New Menus for Luminae

Jim_Iain

Read on "that other site" that Celebrity has released new menus in Luminae.    The only hard copy I saw  was a breakfast menu but in the App for at least Apex and Edge the new menus are loaded starting today.

The Daniel Bouland Signatures have also been changed -   Chilled Corn Soup, Duck Leg Confit "Char Siu" and the beloved Rasberry Pistachio Vacherin has been replaced with a Lime and Berry Pavlova.  

In doing  quick search about 30% of the menu was changed to new items -- more fish.    One thing of interest is that on the Chic night they now list "COLD WATER" Lobster.

For lunch they have added a Cajun Shrimp Po Boy,    - of course the Luminae Burger and Lobster Roll were still on the menu (but the menu change did not occur until the second day).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Read on "that other site" that Celebrity has released new menus in Luminae.    The only hard copy I saw  was a breakfast menu but in the App for at least Apex and Edge the new menus are loaded starting today.

The Daniel Bouland Signatures have also been changed -   Chilled Corn Soup, Duck Leg Confit "Char Siu" and the beloved Rasberry Pistachio Vacherin has been replaced with a Lime and Berry Pavlova.  

In doing  quick search about 30% of the menu was changed to new items -- more fish.    One thing of interest is that on the Chic night they now list "COLD WATER" Lobster.

For lunch they have added a Cajun Shrimp Po Boy,    - of course the Luminae Burger and Lobster Roll were still on the menu (but the menu change did not occur until the second day).

Post pics if you’ve got them.

They must be “syncing up” the Daniel Boulud options. The appetizer and main course are the same as was on the Beyond in January and April of this year. The dessert on Beyond was the chocolate pill which my DW did not like.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

8 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

They must be “syncing up” the Daniel Boulud options. Those are the same as was on the Beyond in January and April of this year. 

mac_tlc

On SIL B3B in April/May they still had the original Daniel B Menu but on the 3rd cruise they pulled the Tangine Chicken (due to supply chain issues).   It surprised me to learn that it is pre-made by Daniel B's Kitchen and shipped to them in boiling bags... hmmm....so much for the concept of everything being cooked fresh.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

On SIL B3B in April/May they still had the original Daniel B Menu but on the 3rd cruise they pulled the Tangine Chicken (due to supply chain issues).   It surprised me to learn that it is pre-made by Daniel B's Kitchen and shipped to them in boiling bags... hmmm....so much for the concept of everything being cooked fresh.

That’s kind of surprising. One of the complaints about the dis was that it was overcooked and dry, but one of the benefits of sous vide is that food isn’t overcooked or dry!

• Like 2

A complete redo of the Luminae menu options is where they could actually offer less options while making them more appealable. The Daniel Boulard menu can be eliminated IMO. A pasta, chicken, high quality white fish and a high quality red meat as 4 entrees. And add the burger to dinner (how much can it cost to do a burger/fries to someone that wants it). X needs to embrace the “focus group” survey approach.

• Like 6

at this stage of the game I want to see actual Luminae menus before the usual "comments" of "this food is crap"starts 

Th breakfast menu looks fine.  There is the "the menu never changes and is always the same" crowd and the "why can't I have the same things I had for the last 5 years". crowd. Menus will evolve in any restaurant or they go stale

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Credits to Stephen Pressley for the photo

image.thumb.jpeg.2289a41c0ed2aee55250d7a76a794870.jpeg

Thats the menu we had on Millenium three weeks ago.  I thought the portions were a little skimpy.  For instance the the corned beef hash was about 1.5 tablespoons. Also the Canadian bacon on Eggs Bennie was more like a very thin sliced pork loin.  Overall, we thought Luminae was quite good.

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It surprised me to learn that it is pre-made by Daniel B's Kitchen and shipped to them in boiling bags... hmmm....so much for the concept of everything being cooked fresh.

That is a surprise to me as well, I always thought they just prepared it poorly onboard, but I'm happy to see a change, the replacement sounds much better.

4 hours ago, jbcallender said:

Thats the menu we had on Millenium three weeks ago.  I thought the portions were a little skimpy.  For instance the the corned beef hash was about 1.5 tablespoons.

It always has been a tiny portion, but once you let your Luminae team know how much you want they take care of that for you.

I just asked for sufficient to let them put two poached eggs on top and they took care of that for me.

The sausage was another matter though, the Luminae kitchen only had the typical US tiny breakfast sausages, they were willing to go fetch the 'British' bangers from the OVC, but I didn't want them doing that every day so I managed without, or just went to OVC for breakfast. Now it seems even those tiny sausages are missing from the menu.

3 hours ago, groryjm said:

It seems to have changed now anyway... Screenshot_20230829-082629.thumb.png.eb27ba0df1026e6690c5595180e86cb3.png

I went through the all the menus on the app. If X did a focus group approach from my view they could eliminate some options and have less waste.  I wonder what a focus group would have recommended regarding a nostalgic cookie option.

22 minutes ago, bnurick said:

I went through the all the menus on the app. If X did a focus group approach from my view they could eliminate some options and have less waste.  I wonder what a focus group would have recommended regarding a nostalgic cookie option.

I think they claim that their "focus group" is asking their restaurant managers what dishes are popular and what dishes don't get ordered much and/or don't get great feedback.  But the skeptic in me these days says they are trying to lower the menu costs for them and trying to do it in a way that makes you feel like you are getting more gourmet food.  Personally I was never fond of much of the Luminae menu anyway so I am hoping I like the changes.  Time will tell.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, tfred said:

at this stage of the game I want to see actual Luminae menus before the usual "comments" of "this food is crap"starts 

Th breakfast menu looks fine.  There is the "the menu never changes and is always the same" crowd and the "why can't I have the same things I had for the last 5 years". crowd. Menus will evolve in any restaurant or they go stale

I don't disagree with you.  At the same time, I think most people who cruise a lot have their favorites and really look forward to them as part of their overall cruise experience.  If they ever ditch the short ribs which is my favorite, or the french onlon soup which is DH's favorite we would be very disappointed.  I'm not a big fan of the Luminae menu overall, so I'm hoping they are adding some options that appeal to me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think they claim that their "focus group" is asking their restaurant managers what dishes are popular and what dishes don't get ordered much and/or don't get great feedback.  But the skeptic in me these days says they are trying to lower the menu costs for them and trying to do it in a way that makes you feel like you are getting more gourmet food.  Personally I was never fond of much of the Luminae menu anyway so I am hoping I like the changes.  Time will tell.

The Silhouette is updated on the app for todays embarkation. These must be very popular with some guests.

IMG_0500.jpeg

1 hour ago, bnurick said:

The Silhouette is updated on the app for todays embarkation. These must be very popular with some guests.

IMG_0500.jpeg

I would eat those- better than tilapia and turkey as the equivalents 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't disagree with you.  At the same time, I think most people who cruise a lot have their favorites and really look forward to them as part of their overall cruise experience.  If they ever ditch the short ribs which is my favorite, or the french onlon soup which is DH's favorite we would be very disappointed.  I'm not a big fan of the Luminae menu overall, so I'm hoping they are adding some options that appeal to me.

Short ribs are good. Best we ever had. I did see turkey in Luminae once and was aghast as that is really a low end protein  That isn’t something you would find in a Daniel B menu-it’s just a cost cut. 

we like the food in Luminae but they probably need 2 more entrees and 1 more starter. 

• Like 1