When do receive our Sea Pass Card?

SAS21

It's been almost 4 years since we last cruised. Some things have changed since then. Do we get our seapass cards at check-in or after we are on the ship? We are on Harmony cruising from Galveston, if that makes a difference.

Does anybody know why they got away from issuing the cards at the Check-In counter(s)?  It's not a COVID thing.  They stopped doing it long before COVID.  I liked it better getting it at the counter.  Anybody can walk by the cabins and grab your cards, for nefarious reasons of just kids being kids, whatever, not to mention the inconvenience.  The current system just provides another situation that requires a trip to the Customer Service desk that is already overwhelmed at embarkation time.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Does anybody know why they got away from issuing the cards at the Check-In counter(s)?  It's not a COVID thing.  They stopped doing it long before COVID.  I liked it better getting it at the counter.  Anybody can walk by the cabins and grab your cards, for nefarious reasons of just kids being kids, whatever, not to mention the inconvenience.  The current system just provides another situation that requires a trip to the Customer Service desk that is already overwhelmed at embarkation time.  

Greatly speeds up check in time

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

we usually go get the cards as soon as the rooms open.  We have had the wrong cards delivered to us more than once, so we get them as soon as we can.  When we received the wrong cards, I  brought them to GS.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Also nothing new, Royal was doing this years ago when I started Cruising on them. This time I'd guess it is here to stay, unless at some point goes electronic only 100%

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

They slowly converted ships to the new process.

It greatly speeds up the check-in process.  Agents can now roam with their tablets and not be tied to a counter.

I agree, it probably does happen that someone takes the wrong cards.  Hopefully, it's not that often.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don't doubt that's their excuse.  

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

we usually go get the cards as soon as the rooms open.  We have had the wrong cards delivered to us more than once, so we get them as soon as we can.  When we received the wrong cards, I  brought them to GS.

Exactly, one of a few of my concerns.  

MODIFIED FAMOUS QUOTE:  Those who are willing to give up a little security for convenience deserve neither.  

I remember the cards being in envelops with the party's name or reservation # (I don't remember which) on them, and the envelopes in a box aligned alphabetically or numerically, and the Check-In agent went to the box to get the envelopes after completing the required Check-In minutia.  If the walk is too long, there are plenty of ways to reduce that.  One of the last things the agent did was give you the envelope and ask you to open it, look at the cards, and make sure everything was all right.  I believe they MIGHT be reducing time at the check-in in the terminal at the expense of long lines at the Customer Service desk on the ship, which can take much much much more time to get to the kiosk.  

JMHO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

They slowly converted ships to the new process.

It greatly speeds up the check-in process.  Agents can now roam with their tablets and not be tied to a counter.

I agree, it probably does happen that someone takes the wrong cards.  Hopefully, it's not that often.

Ya, I forgot about them roaming around with just tablets, no real kiosks in many of the terminals anymore.  But, some still do, I think Canaveral still does, unless it's been upgraded since I was there last, last October.  

Anyway, disregard my previous post!

32 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Ya, I forgot about them roaming around with just tablets, no real kiosks in many of the terminals anymore.  But, some still do, I think Canaveral still does, unless it's been upgraded since I was there last, last October.  

Anyway, disregard my previous post!

PC did have the Checkin last time we were there, not tablets 

• Like 1

Your picture shows up when you scan the card, so no real threat of people using your card to make unauthorized purchases.  I've only been on one cruise since covid (another in 2 weeks), but was impressed with the speed of checkin.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 10:00 AM, Ret MP said:

I have been on over 50 cruises since they started issuing cards outside the cabin doors. I have never had any problems with our cards. I also don’t know anyone personally who has had a problem with getting their cards at the cabin. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been on over 50 cruises since they started issuing cards outside the cabin doors. I have never had any problems with our cards. I also don’t know anyone personally who has had a problem with getting their cards at the cabin. 

People seem to make up stuff to complain about. I've never heard anybody post or say their cards were taken before they got to the room. Believe me if it were a regular occurrence it would be all over this board lol.

• Like 5

Last year a friend & I were on the Adventure.  We had separate cabins right next to each other.  We got to the room and got our cards, opened our doors and then were on our way.  My friend for some reason had 2 cards.  When we came back to our cabins, her card wouldn't open her door.  She looks at it and it has someone else's name on it.  Turns out she got the card that belonged to the cabin across from us.  There were supposed to be 2 people in that cabin but one person couldn't make it because there was a hurricane where she lived and her card was in my friend's door.  The other card she had was hers and that's the one she somehow used to initially open the door but it isn't the one she took with her.  😅 Lesson learned...always check the name on your card.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 9:53 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

On 10/13/2023 at 6:03 PM, nferr said:

People seem to make up stuff to complain about. I've never heard anybody post or say their cards were taken before they got to the room. Believe me if it were a regular occurrence it would be all over this board lol.

I never said, nor did I offer quantitative statistics, that it is a guarantee or high possibility that everyone would experience a nefarious situation with the cards sitting in the mailbox at your cabin door.  As a retired security professional, I was just pointing out the possibilities and I'm sure that there are some folks, out there somewhere, who have fallen victim to pranksters or criminal activity.   

So, NO, this isn't made up.  It's just an observation of a very real possibility.  Can anybody state unequivocally that a card hasn't been stolen or pranked from the mailbox at the cabin door?  

Yes, some people look for reasons to complain about something.  But, that ain't me!  It might help to read the words as typed.  My post wasn't a complaint, it was an observation of a possibility based on expertise, and as a discussion on this discussion board.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I never said, nor did I offer quantitative statistics, that it is a guarantee or high possibility that everyone would experience a nefarious situation with the cards sitting in the mailbox at your cabin door.  As a retired security professional, I was just pointing out the possibilities and I'm sure that there are some folks, out there somewhere, who have fallen victim to pranksters or criminal activity.   

So, NO, this isn't made up.  It's just an observation of a very real possibility.  Can anybody state unequivocally that a card hasn't been stolen or pranked from the mailbox at the cabin door?  

Yes, some people look for reasons to complain about something.  But, that ain't me!  It might help to read the words as typed.  My post wasn't a complaint, it was an observation of a possibility based on expertise, and as a discussion on this discussion board.  

What could someone do with a “stolen” card? You couldn’t use it to buy anything on the ship because a person’s picture is tied to their card. I am sitting at the Schooner Bar right now and the bartenders have looked at everyone’s picture when ordering drinks (it’s embarkation day so I will concede they are probably more diligent right now). The only personal information on my card is my name, which is not a big secret. So I don’t understand what someone could do with a “stolen card”. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

NO, this isn't made up.  It's just an observation of a very real possibility.  Can anybody state unequivocally that a card hasn't been stolen or pranked from the mailbox at the cabin door?  

If it were a unacceptable risk or issue, the cruise line would not do it. They have accepted the risk.

There are no 100% absolutes in life (except that you will die). Not sure why "unequivocable proof that a card hasn't been stolen or pranked" is a requirement before implementing a cost saving change. It probably has happened, hopefully caught on camera, and more people are added to the "no sail list". 

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

the bartenders have looked at everyone’s picture when ordering drinks (it’s embarkation day so I will concede they are probably more diligent right now). The only personal information on my card is my name, which is not a big secret. So I don’t understand what someone could do with a “stolen card”. 

"I will concede" that the bartenders have pictures on their terminal of who's supposed to be associated with the card/account.  But, are they really looking, is it just a formality, are they too busy to really look, etc etc etc?   

I could go on and on with story after story of who I've busted for stealing s*^& that had absolutely no value to the thief.  I can not and will not justify the dumb s%#* pranksters and criminals do.  IF I did take a card from the mailbox at the door of the cabin, I'd go very quickly to the busiest bar or retail shop.  Chances are, they are too busy other than to ring up the sail.  Again, I'm not saying that it happens to everybody, every day.  Just that it is possible and I'm very risk-averse when it comes to my money and the safety of my family and friends.  I personally love excitement and danger.  But, that's a whole other story.  

Edited by Ret MP

57 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If it were a unacceptable risk or issue, the cruise line would not do it. They have accepted the risk.

There are no 100% absolutes in life (except that you will die). Not sure why "unequivocable proof that a card hasn't been stolen or pranked" is a requirement before implementing a cost saving change. It probably has happened, hopefully caught on camera, and more people are added to the "no sail list". 

Damn, all I said was that I prefer the old system and why.  I didn't ask for a life lesson.  I don't need a lecture about risk.  My life, literally, is/was full of risk.  My use of "unequivocal" was in response to a couple/few folks who want to use their lack of personal awareness of cards being stolen or pranked as IF it was a near fact that it doesn't happen. I'm sure it has happened and it will again in the future.  

My risk is that if it does happen, will Royal credit my account if I go to customer service and let them know that I didn't find my card where it was supposed to be and there are/were charges on it?  My secondary risk is otherwise unnecessarily having to go to customer service, and probably having to wait in a long line for service.     

It would be nice if RC would follow Celebrity's lead and allow you to go to your stateroom when you first board to collect your Seapass cards and drop off any carryons and return to your stateroom when the general announcement is made that the stateroom rooms are ready.