New Menus for Luminae

Jim_Iain

8 hours ago, Mark_T said:

It always has been a tiny portion, but once you let your Luminae team know how much you want they take care of that for you.

I just asked for sufficient to let them put two poached eggs on top and they took care of that for me.

The sausage was another matter though, the Luminae kitchen only had the typical US tiny breakfast sausages, they were willing to go fetch the 'British' bangers from the OVC, but I didn't want them doing that every day so I managed without, or just went to OVC for breakfast. Now it seems even those tiny sausages are missing from the menu.

They are now missing from our menu for our cruise next month. Will be asking for them though and see what happens. 

31 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Thanks for the clarification, what is a Poussin?

Basically it's a young Chicken

It's a butcher's term for a young chicken, less than 28 days old at slaughter and usually weighing 400–450 grams (14–16 oz) but not above 750 grams (26 oz).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That is about the size of Cornish Game hens we buy locally. Thanks, so a Poussin is the veal of the chicken world.

I think again Celebrity uses Cornish Hen's and call them Poussin to make us think we are getting something different.   Recently I ordered a Quail and I'm sure it was also a Cornish by the size of it.    

I think it is much the same with the Fish in Luminae -  The offer Branzino, Loupe de Mer and Barramundi and Black Sea Bass.     In reality they are all Sea Bass and in my opinion probably the same regardless of name.   Just a gut feel with no proof.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think it is much the same with the Fish in Luminae -  The offer Branzino, Loupe de Mer and Barramundi and Black Sea Bass.     In reality they are all Sea Bass and in my opinion probably the same regardless of name.   Just a gut feel with no proof.

I agree, maybe from different areas so names are different but all sea bass

1 hour ago, padgman1 said:

NOW we know where Jim gets the energy to do those 10 mile walks every day ...

We are probably the opposite of many cruisers and constantly have to ask our waiter to downsize our meals as oppose to super sizing.    It does take a couple reminders to get the waiter "trained".   

To us -  when you pile food on a plate it is more of a turn off.  

To be honest the daily walk is a result of retirement -  When I first retired I started putting on the pounds because I was just sitting around doing nothing.   Fitbit to the rescue.

When I first started walking I thought 1 mile was unachievable but just kept adding on.   Now I find it my escape into another world.    I am now hooked on Audio Books and go through a couple books a week.    

A CC member (a Librarian) enlighten me to the vast collections libraries have and can be borrowed for free using Hoopla.     You can listen live or download for offline listening.

• Like 7

The creative re-naming of fish has been a marketing joke for decades:  Orange Roughy (Slimehead), Chilean Sea Bass (Patagonia Toothfish), Mahi Mahi (Dolphinfish).  Euphemistic names notwithstanding, nearly 20% of all fish is incorrectly labelled, whether intentionally or not.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Not impressed with the new Breakfast menu as a lot of the things we liked are missing, but hope we can still ask for them.

I wouldn't want to miss out on my upcoming Retreat experience on the Millie this coming Nov.

So I am just wondering what were the things that you liked on the menu which are now missing? Maybe some of your likes might be something that I would like to try out myself when I am in Luminae for breakfast in the morning.

6 minutes ago, agape01 said:

I wouldn't want to miss out on my upcoming Retreat experience on the Millie this coming Nov.

So I am just wondering what were the things that you liked on the menu which are now missing? Maybe some of your likes might be something that I would like to try out myself when I am in Luminae for breakfast in the morning.

Things not on the new menu

Sausages of any kind including delicious chicken sausage

Salmon and Crab cake eggs benedict

Huevos Rancheros (my real favorite)

Plain or Belgium waffles

Hot Oatmeal

Truffle omelets.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Plain or Belgium waffles

Hot Oatmeal

Truffle omelets.

Those highlighted looks and sound great. Will definitely push my luck for those.

2 minutes ago, agape01 said:

Those highlighted looks and sound great. Will definitely push my luck for those.

Being from South Texas I will really miss the Huevos Rancheros as it is as close to Tex Mex as I can get on a cruise ship. The truffle omelets were also a very unique breakfast taste.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Plain or Belgium waffles

Hot Oatmeal

Truffle omelets.

I tried a chicken sausage - it was more like a chopped chicken patty.  YMMV, I guess.  

I'm guessing that on the M and S class ships you can get the regular sausage, oatmeal and Beguim waffles from the main dining room.

And who knows, maybe by next week they'll add sausage back as people ask for it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Eel sauce does not contain actual eel. 

The Luminae menus were a getting a little stale. Some new items are overdue in my opinion.

Noo! Next you are going to tell me Duck sauce doesn't contain actual duck! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think again Celebrity uses Cornish Hen's and call them Poussin to make us think we are getting something different.   Recently I ordered a Quail and I'm sure it was also a Cornish by the size of it.    

I cringe at Quail.. we have them wild in our backyard in Fl..also known as Bobwhite.  They are in decline..

For awhile X was on a bird binge! Not sure they ever served pigeon..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

I cringe at Quail.. we have them wild in our backyard in Fl..also known as Bobwhite.  They are in decline..

For awhile X was on a bird binge! Not sure they ever served pigeon..

Thank you, I also wont eat Quail or any young animals. Blu did does serve pigeon (Squab). Never saw Squab on Luminae menu.

4 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Can anyone say whether the Lobster Roll now contains any lobster?  It was a huge disappointment last fall on the Edge.

It wasn’t bad on summit in March.

Wife didn’t like the baked oatmeal, we asked for regular oatmeal and that wasn’t a problem, normally in Luminae if they can do it they will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Eel sauce does not contain actual eel. 

The Luminae menus were a getting a little stale. Some new items are overdue in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Basically it's a young Chicken

It's a butcher's term for a young chicken, less than 28 days old at slaughter and usually weighing 400–450 grams (14–16 oz) but not above 750 grams (26 oz).

Could I ask them to hold the pretentiousness while they're at it? Just call the food what it is please.

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

Could I ask them to hold the pretentiousness while they're at it? Just call the food what it is please.

????

Those are the actual terms used in the food industry. Nothing pretentious about it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Jim_Iain, I appreciate the kind response to my attempt at humor on your statement about eating “Steamed Muscles”.

I just hope some day to be on the same cruise as you and Iain  so I can walk and talk with you for awhile, with your permission, of course. Of course, I’ll only be walking 5 miles…Iain, I would want to hear some stories from you as well.

• Like 1