Large Group on Sky Princess

Tiggipaws

Good morning

I have a carribean cruise booked in December from the 2nd to the 16th  on the Sky Princess. I have just found out that is a very large group booked on from the 9th December, which I know will close venues etc for them. I have made full payment. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Tiggipaws said:

Hi bronzey

I'm not sure but I have read that they shut bars, dining rooms and other spaces for groups 

We've been on the Sky three times in the last 18 months, and yes, they sure do close entire venues for groups. Take 5 is one they use quite regularly, and we've had it closed of from us a number of times, usually for a few hours at a time.  Take 5 is popular for group functions as it is usually quite empty during the day.

I agree - when there are large groups, they do disrupt venues on ships.

I remember once, while enjoying breakfast in the dining room - it suddenly became an award breakfast where someone had a microphone and started awarding awards to his group. Bars and venues were closed through out the week.

I think whenever there is a large group, everyone should be notified as soon as possible and then people can make a decision to sail during that time.

I went to a restaurant in Colorado Springs once that was happening a Porsche gathering (must have been in the party room of the restaurant as we never saw them) but the parking lot was amazing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, it is unfortunately a very large group and from an article I read, it's over 800. 
I'm not a happy camper as I'm booked on this sailing and know areas will be shut off at times to the rest of us. Been there before. We had the pool area closed off, including pizza and grill and other venues. Annoying as all get out. 

As Princess is the official vacation planner for the group, I do feel this should have been told to us while booking. I certainly would have chosen another sailing

Anyone know who we can speak to and find how just how disruptive this will be to our sailing. I need to make sure they don't mess with my sanctuary!  Lol

• Like 11

1 hour ago, chrysalis said:

We were on the Regal with PCA last year.  They certainly had events, but I never noticed anything roped off or closed myself, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I think they had events in the Theater during the day when it was unused.

If I recall there were between 600-800 onboard.  

With that said, we hang out by the pool during the day, so none of their activities impacted our cruise.

• Like 2

Boy that is a tough spot and one question I learned to ask years ago...any very large groups at this hotel or on this ship for our planned time?  I would try to switch the week if you can.  Since Princess partnered with Porsche they will pull out all the stops to cater to this large group and no matter what they tell you that will impact the atmosphere on board the ship and yes close venues.  While they have no obligation to tell you in advance I think if this is of concern they should work with you. Good luck and glad you found out in advance....many will not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Anyone know who we can speak to and find how just how disruptive this will be to our sailing. I need to make sure they don't mess with my sanctuary!  Lol

Perhaps @Tiggipaws can put a word in for your during her(?) first week on board and you be sure to get there early on Dec 9 and you hustle upstairs?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

good luck booking any specialty dining if you haven't already or in a suite

I hear that, but if I happened to be in the situation, we've been to SD enough times that missing it for a week wouldn't kill me.  I'd just order a CG steak from the MDR menu and pay $19.

• Like 2

We have been on with groups that had super limited impact on our experience. In fact, it seemed that there were extra games, music, shows and events (all open to the rest of the cruisers) which perhaps was part of what the group opted to bring onboard. Apart from banners and some promo items around it was no issue at all.

Another time was a Miami Dolphin football cruise which was pretty funny with retired players and cheerleaders…..yes there were events a few times but we actually were not impacted at all.

The WORST was a multi level pyramid company that had about 1/2 the ship. They routinely had closed venue meetings and rah rah sessions all over the ship. The part that was super strange and annoying was they would approach anyone not in the group as fresh blood to bring onto their selling team. It was like dining, playing and talking to someone who might be a telemarketer all day and night. You would start off with a casual conversation and it quickly turned into how you could improve your life, lifestyle and finances by joining the team. I was nicer then and would have a harder time disengaging from the conversation so frequently was trapped!
The current older, wiser me would not tolerate but it was a less than relaxing cruise!

• Like 5

I would bail on that cruise.  Been on a few that had large groups, but none that large.  Even small groups can be obtrusive.  One cruise a small dance group kept popping up in weird places.  One afternoon, a manager made everyone leave most of the Wakeview bar area which they roped off.  The leader of the group showed up with a boom box, and only two or three couples danced.  Not everyone was thrilled with those antics lol!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain k said:

I would bail on that cruise.  Been on a few that had large groups, but none that large.  Even small groups can be obtrusive.  One cruise a small dance group kept popping up in weird places.  One afternoon, a manager made everyone leave most of the Wakeview bar area which they roped off.  The leader of the group showed up with a boom box, and only two or three couples danced.  Not everyone was thrilled with those antics lol!

If I do that I will loose 50% of the fare