Christmas cruise

Lizard13

I realize it is only September but I like to plan ahead. We will be on our first Christmas cruise and I was wondering if others brought any decorations for their cabins.  Specifically what is easy to pack and doesn’t take up a lot of room in the suitcase and room.  Any suggestions?

27 minutes ago, Lizard13 said:

I realize it is only September but I like to plan ahead. We will be on our first Christmas cruise and I was wondering if others brought any decorations for their cabins.  Specifically what is easy to pack and doesn’t take up a lot of room in the suitcase and room.  Any suggestions?

20221219_155310.jpg

20221219_153522.jpg

• Like 5

Just sayin', some folks oppose the door decorations. They feel the halls start looking ghetto, and sometimes, they are correct. The ship has policy about sticking things on the cabin door, so you may want to check on the official rules before you do it. Now what you may put in your own cabin is less regulated, but the stewards may take issue if it prevents them from their cleaning duties. I'm always mindful that not everybody celebrates the same holidays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizard13 said:

There are some beautiful flower arrangements you can order on the HAL site and get delivered to your cabin. You can also order them onboard. 

1219221514.thumb.jpg.f5260a5eeaf2cdcdab8393ae55b2a5e5.jpg0106231631.thumb.jpg.be06365247f1aa7a199b6aa85581e589.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Prior to Covid, my husband and I spent the holidays at sea for 5 years in a row. It is so much fun! The ship will be decorated. Our last Christmas cruise was on the Koningsdam, and we loved their gingerbread creations! On a different cruise line, there was one passenger who dressed up as Santa Claus. He looked like the real deal!

As for decorations, go for it! If you're worried about stepping on anyone's toes, keep everything secular or winter themed. All my decorations come from Dollar Tree. For the door, I try to get things that hang and are mostly flat. This makes packing easier. For inside the stateroom, I have a little tree with a small string of lights and ornaments.

• Like 3

My HallMark singing Penguins - Rocking Around the Christmas Tree - are getting ready to receive their Silver Medallion, after being cabin decorations for a few HAL Christmas cruises.

Whatever makes it feel like your own personal Christmas tradition and does not interfere with cabin safety or cabin steward operations will be fine. 

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 9.43.17 AM.png

• Like 6

Have fun with it!  Come Christmas Eve and Day, every crew member will be in a Santa hat, so there's no question people expect to "celebrate", whether it's a holiday that's a part of their culture or not.

We were on the Oosterdam last year over Christmas and will be on the Westerdam this year.  Last year's itinerary started in Buenos Aires, where the weather was in the 90s, and took us down to Antarctica, where it was freezing, so we didn't have a lot of room in our bags for extras, but we did take decorations.  As someone mentioned, Dollar Tree has lots to offer that's lightweight, and of course cheap enough that you don't mind leaving them behind.  (And of course whatever you don't bring back, leaves room in the suitcase for souvenirs!)  Heavy duty magnets hold most things to the walls and doors.  I ordered those from Amazon.

As for the crew, they seemed to enjoy it. We had stockings hung outside our cabin door, and occasionally we'd find a piece of fruit in each.  Inside we had a "Santa scarf" - a red furry scarf with white fluff balls on either end with jingle bells in the center of the fluff ball.  The room stewards had fun integrating the scarf into the towel animals they left for us.

We had a small (1 foot?  18 inch?) tree (cheap and ugly with an integrated metal stand to keep it upright) and a single short strand of lights to decorate it (maybe 25 lights?) as well as a Dollar Tree light up plastic tree with an on/off switch on the bottom in our room, but someone a few doors down hung battery-operated full-size (6 foot) strands of lights around the outside of their cabin door frame, and it felt so festive I went looking at ports to see if we could add one.  I'll be taking a set this year, along with extra batteries.

Remember they don't allow you to bring extension cords, so either battery-operated lights or you have to give up one of the few outlets and decorate close enough to said outlet that the cord reaches.

Because all the walls are magnetic, if you can get Christmas-themed magnets they take up little room in the bag and work on your door as well.  Sometimes stores will have a full 12x10 inch "sheet" of themed magnets or window-clings, so you can build your own little scene.

Hope you have a great time decorating!

• Like 3

You can also wait until after boarding to order a Christmas tree. Just go to Guest Services and order. The florist actually hand delivered mine. At one point he had a table set up with different sizes for passengers to purchase. I took mine home but the base broke in transit but DH repaired it with gorilla glue. 

5A0D3A60-21B6-4FBB-99A6-6D54773ED054.thumb.jpeg.ba1928f566f2f1dfef90078f08da953f.jpeg

• Like 3

We will also be on a Christmas cruise and I am concerned about bringing decor that I leave behind. It just seems like a lot of waste for the crew to take care of or is it really not that big of a deal?  I think I’ll get one of the pretty Christmas flower arrangements that you can pre order instead of a tree. Use some battery powered lights to add festive color to the room.  I like the idea of bringing stockings. 

I always order flowers on board, and went on a cruise that ended close to Christmas.  I ordered flowers, and they made a tall arrangement that had lots of greenery in it, red and white flowers, and a gold ball chain that looked like small connected ornaments wove through the whole arrangement.  It was very festive!  Hitting the local Dollar Tree or equivalent is a good idea.  I got cling film stickers for my door, a baby tree (about 4 inches tall, a small stocking and some small bells.

On 9/8/2023 at 11:49 AM, OlsSalt said:

My HallMark singing Penguins - Rocking Around the Christmas Tree - are getting ready to receive their Silver Medallion, after being cabin decorations for a few HAL Christmas cruises.

Whatever makes it feel like your own personal Christmas tradition and does not interfere with cabin safety or cabin steward operations will be fine. 

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 9.43.17 AM.png

My husband & I worked for the company that sells these things.  I have that exact one.  I might consider packing it for our 1st Christmas cruise, thanks for the idea.

2 hours ago, bajae said:

We will also be on a Christmas cruise and I am concerned about bringing decor that I leave behind. It just seems like a lot of waste for the crew to take care of or is it really not that big of a deal?  I think I’ll get one of the pretty Christmas flower arrangements that you can pre order instead of a tree. Use some battery powered lights to add festive color to the room.  I like the idea of bringing stockings. 

they really do have some lovely flower arrangements in Christmas theme - only offered then.  I ordered one for my friends and it was exquisite.

• Like 1

we are going on our 1st holiday cruise this year, can't wait to see all the decor.  I am wondering what all we can expect in terms of decor & entertainment.  We have sailed in Dec, just not over the actual holiday.  Thanks for this thread, heightened my excitement.

On 9/16/2023 at 11:24 AM, Sharon in AZ said:

You can also wait until after boarding to order a Christmas tree. Just go to Guest Services and order. The florist actually hand delivered mine. At one point he had a table set up with different sizes for passengers to purchase. I took mine home but the base broke in transit but DH repaired it with gorilla glue. 

5A0D3A60-21B6-4FBB-99A6-6D54773ED054.thumb.jpeg.ba1928f566f2f1dfef90078f08da953f.jpeg

I am curious as to how much that adorable tree cost? With OBC, that looks like a fantastic idea.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 4:55 PM, Banditswife said:

we are going on our 1st holiday cruise this year, can't wait to see all the decor.  I am wondering what all we can expect in terms of decor & entertainment.  We have sailed in Dec, just not over the actual holiday.  Thanks for this thread, heightened my excitement.

I think you can expect some nice decorations - gingerbread houses, trees, etc.

IMG_0753.thumb.jpeg.46aac3e0206f8f51077260d0fe46db42.jpeg

IMG_0754.thumb.jpeg.09c3eea84e3ce90f9d531b991a6cf75e.jpeg

IMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.3d2b063c061551f894e02f0b0c19f214.jpeg

tree lighting ceremony

IMG_0922.thumb.jpeg.2959f566c2e43fa2e35597afaa05f5bd.jpeg

IMG_0916.thumb.jpeg.280d578697a4e4089870783d0c8bd5ce.jpeg

And yes, “snow falls” at the end.  Hard to see in the pic but it happens.

IMG_0915.thumb.jpeg.91e105a8d841fb6bf71834d2e1e1bc37.jpeg

trees in the Lincoln Centre

IMG_0788.thumb.jpeg.e24069066ab07339cf5fb2defd00135b.jpeg

Snowflakes hanging

IMG_0787.thumb.jpeg.f13c231f3022a20f1607d4d4f36a9ef6.jpeg

Beginning of the Christmas celebration

IMG_1031.thumb.jpeg.2295d25e98251f0f954a9e095266e73a.jpeg

they do a nice job.  I highlighted the other things in an earlier post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/18/2023 at 8:27 AM, tigger77732 said:

I am curious as to how much that adorable tree cost? With OBC, that looks like a fantastic idea.

I honestly don’t remember but it was under $50. I couldn’t figure out how to preorder it but Guest Services was very helpful when I inquired.