Tropical storm warnings this weekend?

tomahawk246

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

If there wasn't a narrow bay to have to traverse, I don't think it would have been canceled.

I don't think this is correct.  Obviously every decision is based on the facts in play at that particular time, and the decision to cancel tomorrow's cruise don't involve the bay.

1.  Vision of the Seas is currently south of the storm due to the last cruise being rerouted from CA/NE because of Hurricane Lee.  In order to return to Baltimore on time, she would have to sail right through the heart of the storm, actually arriving in Baltimore ahead of the storm to be "on time."

1.b. Then the next sailing would had to have sailed back out again, also right through the heart of the storm again as it moved north.

2.  That next sailing was to be a 5 night to Bermuda.  Geography precludes any significant deviation in itinerary, i.e. any late departure means the ship cannot make it to Bermuda and then back home on time for the next cruise, and there are no other foreign ports in range available to visit "instead".  The fact that a Carnival ship is scheduled for the Baltimore berth on Sunday adds to this problem, reducing by an additional day the time available until the next scheduled cruise.

Point #1 is really the only one you need.  Even if Vision was sailing out of Norfolk (meaning no bay to transit from there) there is simply no way they would have had the ship plow through the heart of a border-line tropical storm to keep the required schedule (as described in point #2) OR conducted a turnaround literally in the heart of the storm, which according to the latest track forecast, will be centered over southeast Virginia by 8 PM Saturday night.

This one was just unlucky.  Sometimes that is what you get when you cruise the Atlantic in the fall.

The good news is that according to the company web page, the cancelled folks are getting a full refund plus a 50% off future cruise voucher.  That's really not a bad deal.

Theron

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Who says that? Of course cruises can be cancelled.

You must be the 1% because 99% always say the cruise will only be canceled because of equipment  failure,never for weather because they will just divert the itinerary to somewhere else.

Which isn't the case for Vision it is canceled.

3 minutes ago, merryjewelhound said:

We are staying away from the storm and about midway up Florida. We are not heading north...seem to be just in a holding pattern (my opinion only).

That matches what the ship trackers are saying!

Theron

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

You must be the 1% because 99% always say the cruise will only be canceled because of equipment  failure,never for weather because they will just divert the itinerary to somewhere else.

Which isn't the case for Vision it is canceled.

This is that 1% where the weather affected the port of departure, not "just" the itinerary.  There's nothing you can do about that.

There was a case a few years ago when a storm hit Florida on a weekend.  Obviously all the turnarounds were delayed as no ships could come into port. That first day back, the ports were all way overloaded!

Theron

The wind has already started here in NJ. I’m about an hour south down the coast from Bayonne. We’re supposed to have up to 50mph winds this weekend and a ton of rain. If you do sail out of Cape Liberty and it pouring and you’re checking your luggage, make sure to put your clothes inside of water proof bags inside your luggage. I never check my bags but my Aunt ended up with wet clothes once when we embarked in the rain. They must leave the luggage exposed to the rain for some period of time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

It really didn't.  A low pressure system has been forecast for about a week and showing up on forecast maps for longer than that..  The track wasn't locked in.  As of right now, it's not a tropical storm, but it may become one.

Just officially became a Tropical Storm—Tropical Storm Ophelia

The thing about the Chesapeake and bad weather is the closure of the channels over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. With the storm projected to hit it they will surely close the channels and thus access in and out of the Bay.

I remember in the past a cruise has left and had to anchor in the bay until things opened up a couple days later. 

52 minutes ago, death_star said:

The thing about the Chesapeake and bad weather is the closure of the channels over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. With the storm projected to hit it they will surely close the channels and thus access in and out of the Bay.

I remember in the past a cruise has left and had to anchor in the bay until things opened up a couple days later. 

They also close the Bay Bridge (rt 50) for high winds.  I fully expect they will close the bridge/tunnel (rt 13) as much for storm surge as for wind.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BND said:

They also close the Bay Bridge (rt 50) for high winds.  I fully expect they will close the bridge/tunnel (rt 13) as much for storm surge as for wind.  

Last report from VDOT (6:12 PM), they have restricted "certain types of vehicles" but the bridge/tunnel is still open.

You can go to this page and zoom in on the map to get the latest status.  The Route 50 bay bridge is in Maryland, so not covered by this page:

https://www.511virginia.org/

Theron

1 hour ago, TPKeller said:

Last report from VDOT (6:12 PM), they have restricted "certain types of vehicles" but the bridge/tunnel is still open.

You can go to this page and zoom in on the map to get the latest status.  The Route 50 bay bridge is in Maryland, so not covered by this page:

https://www.511virginia.org/

Theron

I grew up in MD and have lived in the metro area the majority of my life.  High wind warnings restrict high profile vehicles even outside of tropical storms/hurricanes.  I was just making an observation based on years of experience.

15 minutes ago, BND said:

Did anyone say anything different?  

Was curious about where the status was of the actual marine traffic and found that site. Most of the stuff that makes the regular news sites is just about the bay bridge and CBT with car/ truck traffic.

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

Gosh Theron @TPKeller, I haven't seen you on here for a long time! Welcome back! ☺️ Your tip calculator was the handiest thing, back in the day.

Aww, thanks for the very kind words.  As we all know, traditional tipping has been almost universally replaced by automatic charges to your account, so no more need to prepare cash.  I haven't updated it in years, just no more need.

For me, it was a great excuse to keep in touch with the cruise family, even when I didn't have a cruise scheduled!

Theron

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Currently on Serenade heading up the coast on a 12 night repo cruise from Tampa to Boston with a Sunday morning arrival.

We are East of the storm.  The wind has picked up as well as choppy seas. 

Sure was rocking and rolling last night on Serenade 

On 9/22/2023 at 1:39 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

The wind has already started here in NJ. I’m about an hour south down the coast from Bayonne. We’re supposed to have up to 50mph winds this weekend and a ton of rain. If you do sail out of Cape Liberty and it pouring and you’re checking your luggage, make sure to put your clothes inside of water proof bags inside your luggage. I never check my bags but my Aunt ended up with wet clothes once when we embarked in the rain. They must leave the luggage exposed to the rain for some period of time. 

Thanks for this and the pictures, I go out on Thursday and looks like the possibility of rain at this time.  That of course might change, so we will keep an eye on the weather.

On 9/23/2023 at 12:59 AM, TPKeller said:

Aww, thanks for the very kind words.  As we all know, traditional tipping has been almost universally replaced by automatic charges to your account, so no more need to prepare cash.  I haven't updated it in years, just no more need.

For me, it was a great excuse to keep in touch with the cruise family, even when I didn't have a cruise scheduled!

Theron

@TPKeller

See For all of you ''good old days'' people remember the envelope's. It was the worst! in Floataway Lounge. Thought of you when I read the title and especially the OP's statement, "... No one had the right amount of bills so you had to get change at the desk ( a hassle)..."

I had used your Cruise Tip Calculator many times in the good old days and always had the correct amount of the various denominations when boarding. I looked up your user name to see if you were still posting on the boards... and lo and behold! You were!!!

Thank you from me as well as the many others you helped in the past with your tip calculator!!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

Edited to add: BTW, sorry to hijack the thread... back to your regular programing...
Edited by Host Kat
Additional information.
  • Like 1