CEO and team from Miami on Equinox

Orator

51 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Social media seems convinced updated MDR menus are coming yet that could be nothing more than reversing some of the cutbacks

And the reversal of the cutbacks comes at a time when X is increasing revenue by the removal of grats from AI.

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And the reversal of the cutbacks comes at a time when X is increasing revenue by the removal of grats from AI.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2023/07/27/royal-caribbean-cruises-rcl-q2-2023-earnings-call/?awc=12195_1695522404_eae4f8bd81262b21c42e97a911daab0e&utm_campaign=78888&utm_source=aw

With the RCG Q2 earnings call, transcript above, there are multiple references to them raising prices; yet this is the quote that's the most disappointing:

image.thumb.png.3f7e1a695d720509428fa8720690ccde.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2023/07/27/royal-caribbean-cruises-rcl-q2-2023-earnings-call/?awc=12195_1695522404_eae4f8bd81262b21c42e97a911daab0e&utm_campaign=78888&utm_source=aw

With the RCG Q2 earnings call, transcript above, there are multiple references to them raising prices; yet this is the quote that's the most disappointing:

That sounds like they will continue to raise pricing until people stop cruising...

My biggest issue is with all of the cuts and reversals I am not sure what I am going to get on my cruise if I book far out.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

With my personal experience in corporate restructuring and budgeting modifications, this all feels incredibly familiar.   X,  just like numerous other successful companies, devises strategies to further enhance their bottom line profitability whether temporary for short-term results or longer in scope for a more potent outcome.  It remains to be seen if this was the intended strategy from the beginning.  My observation suggests it's a combination of the proposed action plan mixed in with adjustments from customer pushback and decreased revenues from fewer bookings.  Only time will reveal the truth

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

That's disappointing as the current prices are what is keeping us away from Celebrity at the moment. Our last cruise before C on EDGE was incredible, but we can't afford those prices all of the time - and it has become far more expensive since then. We are due to retire and just can't justify a whole year's holidays budget on a 10 / 11 day cruise .. sadly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjfship said:

With my personal experience in corporate restructuring and budgeting modifications, this all feels incredibly familiar.   X,  just like numerous other successful companies, devises strategies to further enhance their bottom line profitability whether temporary for short-term results or longer in scope for a more potent outcome.  It remains to be seen if this was the intended strategy from the beginning.  My observation suggests it's a combination of the proposed action plan mixed in with adjustments from customer pushback and decreased revenues from fewer bookings.  Only time will reveal the truth

They claim demand is high.  Many would prefer to never hear the term "cookiegate" again, yet some theorized it was the catalyst that got them to look at social media and forums like CC more seriously.  Some have claimed to have never complained to X before but that cookiegate triggered them to write a complaint email about every topic that bothered them and not solely a cookiegate complaint.  Regardless, all over social media and review sites for 2023 with X, there are complaints everywhere, and now X has decided they can no longer ignore which IMO is a good thing

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I'm hopeful for dining improvements and soon but don't have much trust left in X.  The cynic in me suspects future bookings targets could be off and/or cancelations are up from the "old guard" of regulars.  Management obviously recognizes they've gone a step too far and is acknowledging the negative feedback both to them (surveys) and about them (social media).  As in, "Uh oh, we need to back up and return a few things (but as few as possible) that our pax have taken for granted for years; that should make them feel good about us again."  Sending the A-Team to the Equinox is good PR, right up there with tossing a bone (Retreat access) to Zeniths, but is still just PR, costing X nothing.  I personally couldn't care less about Retreat access but do care about food quality and selection for ALL venues.  If you haven't seen the painfully anemic regular room service menu, take a look.  No more concierge class breakfast options; no egg choices, just scrambled from that awful frozen liquid egg stuff.  The rest of the regular RS menu has been gutted, too.  However, since RS costs $12 now, its decline has largely gone unnoticed.  

We'll see how things go on my upcoming 16-night cruise.  At best, I'm cautiously hopeful for MDR but not so gullible I don't already have a Plan B = 8 specialty dinners.  Also bringing along a pen to write-in RS requests (remember when there were pens in a regular cabin?) as well as notes to F&B Mgr or HD if/when necessary.  X's slash and burn management this year has caused me to seriously doubt their sincerity.  Reminds me of the old military adage about the chain of command, "they only time they're not lying is when they're lips aren't moving."  I'll believe it when dinner is served.

I hope you have the drink package 😱😁

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They claim demand is high.  Many would prefer to never hear the term "cookiegate" again, yet some theorized it was the catalyst that got them to look at social media and forums like CC more seriously.  Some have claimed to have never complained to X before but that cookiegate triggered them to write a complaint email about every topic that bothered them and not solely a cookiegate complaint.  Regardless, all over social media and review sites for 2023 with X, there are complaints everywhere, and now X has decided they can no longer ignore which IMO is a good thing

It does appear X got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, which had a ripple effect in many other areas leaving a crumb trail of disappointments. Let’s hope it self corrects quickly with the actions of Laura and her team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Wouldn't that be something if it was the case. Straw that broke the camel's back etc. A cut too far. There is something satisfying in thinking that something fairly trivial in and of itself has opened the floodgates to the wider issues people have.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that everything that the ship and crew have within their means to do before the executive visit will be done.  Painting,  furniture swapped out, etc.  The ship will be less worn before the visit.

However I am somewhat skeptical about these visits.  It was this executive team that caused many of the current issues.

I've witnessed many of these bigwig dog-and-pony shows in the corporate world where everything is in tiptop condition for the visitors but nothing changes after they leave.  I do think the onboard managers (I can only speak to Equinox) do the best they can with the significant F&B and staff cuts dictated by corporate.  Sorry to be Debbie Downer (apologies to all Debbies!) but I doubt Laura's recent cruise will result in any positive changes for Celebrity customers.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

If they weren't worried about bookings, then they wouldn't be doing this PR push.  While it may be true that bookings in the short term are fine, what is the feedback they're getting after people sail?  Not just from long-termers but from new cruisers?  I cannot imagine that it is too positive.  You don't brag about demand and then run the 3/4 person (kids) sail free promotion shortly thereafter if something they're seeing isn't spooking them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

If they weren't worried about bookings, then they wouldn't be doing this PR push.  While it may be true that bookings in the short term are fine, what is the feedback they're getting after people sail?  Not just from long-termers but from new cruisers?  I cannot imagine that it is too positive.  You don't brag about demand and then run the 3/4 person (kids) sail free promotion shortly thereafter if something they're seeing isn't spooking them. 

Yes bookings are good.....but thats because people are still using their old FCC from when they cancelled during covid.  The future will not be so.  There is just so much garbage you can feed people ( food or other stuff)  This is the first time we are cruising  since 2008 where we have no other future cruises booked.  Only going on this one since it was booked years ago.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

It has been reported that they are dining in the MDR.  Dollars to doughnuts a lot more care and attention is being given to the preparation and serving of meals while they are onboard.  I highly doubt anyone receives a lukewarm meal while the team is aboard. 

Or wait ~30 minutes between courses as was our experience on Equinox recently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I think while CookieGate was a small issue it was the issue that broke the camels back.

For the group that thought that Celebrity was justified in raising prices due to the pandemic, it made it look like Celebrity was going out of business and were desperate and had to resort to such cheesy measures.

For the group that was tired of being nickeled and dimed by Celebrity,  Cookiegate was the epitome of Nickel and Diming.

I pay thousands of dollars for a cruise and they are going to charge me for a flippin cookie?

Cookiegate demonstrated that Celebrity corporate is truly out of touch with their customers.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, nikel said:

Yes bookings are good.....but thats because people are still using their old FCC from when they cancelled during covid.  The future will not be so.  There is just so much garbage you can feed people ( food or other stuff)  This is the first time we are cruising  since 2008 where we have no other future cruises booked.  Only going on this one since it was booked years ago.

Hi Penney and Herb,

Was it really 2008 since we cruised with you?

Have a great trip across the pond we will be ahead of you on Reflection. Geoff and the boss (Anita).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

Hi Penney and Herb,

Have a great trip across the pond we will be ahead of you on Reflection. Geoff and the boss (Anita).

Up date from the boss (Anita) - of course it was 2018 they were with us for our Golden Wedding Anniversary. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

Hi Penney and Herb,

No it was much later than 2008, but I can't remember the year, somewhere in the late teens.

Too bad we are not on the same TA, but we wanted the feel of a new ship. Hope you are both well and enjoy your cruise.  

We are set to go on Equinox in November, and after reading about all changes ( and not positive ones), hard to be optimistic. But we will have an open mind and evaluate if the experience worth the price. Just because big cheeses visited the ship, X will not go back to the what they used to be - beloved CruiseLine by many.  As long they can sell cruises, they will continue to do it.

They already Not a line of luxury. Just another middle of the road line. Even Retreat is not more superior than NCL Haven or MSC YC. I think old X had sailed to no return.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2023 at 10:28 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Social media seems convinced updated MDR menus are coming yet that could be nothing more than reversing some of the cutbacks

IMO that concept is coming from this which doesn't provide any specific details. Even if people still complain about perceived quality of the food, all of the MDR/Blu/Luminae menus need a significant refresh. People will get mad they can't get their favorite dish from 2013 but all of the menus are very tired at this point. 

Screenshot2023-10-04at9_32_12AM.thumb.png.ce54a037020dfa41f3bf4e7fdd8d683b.png 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

IMO that concept is coming from this which doesn't provide any specific details. Even if people still complain about perceived quality of the food, all of the MDR/Blu/Luminae menus need a significant refresh. People will get mad they can't get their favorite dish from 2013 but all of the menus are very tired at this point. 

Screenshot2023-10-04at9_32_12AM.thumb.png.ce54a037020dfa41f3bf4e7fdd8d683b.png 

@Jeremiah1212 Was this something that was sent out to TAs? I'm very curious about the "fleet wine list update" because over the last 10 months it's been entirely downhill!

3 hours ago, nikel said:

No it was much later than 2008, but I can't remember the year, somewhere in the late teens.

Too bad we are not on the same TA, but we wanted the feel of a new ship. Hope you are both well and enjoy your cruise.  

As you saw Anita knew the year straight away. 

Glad to say we are both well but a little more restricted in what we can do ashore as Anita now uses a 4 Wheeled Rollator (walker).

Our grandson in Dallas gets more and more American with every visit. Although he l still insists that we have at least one day riding the trains or trams the main focus of his time is Ice Hockey.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Is it coincidental that 28 million Americans had to resume making student loan payments this month?  Those payments which have been suspended since covid are reportedly putting a major crimp in many peoples discretionary cash flow.  Wouldn't be surprised if new reservations are falling and existing ones are being cancelled at FP date.  This would especially impact their targeted younger demographic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1