Insurance help please

Heatherco

We are set to sail on October 5th and did not purchase insurance through Royal.  My question is if it is too late to purchase through a third party like Nationwide?

Do not need to hear you should have bought it, etc..

Simply asking if it can be still purchased.  Our only reason for buying it this time is due to Covid cases starting to rise.  The cruise was cheap and we are driving to the port so not the end of the world if we can’t get it, but figured it might be worth it.

Thanks so much!

28 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

I don't believe you could purchase Any travel insurance after final payment is due.

Actually, you can. Final payment is the last opportunity to get coverage for pre-existing conditions in some policies if it is purchased within 24 hours of final payment.

After that, you can still buy insurance but any known or foreseen events will not be covered. Acute illness, accidents, travel risks are still covered.

• Like 1

I have purchased insurance after final payment, so it is possible.  My family is healthy and frankly I just forgot to buy it.  The terms of the coverage was fine, we didn't need anything special.  You want to pay attention to the lookback window because if you can't go for a medical reason, they won't cover it if it was for something that came up in that lookback window.  The Royal plan has a 60 day lookback from the day you buy it.  

We have a cruise with my parents and I didn't realize this caveat, because I normally don't add the coverage until right before final payment.  In this case, my dad has medical issues that could be argued as something they exclude if he can't go for medical reasons. I bought my TA's plan that doesn't have a lookback window, just to be extra cautious.  

1 minute ago, Cutigerlady said:

I have purchased insurance after final payment, so it is possible.  My family is healthy and frankly I just forgot to buy it.  The terms of the coverage was fine, we didn't need anything special.  You want to pay attention to the lookback window because if you can't go for a medical reason, they won't cover it if it was for something that came up in that lookback window.  The Royal plan has a 60 day lookback from the day you buy it.  

We have a cruise with my parents and I didn't realize this caveat, because I normally don't add the coverage until right before final payment.  In this case, my dad has medical issues that could be argued as something they exclude if he can't go for medical reasons. I bought my TA's plan that doesn't have a lookback window, just to be extra cautious.  

They all have look-back periods, some longer than others. You likely purchased in a time frame that allowed a waiver of pre-existing conditions. Most policies require that you purchase it within 14-21 days of initial deposit in order to qualify, but there are several companies that also allow the waiver if the policy is purchased within 24 hours of final payment.

Without the waiver, you are correct that the insurance company will examine medical records for the defined period of time to see if the claim was caused by an existing illness/condition. If so, the claim will be denied.

It applies to medical coverage and trip interruption as well, not just cancellation so if a problem from a known condition arises on the cruise it will not be covered.

58 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We use Allianz and buy a year plan as we cruise 2-3 times a year.

We also cruise 3-4 times a year but never really looked into a yearly plan. Is it really worth it? I heard if you file a claim it sort of negates other benefits. 

Any advice ?

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

We always bought our insurance through TravelEx and we never bought it until just before  final payment because up until then we could cancel and get all of our money back anyway.  Also, we mostly drove to the departure ports but if we had to fly we bought the insurance when we purchased air fare.

20 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

We also cruise 3-4 times a year but never really looked into a yearly plan. Is it really worth it? I heard if you file a claim it sort of negates other benefits. 

Any advice ?

Cheers

Len

We have never had to make a claim but it was cheaper for a year plan than buying 3 individual plans.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Any advice ?

Cheers

Len

Make sure you look at the limit on the medical coverage in yearly plans.  We have looked at them in the past and some of them do not have high enough medical coverage and evacuation coverage.  Having cancel for any reason coverage in them makes the policy very expensive.  

23 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Any advice ?

Cheers

Len

The cancellation benefit is per policy per year so yes one claim could deplete that amount leaving you with no coverage for the rest of the year, depending on benefit level you choose and the cost of your cruise. The maximum is $15,000 for Allianz.

2 hours ago, Heatherco said:

We are set to sail on October 5th and did not purchase insurance through Royal.  My question is if it is too late to purchase through a third party like Nationwide?

Simply asking if it can be still purchased.  Our only reason for buying it this time is due to Covid cases starting to rise.  The cruise was cheap and we are driving to the port so not the end of the world if we can’t get it, but figured it might be worth it.

Thanks so much!

You can sill buy it. Check insuremytrip.com and put in your information. You can compare policies and look at insurance company ratings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

We buy our cruise insurance both from RCCL and Allianz. I think you can buy it up to 48 hours before you travel. I suggest you contact your Travel Agent or Royal to make sure.

Jim

Royals insurance cannot be purchased after the final payment date unless you are booking the cruise after the final payment date in which case it needs to be added at the time you book.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We use Allianz and buy a year plan as we cruise 2-3 times a year.

What he ^^^^ said!  An annual policy covers you ANYWHERE you go over 100 miles (usually) from home, domestic and international.  It's a bargain. 

My GeoBlue Trekker annual policy cost me $188 for 2023.  I have 3 trips to see family in Ann Arbor and 13 cruises in 2023.  

BENEFIT OVERVIEW MATRIX
Policy Maximums Insurer pays Per Covered Person
$500,000 if the Covered Person is under age 70; and
$100,000 if the Covered Person is age 70 through age 95
Trip Period Maximum Medical Benefits
Deductible
Deductible is waived if services are provided by a GeoBlue contracted provider
$200 per Covered Person per Period of Insurance
First Level Payment
The Insurer will pay 100% of the Reasonable Charges up to a maximum benefit as shown above per Period of Insurance
Emergency Medical Transportation
Deductible is not applicable. Maximum Benefit per Trip Period for all Evacuations up to $250,000
Emergency Family Travel Arrangements
Deductible is not applicable. Maximum Benefit per Trip Period up to $2,500 for the cost of one economy round-trip air fare ticket to, and the hotel accommodations in, the place of the Hospital Confinement for one (1) person
Repatriation of Mortal Remains
Deductible is not applicable. Maximum Benefit up to $15,000 Medical Benefit Limitations Insurer pays after the deductible, if applicable, subject to First Level Payment Percentage listed above
Professional Services
a. Surgery, anesthesia, in-hospital doctor visits, diagnostic X-ray and lab
b. Office Visits: including X-rays and lab work billed by the attending physician.
The Insurer will pay 100% of the Reasonable Charges up to the Period of Insurance Medical Benefit
Inpatient Hospital Services
a. Surgery, X-rays, In-hospital doctor visits
b. In-patient medical emergency
The Insurer will pay 100% of the Reasonable Charges up to the Period of Insurance Maximum Medical Benefit
Ambulatory Surgical Center
The Insurer will pay 100% of the Reasonable Charges up to the Period of Insurance Maximum Medical Benefit

Ambulance Service (non-Medical Evacuation)
100% up to $1,000 Maximum per Trip Period
Benefits for claims resulting from downhill (alpine) skiing and scuba diving at a depth of 20 meters or less.
Reasonable Charges limited to the Trip Period Maximum or $25,000, whichever is less. Limitations apply – see benefit description for specifics
Outside the U.S. Outpatient prescription drugs
100% of Reasonable Charges up to a maximum benefit of $2,500 per Trip Period
Dental Care required due to an Injury
100% of Reasonable Charges with a maximum benefit of $200 per Trip Period
Dental Care for Relief of Pain
100% of Reasonable Charges with a maximum benefit of $100 per Trip Period
Physical and/or Occupational Therapy/Medicine, Including spinal manipulations and other specified therapies including acupuncture
Maximum payment of $50 per visit and maximum of 6 visits per Trip Period

Also, your credit card usually covers trip interruption, some cancellation, and lost/stolen luggage.

(And, yes, I AM an insurance geek.  I worked for Blue Cross for 16 years.  I read insurance policies for fun.  I know:  weird.)

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Heatherco said:

Thanks so much!

Should you have to cancel because you test positive for covid Royal will refund your cruise fare.    

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pcur said:

What he ^^^^ said!  An annual policy covers you ANYWHERE you go over 100 miles (usually) from home, domestic and international.  It's a bargain. 

My GeoBlue Trekker annual policy cost me $188 for 2023.  I have 3 trips to see family in Ann Arbor and 13 cruises in 2023.  

BENEFIT OVERVIEW MATRIX
Deductible
First Level Payment
The Insurer will pay 100% of the Reasonable Charges up to a maximum benefit as shown above per Period of Insurance
Deductible is not applicable. Maximum Benefit per Trip Period for all Evacuations up to $250,000
Deductible is not applicable. Maximum Benefit per Trip Period up to $2,500 for the cost of one economy round-trip air fare ticket to, and the hotel accommodations in, the place of the Hospital Confinement for one (1) person
Deductible is not applicable. Maximum Benefit up to $15,000 Medical Benefit Limitations Insurer pays after the deductible, if applicable, subject to First Level Payment Percentage listed above
Professional Services
b. Office Visits: including X-rays and lab work billed by the attending physician.
The Insurer will pay 100% of the Reasonable Charges up to the Period of Insurance Medical Benefit

Benefits for claims resulting from downhill (alpine) skiing and scuba diving at a depth of 20 meters or less.
Reasonable Charges limited to the Trip Period Maximum or $25,000, whichever is less. Limitations apply – see benefit description for specifics
Physical and/or Occupational Therapy/Medicine, Including spinal manipulations and other specified therapies including acupuncture

Also, your credit card usually covers trip interruption, some cancellation, and lost/stolen luggage.

(And, yes, I AM an insurance geek.  I worked for Blue Cross for 16 years.  I read insurance policies for fun.  I know:  weird.)

Your credit card will cover some reasons for cancellation but none for pre-existing conditions. Everyone needs to understand what that means before they depend on credit card benefits in place of a comprehensive travel policy. There is a reason it is  included with all those other perks for just the cost of your annual fee.

3 hours ago, pcur said:

BENEFIT OVERVIEW MATRIX
Deductible
First Level Payment
Professional Services

Does this include any cancellation? I didn't see it but may have missed it.