaurant 😂 

Thanks to tips from my online chums on Cruise Critic, we took a wander into the centre of Olden (the term ‘centre’ being used loosely) and got a great view back up the fjord to the ship (photo posted yesterday). It’s such a beautiful part of the world, and as the partner of one of our daughters said, it’s difficult to put into words when describing it to people back home as even photos don’t do the scenery justice. 

We had lunch in the MDR and, as on Britannia, the sushi was fabulous. A young chap arrived on the next table with his very young son and daughter and when we left I felt the need to say to him that his two children were lovely and an absolute credit to him. He seemed very appreciative of the comment. Well that’s my good deed of the day done, so now I can go back to being a miserable old git and moaning about the lifts 🤣 

We had a lazy afternoon on the ship before our departure at around 6pm. For those who haven’t been to Olden, the building  adjacent to the berth plays very loud music for the ships departure, whilst the locals wave Union Jacks and the Norwegian flag. Tonight we had songs such as ‘We are sailing’, ‘Time to say goodbye’, ‘Sweet Caroline’ and ‘Rockin’ all over the world”! We were lucky that all the action was on our side of the ship, so we could watch and listen to it all from the comfort of our balconies. It’s mad things like this that make a holiday memorable, especially for those on their first cruise (such as two of our party) who have no idea that this sort of thing happens!

Dinner was in Keel and Cow, which turned out to be our least successful meal to date. The ambiance wasn’t good as it’s another restaurant around the atrium (so very noisy), we were near a doorway so it was a bit chilly, and a very loud family sat near us. We only fancied one of the starters and they didn’t have it. I had the Prime Minister burger. If that’s the “best burger at sea” (according to the blurb) then it’s a pretty low bar. Mine was luke warm at best. The view of the group was that we would have been better off in the MDR and had no bill (they deducted the cost of my burger though). 

We were done by 8.30pm so my wife and I decided to see if we could get into the 8.30pm Greatest Days (Take That) show, but it was full with people standing. I then hit on the idea of seeing if we could get into the 710 Club as there was a female singer who appealed. I thought it started at 9pm but it was 8.45pm and we arrived at 8.46pm. However, a drinks waiter noticed me in the doorway and very kindly offered to let us in after the first song. We certainly weren’t disappointed. The young lady is called Elly Darrall. She performed a mix of covers from artists as diverse as Karen Carpenter and Kate Bush, as well as quite a few of her own songs, all of which were really excellent. This girl (singer, songwriter and pianist) is a huge talent. I hope that her career takes off, as she is worthy of a lot more than singing on cruise ships. Tomorrow Hellesylt (which should have been Geiranger). 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 22

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 4 - Olden

Whilst I still didn’t sleep well again, in all fairness there was nothing that specifically disturbed me this time. The inbound cruise down the fjord was as magical as always and it’s weird to see snow on the mountain tops even in August. 

The deputy captain mentioned in his announcement this morning that people with mobility issues should use the midships exit, so I am reassured that he probably just didn’t say anything yesterday because both exits were suitable. That’s one concern positively resolved. 

Sadly the lift challenges emerged again immediately after leaving the cabin heading for breakfast. Not people pushing in this time, but just our inability to get in an a lift. Every lift in both directions was full, one after the other. The other members of our party use the stairs 90% of the time and must have wondered where the hell we were. One chap also waiting said to us “I really admire your patience and how polite you are. I don’t think I would be the same in your position”. In the end, with just 5 minutes remaining before the MDR closed, my patience evaporated and when the next lift going down arrived I explained what was happening to the people in the lift and asked if it was possible if anyone might be able to use the stairs. To the enormous credit of a very young lad of about 10, he immediately stepped out of the lift, followed by his mother. I thanked them both sincerely and heard the mother rightly commending him. The only other time we have been extended an ounce of compassion at the lifts was by two teenage girls who, in spite of being at the lift before us, held the door and insisted that we went first. Some say that youngsters have no manners these days, but our experience on this cruise has been the complete polar opposite. As far as most of the folk who are middle aged or above are concerned, we are completely invisible. 

Another excellent breakfast in the MDR at our regular table. The waiters even happily get some of our party fancy coffees without fuss (they have a machine now apparently). These guys are definitely getting a tip at the end of the cruise as they have made each breakfast an absolute pleasure. As we were leaving I stopped at the restaurant check in desk to reserve the same table again for tomorrow. “I’m sorry sir, but reservations are not possible” which, of course is correct. I then saw the manager that we know and thanked him again and said that I’d like him to know how impressed we’ve been with the waiters. He smiled and said “I made sure that I put you with the best ones”. Needless to say, our table is now reserved again for breakfast tomorrow 😂 

Incidentally one of our daughters and her partner, who didn’t join us at Sindhu, had dinner in Pearl MDR last night and were given a table for 2 in the window smack bang in the centre aft spot, which they loved (just by luck BTW, not due to the manager we know). They said that their meal was great as well. 

At this point I should say that all 6 of us were in agreement that the food on Iona so far this cruise has been excellent. Sadly we had to break it to our daughters that whilst there’s a lot to like about Iona (and, I’m sure, Arvia) we can’t see ourselves booking them in the future, solely due to the lift problems. I don’t think that either of us could voluntarily face this level of hassle again. Sad, but it is what it is. 

I forgot to say that my wife and I had lunch in the Glass House yesterday. As with Sindhu, there is just one menu for the whole cruise but, unlike Sindhu, the restricted choice (small plates aside) is quite poor. My wife enjoyed it more than me but the ambiance is dreadful. It’s just basically chairs and tables around the atrium and I had to ask a waiter where it was, even though I was already stood in it, as it doesn’t look like a dedicated restaurant 😂 

Thanks to tips from my online chums on Cruise Critic, we took a wander into the centre of Olden (the term ‘centre’ being used loosely) and got a great view back up the fjord to the ship (photo posted yesterday). It’s such a beautiful part of the world, and as the partner of one of our daughters said, it’s difficult to put into words when describing it to people back home as even photos don’t do the scenery justice. 

We had lunch in the MDR and, as on Britannia, the sushi was fabulous. A young chap arrived on the next table with his very young son and daughter and when we left I felt the need to say to him that his two children were lovely and an absolute credit to him. He seemed very appreciative of the comment. Well that’s my good deed of the day done, so now I can go back to being a miserable old git and moaning about the lifts 🤣 

We had a lazy afternoon on the ship before our departure at around 6pm. For those who haven’t been to Olden, the building  adjacent to the berth plays very loud music for the ships departure, whilst the locals wave Union Jacks and the Norwegian flag. Tonight we had songs such as ‘We are sailing’, ‘Time to say goodbye’, ‘Sweet Caroline’ and ‘Rockin’ all over the world”! We were lucky that all the action was on our side of the ship, so we could watch and listen to it all from the comfort of our balconies. It’s mad things like this that make a holiday memorable, especially for those on their first cruise (such as two of our party) who have no idea that this sort of thing happens!

Dinner was in Keel and Cow, which turned out to be our least successful meal to date. The ambiance wasn’t good as it’s another restaurant around the atrium (so very noisy), we were near a doorway so it was a bit chilly, and a very loud family sat near us. We only fancied one of the starters and they didn’t have it. I had the Prime Minister burger. If that’s the “best burger at sea” (according to the blurb) then it’s a pretty low bar. Mine was luke warm at best. The view of the group was that we would have been better off in the MDR and had no bill (they deducted the cost of my burger though). 

We were done by 8.30pm so my wife and I decided to see if we could get into the 8.30pm Greatest Days (Take That) show, but it was full with people standing. I then hit on the idea of seeing if we could get into the 710 Club as there was a female singer who appealed. I thought it started at 9pm but it was 8.45pm and we arrived at 8.46pm. However, a drinks waiter noticed me in the doorway and very kindly offered to let us in after the first song. We certainly weren’t disappointed. The young lady is called Elly Darrall. She performed a mix of covers from artists as diverse as Karen Carpenter and Kate Bush, as well as quite a few of her own songs, all of which were really excellent. This girl (singer, songwriter and pianist) is a huge talent. I hope that her career takes off, as she is worthy of a lot more than singing on cruise ships. Tomorrow Hellesylt (which should have been Geiranger). 

While following your reports on this cruise it has just confirmed what we have witnessed on nearly all our cruises RE lifts, we personally do not use the lifts if at all possible ,( and we are nearly always on the upper decks) as we are still capable of using the stairs albeit at a slower pace than when we were younger, however we constantly see fit ,able bodied people waiting for a lift  and in a lot of cases to go DOWN one flight and have witnessed wheelchair and mobile scooter users been unable to gain access to lifts due to people who cant be bothered to use the stairs taking up the space ,so I can only share your despair at the lift hoggers, it will of course be more of a problem on the larger ships due to the volume of passengers .

It may take us a while but even when we have to get on and off the ship at level four we will still walk up and down the stairs, in some cases eleven or twelve flights, it keeps us fit and keeps the weight off but most importantly it frees the lifts for those like yourselves that have no choice but to use them..

Enjoy the rest of the cruise and hope the lift situation improves for you 😃 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

While following your reports on this cruise it has just confirmed what we have witnessed on nearly all our cruises RE lifts, we personally do not use the lifts if at all possible ,( and we are nearly always on the upper decks) as we are still capable of using the stairs albeit at a slower pace than when we were younger, however we constantly see fit ,able bodied people waiting for a lift  and in a lot of cases to go DOWN one flight and have witnessed wheelchair and mobile scooter users been unable to gain access to lifts due to people who cant be bothered to use the stairs taking up the space ,so I can only share your despair at the lift hoggers, it will of course be more of a problem on the larger ships due to the volume of passengers .

It may take us a while but even when we have to get on and off the ship at level four we will still walk up and down the stairs, in some cases eleven or twelve flights, it keeps us fit and keeps the weight off but most importantly it frees the lifts for those like yourselves that have no choice but to use them..

Enjoy the rest of the cruise and hope the lift situation improves for you 😃 

Thanks. As I said in a previous post, I don’t have a problem with anyone and everyone using the lifts as and when they wish, even those who are 100% fit. We are all on holiday after all. Our daughters and partners (20s and 30s) take the same approach as you though and almost always use the stairs. 

The issue that we have is that the lifts are small and we need a lift that is no more than two-thirds full to fit in, so although many lifts may still have room for say two people standing, we can’t get in. On the rare occasions that I am without my wife I try to use the stairs, but if I am in a lift and it stops half way and I see someone waiting with a scooter, wheelchair or buggy I will step out so they can get in and use the stairs for the last few floors. On other ships, quite a few people have kindly done that for us, but only once on this ship and that was when I asked if anyone would be willing to. The passenger profile is entirely different. 

It happened again literally 5 minutes ago. A lift arrived that had enough room for us, but the couple who in all fairness had arrived just before us got straight in. This meant that we couldn’t, so I then told the couple that had arrived after us that they might as well get in as there wasn’t enough space left for us. We don’t feel that we should queue jump, but if the boot had been on the other foot and we were both able bodied and arrived first, we would have offered the lift space to the people with the most need and waited if needs be (well, in fact, we’d have used the stairs as we were going down). It just simply doesn’t seem to even cross the mind of the passengers on this ship to think as we would though, other than the children and teenagers who have more courtesy than their elders. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 15

Thanks for another great report.👍

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having lift problems, and that it influences your decision not to cruise again on Iona or Arvia. That's a shame. Incidentally, are you always using the midship lifts when you leave your cabin for breakfast. We have found that the aft and forward lifts were usually quieter of a morning; the corridors outside the cabins are wider than some other ships, so we've never encountered a problem using them to get to another lift.

I'm in agreement with you about both Keel and Cow, and Glass House; not just the quality of food and the poor selection (GH), but also the open dining aspect. No doubt, like us, you experienced folk just coming and sitting on the tables set for meals, to enjoy their drinks from the bar. Glass House on both Iona and Arvia is nothing like the one on Britannia.

I'll look out for that female singer next time we're on.  Is she the one that is generally billed as the 'busker' in Brodies?

Hopefully, you will have a good day in Hellesylt.  Watch your back pushing Lady S up the hill to the waterfall; hopefully, you will choose the better route.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Thanks for another great report.👍

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having lift problems, and that it influences your decision not to cruise again on Iona or Arvia. That's a shame. Incidentally, are you always using the midship lifts when you leave your cabin for breakfast. We have found that the aft and forward lifts were usually quieter of a morning; the corridors outside the cabins are wider than some other ships, so we've never encountered a problem using them to get to another lift.

I'm in agreement with you about both Keel and Cow, and Glass House; not just the quality of food and the poor selection (GH), but also the open dining aspect. No doubt, like us, you experienced folk just coming and sitting on the tables set for meals, to enjoy their drinks from the bar. Glass House on both Iona and Arvia is nothing like the one on Britannia.

I'll look out for that female singer next time we're on.  Is she the one that is generally billed as the 'busker' in Brodies?

Hopefully, you will have a good day in Hellesylt.  Watch your back pushing Lady S up the hill to the waterfall; hopefully, you will choose the better route.

We went to the aft lifts today as it’s the only one not being used for disembarking, even though we pass the midships ones on the way and yes it was easier, although yesterday with midships we couldn’t even go up to come back down! I considered moving to the aft lifts but the rest of our group were waiting for us midships having used the stairs. 

It is a great shame that it has put us off Iona and Arvia, but my wife had just summed it up by saying that she now dreads every time that we need to change floors, and that’s not right. She has enough to worry about given her plight. I’m sure that it would be easier out of school holidays, but one of our daughters partners is a teacher so we are stuck if it’s a family holiday. 

• Like 12

On 8/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, cruising.mark.uk said:

Really enjoying this blog, Selbourne. Thank you.

I have to say that I love the atriums on Iona and Arvia. I agree that they are very conference hotel / airport terminal likve and I can see how some would not be impressed, especially if they are enamoured of the more 'traditional' atrium.  But, I think they win on two counts: first, they are airy, open, modern and functional with very easy access to multiple venues direct from the atrium; and second, the huge expanse of glass and, with it, the proximity of the sea and the fantastic views, is unmatched on pretty much any other ship we've been on.  We find on many ships these days that it is very difficult to know / appreciate in much of the indoor space that you are actually at sea. That certainly isn't the case with the Arvia and Iona atriums. 

I have asked this before and never got an answer.  What is it about atriums that seems to bother people.  How much time do you spend in an atrium?  We don't spend any time, so it would hardly matter if it had a wow factor or not.

Quick shocking about the lift situation Selbourne and glad you said something.  Absolutey right.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have asked this before and never got an answer.  What is it about atriums that seems to bother people.  How much time do you spend in an atrium?  We don't spend any time, so it would hardly matter if it had a wow factor or not.

Quick shocking about the lift situation Selbourne and glad you said something.  Absolutey right.

But the atrium on Iona is also a bar area and also the location of Costa coffe.

I love coffee and I love beer that’s why I like atrium.

On Celebrity Silhouette the atrium is the main evening focus of the ship.

On Ventura it’s Costa coffee and watching the dancers with a nightcap,,,you don’t know what you are missing.

On Britannia with a turn on it’s we’re most people go for a pre dinner drink or for a after dinner coffee and brandy.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think you cruise on Arcadia and Aurora. Arcadia doesn’t really have an atrium and Aurora’s is really small just surrounding the staircase. 

• Like 1