Make sure your luggage floats

bitob

When unloading luggage today from qm2 in Brooklyn at least 2 full carts of luggage fell in ocean. A lot of angry people. Some luggage floated to surface. We were told they would try to get divers. Very little information shared. Even if they can retrieve luggage everything will surely be ruined. 

I am not making this up

Ohhh, my suitcase is always so full it would sink like a stone.

In my early days of cruising out of NY West side piers, they used a conveyor belt like the one that takes bags into the luggage hold of a plane. They did have a net under it, but I always wondered if bags ever went "overboard" there. The cages always seemed so much more secure. Shows what I know!

Maximum liability for Cunard under the Athens Convention is approx £2500 per person, at least for those who boarded in either Southampton or Hamburg. UK passengers are also required to be insured. Since the USA hasn't signed Athens I'm not sure those on backs to backs have this cover, though equally Cunard probably doesn't want this to be established in a court of law.

4 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Maximum liability for Cunard under the Athens Convention is approx £2500 per person, at least for those who boarded in either Southampton or Hamburg. UK passengers are also required to be insured. Since the USA hasn't signed Athens I'm not sure those on backs to backs have this cover, though equally Cunard probably doesn't want this to be established in a court of law.

Is Cunard deemed responsible rather than the employers of the dock workers?

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Is Cunard deemed responsible rather than the employers of the dock workers?

I'm sure the lawyers will have plenty of things to challenge here. But my take would be that I had entrusted my luggage to Cunard and it was under their control. Plus Cunard can recover their losses from the Port Authority if they were at fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh No! Will they ask people for a list of what was in the suitcase? I would have that when I leave home, but when I’m getting off the ship I just put clean in one case and dirty in the other and balance out the weight with shoes. I would be hard pressed to provide a list. I bet this makes it onto the Today show tomorrow!

This is a very sad and stressful situation for all involved. Thinking of everyone affected by this. 

I know clothes and belongings are just "things" but my husband and I empathize as we have a very specific cruise/travel wardrobe that we've curated over the years. Many are vintage finds and unique pieces. On a sailing with Cunard, most cruisers won't be losing easily replaceable T-Shirts and casual items but formal wear, gowns and other cherished attire. 😞

I'm gutted for everyone who will lose some prized possessions. Also praying for New Yorkers during the floods. Belongings aside, life itself is the most precious treasure and I hope everyone gets through this safely.

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

This is a very sad and stressful situation for all involved. Thinking of everyone affected by this. 

I know clothes and belongings are just "things" but my husband and I empathize as we have a very specific cruise/travel wardrobe that we've curated over the years. Many are vintage finds and unique pieces. On a sailing with Cunard, most cruisers won't be losing easily replaceable T-Shirts and casual items but formal wear, gowns and other cherished attire. 😞

I'm gutted for everyone who will lose some prized possessions. Also praying for New Yorkers during the floods. Belongings aside, life itself is the most precious treasure and I hope everyone gets through this safely.

Agree with your assessment and feelings. We take our best clothes on Cunard so can empathize with those unfortunate souls today who lost their things.

• Like 2

We have lost some irreplaceable pieces but it’s just stuff. It’s not health 

If money can fix it it’s not a problem 

I expect generous compensation from Cunard. My ta has spoken to them already and he agrees. They are well aware that our bags were not filled with shorts and t shirts 

I also have additional insurance if need be 

• Like 1

Leaving San Francisco this year on the WC on the QV, a lady who joined our party was travelling Grills and had her Louis Vuitton cases dropped into the harbour. QV did what we all would have expected, they dry-cleaned the contents pretty swiftly and apologised profusely with a letter and note from House keeping and a senior officer.  Her iPad and "chocolates" were ruined, Cunard replaced both no questions asked.

Fran had an extensive wardrobe and some very expensive accessories but her attitude was that 

they had done what was expected and she wasn't looking for anything more. And ...she was a high powered lawyer. 

I respected her for not screwing the ship for anything more than was expected.

• Like 13

I was a high powered lawyer

irrelevant

I’m  looking for what is expected. Nothing more

not happening as I see it

the luggage gets dropped into the sea through utter negligence, not to be recovered, and they are not being at all proactive 

disgraceful

4 hours ago, bitob said:

I was a high powered lawyer

irrelevant

I’m  looking for what is expected. Nothing more

not happening as I see it

the luggage gets dropped into the sea through utter negligence, not to be recovered, and they are not being at all proactive 

disgraceful

Oh dear me. What are Cunard doing - or not doing?

Cunard staff do not load the luggage. It’s done by port authority workers employed or subcontracted to / by ABP in Southampton. Can’t speak for USA . They (Cunard)load the cages onboard for disembarkation but the moving of them off the ship is handled by the stevedores.

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1