You can't make these things up!!

whitecap

1 hour ago, whitecap said:

As the OP for this thread, I think what we have learned here are that people have different opinions as to what is or isn't proper hygiene.  I would just suggest this; don't eat from your plate while in a buffet line; don't blow your nose in the table napkin and place it on the table/plate, get up and go to the bathroom; wash your hands often and use sanitizer once at your table.  

With that, as the OP, I would ask that the moderator close this thread.  

I’d like to just edit to DON’T BLOW YOUR NOSE AT THE TABLE! Period. It’s a completely disgusting thing to do while people are eating. I’m amazed that people have made it into adulthood and haven’t grasped that basic decorum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’d like to just edit to DON’T BLOW YOUR NOSE AT THE TABLE! Period. It’s a completely disgusting thing to do while people are eating. I’m amazed that people have made it into adulthood and haven’t grasped that basic decorum.

The guilty ones will certainly change their behavior immediately. 

2 hours ago, whitecap said:

As the OP for this thread, I think what we have learned here are that people have different opinions as to what is or isn't proper hygiene.  I would just suggest this; don't eat from your plate while in a buffet line; don't blow your nose in the table napkin and place it on the table/plate, get up and go to the bathroom; wash your hands often and use sanitizer once at your table.  

Last comment before thread is closed. I completely agree with every one of your suggestions!!!!

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

As you can already tell, some people have all the answers but don't respect personal choices, especially those that make no difference and pose no danger to others.  

Being rude to others for no reason also poses no danger to others, but it’s called manners. Either people had parents with good manners that taught them or they didn’t.

For the germaphobes in the group..... I went to my club to work out the other day and there is an area for phone charging and to leave small stuff (keys).  In the middle is a hole where to put your dirty towels.  Walk up to leave and put my towel in the hole and there is a half eaten apple just sitting on the counter next to the towel hole.  As I am standing there, someone comes up, takes a bite and puts it back on the counter and continues his workout.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, whitecap said:

And give you the last word where you assume your opinion is the only correct, or even the correct, one. You’ve wasted so much time here trying to convince people that your opinion needs to be adopted and followed by everyone, you could have had a whole new cruise planned in that amount of time. Move on!

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 3:29 PM, smokeybandit said:

Using an image taken from somewhere else to rant, nice.

I was on Adventure a few weeks ago and everything was great.

My mid 30's grandson and his wife will be on Adventure next month - I'm glad to hear this.

On 9/11/2023 at 10:30 PM, Pizzasteve said:

Fair enough.  Best wishes to you.

The words you are using tell me more than enough (eg slandering an entire university with words like the one you use isnt how my circle communicates).  I have close family that are WSU grads and they are extremely successful professionals in their field.  Have you ever even been to the campus?  Hiding behind forum rules means you really dont have any logic backing you up, or you would express the logic, which is certainly allowed. Not even reading the content one criticises, and being proud of it, tells me all the rest about how you form opinions.  I still wish you happiness.

No, not hiding behind anything.  Just following the rules as much as I can.  Yet, after saying "Fair Enough" you continue.  

On 9/12/2023 at 1:00 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Being rude to others for no reason also poses no danger to others, but it’s called manners. Either people had parents with good manners that taught them or they didn’t.

What's rude to anyone else about eating a FF while walking around the WJ.  I don't spit any portion of it in anyone's face, at the steam table(s), and so on.  As far as opening your mouth while in line at the buffet, I believe we all do that when we talk, ask for a cut of beef, speak to the crew, friends, relatives, or whatever, not to mention that there is that pesky spit glass between you and the food/steam table.  Eating a FF is no different than that, especially if one is aware of one's surroundings.  I don't see you or anyone else complaining about the people jammed next to each other at the tables for two when you are literally inches away from others and their plates, people laughing, coughing, talking, spitting, and breathing heavily.  I'm never that close to others in the WJ while walking around looking for something else to put on my plate.  I agree about manners and lots of people don't have them in here.  It's bad manners to accuse people of things that they have no idea about them.  And I assure you, I come from high society but reject most of it.  But, not the manners part of it.  All of this is selective outrage.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

I think only 3 of us here have admitted to doing this.  

I don't remember if I admitted to eating a french fry or an onion ring as I walk around the WJ, but I do. I'm very careful not to touch my fingers as I munch. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you do not touch your mouth and that is very easy to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 12:50 PM, Loracpin2 said:

Will probaby get slammed for this but here goes.......

While it's been a few years since sailing a transatlantic on Royal (previuosly sailed 2 Eastbound and 2 Westbound), the passenger demographic is definitely not the same demographic as those who take a 7 day cruise Caribbean cruise out of the US. And yes, I can defintely veryify this statement based on our recent early July sailing on the Oasis!!!

Which did you prefer 🤔?

On 9/12/2023 at 2:00 PM, 2wheelin said:

And give you the last word where you assume your opinion is the only correct, or even the correct, one. You’ve wasted so much time here trying to convince people that your opinion needs to be adopted and followed by everyone, you could have had a whole new cruise planned in that amount of time. Move on!

Wait up Op, we aren't done yet!

My Oasis cruise, this month, 7 days out of Bayonne, I ate almost all of my meals at the Windjammer.

The washing of the hands is optional as far as I could tell. Especially for the opening bell at 7am. Some mornings, there were about 100 people waiting in line. When the server removed the fabric divider to allow passengers into the wash area of about 8 sinks, more people just walked through than washed their hands. I spent about 15 seconds waiting for an open sink and another 45 seconds washing my hands and getting the paper towels (some times they pack them in so tightly it is very difficult to pull them out, they just start to tear).

I had a good viewpoint and did a quick count to how many people passed by in that 45 seconds (maybe off by three people, they were moving fast).

About 25 people went through and I tried to not count those that seemed to make an attempt at the hand sanitizer dispenser.

Everyone was worried about claiming a spot near a window that nothing else seemed to matter. Maybe some of them came back to wash their hands after they claimed their tables.

There were so many years before the pandemic that I was happy just to see people use the sanitizer.

Our biggest fear was noro-virus but that can ruin your trip if you get it.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo

10 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

My Oasis cruise, this month, 7 days out of Bayonne, I ate almost all of my meals at the Windjammer.

The washing of the hands is optional as far as I could tell. Especially for the opening bell at 7am. Some mornings, there were about 100 people waiting in line. When the server removed the fabric divider to allow passengers into the wash area of about 8 sinks, more people just walked through than washed their hands. I spent about 15 seconds waiting for an open sink and another 45 seconds washing my hands and getting the paper towels (some times they pack them in so tightly it is very difficult to pull them out, they just start to tear).

I had a good viewpoint and did a quick count to how many people passed by in that 45 seconds (maybe off by three people, they were moving fast).

About 25 people went through and I tried to not count those that seemed to make an attempt at the hand sanitizer dispenser.

Everyone was worried about claiming a spot near a window that nothing else seemed to matter. Maybe some of them came back to wash their hands after they claimed their tables.

There were so many years before the pandemic that I was happy just to see people use the sanitizer.

Our biggest fear was noro-virus but that can ruin your trip if you get it.

We completed our 14 days aboard the Adventure of the Seas, this past Saturday (9-16).  I will say this about the "washy washy station";  there were several staff placed at the entrance to the Windjammer and they were very "insistent" on people washing their hands.  One staffer had a rather large (tall, muscular) man attempt to walk past her and she immediately stepped in front of him and advised that he needed to wash his hands.  He insisted that he didn't need to and attempted to step around her; she stepped back in front of him and loudly insisted that he wash his hands; after a short stare down, the gentleman waked over and washed his hands.  

The biggest issues seen were with the passenger's themselves and their hygiene or lack thereof.  Lesson learned on this trip:  if you are going to eat in the Windjammer, be first in line at opening for the meal, first in line to select your food and let all those that follow use the utensils touched by the stand in line eating and finger licking people.  Adjust, adapt, overcome.  

4 minutes ago, whitecap said:

We completed our 14 days aboard the Adventure of the Seas, this past Saturday (9-16).  I will say this about the "washy washy station";  there were several staff placed at the entrance to the Windjammer and they were very "insistent" on people washing their hands.  One staffer had a rather large (tall, muscular) man attempt to walk past her and she immediately stepped in front of him and advised that he needed to wash his hands.  He insisted that he didn't need to and attempted to step around her; she stepped back in front of him and loudly insisted that he wash his hands; after a short stare down, the gentleman waked over and washed his hands.  

The biggest issues seen were with the passenger's themselves and their hygiene or lack thereof.  Lesson learned on this trip:  if you are going to eat in the Windjammer, be first in line at opening for the meal, first in line to select your food and let all those that follow use the utensils touched by the stand in line eating and finger licking people.  Adjust, adapt, overcome.  

Yes, on the Anthem, the passage way is narrower and one crew staff could block the area and control the flow of about 6 sinks. On the Oasis, the outgoing past the sinks is about 15 feet wide so it would take about three or even four staff to try and do something as you describes. If they focused their attention trying to stop one person, there would be a gap and two could get by. Kind of like playing zone defense and getting one zone overloaded.

I thought the Anthem's setup was much better for flow control.